• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

The Website Upgrades; "What Do YOU want to see??"

Xodiac

That said, what do you guys want to see done as the site goes forward??

Some kind of thumbs-up system, like Facebook or Reddit. We can Fave submissions, but there's no way to show approval (or disapproval) of a comment except to make another comment, and saying "Yeah!" and "I agree!" is annoying.

An emoji menu, or at least a page that shows how to make them all manually. I rarely use them but I'd like the option, and right now if I want to include some I need to Google it or something. It's not worth the bother as is.

Move the links to go the a user's Gallery or their Favorites collection to *below* the latest additions to their Gallery and Favorites featured on their front page. Right now I look at someone's stuff, scroll down to see more, and then have to scroll *back up* to get to the link. It's a minor annoyance that just doesn't need to exist.

Make the Favorites pages more easily navigated. Here's the address for page 2 of my Favorites: http://www.furaffinity.net/favorites/xodiac/871747059/next. Right now, if I want to get to page 20, I can't just go to the address bar and change the number. Or rather, I can, but it's hardly obvious what I should change it to. Instead, I have to click "Next" a whole bunch of times. Meanwhile, here's the address for page 2 of my Gallery: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/xodiac/2/. Why not organize the Favorites like this? It'd be easy to reach page 20 then.

Similarly, some way to search though your Favorites (or other users', but mostly your own) would be great. There have been times I wanted to look for a picture I Faved three years ago, but didn't want to or couldn't search directly for the original post. (As I recall, I didn't remember the picture's title or artist, and a regular search was getting me nowhere because of too many other hits.) I knew I'd Faved it, but the only way I could find it that was was to go back, page by page, and look for it. Which isn't very fun when it's a dozen pages deep, or more. A way to search for keywords or titles but specify to search through my Faves, rather than FA as a whole, would be nice. If there was a way to search through *other* users' Faves, too, that'd be awesome, but let's start with just searching through the Faves of whomever's doing the search.

Thanks, and I hope these help! I especially hope they get implemented! :)

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Some updates I'd like to see happen are...

1. Automatic Removal of deleted/deactivated watched accounts from our Watch Lists.

For the sake of preventing clutter, since we cannot remove deactivated/deleted accounts from our lists ourselves. Another option would be the ability to un-watch a deleted account from the "The owner has deactivated their account" page. If automatically removing them via their deletion isn't an option, including this would be a god send. At least half of my watch list is full of dead accounts that I can't remove, and it really messes with my OCD.

2. Updated Artist Information

For example...

3. A new spot for Furry/Fursona based information under artist information (similar to how contacts and artist information is separate; if not filled out this - like contacts - won't show up)

4. This one is small, but I'd like an "Email" and possibly even a "Secondary Email" slot to be placed in the Contact/Social Media section. This way artists and members have more ways to directly reach those they do business with without having to Hound them for contact emails should they be the type to not hand them out each time.

5. I would like submissions to be a bit more organized in how things are submitted, such as Stories having a short story option or poetry having a Lyrics option etc.

6. I'd like Story/Poetry/etc to have normal images instead of tiny ones that are most times difficult to read if people try to jazz em up and include information about what they wrote in them. I've seen some writing submissions have larger images, but I'd like for this to be default if possible.

7. I'd like for group pages to be more defined, and be allowed to have submissions sent in for approval directly instead of having one person control everything and have to do it all themselves

8. Push notifications for Watches, Comments, Shouts, and Notes would be awesome.

9. The ability to change your username four times a year "for free" (without bothering staff), but to avoid spamming or harassment, each time you change it you have to wait three months to change it again (aka like DeviantArt's system).

10. Removing the icon limit in profiles.

I don't really see a point in the limit, unless people decided to link literal hundreds of icons, but those profiles could specifically be reported for spam or something. If I wanna have thirty cool icons all around to either look pretty, advertise artists, or both I wanna be able to. It's not like FA doesn't have a thousand dead accounts (and dead account submissions) taking up space anyway.

11. Similar to my feelings of the Watched List being cluttered, I'd like for the "Commissions" tab to be hidden from people's own eyes if they don't offer them, and become a setting that they can turn on somewhere else in the options section. I don't offer commissions, so seeing it as apart of my profile just irks me for some reason.

