• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Therians//Otherkin

MechaMegs

The Red Menace
Banned
Any other furries also find themselves kind of aligning towards the Therian Otherkin side of things in some regards of their identities?

I ask this as someone who has found that through my fursona and having non NSFW pet play with my partners that I align with much of that identity and the interactions with others as such.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
....no experiences with phantom horns/wings/tail, just the hoarding of shiny objects and dice and writing supplies... and in my case the swimming. So... nah, not really there at this point in time.

I was pretty certain we had a cat otherkin around here....

Ennui Elemental

Eat shit and die, tankie assholes
Banned
Indifferent to it, no identification with it personally but unless someone finds a way to make it my problem specifically it's not something I intend to devote much thought to

Past interactions with therian/otherkin have been mixed leaning towards poor but it wasn't typically the therian/otherkin part that caused friction

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
I don't personally relate to it, but I also don't feel like I relate to some other aspects of the fandom. Just kind of do what you enjoy, as long as it's not hurting anyone else.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
....no experiences with phantom horns/wings/tail, just the hoarding of shiny objects and dice and writing supplies... and in my case the swimming. So... nah, not really there at this point in time.

I was pretty certain we had a cat otherkin around here....
I was going to reply differently but I have to confess, I do covet/hoard writing supplies/pens/mechanical pencils/colored drawing pencils of all types. I also collect guitars. And painting supplies. Oh, and markers. And model car kits . . .

Better shut up now before I go too far.

I almost forgot, fountain pens. They are my favorite to write with.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Not really, but there's something else. My sona's default species, the striped hyena, is a very strong personal symbol for me, one could say, animal totem. It has very special meaning for me and the characteristics of that creature correspond to the way I roll.

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord & Local Robot Kinnie
Cat, barn owl, and crow therian here, as well as fictionkin. My sona is actually named after the nickname I got (Steel) from friends shortening the name Steeljaw, who I kin. Been involved in the therian/fictkin communities for several years now.

Ironically, I actually couldn't click with any sonas I made from my theriotypes, and the only 'reptile' I kin is Luchino Diruse.

Generally I'm not entirely open about the whole thing but this thread seems like it'd be a little more accepting toward it

Khafra

Heave away, haul away
Yeah, no. It's weird.
Don't get me wrong, if I had the option to look like my sona IRL I'd take it, but convincing yourself you are an animal or fantasy creature born in a human's body is gonna be a pass for me.

Judge Spear

Yeah, no. It's weird.
Don't get me wrong, if I had the option to look like my sona IRL I'd take it, but convincing yourself you are an animal or fantasy creature born in a human's body is gonna be a pass for me.
Same. Couldn't be me playing pretend past the age of 8.

justenoughlight

Cat, barn owl, and crow therian here, as well as fictionkin. My sona is actually named after the nickname I got (Steel) from friends shortening the name Steeljaw, who I kin. Been involved in the therian/fictkin communities for several years now.

Ironically, I actually couldn't click with any sonas I made from my theriotypes, and the only 'reptile' I kin is Luchino Diruse.

Generally I'm not entirely open about the whole thing but this thread seems like it'd be a little more accepting toward it
Omg I’m also a cat and crow therian!!!

QueenSekhmet

A Nightmare Dressed Like A Daydream
while i view my fursonas as being very personal,almost spiritual things: i am not a cat or a dragon. i will not hiss at you nor will i threaten to burn you with fire/eat you because that's dumb and i am a smart cookie.

Rimna

There was this dragon otherkin in Hannibal season 3 who was tearing people to shreds and putting their mutilated corpses on display.

No thanks.

I also find it interesting how all these people pretending to be animals irl are always some mighty species like dragon, wolf, big cat, mythical creature, demon, or a hybrid. I've never met a dung beetle otherkin or a common worm otherkin, or a fly otherkin. It's interesting, isn't it?

