• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Therapy

Distorted

Have you ever considered therapy? Did it ever work for you or someone else? Do you think it's any good for people?

Apparently it doesn't do you any good unless you believe in it. It helped me a lot in the past, but for some reason I stopped going. I would go to someone that worked at my old college for free, but ever since I stopped taking classes I haven't been back. We would use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to help work through my problems and to get everything off my chest. I really enjoyed it, since speaking with my family wasn't all that great. It helped me keep everything in perspective and simple.

I don't have any money to pay for therapy really, and I hate having my folks pay for it. Well, the insurance pays for it mostly, but copays can be expensive sometimes. I've been discussing with them that maybe I should go back to speaking with someone again. They can be difficult sometimes though. They didn't like my last therapist because he was "encouraging me to become gay" when he was actually helping me work through those feelings. And I tried discussing my issues with them, but it always ended badly. But luckily they just want to help me get better these days, and I'm sure that a bit of therapy will help me out.

My parents took me to therapy for a year because I was quite anti-social up through high school (in the sense that I had no friends in high school and never bothered to try and make any; I never caused trouble though). They were also concerned that all I ever really did was play video games, so they thought maybe therapy would help me out. To be honest, it only ever really felt like buying a person to talk to; I don't feel like it did much for me back then. I guess the only thing that really came from it was that in my shyness, I could sometimes tell him something and ask him to bring it up with my mom when they chatted; that's how it came to her attention that I wasn't straight. She always had her suspicions about that being the case though, and I feel like she thought that might have been something bothering me, and I might get a little better now that it was out, although not much really changed after that.

The thought of trying therapy has crossed my mind recently though because I seem to be having bouts of depressions, like every time I step away from the computer and have to face real life. It's something I wouldn't mind talking about with someone, and yet I feel like I can't do it with family or even my bf, and yet I tend to have no problem talking about just about anything with strangers, as long as it's appropriate to conversation.

jtrekkie

Feathered
It did a lot of good for me. If you think it will help you, I would pursue it.

Schelt

It really all comes down to whether or not you take what the doctor says to heart. I went to them plenty of times as I have chronic depression (though I'm treated now). Having someone unbiased listen to your issues and giving you feedback is incredibly relieving. It just feels like a weight off your shoulders. Also, since they are there to help you they are very good at making you feel comfortable and criticism is kept to a point where it doesn't feel negative but rather another view on the issue. They can also come up with great solutions you may not have heard of. I highly recommend it as it's these people's jobs to help you. It's time to be happy! You deserve it!

Bonobosoph

4 hands good 2 hands bad ;)
You should give it a go, it might work for you. Though I'd try different forms of therapy and compare them.
Before I was on meds I did CBT therapy for my anxiety and emetophobia, didn't really do much though. And the second time I tried they kicked me out because I kept forgetting to do "homework". I would try it again but I've found a number of things in my day to day life that have been very theraputic to me.
For example, I am usually extremely anal about sell by dates, where-as my other half is the opposite. He just doesn't give a shit, as long as it isn't visibly moudly he eats it. He chewed 10 year old gum a few weeks ago. And his disregard for dates has lossened my analness quite a bit, I can rely on the sniff test now. Atleast more than I could before I met him.
Also much of what I want to do involves travelling and being out on my own, so I have to do them in order to be happy and enjoy things. Going to the zoo every few weeks has really been a help, because I enjoy it and I get to train my anxiety to not worry about going far-ish distances. Plus when I'm there I'm that relaxed I'm practically zen.

RedSavage1

DefunctDupAccount
I look at it this way.

I'm a very logic based person. I will think and agonize over every single thing and try to 'logic' myself out of a lot of irrational emotions and reactions to difficulty and strife throughout my life. Sometimes it works. A lot of times it does. If I feel like using drugs, I remind myself that it didn't work out last time and that nothing will be better if I do. If I feel like sleeping all day, I force myself to get up and exercise and move my blood around because I know that it won't do me any other good otherwise.

But then there's more difficult things. Like, my family's animosity towards me. My brother's blob like behavior and my parent's acceptance of it. The fact that I have a buttload of debt looming on the horizon. These are the biggest worries in my life and they are constantly pressing at times. And no matter how hard I try to 'logic' myself out of them, they tend to stick around. And then I get into this loop where I'm telling myself, "You shouldn't feel bad... You KNOW you shouldn't feel bad about this... But you DO and so...." And then I start to feel bad for feeling bad, which is never a good place to be.

The easiest solution I've found is just to talk to somebody. Just talk. Out loud. With your voice. And a therapist is a person who will kindly listen to ALL your illogical mental nonsense and give you probably solutions all for a nominal fee. (My copay is just 20 dollars---I don't know what insurance you have). And every time I go in, I am utterly shocked at how much it actually helps. Just talking. Just throwing it ALL out into the air once and for all until you have nothing left to say. It really is helpful if youo've been thinking yourself in circles for quite sometime.

