• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The PS3 Thread.

Foxstar

lol reggin
Triple post

ShagsterP

Don't get me wrong. I hate the current marketing scheme of downloadable content. DLC is meant to stretch out the longevity of games, not purposely hold back pre-made content that should be unlockable via game tasks only to have us pay for it within the first week of the game's release date. Thank Microsoft for bringing that nice little tactic to the console world. They made it laughably bad by disguising their downloadable "content" as keys to unlock content that already existed on the disc to begin with; always finding ways to squeeze bucks out of the little guy (not that you would care about money, Foxstar), and now everybody's jumped on the same boat.

But like I said, Home is supposed to reward you not only with trophies for completing tasks, but also clothing and furniture via in-game goals. That's the intent, anyway. I don't know what the ratio of game rewards to microtransactions will be, but I'm more anxious for the rewards. I have a Gamefly membership, so it would be even more in my interest to play certain games in order to get specific rewards. I can't speak for everyone else, but that makes things even more fun to me; a game within a game.

And yea, I heard about WB's shift to blu-ray. That's a hefty blow right there, but this HD war is still going to last for some time.

Foxstar

lol reggin
ShagsterP said:
Don't get me wrong. I hate the current marketing scheme of downloadable content. DLC is meant to stretch out the longevity of games, not purposely hold back pre-made content that should be unlockable via game tasks only to have us pay for it within the first week of the game's release date. Thank Microsoft for bringing that nice little tactic to the console world. They made it laughably bad by disguising their downloadable "content" as keys to unlock content that already existed on the disc to begin with; always finding ways to squeeze bucks out of the little guy (not that you would care about money, Foxstar), and now everybody's jumped on the same boat.

But like I said, Home is supposed to reward you not only with trophies for completing tasks, but also clothing and furniture via in-game goals. That's the intent, anyway. I don't know what the ratio of game rewards to microtransactions will be, but I'm more anxious for the rewards. I have a Gamefly membership, so it would be even more in my interest to play certain games in order to get specific rewards. I can't speak for everyone else, but that makes things even more fun to me; a game within a game.

And yea, I heard about WB's shift to blu-ray. That's a hefty blow right there, but this HD war is still going to last for some time.

Why wouldn't I care about money?

And I'm just jaded. At least from what Sony's shown me so far, it seems like it's going to be their way of getting in on that microtranaction gravy boat with a small sprinkling of free stuff for the poor people, but if it turns out to be more like Live, then i'm all for it.

Fausk

Foxstar said:

And I'm just jaded. At least from what Sony's shown me so far, it seems like it's going to be their way of getting in on that microtranaction gravy boat with a small sprinkling of free stuff for the poor people, but if it turns out to be more like Live, then i'm all for it.

My question would be why do you think Sony wants to nickel and dime everyone when they're making Home available -for free- as compared to Live's yearly fee. Not to mention Sony GAVE US the tools necessary to make our own themes, where as people on Xbox Live have to -pay- for WALLPAPERS.

Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. And from what I've -heard- so far about Home is that you will have a selection of clothing and furniture to choose from when you first start up Home, and that you will only have to purchase additional -packs- if you want to get down into it for even further customization. But no one's twisting your wrist or forcing you to download the packs, and you're not going to be missing out on anything if you don't.

Not to mention, Sony's download content is completely different from Live's. Sony allows you to purchase and download cars for Need for Speed, but there's a nice little disclaimer there that says you can automatically unlock them -for free- if you actually play through the game. It's like paying for a 1-900 tip back in the day instead of having to play through on your own. Not to mention the free Folklore holiday packs that went out. And some games are made for Download content, like Rock Band, new songs every week, you can't exactly make a disc that magically has that many tracks on it to begin with. Especially when essentially it provides more content without having to buy a full version of the game again.

I haven't seen Sony once try to nickel and dime people to unlock stuff that's already on the game discs. Everything added to their store so far is all additional add on content that enhances the life of the game past it's initial shelf life.

Then again, what would you know? You're only using your PS3 to play Final Fantasy XI.

Foxstar

lol reggin
Fausk said:
Foxstar said:

My question would be why do you think Sony wants to nickel and dime everyone when they're making Home available -for free- as compared to Live's yearly fee. Not to mention Sony GAVE US the tools necessary to make our own themes, where as people on Xbox Live have to -pay- for WALLPAPERS.

Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. And from what I've -heard- so far about Home is that you will have a selection of clothing and to choose from when you first start up Home, and that you will only have to purchase additional -packs- if you want to get down into it for even further customization. But no one's twisting your wrist or forcing you to download the packs, and you're not going to be missing out on anything if you don't.

Not to mention, Sony's download content is completely different from Live's. Sony allows you to purchase and download cars for Need for Speed, but there's a nice little disclaimer there that says you can automatically unlock them -for free- if you actually play through the game. It's like paying for a 1-900 tip back in the day instead of having to play through on your own. Not to mention the free Folklore holiday packs that went out. And some games are made for Download content, like Rock Band, new songs every week, you can't exactly make a disc that magically has that many tracks on it to begin with. Especially when essentially it provides more content without having to buy a full version of the game again.

I haven't seen Sony once try to nickel and dime people to unlock stuff that's already on the game discs. Everything added to their store so far is all additional add on content that enhances the life of the game past it's initial shelf life.

Then again, what would you know? You're only using your PS3 to play Final Fantasy XI.

So? What I do with my PS3 does not negate what I know, nor is FFXI the ONLY thing I use my PS3 for. Nice try however though it's a fail. As for Home, it's very nature makes it almost unthinkable that there's going to be a huge amount of free clothing and furniture open at the start, more will have to be bought then will be free. That's what I'm saying, it's the old razor blade service model, give em the razor, make them buy the blades. Yes, you can create free wallpapers on PS3, but you know what? You can create them on Xbox too after a fashion if you have the dev kit, you could even make your own avatars.

As for free downloadable content, my god, that's great. But Sony isn't the only one who does it, in fact their DLC models are almost the same. And while your railing on Microsoft and Live, keep this in mind, it's the game's dev who comes up and prices the DLC, not Microsoft. There's just as much if not MORE free DNC on Live then PSN, plus the power to try out every single Live Arcade game for free without buying, where only 2 or three of the PSN titles let you do that. Plus XMB, game tracking, etc.

Home will be Sony's 'nickle and dime' attempt. It's Sony after all, home of rootkits, proprietary formats and the "Bend over, it's rape time for the wallet." mindset. Could it end up being bigger and better then Live? Maybe, but not if they are going for Habbo on PS3.

I got a PS3. and i am registered in the PS3 network, the name is Iridin.
I only have Assassins Creed. but im looking to get Folklore, FFXIII, MGS4, Eye of Judgement, and Haze. maybe more. and the kewl thing is! since i work at EB games i can get all the best games when they come out hehe

Tudd

Foxstar said:
I knew people were going to push the limits as far as they could unless the game forbid it so..

Only time will tell how far people will take it before some restrictions come into play. Hopefully we dont end with a "Halo online" type environment.

Tudd

Haseo-The-Terror-Of-Death said:
I only have Assassins Creed. but im looking to get Folklore, FFXIII, MGS4, Eye of Judgement, and Haze. maybe more. and the kewl thing is! since i work at EB games i can get all the best games when they come out hehe

You've got a pretty good looking wanted list, Eye of Judgement and Folklore would be the two exceptions for me. Haze and MGS are definately on the top of my list. FINALLY a functioning (able to walk) first person view in MGS. Amazing story, attention to details, game mechanics, etc, yet I've never been good at 'em because of the third person view. I realize that there are times third is better, but im much more effective at shooting in first.

How do you find Assassins Creed? Many have complained of glitches but a friend and I have played the first hour or two with no sight of anything serious.

ShagsterP

Tudd said:
How do you find Assassins Creed? Many have complained of glitches but a friend and I have played the first hour or two with no sight of anything serious.

I'm playing that right now from Gamefly. They updated with a 1.1 patch that cleared up some freezing and framerate issue, so that might be what you've heard about.

hkMolotov

Got a 60GB PS3 before they went to software-only PS2 emulation, and so far I'm loving it. There are some niggling flaws with it like the controller's sticks being too loose and the triggers being too tight, no rear USB ports, cumbersome firmware and game updates, not being able to just turn the system OFF without reaching my hand all the way in the back, audio and video output switching isn't automatic, not to mention the inability to read my messages and check my friend's list in-game. But besides all that it's great.

