• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The south will rise again! South wants secession.

Gryphoneer

20 Quatloos on "disruptive"
I think secession is technically covered by the Constitution under states' rights, but I'm not entirely sure. But the way it's dispersed would make it hard for them to even function on their own probably.
The United States Supreme Court ruled unilateral secession unconstitutional in Texas v. White.

I wouldn't worry about Texas so much and take a look at Alaska instead.

HipsterCoyote

50 Shades of Gay
Thank you HipsterCoyote for the lively demonstration of what Aleu meant when she spoke of "the attitude"

300px-Buddy_christ.jpg

: So, our old guy f***ed the economy, got us in unnecessary wars and ruined our reputation (correct me if the USA had a shitty reputation before Bush)

Clinton:
- BOMBING YUGOSLAVIA
- Fucking with the ABM treaty
- Continuing sanctions and killing over a million Iraqis
- BOMBING Sudan
- UNSCOM
- Violated the War Powers Act
- Sat on his ass with Jean-Bertrand Aristide
- Opening up our petroleum reserve to look good lulululu

H.W. Bush:
- Sat on his ass with Kuwait
- Invaded Panama
- Wasn't prudent

Reagan:
- OH MY GOD NATIONAL DEBT OF FLJAS;FLKJSDL;FKAF
- Allowed Israel to be invaded, got us in all that mess
- Iran-Contra
- Angola

Carter:
- Existed

Ford:

- Just ask someone from Indonesia

Nixon:
- Vietnam
- CAMBODIA
- Not a crook

Johnson:
- Vietnam
- Dominican Republic
- Got all up in MLK's bidness
- Go ask Brazil

Eisenhower:
- Ask someone from Indonesia
- Got all up in Iran's shit and dropped the CIA controlled Shah in the mix
- Fucked around in Guatemala and put Castillo Armas in there

Truman:
- I SEEM TO REMEMBER SOMETHING ABOUT DROPPING A HYDROGEN BOMB OR TWO ON JAPAN

I could take you all the way down the horrifying road of hilarious dickmoves in Presidential history all the way to and beyond the Trail of Tears, but we've been magnificent assholes from the start, be fair now.

Last edited:

NightWolf20

One-Eyed Canine
This won't come to fruition. A politician is one who sits and thinks... mostly sits. Nothing will get done. They'll just keep playing the blame game, making hollow threats, and generally wasting absurd amounts of time and money.
I'd really rather not see secession occur, so I may be biased in thinking it won't happen (but let's be real, this is the third time it's been brought up. It ain't gonna happen). I live in the South... the Deep South. The Confederate flag is a symbol of my heritage, not a set of morally bass-akwards ideals. Big trucks, bass boats, and church are part of my everyday life. I devour fried food by the truckload, and my arteries are so backed up, I probably won't see 30. But dangit, I'm an AMERICAN! This country sucks, but it's still my country. We can dig ourselves out of this mess if we stop getting butthurt over every little thing and start working as one nation. That's America. Coming together from all different backgrounds and walks of life, accepting each other despite our differences, and contributing what we have to become, out of many, one.

But that's my rant on the whole thing. Long story short, it's one big load.

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
I'm not sure how this would accomplish anything good and I see this as nothing more than a post-election tantrum.

CodArk2

Annoyed dragon
This won't happen. Just a few nutters that think their petitions will actually matter. It won't. Things would have to get much worse for states to actually leave, so 10 years away at the earliest.

No Texas does not have any more right to leave the union than any other state. No Texas is not special. The "texas is able to secede" thing is as much BS as the "texas is the only state ale to fly its flag equal with the US flag and all the others have to fly lower". both are wrong.

Texas fag: http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp
texas secesson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._White

If it ever DID happen, it would not be just the south, but liekly most of the midwest leaving too.

People who think history woudl repeat itself and the north would win again are also forgetting some things about the south now. This ain't the 1860's. Even that was a hard fight that lasted almost 5 years. It woudl depend more on WHY states are leaving. If the US is so bankrupt it cannot afford to pay soldiers, do you really think they are going to fight? There is also no massive moral issue right now that one coudl wield against the south. We dont have slavery. So how could one morally justify it? Especially if its because of bankruptcy or economic crisis.

Also nice to see the southern hating bigots coming out in these threads. Fuck off with your illogical hatred. The south isn't perfect, but its not really worse than other parts of the nation either.

Bottom line: won't happen, and i say it as a southerner. Only if things get much worse will it have a possibility of happening, so don't hold your breath on it happening.

BouncyOtter

We all know that no state is going to actually secede. All this shows is just how torn our country is, which is disturbing.

