• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Therianthropy vs. Wat

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
Kinda new to the game of being in The Den. You guys typically scare me. :V

But anyway. Sure it has been posted before by someone, but I am pretty confused. Remember that stickied thread I did on not coming out as a fur? Well, a couple years later, here I sit.

I have always been obsessed with the idea of shifting, etc., etc. Kind of like a playground pretend-to-be-Yoshis (that is what I did with my bestie in grades K-1) taken too far. Grades 2-5 it was a Pokémon thing, then from 6 and on it was my introduction to fursuiting and the development of my fursona, Glitch. Now, I feel more of a connection to my characters, now including Axis. Psychologically. Like, I'd rather be them. They show the best and worst in me. I am fully capable of doing that in my human body, but, yeah. Anthros are cooler to me. It's a little obnoxious, though, seeing as I rant about how being interested in the furry fandom is just a hobby (still is to me).

I've been looking at therianthropy as a possible explanation for all of this obsession. Now, I know that being a therian ≠ being a furry. Not by a long shot. And don't call me an otherkin; I know that I am fully human. I just don't like it. Species dysphoria I guess, not clinical lycanthropy. You won't hear that "I'm a wolf" talk from me.

I don't want to do that whole insane body modification stuff. I'm all good. Do I wish I had limbs like tails or stuff like that? Yeah. But that is less realistic than me growing a dick overnight so I can stop dealing with my raging penis envy.

Tell mum, she shrugs and says "get used to being human."
She puts up with so much from me. :V

Now go ahead, let yourself think I am a nutcase and see how far that gets ya.
Clearly stated my human identity, but all of this shifting stuff is a very vivid part of my imagination.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
It's not Therianthropy, it's just feeling a Psychological connection to characters that you made/developed. It happens.

Last edited:

Dreaming

Species dysphoria *Googles* Oh wow it exists.

Hmm, self-identification. If you wish to identify with therianthropy, and feel that it fits you, then go for it, I guess.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
There's nothing unnatural, or even distasteful, about finding flaws in our own species and ourselves; and there's nothing unnatural or distasteful about admiring the perfection of Pokémon, furry characters, or any other of our many inventions.

Your character embodies all of you, good and bad, with no hiding, no lying; he already is you. If you'd rather be him... it's a shame it can't happen. But it's just as natural to want it.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Well whatever floats your boat I guess.

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
It's not Therianthropy, it's just feeling Psychological connection to characters that you made/developed. It happens.

Then what is Therianthropy, exactly?
No sarcasm there, just honest interest.

Because I clipped some crap out for the sake of not sounding insane. (Nothing bad, no worries.)

Species dysphoria *Googles* Oh wow it exists.

Hmm, self-identification. If you wish to identify with therianthropy, and feel that it fits you, then go for it, I guess.

Identification, yes. It's not like it's something in my genes that "makes" me this way.
It's just a super, super strong interest and obsession.

There's nothing unnatural, or even distasteful, about finding flaws in our own species and ourselves; and there's nothing unnatural or distasteful about admiring the perfection of Pokémon, furry characters, or any other of our many inventions.

Your character embodies all of you, good and bad, with no hiding, no lying; he already is you. If you'd rather be him... it's a shame it can't happen. But it's just as natural to want it.

My characters have been parts of me for about three and a half years (Glitch) and two and a half years (Axis). I usually feel better if I imagine myself as them. Sounds silly, but if I imagine me in their bodies, it boosts my confidence. In spite of people who shower me with compliments (the few that do), I am still odd-feeling in my body.

But pretending to be a 6'2" mutated jackal/hyena thing won't get me very far in life. :V

As mum says "It's good to want, it proves you're alive."

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Then what is Therianthropy, exactly?
No sarcasm there, just honest interest.

A Spiritual/totemic connection with a specific animal....or something along the lines of that.

Some people who create characters often at times feel a connection with the characters that they create...and at times insert their better traits into the character they create, and try to make it absent of their flaws. In some cases, furries create fursuits in order to connect with their character because they feel that their character is better than "them"...in which that their "Persona" is them...or their Ego-traits.
Blah blah blah psychology blah blah blah crap...

Last edited:

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
So then is otherkin the result of people turning D&D/LARPing into a religion? Because it all started out with people believing they were elves.

As for therianthropy, eh, whatever suits you.

Last edited:

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
My characters have been parts of me for about three and a half years (Glitch) and two and a half years (Axis). I usually feel better if I imagine myself as them. Sounds silly, but if I imagine me in their bodies, it boosts my confidence. In spite of people who shower me with compliments (the few that do), I am still odd-feeling in my body.

But pretending to be a 6'2" mutated jackal/hyena thing won't get me very far in life. :V

As mum says "It's good to want, it proves you're alive."

If it empowers you, what's the harm in believing it? You've already proven you're a rational thinker, in touch with your biological human identity. And having Axis and Glitch as "ghosts in the shell" is obviously a source of strength for you. You've clearly shown you're not delusional, you know you're a biological human - so this is a genuine desire of yours, rather than a genuine problem.