Maelstrom Eyre

Ahmoua Wolf
I have been to a therapist - this was several years ago (2007-ish) when I was having significant issues at work and eventually diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive type). She did help me a lot, mostly learning how to manage and adjust my way of doing things. I'd gone all through school, high school, college without ever being diagnosed (but always struggling, thought I was stupid or crazy) so I had my own ways of trying to learn and remember things. I was also having major issues with a supervisor and co-worker. Supervisor created a very hostile, catty, snarky, political work environment in our department. it was really, really bad. I've had crappy jobs before that, but this had me in such a constant state of anxiety that I lost about 70lbs in only a few months, I could not eat or sleep, and every night I hoped I would just fall asleep and not wake up because of how bad it was at work. I was in bad shape.

So, the therapist really was a help. She put together a list of accommodations for me to give to HR department at work, since ADHD is covered under the ADA. Plus, she was just someone to talk to. Yeah, she was paid to listen. . .but she understood ADHD, so she didn't accuse me of being "lazy" or "not trying hard enough" when I mentioned some of the struggles I had. She knew WHY I struggled and was able to offer suggestions to make my life easier.

In my opinion and experience, it was money well spent.

P

Phoenix-Kat

Been seeing them ever since I was a kid. It never seemed to work for me until my parents got out of my life and even then it never seemed to work. Everyone thinks I need to go on medication when my problems always had a legit reason. I was being abused at home or school, and I couldn't access my goals and my parents made me feel like shit.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
"Apparently it doesn't do you any good unless you believe in it" Is that like the placebo effect? That your mental help partially comes from your own attitudes and beliefs on something

I think it depends on the people skills of the therapist and your willingness to cooperate with them.

I think of the ideal therapist as just a professional listener. Someone you can pour all of your problems into without having to worry about anyone but the two of you knowing what is going on in your life. Therefore a therapist is only helpful if you are willing to talk to them.

A good therapist will challenge your problematic ways of thinking and acting without seeming judgmental, dogmatic, or condescending. If you're at a therapists office then you're obviously there to change something, right? So you have to be open to new options in order for therapy to work well.

I had a therapist once a long time ago, when I was in middle school. She was my sister's therapist but after a few group sessions with her my parents decided to let me see her on my own too. I pretty much was just an emotional and confused tween at the time with situational depression, but I found that talking to her helped, even though I decidded to ignore probably the most important piece of advice that she had given me (literally, "don't get too wrapped up in the internet". That one bit me in the ass for all of High School)

The therapy ended when she was just suddenly not employed at that clinic anymore. Because of confidentiality issues, we were never sure exactly what happened or where she went. With so few sessions I don't think that the therapy really did me any good. But I find now that talking to someone I trust helps me.

Baz

I went to therapy since I was 5, and ended therapy at 13, didn't seem to help was seeing a psychiatrist, a little after I was 13 I quit. Yesterday I was told a really needed it again. When I was 5-13 I went to therapy for my extremely anti-social, didn't seem to help. Im 16 now and have been and still am diagnosed with Generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder,Antisocial personality disorder, severe depression and now yesterday Pyromania and paranoid personality disorder. For pyromania and being paranoid I think therapy will work very well. For anti-social disorder it really never helped at all. All we talked about was things I worried about. Here is my advice, see a psychiatrist, they are very helpful and are pretty smart people. Meds help ALOT. sadly im taking almost 10 meds a day, I hate it, but I also need it because if not I would be batshit insane. Your not nearly bad as that you don't seem but it maybe it would help to see a psychiatrist for any disorders you think you might have, but if you just really want someone to talk to about what going on therapy is a good idea, my session yesterday with mine went well, and he comforted me. I know how it bad some things can feel and it really helps. Heck, one reason I joined the Furry fandom was not just because I love the art, stories and ideology, but the community seemed to welcoming and nice. But the answer you question plain and simple therap does work for most people, some people it just doesnt it really depends on the person. But if what ever your problems are get to bad see a psychiatrist, that's what im doing. I don't know much about how to comfort people with there problems, but I can try my best to hear you out and give you advice. If you do, email me at bazooca123@gmail.com, or my other contacts on my profile Skype and steam. best of luck to you! :grin:

Feste

I haven't found an answer yet
Have I considered it? Yeah, a bit. My ex and a bunch of my friends have done it, especially in college, and it helped them out a lot. My ex tried to push me into it, but I've always resisted it. I dunno, I've always had an aversion to it myself, being a private person and feeling going to therapy would make me "weak" when I don't need more of that. Whether or not that's wrong, I don't think my problems are issues enough to consider going. That said, if you do have a medical issue and it helps to deal with that, or if you just feel so overwhelmed that you need to someone like a shrink to hear you out, then go for it.