Bleedswhitefire

Bubba be addicted to 2 stroke
I fuckin love being in the south. Yea buddy. I tell y'all what, it's funner, try it. Actually, I'm so proud to be southern, I have not one, but two Confederate flags in my front yard. Just so everyone knows how much I love it. My truck has one painted on the tailgate. I got one in my room. I got one in the barn. But yes, I do love livin in the south.

I saw the tittle and was like "Hell ya bout time some one else started to believe it!". But then I read, and I was like "Oh, well now". But the mexican idea I did like the most.

Does anyone have a reservation for a nuclear bomb shelter because, a second civil war is most likely going to be one that the US government, being sore losers, end up turning all the seceding states into a inhospitable nuclear wasteland. But at least we'll see the power of our modern nuclear arsenal and the south will go out with a bang!

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Does anyone have a reservation for a nuclear bomb shelter because, a second civil war is most likely going to be one that the US government, being sore losers, end up turning all the seceding states into a inhospitable nuclear wasteland. But at least we'll see the power of our modern nuclear arsenal and the south will go out with a bang!

because the north would totally throw nukes close to its own soil and ruin the rich farmland that the south uses to feed the north- yup total sense

CodArk2

Annoyed dragon

As I stated before, if the south felt compelled to secede, so would the midwest. Considering that much of americans land based nuclear arsenal is in blood red states like wyoming, kansas, nebraska. north and south dakota etc. I dont think it would be only one side having nukes. That and the US would instantly lose any support they might have from people in the seceding areas, not to mention the international community, who would both see the US as murdering people it still claims are its citizens with nuclear weapons. The fallout would affect the whole US so it woudl not be just the seceding areas that were affected.

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
I seriously doubt this will play out like that family guy episode.

Fernin

6150 rpm and spinning.
That's OK, if the south leaves they'll run themselves into the ground (or be invaded by Mexico if the world goes 100% shits and giggles) within a year and the North will come in and pick up the pieces. Of course it'll never actually happen, but if it did that's about how it'd go down.

Attaman

"Welcome to FurAffinity Forums, gentlemen."
It woudl depend more on WHY states are leaving. If the US is so bankrupt it cannot afford to pay soldiers, do you really think they are going to fight?
If the US is "so bankrupt" it cannot even pay its military, you have bigger issues than the states seceding. Like the fact that the entire global economy has likely collapsed entirely, and that you'd be lucky if you weren't living in Mad Max-style warfare.

There is also no massive moral issue right now that one coudl wield against the south.
Er, racism is still quite strong in "the south", as is anti-homosexual sentiment.

Especially if its because of bankruptcy or economic crisis.
Again, if there's an economic crisis bad enough for states to secede, that's probably such a minor concern that "By the way, we aren't part of the US any more" won't matter. "Are the Raiders back again?", however, will.

Also nice to see the southern hating bigots coming out in these threads. Fuck off with your illogical hatred. The south isn't perfect, but its not really worse than other parts of the nation either.
Considering a vast portion of it believe the South won the Civil War, there's been quite a few attempted Education "Reforms" that praise groups like the KKK and speak out against Civil Rights movement, and in a number of states roughly one-in-three to one-in-two people think interracial marriage should be banned again... Er, yes, it is a wee bit worse off. At least on social issues (economically is something else altogether).

Ramses

It'll never happen.

Some people are just venting their anger and frustration. (And instead of saying "let's work things out" they're saying "fuck you, I'm leaving" - which isn't going to help anyone or anything. Sigh.

thoron

The south is more or less acting like a spoiled brat because Obama won, its much like a kid threating to run away from home because it didn't get the toy it wanted.

CodArk2

Annoyed dragon
If the US is "so bankrupt" it cannot even pay its military, you have bigger issues than the states seceding. Like the fact that the entire global economy has likely collapsed entirely, and that you'd be lucky if you weren't living in Mad Max-style warfare.

Well economic collapse is only one part of why there could be a split, that was an example. Some type of law that most of the Southern states disagreed with would be another.

Er, racism is still quite strong in "the south", as is anti-homosexual sentiment..

Racism and homophobic sentiment are not exclusive to the south, nor is it really even the worst place to find either one. Its more a stereotype than reality for the racism, and the homophobia thing is everywhere.

Considering a vast portion of it believe the South won the Civil War, there's been quite a few attempted Education "Reforms" that praise groups like the KKK and speak out against Civil Rights movement, and in a number of states roughly one-in-three to one-in-two people think interracial marriage should be banned again... Er, yes, it is a wee bit worse off. At least on social issues (economically is something else altogether).

