• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Site Is A Lie

Wolfblade

changing every third word in a painfully over-popular song from a video game to insult people as harshly as you can manage sure is an impressive display of creative genius and far more work than what you're fumbling to criticize

bravo I say

I suggest they blame Alkora. I mean he wrote the code that it is/was limping along on till now, right? Might be a little hard to make stick because he hasn't messed with it for the better part of a year though...

Well, Neer's responsible for hardware, and with him dumping so much money from the good faith of the poor hopeful users of FA into it, you can sure as shit bet that there won't be any admission of fault in that area.

Yak's been more or less single-handedly responsible for the code of the site for >quite< some time now, but that's never stopped him from passing the blame for any problems that arise when he changes Alkora's 'faulty' code (even when the code seemed to be working >until< it was changed), so I doubt we'll see any responsibility shown there either.

'The host' might still be a viable scape goat though, even though I was under the impression (could easily be mistaken here) that they weren't using the same host anymore, so let's wait and see.

It should be interesting, regardless.

Nanakisan

Wild lunatic!
Eevee, there's a reason that FA's reliability is a running joke amongst some of its users. The criticism's going to be around as long as the site keeps going down every couple of weeks (I know, it's about as accurate as your "every third word" comment, but fair's fair, right?).

Whining about criticism doesn't fix the problems. Coding well, having reliable hardware (which, I presume, FA does have now), and having a reliable Net connection fix the problem.

Oh, BTW... when's Ferrox coming out? I trust that it's being stress-tested like a torture-loving furry being quartered French-style by elephants, yes?

I don't want to burst your sorry bubble but i have been a FA member for 2 years now.

I see no reason to assault Eevee on this matter.
and ferrox will come out when it comes out so be patient.
as for the site going down every ther week to me is a natural thing.
the site is run completely on donation and is not managed by a super rich dude.

We are a community of poor artists that make their living from commissions and other forms of work.

as for the admins leave them be they have enough issues with the site and them getting yelled at about it.
best thing to do is to sit back and wait and ride it out.
lol

The coders do not suck.
keep in mind programming a server system for gallery and high end bandwidth use is not a easy task and there will be glitches i nthe code that and the donations run site thing rises again.
the donation money that was received went into 97% of purchasing the servers if i have the math right correct me if i'm wrong Neer.

Ashkihyena

Back off man, I'm a scientist
Seriously, if they can keep the site up for the full 2009, I'll be amazed, but somehow, I don't see it happening, and as for the site, yeah, I kinda have to agree with Wolfblade. The FA people donated thousands of dollars, and they can't even keep the damn site up for a full month, yeah, thats bad.

As for Ferrox, if it acts the way FurAffinity does, whoo boy, are we in for a ride, that is of course, assuming it ever gets up.

Last edited:

Wolfblade

I'm bowing out now. I was about to respond to your post, Nanakisan, and I realized I really don't want to burst your bubble.

Most of what I did on staff was trying to give people like you a reason for the faith you have in the site, and trying to stifle people who had nothing better to do than what I was doing just now.

I knew they felt justified in what they were doing, just as I do feel I am justified in what I said here. But I thought maybe things could change, and there'd be no need to make more people like them, bitter and disillusioned, like I am now. But things haven't changed.

I sincerely hope they do though.

I sincerely hope your faith is rewarded, and to yak and neer, I apologize for what I've said here (though I do not imply that I don't think you fully deserve it, I just really should try to be above saying it), and wish you luck and speed, and well, mostly luck, in getting the site back up.

Do everyone a favor and show people that their faith in you, still, after all the retardedness, will EVENTUALLY be worth something.

I don't expect you to, but I do hope you prove me thoroughly wrong about both of you.

cesarin

Famous Huggable Dragon
Yak's been more or less single-handedly responsible for the code of the site for >quite< some time now, but that's never stopped him from passing the blame for any problems that arise when he changes Alkora's 'faulty' code (even when the code seemed to be working >until< it was changed), so I doubt we'll see any responsibility shown there either.

wolfblade, I hope you're frigging kidding or you've just smoked a bowl of weed to imagine such BS...

you suddenly forgot that jheryn's server was crashing EVERY WEEK by then?
and he kept trying to "go away" and dodging the blame, while arcturus was getting part of the blame for the server and thus everything assploded in drama?

PurpleDragon

You gotta be fucking shittin' me. Again?

PurpleDragon

Please speak correct English. Sorry, couldn't resist.

RCRuskin

That this site is run by volunteers and amateurs, and I use the original sense: people doing things out of enjoyment for the activity, does not excuse such apparent incompetence and professionalism behavior.

Until I read through this thread, I thought it was just a poorly coded, overloaded server. Now I hear there's mud-slinging, name-calling, and blame-placing, and that is among the administrators.

