• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The PS3 Thread.

Tudd

ShagsterP said:
Tell me about it. I just spent three days troubleshooting new memory I bought that ended up simply being defective. Sending those back and ordered some new replacements. Coupling that with a 64-bit OS, I'll be running with 4 gigs.

And is it just me, or does anybody else wish these consoles would update their online stores more often than once a week? The Japanese PSN often updates multiple times a week with new content. It's not a major issue, but I just find it more exciting to check the store periodically day by day, hoping to see something new, rather than going an entire week by routine.

And I still want a screenshot function to be implemented. All they have to do is make it that when you hit the PS button, that the screen doesn't go entirely black, and add a "Take Screenshot" option in the menu. The shot could go directly to the photo section. I want that, damn it...

Haha, I remember when having 2 gigs was considered insane. Now we're onto DDR3.

The thought never even crossed my mind. The only thing that I truely wished was updated more was the firmware. But with that being said PS3 and PSP already get updates much faster than 360 so theres not much need to improve upon something which you're beating your only competitor in.

The day we get a screenshot tool... Theres still no in-game XMB. If we dont have that yet then imagine how long it'd be till we got that.

hypr

my PSN is hyprthecat

I have

Dark Kingdom
CoD3
CoD4
The Orange Box
and Motorstorm

I mainly play CoD4 online its very addictive. I really loved Portal though, pity Half Life 2 wasn't multiplayer though.

Tudd

Hey Hypr,

Did you get a chance to take a look at the CoD4 thread yet? If not, we're trying to gather interest in a clan. If you're interested let us know, if not I'll still add ya anyways.

ShagsterP

Tudd said:
Hey Hypr,

Did you get a chance to take a look at the CoD4 thread yet? If not, we're trying to gather interest in a clan. If you're interested let us know, if not I'll still add ya anyways.

Hmm, this might give me reason enough to go ahead and pick up CoD4 now instead of waiting for my Battlefield chums to get their PS3s. I swear, though, if it's a "FUREEZ!!!" clan, I'll just kill myself...

Also, just wanted to note to most that it's obvious why in-game XMB access is getting delayed. Home is a pretty massive endeavor and it's obviously going to have a lot of in-game and out-of-game interaction. I'm sure they're holding off XMB support until Home releases and either include it as its own function or something that's a part of Home. We'll see.

Tudd

Seeing as at least a quarter of the games I end up in have someone who's socially challenged (racist, etc.) it would in our best interest to keep the "Furry" aspect on the down-low. Just a clan of a group of people with common interests, to play the game. Clans tend to take that one step further, changing from play to win.

In-game XMB is starting to get to me. Messaging within games is impossible forcing you to exit and restart the game to send your message. Luckily with CoD4 this takes almost no time at all, unlike RS:V which seemed to spend just as much time loading as you do in the game. Also, why delete the cache everytime you play a different game? (RS:V) Theres a reason why PS3 has a HDD, why not use it? Oh well, if its out for Resistance 2 I'll be fine.

hypr

Sure I am interested, just give me a shout on PS3 Online.

Foxstar

lol reggin
DJDarkViper said:
GTA4 is home on the PS3, because GTA was designed for Playstation in the first place

Yet it's the 360 version of GTA that will be the complete game, not the PS3 version. Also, your bias is showing.

Tudd

Foxstar said:
Yet it's the 360 version of GTA that will be the complete game, not the PS3 version. Also, your bias is showing.

Interesting choice of words. It makes no logical sense for the two extra missions to have much relivence to main story seeing as PS3 users would not get the entire story. What you'll most likely end up with are two missions which have no effect on the story. If they don't relate to the story then do they not qualify for "bonus" content instead of part of the "complete game"?

Foxstar

lol reggin
Tudd said:
Interesting choice of words. It makes no logical sense for the two extra missions to have much relivence to main story seeing as PS3 users would not get the entire story.

No, it's perfectly logical. Microsoft paid $50 million dollars for it. PS3 ports being subpar to the 360 version are nothing new at all, it's almost a trend.