12. I'd love to have a chat on site.

I'd like for Furaffinity to have a chatroom for members to just jump into and socialize actively together. Perhaps with a small spam filter or something on it. That, or maybe a dedicated discord server with a Titan link or something for people to see the chat on the website. I dunno. Just something more "FA-relative" as random roleplay discords aren't my thing and joining artist specific discords always feels like signing up for telemarketing lol.

13. Better eye protection

I really, really, REALLY want the ability to block certain tags from the searching/browsing function including art in people's favorites and galleries. I don't mean to kink shame here, but if I have to see one more disgusting dirty diaper or a sweaty obese antelope getting rammed I'm going to vomit. Enjoy what thou will and all, but please don't make me have to see it in order to browse other NSFW tags. Hell I've seen some of that stuff and more in the SFW sections as well so really there is no escape AND I NEED ONE. I'm sure people feel the same about this, other kinks, or even my own kinks (and that's completely fine - not everyone is into bdsm). But I don't think they - or I - should have to see it if we don't want to. Implementing a blocking tags feature along with something that allows members to add tags on art might help organize the site's submissions beautifully - and spare my wallet of future eye Bleach purchases.

[3.3.2020] Edit: Cleaned up the post considerably and added new suggestions.

Just posting to alert those that it may concern that I edited my suggestions now that I had sleep. Fixed typos, made things a lot clearer, removed sleep deprived jargon, etc.

Also I agree with these guys and would love for this stuff to be implemented as well. I know some of it can be a lot of work for the staff team, but I really think it would take FA to the "next level" so to speak...

I like the way E621 handles their tags, where the community tags it on top of the uploader's tags. My ideal tag filter thing would be this:

1) The community can add tags in addition to the uploader's tags. However, to keep jerks from ruining it, the artist could choose to delete community added tags, or there could be an approval process. (I for one would appreciate this, sometimes I forget tags that other people suggest).

2) The tags work off of associations. So, if you put in "Adoptable" as a tag, it also can be found by searching "Adopts" or "Adoptables". (I'm...honestly sick of seeing adoptables, and filters I use don't do the association thing)

3) Minimum of 5 tags to upload. Tag your stuff. :T

4) The filter itself! It would be nice if it could work off of both tags AND the description if possible. I know some artists don't put the content matter in the title, nor tags, so it's difficult to filter, but sometimes in the description (This won't be a problem if the community adds the tag, but some people are lazy taggers)

It would ALSO be nice to be able to sort your own tags in the filter. So, say you don't want to see vore, or feet; you can sort that in your filter as NSFW if you so desire, so even if you're browsing FA in SFW mode, those tags could be sorted as NSFW and subsequently filtered out.

5) Account stipulations to community tagging. Your account should be live and used for x amount of time before you can offer community tags (30 days?). This keeps lazy malicious entities from going hog wild and tagging things incorrectly. In addition, you can only tag so much within a certain amount of time.

But, here's some other things I want other than the taglist:

1) Profile customization. With the way DeviantArt's Eclipse is going, it looks like we won't have much when it comes to custom boxes. I'll miss them. Gib.

2) Character type tags (as mentioned above). I'd LOVE to sort by a feral tag tbh. In respect to that, the way F-List does theirs is amazing.

Some kind of thumbs-up system, like Facebook or Reddit. We can Fave submissions, but there's no way to show approval (or disapproval) of a comment except to make another comment, and saying "Yeah!" and "I agree!" is annoying.

Move the links to go the a user's Gallery or their Favorites collection to *below* the latest additions to their Gallery and Favorites featured on their front page. Right now I look at someone's stuff, scroll down to see more, and then have to scroll *back up* to get to the link. It's a minor annoyance that just doesn't need to exist.

Make the Favorites pages more easily navigated. Here's the address for page 2 of my Favorites: Favorites Gallery for Xodiac -- Fur Affinity [dot] net. Right now, if I want to get to page 20, I can't just go to the address bar and change the number. Or rather, I can, but it's hardly obvious what I should change it to. Instead, I have to click "Next" a whole bunch of times. Meanwhile, here's the address for page 2 of my Gallery: Artwork Gallery for Xodiac -- Fur Affinity [dot] net. Why not organize the Favorites like this? It'd be easy to reach page 20 then.

