• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The PS3 Thread.

hypr

I had a few friends speak highly about Oblivion, and we all know DMC4 will be a great hit, I need to have time to complete DMC3 I probably won't be on CoD4 for a few days, I know the glitches are all and good.

I plan on getting Oblivion Game of the year edition, DMC4 , and Grand Theft Auto 4, and FFXIII until it comes out, its gonna be a good year for games I think.

Tudd

Shagster,
But do you play in games with those large ammounts of people in them? Personally in a game like CoD4 I prefer this number of people. Always have, right from the start with CoD1 for the PC. Same thing applied when I played CoD2. BF is a totally different story because the maps change size as you get more people.

Hypr,
Oblivion has its fair share of glitches. Some quests become uncompletable because certain characters simply disappear. For the most part its pretty good though. It does look like a good year for games.

hypr

Tudd : I shouldn't worry about Oblivion should I like there is always updates for games right ?

ShagsterP

I haven't heard of any game breaking stuff like that in Oblivion, so I wouldn't worry. Haven't run across any issues myself, either.

As for CoD4, I've seen at least two people on my friends list playing the game, so I'm thinking it over again. I usually play Battlefield with an average of 40-64 people, but I'm not really used to a Call of Duty game. I'm more for team play than straight up death match, anyway, so does the lower amount of people make for sparse encounters? Low population in Battlefield servers tend to mean that you can actually go from base to base getting in very few gunfights.

hypr

I may get it I need to get a good solid RPG, at least before FF13 comes out, , I still gotta work on DMC3 on mission 8 but I been busy, I want to obviously get DMC4, but I think this will be the year for the PS3 to shine, more and more places are backing Blu-Ray now.

ShagsterP

Not just more places, but every place. It's official. Toshiba has pulled the plug on HD-DVD. If you want up-to-date high definition, you'll have to own either a Blu-ray player or a PS3. I love that all the criticism, all the blind and arrogant fanboy-generated hatred thrown at Sony's decision to include Blu-ray in their console, which gave them a disappointing price point at a mediocre launch, turned out to be the early nail in HD-DVD's coffin for creating an early install base for the Blu-ray format. It's the ultimate "Told you so" finisher.

Heh, as for RPGs, isn't anybody else besides me hyped for Shirohiki Monogatari (White Knight Chronicles) by Level 5? I think I might actually be more excited for this than FFXIII. Here's the impressive Japanese trailer.

ADF

Ok someone in here is going to have to explain the logic of this one to me.

I dared to criticise the textures on a model, saying the PS3 would have benefited with more memory so it can use textures better suited for HD, then I got this thrown at me.

PS3 self clocks itself according load/temperature to 4.4GHz. With just 6 SPE cores running at that speed in series, you can stream real time Procedural Graphics with 4D on the fly animations like in Uncharted. Try that with a PC! ...sure any machine can run pre-rendered 4D, but nothing a Render Farm or the Mini Render Farm on a Chip Cell BE can do it in Real Time! ...and when your memory runs as fast as your CPU! and you can run equivalent 9cores streamed, you don't need that much memory!;)

First off I was under the impression that PS3 Cell was clocked at 3.2ghz constant, not dynamically adjustable 4.4ghz. Not that it matters any PC user will tell you, because clock speed is not a definite indication of performance. But I was pretty sure Cell was clocked at 3.2.

4D, now the fourth dimension is of course time, so what exactly is this person going on about by saying the PS3 can stream it? Saying PC cannot do real time procedural graphics? Has this person been living under a rock during Spores entire development?

I like the little bit at the end about memory not being a problem, obviously it is or I wouldn’t have criticised it in the first place.

Tudd

ADF,

There is no logic. They're throwing false information at you and assuming you believe it. On second thought, they're just spitting out numbers in an attempt to impress you. All while hoping the information is above your head. I don't really see the problem. You're obiviously talking to someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Ignore and move on.

ShagsterP

Whatever the system's specs add up to now, it won't be upgraded any in the future, so who cares? If everything looks good and plays good, that means everything IS good. I get irritated by all the extreme techno-babble on both sides, as if it really matters any. It's not that I don't understand it all, but rather I just find it an annoyance when people start getting into compression this, memory that, textures all up in yo' FACE! There's no need to get insanely detailed with all the tech talk. Pretty graphics are pretty. The end.

ADF

The techno-babble helps explain some people’s questions; such as why was Halo 3 below 720p or why did the console FarCry had to be remade into Instincts instead of just porting the PC version? If tech doesn’t interest you it’s fine, most console gamers are simply happy to know it works, it just helps explain certain aspects of games instead of presuming a game will automatically get 60fps at 1080p.

For example why was the facial textures in Oblivion so bloody horrible? You have to look at the hardware constrains to figure that out.