Distorted

"Apparently it doesn't do you any good unless you believe in it" Is that like the placebo effect? That your mental help partially comes from your own attitudes and beliefs on something
I always heard that as long as you want to improve than it'll work for you. You have to be open and willing just like Monochromatic said. The methods and skill they use help you figure yourself out, but ultimately it depends of if you want to get better or not.

I went to therapy since I was 5, and ended therapy at 13, didn't seem to help was seeing a psychiatrist, a little after I was 13 I quit. Yesterday I was told a really needed it again. When I was 5-13 I went to therapy for my extremely anti-social, didn't seem to help. Im 16 now and have been and still am diagnosed with Generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder,Antisocial personality disorder, severe depression and now yesterday Pyromania and paranoid personality disorder. For pyromania and being paranoid I think therapy will work very well. For anti-social disorder it really never helped at all. All we talked about was things I worried about. Here is my advice, see a psychiatrist, they are very helpful and are pretty smart people. Meds help ALOT. sadly im taking almost 10 meds a day, I hate it, but I also need it because if not I would be batshit insane. Your not nearly bad as that you don't seem but it maybe it would help to see a psychiatrist for any disorders you think you might have, but if you just really want someone to talk to about what going on therapy is a good idea, my session yesterday with mine went well, and he comforted me. I know how it bad some things can feel and it really helps. Heck, one reason I joined the Furry fandom was not just because I love the art, stories and ideology, but the community seemed to welcoming and nice. But the answer you question plain and simple therap does work for most people, some people it just doesnt it really depends on the person. But if what ever your problems are get to bad see a psychiatrist, that's what im doing. I don't know much about how to comfort people with there problems, but I can try my best to hear you out and give you advice. If you do, email me at bazooca123@gmail.com, or my other contacts on my profile Skype and steam. best of luck to you! :grin:

Thank you. I see a psychiatrist still, but in my experience they're not very helpful outside of my diagnosis. They come off as rather cold and critical whenever I talk to them. Everything focuses around medication and how I'm feeling in regards to it. Not much room to discuss anything else.

P

Phoenix-Kat

Most "therapists" I had to see did not know anything about the condition I had/have: autism/Asperger's Syndrome.

Mauve

Tried it for social anxiety and in the end I never got better. Therapy has never helped, only medication. I think half of the things they "sell" are mind tricks that don't necessarily fix anything. I've had to teach myself to understand when I'm thinking irrationally. It doesn't always work, but at least I don't have to pay $100+ for a fucking shrink visit.

P

Phoenix-Kat

Most "therapists" I had to see did not know anything about the condition I had/have: autism/Asperger's Syndrome. I was still living with my parents at the time because I was under eighteen and there was nothing I could do about it (even at 27 my parents tried very hard to keep me from leaving and wanted me to stay with them) and we lived in the boondocks. My parents did not want to put any effort into finding a competent therapist who knew how to treat a child with Asperger's. If insurance would not cover it and my parents had to pay out of pocket, forget it. Yeah, I really feel like I mattered to my parents. *sarcasm*

Teckolf

Drank ALL the Coffee!!!
Yeah, it sucked but it was free through the college...

In the end though the "therapy" actually made me more anxious as I dreaded it more than anything. Finally went to see a GP who prescribed me an anti-depressant to help with the anxiety and severe panic attacks. I am still nervous, inattentive, and anxious but the meds reduced the number and severity of my panic attacks and they take the edge of the anxiety enough to function somewhat normally.

Now I realize that is not your problem but give therapy another shot. If it doesn't seem to work or it makes family tensions significantly worse, stop going and look for help elsewhere.

Explolguy

I went to therapy very briefly after a crisis in my life. I stayed for two sessions, disliked it, and told myself I'd work the shit out on my own.

I seem to have done pretty well, so perhaps I made the best decision?

Baz

I always heard that as long as you want to improve than it'll work for you. You have to be open and willing just like Monochromatic said. The methods and skill they use help you figure yourself out, but ultimately it depends of if you want to get better or not.

Thank you. I see a psychiatrist still, but in my experience they're not very helpful outside of my diagnosis. They come off as rather cold and critical whenever I talk to them. Everything focuses around medication and how I'm feeling in regards to it. Not much room to discuss anything else.

Yeah, mines kinda like that but she knows pretty well what to give me. But for therapy if you just need someone to talk to and them understand and help you through it therapy works pretty good in my opinion.

Arcana

career lurker
I'm going to be going to a psychiatrist soon. Hopefully I'll find a good one.

jtrekkie

Feathered
You want to make sure you do get a good one.