Similarly, some way to search though your Favorites (or other users', but mostly your own) would be great. There have been times I wanted to look for a picture I Faved three years ago, but didn't want to or couldn't search directly for the original post. (As I recall, I didn't remember the picture's title or artist, and a regular search was getting me nowhere because of too many other hits.) I knew I'd Faved it, but the only way I could find it that was was to go back, page by page, and look for it. Which isn't very fun when it's a dozen pages deep, or more. A way to search for keywords or titles but specify to search through my Faves, rather than FA as a whole, would be nice. If there was a way to search through *other* users' Faves, too, that'd be awesome, but let's start with just searching through the Faves of whomever's doing the search.

I know this statement can come across as entitled, but if FA implemented the above quoted stuff it would suddenly become my favorite art site. Hands down.

Last edited:

Bluefluffy

Plushy Fusky
Would love to see the option to change your username!
I've had mine there for over 6 years before I created my fursona and being honest it's a pretty embarrassing and cringe name.. I wish I had the option to have it changed to something else!
it has been a thing that would be added for a couple of years according to help & support, but with no ETA

Bluefluffy

Plushy Fusky
Would love to see the option to change your username!
I've had mine there for over 6 years before I created my fursona and being honest it's a pretty embarrassing and cringe name.. I wish I had the option to have it changed to something else!
it has been a thing that would be added for a couple of years according to help & support, but with no ETA

Oh, I forgot to add I would love the ability to browse all comments I made or a way to find them back at least!
Maybe a friends feature would be nice as well? Like.. I would want to share my favs with others on FA but not everyone

Kingman

Inquisitor of the Radical Ordo
Delete harassing posts off of submissions instead of just 'hiding' them.

I do like the idea of filtration system, especially for browsing, as I have nothing against certain 'interests' but it's nice to not have to see them if I don't want too.

Kingman

Inquisitor of the Radical Ordo
Oh and one more thing that would be great. If you block someone it makes it so you no longer have to see their posts, comments or shouts.

Bluefluffy

Plushy Fusky
bringing back the beta layout would be nice
The beta layout? isn't that the current layout?.. oh wait no.. thats modern.. i can't really remember the beta layout well, though now that i think of it i can really remember me having it on.. just can't really remember what it looked like

Rayd

bullshit detective
The beta layout? isn't that the current layout?.. oh wait no.. thats modern.. i can't really remember the beta layout well, though now that i think of it i can really remember me having it on.. just can't really remember what it looked like
it was better than the current layout in quite literally every single way in my opinion. frustrates me that they'd allow you to revert to classic, but not beta, which hundreds of people used and really enjoyed, including me.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Not a website upgrade but a forum upgrade; I'd like the word limit in posts to be raised to 30,000. I wrote a super cool informative piece for newbies that I had to remove 1,000 words from, and when I did that (9,000 words when the forum has 10k limit) it still declined the post. So I had to make it into a journal instead, and it was a total buzz kill. T_T

quoting_mungo

What happens if you block someone now? If it doesn't do any of that it sounds kinda useless the way it is. :/
Block prevents someone from contacting you, adding your submissions to their favorites, or adding you to their watchlist (it won’t unwatch you if they’re already watching you, though).

Not a website upgrade but a forum upgrade; I'd like the word limit in posts to be raised to 30,000. I wrote a super cool informative piece for newbies that I had to remove 1,000 words from, and when I did that (9,000 words when the forum has 10k limit) it still declined the post. So I had to make it into a journal instead, and it was a total buzz kill. T_T
Usually when this happens to me, I copy the post into a text document, find a natural breakpoint, and just split it into multiple posts/replies. It’s kinda hacky, but it does work.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Block prevents someone from contacting you, adding your submissions to their favorites, or adding you to their watchlist (it won’t unwatch you if they’re already watching you, though).

Ah I see.
Yeah I'd also appreciate the block feature to actually block members completely (and automatically unwatch both parties).

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

Usually when this happens to me, I copy the post into a text document, find a natural breakpoint, and just split it into multiple posts/replies. It’s kinda hacky, but it does work.

I'd like it to function without us having to find loopholes. I'm smart enough to do that - I just rather not put in THAT much effort after writing 11k words, unless it's something I REALLY wanna share with people. XD

That said, your response is still appreciated.

Bluefluffy

Plushy Fusky
So is changing usernames not on the chopping block atm?
On FA? nope I haven't been able to find an option, and help & support says its its going to be added at some point but has no ETA.. however this has been there for several years now, and would like if it gets finished finally

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I thought of a couple quality of life changes that might benefit a lot of artists in some small capacity...