Tudd

Its not really the consumer who needs to know this information concerning consoles. It benifits the consumer when the manufacturer realizes theres an issue and corrects it. Unfortunately with consoles once its been released its too late to fix it unless you wish to abandon your consumer base. For the consumers it just gives us more reason to dislike/like one side or another. The problem with looking at games and blaming the hardware is the glaring question of, might it have been the developers fault? They might have focused too much of their attention elsewhere and ran out of room for facial textures when push came to shove. I've run into glitches where characters who are vital to completing side quests simply dissappear. (In Oblivion) No game is going to get it perfect cept it seems Polyphony trys damn hard... and takes their sweet time. Hardware causes are nice to acknowledge but useless for console gamers. For PC gamers it makes all the difference in hardware choices. For example COH will not run on highest settings (resolution included) on a 320 MB 8800GTS because it runs out of memory. But for console gamers... what difference does it make?

ShagsterP

Well, looks like Phil Harrison has resigned. I'm actually happy for that. As much as I didn't mind him working in the background, once he replaced Kaz Hirai and took over as a big public rep, his douchebag personality shone through brightly. Less likable than Kaz, Phil emitted a sense of businessman arrogance to me, less warm and personal than the "RIIIIDGE RACER!!!" man himself. Fortunately, Kaz is taking over again in the meantime.

Tudd

I was tempted to post something about that here but I knew you would read it first before coming here. Phil simply wasn't that good at his job. For example I believe theres a video of him studdering for almost a minute somewhere out there on the "internets". That and his Motorstorm campaign. Not exactly impressive from someone whos supposed to represent so much.

well my PSN is DarkfireDesch
the games i Own:
-COD4

yea thats it... i am GHIII soon so i will play online and kick some ass...

ShagsterP

Dualshock 3 controllers with rumble support have finally been announced for North America, and it's about time. I've been holding off buying a third controller because I want vibration capabilities. But what's up with these prices? The regular Dualshock 3 is nearly the price of a full game ($50) and the vibration version will be even closer ($54). Christ, I'd figure controllers would be around thirty bucks or something.

Tudd

Just like the memory cards for PS2? :p

Hey Haseo, Would you like your PSN ID added to the CoD4 list? If so just send a PM to ligaa and in the meantime I'll add you to my friends list. Looking forward to playing with you.

wolfydog

Own one yeps, 40 gig, Smackdown Vs Raw 2008, Fifa 08, Juiced 2 : Hot Important Nights and The Darkness. In DVD's, Stealth and Hitch :D

ShagsterP

Argh, I had hopes for Smackdown because I love to customize things, but the game isn't going to truly make the evolutionary leap until they develop solely for next-gen and drop previous systems. That and the 360 version has the ability to play custom music for ring entrances. Damn, if the PS3 version at least had THAT feature, I probably would've gotten it. There's always next year...

And it looks like God of War 3 is on the way. I wonder how long they've been working on it.

wolfydog

Actually the next PS3 update has the ability to play custom music during gameplay.

www.caws.ws gives you some great customise character guides, ranging from wrestlers, to move sets to entrances.

The only thing I disslike really about Smackdown Vs Raw is the fact that they havent made it so they dont do that really pathetic stumble and fall thing, the moves dont all connect the way they should, eg. dropkicks they hold their face and fall backwards way too late after the move is hit or they just stumble without falling, which really sucks.

ShagsterP

Wait. Who? What? This is news to me. Are you talking about an update patch for the game itself or a PS3 firmware update? We all know it's coming eventually, but playing music during gameplay and having it built into the game so you can set up a character's entrance to play specific music from your hard drive every time are two very different things.

wolfydog

The actual PS3 update itself will allow you to access your music in game, meaning you can overplay the tracks on the game, so you can put the entrance music onto the game and cut out annoying commentary if thats your wish.

You cant put the music onto the actual game, that would mean having to edit its actuall scripture, meaning a total recall of the game and rerelease which could take forever.

It will also allow you to switch from game to internet so the belief is.

Tudd

Well the "truthiness" as I understand it is there will be in-game XMB support. But as to what functions will be usable you might ask? Since there is no solid data we'll have to survive with rumours.

ShagsterP

Levan said:
The actual PS3 update itself will allow you to access your music in game, meaning you can overplay the tracks on the game, so you can put the entrance music onto the game and cut out annoying commentary if thats your wish.

You cant put the music onto the actual game, that would mean having to edit its actuall scripture, meaning a total recall of the game and rerelease which could take forever.

Wrong, as far as the music part goes. Like I said, Smackdown '08 on the 360 allows you to pick and choose your own entrance music directly from your hard drive. You're not manually playing music over the game. That would just feel ghetto for the purpose I'm wanting it for, as well as annoying for having to pick and play your own music every single time you have a custom character enter the arena. What it's doing is reading your save file information and going to where your chosen music is located on your console's hard drive. It's something you set up within the game's parameters ahead of time during customization, not the console's. That's what I also wanted the PS3's version to do, but the jackasses decided not to.

Ugh.

wolfydog

Thats why I'm saying they would need to change the scripture, they didnt give the same file save options as the 360. Because of the different file ways in game they would have to edit the game to make saving onto the disk possible, but because they didnt there is no way of doing it on PS3 at this point in time.

As for the playing over the game, I do admit its a sketchy way to do it, but better than nothing aint it?

If you havent noticed I'm a PS3 geek :D