The interface is nice and simplistic, amazing PSP connectivity, Wi-Fi and HDD STANDARD, and being able to download content onto the harddrive really makes it a valuable multimedia hub. The platform still needs some work but so far it's driven me to sell my Xbox 360. It's just got more going for it right now than either system. Home, the support for user-created content, unrestricted PSN games, etc. Their downloadable games are better and more innovative, and I just like the whole look of the system. It's nice and big, very imposing without looking ridiculous. It's basically everything I wish the Xbox 360 was.

Fausk

They're adding in-game XMB support sometime this year, hkMolotov, which will give access to the friends list and ability to read messages while in game. I haven't missed it too much personally, but it is a small hinderance.

I'm personally waiting for Home, hoping that it'll have ways to play some of those Playstation Store games multiplayer, or that they'll just add multiplayer support. To Super Stardust HD in particular.

hypr

My wanted list so far is Oblivion, Shivering Isles addon for Oblivion, Devil May Cry 4, FF XIII and GTA 4, I already put PS Ubuntu on it, but am curious about YellowDog Linux...

Tudd said:
Haseo-The-Terror-Of-Death said:

You've got a pretty good looking wanted list, Eye of Judgement and Folklore would be the two exceptions for me. Haze and MGS are definately on the top of my list. FINALLY a functioning (able to walk) first person view in MGS. Amazing story, attention to details, game mechanics, etc, yet I've never been good at 'em because of the third person view. I realize that there are times third is better, but im much more effective at shooting in first.

well...i actually sold it, too many glitches.... MGS ALL DA WAY!

Im getting FFXI, FFXIII, DMC4, MGS4, Haze, ES: Oblivion Game of the year edition. its got all expansions! even eye of the nine!

Arbiter

Totally Gay For Bridget!!
i got Rock Band for the PS3 yeterday. deffianlty worth it, even at it's price

DJDarkViper

The Silent Hunter...
without having read the past 5 pages:

I am a damn proud owner of a 80g PS3, though i do own both the 360 (Premium) and the PS3 (and im a proud owner of both :))

my PSN is DJDarkViper, and so far i own:
- Uncharted Drakes Fortune
- Motorstorm
- Eye of Judegment
- Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
- Syphon Filter (download)

I have fully prepaid:
- MGS4 ($90 game?! i swear i got screwed XD)
- Haze
- GTA4 (no im not buying this for 360, downloadable content or not)
- Devil May Cry 4

i dont have an HDTV in any sense so i have really invested in blu-ray movies yet. That HDTV purchase comes in a month or so :)

Tudd

DJDarkViper said:
without having read the past 5 pages:

I am a damn proud owner of a 80g PS3, though i do own both the 360 (Premium) and the PS3 (and im a proud owner of both :))

my PSN is DJDarkViper, and so far i own:
- Uncharted Drakes Fortune
- Motorstorm
- Eye of Judegment
- Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
- Syphon Filter (download)

I have fully prepaid:
- MGS4 ($90 game?! i swear i got screwed XD)
- Haze
- GTA4 (no im not buying this for 360, downloadable content or not)
- Devil May Cry 4

i dont have an HDTV in any sense so i have really invested in blu-ray movies yet. That HDTV purchase comes in a month or so :)

Noticed no CoD4. :p As for those prepaids its looking pretty good cept for that Haze delay. Congrats on making the "right" choice when it comes to GTA. (Flame bait, hence the quotations) In the case of MGS, you'd better be getting the limited edition.

HDTV shopping is a pain these days. But we've got laser based sets to look forward too! Finally better performance (black level, response time, motion resolution, etc) than plasma without the burn in. Well, not just yet. But the technology is promising. It means never having to buy replacement bulbs for your projectors or RPTV's as well as no fading in the colour. I've been holding off waiting for something other than LCD because I personally cannot stand it compared to my good 'ol CRT.

Whatever you buy, enjoy it. Keep in mind all you "PS3 sucks" and "get away xbots" people, if no one bought one of the consoles, many would be laid off. Its how consumerism works. Don't destroy it because you're pissed off the world doesnt agree with you.

DJDarkViper

The Silent Hunter...
Tudd said:
Noticed no CoD4. :p As for those prepaids its looking pretty good cept for that Haze delay. Congrats on making the "right" choice when it comes to GTA. (Flame bait, hence the quotations) In the case of MGS, you'd better be getting the limited edition.