Tudd

Foxstar said:
No, it's perfectly logical. Microsoft paid $50 million dollars for it. PS3 ports being subpar to the 360 version are nothing new at all, it's almost a trend.

A subpar port and a port missing key parts of the story are entirely different issues. A subpar port would take its form in graphics and framerate not missing parts of the storyline.

Theres no point in arguing this one seeing as there have been no offical announcements made nor have there been any rumours regarding the continuity of the episodic content.

On a side note, Microsoft paid $50 million to have end users pay them for extra content.

ShagsterP

Why is the "subpar" claim already being shouted? The game isn't even released yet. Not only that, but the series took its first big leaps on Playstation technology and Rockstar devs are no idiots when it comes to programming on their systems. I doubt there's much to worry about when it comes to differences. In any case, as long as I get to play it, I couldn't care less about it being on both systems or comparing the two.

And it always instills within me a swelling of pride whenever Microsoft fires a cannon of money at something to make things all better. "American Dream no jutsu!!!"

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
GTA4's home is whoever throws the most money at them.

The GTA3's were PS2 exclusives because Sony paid them to be.

ShagsterP

That's obviously true, but it wasn't as heated back then as it is now. The mentality was more like "Hey, this GTA3 game looks promising. Let's get it on our system", and nobody really put up a fight. But today, here comes the big M dumping truckloads of money and handing over free islands in the Pacific just for "Make our version BETTERZOMG!!!1"

I don't know. I honestly can't stand Phil Harrison (executive vice president of Sony Europe and major rep) and his douchebag personality (I miss "RIIIIIIDGE RACEEEEERRRRR" Kaz), but I also have a beef against Microsoft's sledgehammer tactics and all the suit-and-tie cronies that Gates has in charge valuing profit maximization over all else in the industry.

Tudd

You dont see it? Microsoft is an American buisness which seems to take after the type of company that people like Carnegie formed back in the late 1800's. Using tactics which some may consider to be unskillful such as monitary incentive.

Sony is a Japanese buisness which (recently) has been relying on a honour system for maintaining buisness partners in their video game division. The aplication of which in this case being the profits seen from sales from earlier consoles create the impression of Sony consoles always selling the most. Therefore companys benifit from staying with Sony because they have A) experience with the dealing with Sony, and B) large pre-existing fanbase compared to the unknown one on the competing console. Now Sony might just be much more discrete in executing such tactics as payoffs etc. This we don't know, but most of these payoffs tend to show up sooner or later.

Set the two against each other and you're in for some interesting action. At the end of the day its all just buisness to them and fun or confusion, depending on how you look at it, for the end user. Its funny how people claim console wars are healthy then turn around and say HD format wars are pointless. Make up your mind on whether or not you like monopolies. With one format, they set the price and can then take as long as they want to lower prices. Downside being, HD downloads are becoming more accessible. Seeing as people dont care at all about quality (Music downloads vs. CD sales) HD downloads if the price and file sizes are right might just have a good chance.

This has become an endless rambling on of my thoughts about the entertainment industry at the moment. Hope you don't agree and point out something stupid I've said seeing as I'm too tired to read through it. Enjoy!

ShagsterP

Ehhh, I wouldn't go so far as to start mentioning some kind of weird honor system, but still, I like Sony's and Nintendo's business practices better. Besides, Sony may originate in Japan, but it's not situated there, what with there being Sony of America, Sony of Europe, etc. I DO like the fact that they tap a lot of Japanese gaming resources and I get to see many of the creative type of games that I like come over here from Japan (I'm hyped for Shirohiki Monogatari/'White Knight Chronicles'); that's just me, personally.

Anyway, I just got Uncharted from Gamefly, so I'm going to give this a go. Anybody else getting Dynasty Warriors 6 next month? I'm a long time fan of that series, and even though I know it's most unlikely, I still wish for an online mode in that game. DW: Gundam left a sour taste in my mouth...

Tudd

No more late night rants for me. As for DW6, the only way I'd buy it is if I liked the demo and the last one wasnt good enough to warrent a purchase.