• The ability to move multiple submissions to a folder in one sitting (ex. clicking on submissions in the gallery and selecting "add to" to copy them to a folder, and "move to" to just put them in that folder without also keeping them in the folder they are in now.
  • The ability to have a select all button if you just want to move every piece in your gallery (and not just on your page, every piece, like the Nuke all button does - except instead of nuking them, it just selects the ones that aren't on page one --- and let's you move them OR copy them all to whatever other folder you want).
  • The ability to write Tags for a group of submissions in one go, such as being able to click on multiple submissions in any folder of yours and being able to type in Tags for all of them as you would when submitting a piece.
  • The ability to hover a submission and choose to edit or move/copy it from the hover, instead of having to go to the Submission Page or Gallery.
  • The ability to have a third sub-folder under the folders in the gallery (for example; Literature ---> Personal Writing ---> Poetry). For better organization purposes. I'd say just allow Unlimited sub-folders, but I'm uncertain if there would be a way to do that without breaking the site.
  • The ability to filter out words for Shouts in order to prevent thank you spam. On the flip side, you could customize the Shout filter to just deny/automatically delete Shouts that ONLY have certain words you don't want (ex. thank you for the + watch, thank you, thank you for the fave, thank you for the + watch/fave, etc.).
  • The ability to delete multiple shouts at once instead of having to manually click them or nuke all of your Shouts. Sometimes I just wanna get rid of the spam easier.
  • The ability to turn off Shouts completely, similar to how you can turn off people's ability to send notes to you.
  • The ability to submit a 16x16 or 50x50 (whatever size range works for the site without cluttering up the gallery) little pixel icon beside any gallery folder name in order to make them more personal to you.

quoting_mungo

The ability to move multiple submissions to a folder in one sitting (ex. clicking on submissions in the gallery and selecting "add to" to copy them to a folder, and "move to" to just put them in that folder without also keeping them in the folder they are in now.
This should be possible, I think from User control panel -- Fur Affinity [dot] net, but may only be available on desktop. If you’re not seeing controls for it, try temporarily changing your settings to use classic layout, as I know I’ve done so on there.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
So I'm sure everyone's seen how FA is upgraded, and I've not been on it too often, but am now coming back full swing as I start to get back into sound design and working with animators again.

I DO love the visual upgrade, and it actually makes exploring FA and people's pages more intriguing. There's a sense of going through people's pages that is definitely way more engaging than it used to feel.

That said, what do you guys want to see done as the site goes forward??

I'd love to see furry-motes (colored ones) that we could use in journals and in reply entries. This would make it so maybe you could personalize emotes or just something to encourage critters to engage with each other more, making the comment section more fun.

...irrelevant question I know, but are you the user who made the Youtube video 'coronavirus toilet time'?

I have found the furry responsible for the hella weird suggestions in my youtube feed! ;D

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Redacted by staff

Allow me to fix this...

1. A better system for the reporting and handling of members on the website, or perhaps a larger and more active team of impartial individuals ready to respond.

2. A way to "hide" or save content until the report and/or band decision has been made, so that artwork isn't lost. Even if they are banned, perhaps sending it via email to the member to ensure that they still have their piece? It's only fair.

3. Taking away member permissions before an explicit ban; for example removing their ability to submit artwork, shout, note, comment, view certain types of artwork, etc.

4. Having appeals capable of being done via the forum or via a special place within the website that only "banned" members can see and login to? This one might not be possible but who knows!

5. Have a little "delete site" button for the salty members that triggers a fake error screen - or just automatically blocks their IP to make it look like the site doesn't exist. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluefluffy

Plushy Fusky
I would really love being able to find back all of the comments if posted in the past so i remember what auctions i placed a bid on and find back comments for more personal reason. Like, lets say you make a comment which you later on regret as it hurt someone, but neither of you remember where it was at, it would be really useful to find it back easily.

Ive also lost some commissioned art because i forgot to fav it and clean up my notes inbox regularly.

Id really love to see the option in the list of "Manage my content" where you can manage shouts and submissions etc.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
A phone app would be convenient. Just putting that out there.

fernshiine

I would really like to be able to write literature on the site, sort of like how you can on DeviantArt and the like.