QueenSekhmet

I also find it interesting how all these people pretending to be animals irl are always some mighty species like dragon, wolf, big cat, mythical creature, demon, or a hybrid. I've never met a dung beetle otherkin or a common worm otherkin, or a fly otherkin. It's interesting, isn't it?

THANK YOU! my biggest problem with otherkin is that it's ALWAYS some cool species like a dragon,wolf,angel,demon,alien ect: not a single person claiming to be any kind of "kin" is claiming to be anything that isn't cool and pretty much every one of them act according to some bull shit stereotype like "wolves are big,hungry dogs that will kill you on sight" (and god know's how many "angelkin" don't know what a single thing about what angels are actually like in the bible...or that "angel" is just one type out of many and it's the lowest rank).

i fully believe that there are other forms of life from other worlds out there and they can and DO take human hosts...but the moment anyone says they're some kind of otherkin,i know they are full of shit because the real thing would never identify as otherkin and all the attention whores that go with it.

Smityyyy

Racc Man
THANK YOU! my biggest problem with otherkin is that it's ALWAYS some cool species like a dragon,wolf,angel,demon,alien ect: not a single person claiming to be any kind of "kin" is claiming to be anything that isn't cool and pretty much every one of them act according to some bull shit stereotype like "wolves are big,hungry dogs that will kill you on sight" (and god know's how many "angelkin" don't know what a single thing about what angels are actually like in the bible...or that "angel" is just one type out of many and it's the lowest rank).

i fully believe that there are other forms of life from other worlds out there and they can and DO take human hosts...but the moment anyone says they're some kind of otherkin,i know they are full of shit because the real thing would never identify as otherkin and all the attention whores that go with it.
Not even being ironic here but have you ever met a worm otherkin… like an earthworm?

QueenSekhmet

Not even being ironic here but have you ever met a worm otherkin… like an earthworm?
i ain't even heard of a wormkin. mostly because they don't exist because no one want's to be a wiggly,wet tube that eats dirt when they could be a mermaid instead.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
There was this dragon otherkin in Hannibal season 3 who was tearing people to shreds and putting their mutilated corpses on display.

No thanks.

It's like people who think they have been reincarnated. They always think they were King Arthur or Cleopatra in their past life.

while i view my fursonas as being very personal,almost spiritual things: i am not a cat or a dragon. i will not hiss at you nor will i threaten to burn you with fire/eat you because that's dumb and i am a smart cookie.
You specify "....i will not hiss at you..." But I'm not an otherkin, and I do hiss when threatened IRL...

ben909

vaporeon character != mushroom characters
read it as otterkin for a second

justenoughlight

No thanks.

I mean I’m a moth therian (funnily enough I created my moth sona first which helped me realize I was mothkin) and I know a couple rat therians :)

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
For a long time I’ve felt a desire to be something other than human (what exactly that is has varied), and the idea that I might count myself as therian occurred to me.
It wasn‘t long before I decided I wasn’t. There were a few reasons, but one of them I’m not sure was quite correct.
I had understood being therian or otherkin to be a spiritual thing, and when I was pondering these things about myself, I had recently realized that I’d slowly become an atheist. I felt that I could not reconcile atheism with a spiritual identity. But I’m not sure if that’s entirely correct if therianism is not strictly spiritual.

QueenSekhmet

For a long time I’ve felt a desire to be something other than human (what exactly that is has varied), and the idea that I might count myself as therian occurred to me.
It wasn‘t long before I decided I wasn’t. There were a few reasons, but one of them I’m not sure was quite correct.
I had understood being therian or otherkin to be a spiritual thing, and when I was pondering these things about myself, I had recently realized that I’d slowly become an atheist. I felt that I could not reconcile atheism with a spiritual identity. But I’m not sure if that’s entirely correct if therianism is not strictly spiritual.
doesn't being atheist,by default mean that you're forced to just accept that you're human,though? like,you don't believe if spirits as a whole much less that you can have the spirit of a wolf in a human body and science has yet to prove that aliens can take human hosts and everything else is just religions and myths so doesn't that mean that you have no choice but to accept your own humanity?