ShagsterP

I'll give you this, though. I do wish I could play through Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey completely. However, I'm getting real pissed off with the consumer mentality in general on what makes a compelling RPG and how that frame of mind is taking over. I hate how they say a game such as Lost Odyssey isn't as "complex or deep" as Mass Effect because of its turn based style, and how people complain about that: "Wah wah wah, an actual challenge. The actual need to think ahead and plan out my turns with intelligence. What?! I need to scrounge and fight hard through battles?! Waaahhh, me can't shoot things or button mash to swing sword and kill things!"

Mass Effect, as good a game as it is, isn't as deep as people like to give it credit for, at least when it comes to RPG game mechanics (not talking about the literal "role playing" aspects). You customize, then you point and shoot at everything and let the numbers crunch in the background; that's apparently "deep and complex", even though most of the events are set up for you to win instead of giving you a real challenge.

Ah well, here's to hoping that Mass Effect eventually makes its way to PC and Lost Odyssey to the PS3.

Tudd

Personally I havn't even watching or read anything about Mass Effect because I own a PS3 with no real intent to buy a 360 anytime soon. As I've already said in another thread I don't like following game development period. The most I've heard about it was the ramblings of a friend of mine whos main point was, you can shoot the NPC's talking to you dead during conversation. That and the potential endings. Wasn't enough for me to justify watching a gameplay video. You can't convince the hardcore FPS crowd to even try turn based games. It just doesn't satisfy the adrenaline rush that FPS games do.

I'd say the biggest thing I dislike about Oblivion was the fact that the combat was horrible... If it isnt remotely realistic damage then I'd greatly prefer turn based because it provides a challenge. But in the eyes of the critics Oblivion was one of the greatest things that happened to RPG's. Now Mass Effect has taken it one step further.

ShagsterP

Okay, since I might as well keep this thread more PS3-related, has anybody else been interested in that free action MMO called The Agency? I've been keeping up with the development of it and I have to say, I really like how innovative and enthusiastic the developers are with it. More studios should start using real-world interaction, like phone text messages and such to immerse you in the experience. The game sounds like fun so far.

Tudd

I can say I'm actually really excited about The Agency now! After watching the four part interview/demonstration on GT.com I say this ones looking great so far. The Matrix Online was getting closer to what I was looking for from an MMO, but this hits it right on. Its actually not hopeless for lower levels to attempt to attack higher levels if they've got exceptional shooting skills and luck. Headshots actually inflict more damage than other body parts ect. Similar to almost any other shooter.

Another tidbit of news, RS:V2 for PS3 will not be a port, uses U3 engine (same as first one), developed in Canada. :p All good news in my opinon. Just not sure if it all would be considered news at this point.

ShagsterP

Yea, I liked the energy from that rep in those videos. It's easy to tell they're really excited about all the things they can do with the game. A friend and I played a lot of MxO's beta and had a great time; it's too bad they did a rush release and didn't nail most of the game-breaking bugs, but I appreciated the more exciting combat and higher character customization (something that's strangely lacking in even the most popular MMOs). That aspect has to be heavy for me, or I won't be interested in playing online, so The Agency is appealing for the fact that it's a twitch skill online game and doesn't just rely on what level you are compared to everybody. Guess that's why I was a fan of the original Phantasy Star Online, too. Good times.

Tudd

Now all thats left is the wait... My favourite part! In the mean time it'll be CoD4 for me. Still throwing around the idea of picking up a copy Shagster? :p I'd say lets play some RS:V but I'm afraid I'd get wrecked.

ShagsterP

I don't plan on getting a console version of CoD4 solely for the fact that they only support a maximum of 18 players online, while the PC version supports up to 32. Even that's sort of low compared to the usual 64 max of Battlefield that I'm used to on the PC.

And I've never once played RS:V online. Ever. I don't know what it is, but it's hard to pop my online cherry with a game until someone says "Hey, let's do this". Otherwise, I'm turned off by the idea of jumping online all by myself. I play Battlefield a lot because of Teamspeak and friends, but until the PS3 makes it easier to contact people via headsets while in game, I don't know how much spontaneous online playing I'll be doing.