I dunno where you are getting your statistics form, but they are bullshit. No one in the south thinks we won the civil war, in fact much of the bitterness is over the fact we didn't win it. Never in my lifetime have I heard of any changes to education that would involve praising the KKK or downplaying the civil rights movement. I am also pretty much certain you pulled the figures on interracial marriage out of your ass, nowhere in the south has half the people against it. The only people I have ever heard against interracial marriages were usually seniors, like in their 70s.

The idea all southerners are racist is based more on scenes from the 60s than anything that is actually happening in the south today.

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
The south is more or less acting like a spoiled brat because Obama won, its much like a kid threating to run away from home because it didn't get the toy it wanted.
Aw Hell, I got a big black lump of Leftist coal this year too :(

Bliss

Do you like, not EAT? Or wear CLOTHES? Or use the fucking INTERNET? Watch TV, maybe? Have a bank account? Drive a car or ride a bus? USE FUCKING PLASTIC?
You have opened my eyes to how, for Northeners and peoples beyond, this modern lifestyle and every last one of its amenities only exist by the grace of GOD, CONFEDERATE FLAG and, most of all, THE SOUTH.

Thank you, Jesusland!

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
You have opened my eyes to how, for Northeners and peoples beyond, this modern lifestyle and every last one of its amenities only exist by the grace of GOD, CONFEDERATE FLAG and, most of all, THE SOUTH.

Thank you, Jesusland!
Heil Jesus! Heil Jesus! Heil Jesus!

What he neglects to mention is the only reason the South has all of the important shiny stuff like NASA launch sites is because the ebil oppressive
Northern Aggressor Government found those particular locations ideal for such projects.

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
Aw Hell, I got a big black lump of Leftist coal this year too :(
I get coal every year.

But in all seriousness rather than actually realize they've alienated pretty much anyone that isn't Caucasian male they're throwing this fit cause "democracy is ded, obama got re-elected therefore democracy is dead even though he won fairly. The only option left for real america is to secede". I give it a month at most before all this talk of secession dies off.

Riese

Which was also written before we had stuff like interstate highways and enormous swaths of Federal land. States can't secede because there is so much Federal land, and many of them would have really high debts to pay off, essentially buying the land back.

Don't forget about all of those student loans floating about, can't forget to collect that before they let you go.

Riese

Now, I didn't have time to read all 3 pages of posts, so perhaps it has been covered. I briefly looked for a quick summation of events leading up to things such as states seeking soveirgnty, while this lacks all the pretty charts and graphs it will do: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-13/summing-it-all

On a side note, having states secede would be a very messy business and I am not for it. The road to success does not include the breaking up of the Union (yet).

~R♥

Anubite

That White Guy
Hope the succeeding states like not having federal funding and an economy. Though I highly doubt this will happen as there is no reason to do such a ridiculous thing. Also, yea, it shows how split we are.

Attaman

"Welcome to FurAffinity Forums, gentlemen."
I dunno where you are getting your statistics form, but they are bullshit.
Well, just to go off threads I've made on here, there's the surprise military lessons on total war versus Islam, greater majority if Mississippi citizens thinking interracial marriage should be illegal than legal (Lobar thread), a few southern states' rather upset that they lost the Civil War (apologies for misremembering whether it was believing that they won or that it ended outside their favor), etcetera.

Never in my lifetime have I heard of any changes to education that would involve praising the KKK or downplaying the civil rights movement.
Look up some of the stuff proposed by Texans (ranking Texans) in regard to changing academic curriculum. There have also been pushes to play back up the fear of Communism again (Rawr China?) and saying that Slavery wasn't entirely bad.

The idea all southerners are racist is based more on scenes from the 60s than anything that is actually happening in the south today.
Or from 2011 polls.

CodArk2

Annoyed dragon

I tend to take anything posted about the south on FAF with a grain of salt. I can say most southerners are a certain way because I am from the south, have lived in several southern states,and still live in one.

The interracial marriage thing has not really been an issue in any state I lived in/ The only people that said anything about it were over 60 years old.

Texas HAS said some stupid shit in their education stuff, notably about creationism (which failed by the way). Racism, not so much. I also saw no "fear of communism" but ist was a bad thing and was taught as a bad thing. Slavery is taught as all bad, in fact here we tend to voerdo it to be honest, like comparing it to the holocaust, which was arguably worse.

The last data I looked at on interracial marriage said it was something like 24 percent of alabamans were against interracial marriage. No where near one in two or one in three. And that was the worst state, all the other southern states are lower. The south is a wider area than Alabama and Mississippi, i am a southerner and i am from Arkansas and live in texas. I have never heard anyone call for a law against interracial marriage anywhere in the south, and I am a southerner.