HDTV shopping is a pain these days. But we've got laser based sets to look forward too! Finally better performance (black level, response time, motion resolution, etc) than plasma without the burn in. Well, not just yet. But the technology is promising. It means never having to buy replacement bulbs for your projectors or RPTV's as well as no fading in the colour. I've been holding off waiting for something other than LCD because I personally cannot stand it compared to my good 'ol CRT.

Whatever you buy, enjoy it. Keep in mind all you "PS3 sucks" and "get away xbots" people, if no one bought one of the consoles, many would be laid off. Its how consumerism works. Don't destroy it because you're pissed off the world doesnt agree with you.

Actually i own COD4 for my Xbox360, no need to get it on the PS3.

Yes the Haze delay was dissapointing
And i think i did get the limited edition of MGS4, i dunno. I doubt it thought cause the receipt is only saying "Metal Gear Solid 4".

GTA4 is home on the PS3, because GTA was designed for Playstation in the first place (from this i mean 3 and beyond, not the top downs on computers). I own ALL of the GTAs (including those top downs) on both the PS2 and Xbox (sets for the win). They just do NOT feel right on the xbox platform. Sure GTA3 Xbox edition had better graphics, but you could feel that it just wasn't designed with it in mind. Therefore i spent alot of time with the DualShock2 pad and GTA.
Same goes for DMC4, minus owning the ports.

AS for the flaming from the SDF and Xbots, Eh, whatev's. I proudly own both so i get the best of both worlds. The toughest choice now is for the multiplatforms, and which one to buy for what. Ive set down a deliminator:

Platform of choice: Playstation 3.
Exclusives and Multiplayer Hardcore focus Multiplatform: Xbox 360
Everything else: Playstation 3.
Of course, i cant forget my PC either ;)

Tudd

DJDarkViper said:
Actually i own COD4 for my Xbox360, no need to get it on the PS3.

Yes the Haze delay was dissapointing
And i think i did get the limited edition of MGS4, i dunno. I doubt it thought cause the receipt is only saying "Metal Gear Solid 4".

GTA4 is home on the PS3, because GTA was designed for Playstation in the first place (from this i mean 3 and beyond, not the top downs on computers). I own ALL of the GTAs (including those top downs) on both the PS2 and Xbox (sets for the win). They just do NOT feel right on the xbox platform. Sure GTA3 Xbox edition had better graphics, but you could feel that it just wasn't designed with it in mind. Therefore i spent alot of time with the DualShock2 pad and GTA.
Same goes for DMC4, minus owning the ports.

AS for the flaming from the SDF and Xbots, Eh, whatev's. I proudly own both so i get the best of both worlds. The toughest choice now is for the multiplatforms, and which one to buy for what. Ive set down a deliminator:

Platform of choice: Playstation 3.
Exclusives and Multiplayer Hardcore focus Multiplatform: Xbox 360
Everything else: Playstation 3.
Of course, i cant forget my PC either ;)

I wish I was willing to buy a 360 but Im working on building up a decent A/V setup first. It all started with a DIY subwoofer... just so happens it ended up being 6' x 2' x 2' instead of 2' cube. Speakers are next. I've got a good number of friends playing on both consoles so it makes it difficult when you only have one. All in due time...

I've noticed that games that run at 60 FPS on consoles tend to feel surreal. Similar to the difference you see between film (24 FPS) and a consumer video camera (29.99 FPS). The film has a nature look to the motion while the faster frame rate looks too fast. This seems to be the biggest difference between 360 and PS3. Yet I oddly prefer what many consider inferior. 30 is more visually pleasing to my eye as long as you're maintaining 60 Hz refresh rate on a progressive set.

Gotta love the PC, yet hate the upgrades... Its a love-hate thing, but my priorities are changing.

ShagsterP

Tudd said:
Gotta love the PC, yet hate the upgrades... Its a love-hate thing, but my priorities are changing.

Tell me about it. I just spent three days troubleshooting new memory I bought that ended up simply being defective. Sending those back and ordered some new replacements. Coupling that with a 64-bit OS, I'll be running with 4 gigs.

And is it just me, or does anybody else wish these consoles would update their online stores more often than once a week? The Japanese PSN often updates multiple times a week with new content. It's not a major issue, but I just find it more exciting to check the store periodically day by day, hoping to see something new, rather than going an entire week by routine.

And I still want a screenshot function to be implemented. All they have to do is make it that when you hit the PS button, that the screen doesn't go entirely black, and add a "Take Screenshot" option in the menu. The shot could go directly to the photo section. I want that, damn it...