Nevermind what the users have to say...

Indagare

You an tell furs are a family - they take every opportunity possible to make snide comments to one another.

Rhainor

Rawr.
Until I read through this thread, I thought it was just a poorly coded, overloaded server. Now I hear there's mud-slinging, name-calling, and blame-placing, and that is among the administrators.
Huh?

Now, I haven't read through the thread, admittedly, but I've seen none of this in the staff IRC channel. Where are you seeing all this dirt-slinging on the part of the staff?

(if you're talking about in the "song" lyrics, then all I can say is don't take them at face value.)

keeshah

They do not control the power grid, which is what caused the outage.
please stand by while they flog someone at the colo to check n' boot the servers.

Blame Con Ed!

( The Russians are hacking FA's powergrid, Oh Noes!!! )

maxgoof

Yeah, please don't take the song lyrics literally.

It was written in fun nine months ago.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
Eevee, there's a reason that FA's reliability is a running joke amongst some of its users.
Oh, I know; and, surprise: it is a joke. This is not some well-kept secret. FA goes down a lot! I kinda noticed.

What I take offense to is that this nugget of common knowledge was extended into a bashfest of dubious truthiness of the people currently working to get this scrappile running again. By someone who obviously wants the site to be up, no less. In the name of what? Discouraging the staff from bothering? Making the OP look clever and witty for accusing these people of all manner of things?

Whining about criticism doesn't fix the problems. Coding well, having reliable hardware (which, I presume, FA does have now), and having a reliable Net connection fix the problem.
None of which, alas, have anything to do with why FA is down right now.

Oh, BTW... when's Ferrox coming out?
Presumably sometime after I finish it.

As for Ferrox, if it acts the way FurAffinity does, whoo boy, are we in for a ride, that is of course, assuming it ever gets up.
Are you really wildly conjecturing about code you have never seen (that has never been touched by anyone else on staff, no less)?

I seriously do not get the furry community's insistence on inventing ways to out-spite each other. Congratulations, you are all brilliantly insightful for noticing that FA goes down more frequently than sites with, say, a full staff and financial stability. Stop being dicks.

Ashkihyena

Thats hard to do when the site is not kept stable, yeah, once that happens, whenever, I think thats when we'll stop being dicks.

Ashkihyena

Oh, and again, as for Ferrox, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it, and if it ever does get up, and is as "stable" as FA is, we're in for good times.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
I was waiting when you would show up.

Sixteen fucking THOUSAND dollars in donations in little over a week, and you can't keep the site up for a fucking month. "you" is not meant to disrespect the administration in general, I know most of you guys do more than anyone should be expected to do for free, but it's either the hardware or the code, and the two guys on top of those two piles have had more than enough practice passing the buck by now.
Money was donated for new hardware. New hardware was purchased. Part of that hardware is already online and working, and it is both performant and stable at it.

Hardware would not be the source of FA's problems any time soon. But it's not the only source of FA's problems, and the 16k donations had no influence over those.

*sits back and waits to see who's fault the downtime is because it sure as hell can't POSSIBLY be a booboo on the fault of either Neer or Yak.
If you read the site status forum you will see for yourself.

Well, Neer's responsible for hardware, and with him dumping so much money from the good faith of the poor hopeful users of FA into it, you can sure as shit bet that there won't be any admission of fault in that area.
No he wasn't, the choice of hardware was largely influences by me.
There haven't been any faults or complaints regarding the hardware. I am satisfied with how it works. It hasn't caused a single problem yet.

I am a semi-experienced coder and an ambitious learning sysadmin. I never claimed to be perfect and all knowing, and I am fine with admitting my own mistakes.

I don't feel I have a spotless ego to maintain, nor do I feel like maintaining one.

'The host' might still be a viable scape goat though, even though I was under the impression (could easily be mistaken here) that they weren't using the same host anymore, so let's wait and see.
See for yourself.

Most of what I did on staff was trying to give people like you a reason for the faith you have in the site, and trying to stifle people who had nothing better to do than what I was doing just now.

I knew they felt justified in what they were doing, just as I do feel I am justified in what I said here. But I thought maybe things could change, and there'd be no need to make more people like them, bitter and disillusioned, like I am now. But things haven't changed.
And I appreciate all the work you've done while you were with us. Regardless on anything.

I sincerely hope your faith is rewarded, and to yak and neer, I apologize for what I've said here (though I do not imply that I don't think you fully deserve it, I just really should try to be above saying it), and wish you luck and speed, and well, mostly luck, in getting the site back up.
I, and I probably can say this for Neer too, am used to taking flak simply for the fact that I was there and I tried to do something. I may not have worked out like I planned and caused more harm then good.
But I was there, and instead of complaining I tried to help. And so did you, once.