I'm not gonna lie, I've been in the Pokemon community for about four and a half years now, and in that time I've come to be in contact with absolutely fascinating people with fascinating minds and beliefs; otherkin, pokeathropes, and it's all kind of beautiful in its own way. I've always thought that normal was boring, but too many people still place such a weight on "normal" and "expected" that they end up fighting themselves to repress parts of their minds and psyches - when it's obvious that their natural beliefs and tendencies make them happy.

Keep your chars around, I'd say.

Last edited:

Ad Hoc

Some old guy
At the risk of sounding incredibly condescending--and I apologize for it--how old are you? I had the same or similar feelings growing up, but they suddenly faded out a few years ago.

I think it's probably not as uncommon as one might imagine. As long as it's not leading you to antisocial behaviors, it's probably fine. For some it even seems to lead into a sort of totemism or similar spirituality, which may or may not be helpful.

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
At the risk of sounding incredibly condescending--and I apologize for it--how old are you? I had the same or similar feelings growing up, but they suddenly faded out a few years ago.

I think it's probably not as uncommon as one might imagine. As long as it's not leading you to antisocial behaviors, it's probably fine. For some it even seems to lead into a sort of totemism or similar spirituality, which may or may not be helpful.

From a Milwaukee family, incidentally (noticed your post about the city).

But yeah. Grew up with a religious upbringing, was fanatic Christian until I grew a mind of my own and identified other things about me.

Now, atheist, relatively social (it changes depending on my mood), treated for personality disorders and severe depression (loss of immediate family and various trauma), but working on it with therapy, yadda yadda. But spirits, yeah, cool stuff. That was always part of my pretend stuff (like shiny rocks having magic powers for the transformations, etc.) back in kindergarten. Not so much anymore.

Dunno if that was very helpful. :V

According to things said in psych class (I don't have any studies at my fingertips), kids who played pretend in early years typically are more creative (duh) and intelligent. Works for me, a very right-brained individual.

Kosdu

Yeah, I pretended that eating sunblock would give me powers to transform as a little kid...... they had to call the poison control.
I still remember the whole thing, never said why I ate it.... too embarassed by the reason.......
I was like 5 or younger...

As long as it doesn't screw up anything, don't worry about it.

Ad Hoc

Some old guy
From a Milwaukee family, incidentally (noticed your post about the city).
Hey there Wiscon-sis. *fist bump*

It sounds like you've had a bit of a rough time of it, which I think would lend additional credence to the coping/escapism theory.

I seem to remember mine faded out when I was 18 or so; right around the time I started cultivating romantic relationships, although I'm not sure if the two are related. I remember it being an uncomfortable feeling. It was just sort of itchy, more than it was empowering. I don't miss it now that it's gone. Dunno if that is how it is for you.

Personally I wouldn't . . . I don't know, encourage it, if such a thing is possible, unless you're really sure you can do so in a constructive fashion. (Healing/empowering forms of religion, etc.,) But I wouldn't worry about it or feel bad about it either. It's not a sign that you're crazy or anything.

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
Hey there Wiscon-sis. *fist bump*

It sounds like you've had a bit of a rough time of it, which I think would lend additional credence to the coping/escapism theory.

I seem to remember mine faded out when I was 18 or so; right around the time I started cultivating romantic relationships, although I'm not sure if the two are related. I remember it being an uncomfortable feeling. It was just sort of itchy, more than it was empowering. I don't miss it now that it's gone. Dunno if that is how it is for you.

Personally I wouldn't . . . I don't know, encourage it, if such a thing is possible, unless you're really sure you can do so in a constructive fashion. (Healing/empowering forms of religion, etc.,) But I wouldn't worry about it or feel bad about it either. It's not a sign that you're crazy or anything.

My first romantic relationship was when I was 14.
In one now and have been for a while. The correlation isn't there for me. :V

There is certainly intentions of escapism in there. Getting away from this life, if only for a little while, sounds nice.

Brazen

Terrorist Scum
Nah, therianthropy is when you have an unexplainable urge to pee everywhere to mark you territory, bite people who annoy you and run around on all fours, the "I am wolf because WOLF STRONG" is at best totemism but most likely you trying to subconsciously rebel against the society of your parents (like all teenagers do) by trying to find a connection with the culture of a society that has been wiped out by western colonialism and for that reason has been raised to a pedestal of idolization with its otherwise silly beliefs treated as exotic and therefore meaningful somehow.

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
Nah, therianthropy is when you have an unexplainable urge to pee everywhere to mark you territory, bite people who annoy you and run around on all fours, the "I am wolf because WOLF STRONG" is at best totemism but most likely you trying to subconsciously rebel against the society of your parents (like all teenagers do) by trying to find a connection with the culture of a society that has been wiped out by western colonialism and for that reason has been raised to a pedestal of idolization with its otherwise silly beliefs treated as exotic and therefore meaningful somehow.

Sounds more like a case of clinical lycanthropy.
Sorry, not a nutjob like that. :V

Yukikitsune

3D nerd
Honestly, it sounds like you have it under control. You identify yourself as a human, but you feel a strong desire to be more like the characters you created. These characters, if I'm reading this correctly, are essentially idealized versions of your own personality. That's not insanity, that's a desire to be true to yourself. Nothing to be ashamed of about that.

Attaman

"Welcome to FurAffinity Forums, gentlemen."
To be fair, it is something to be ashamed about if it's used as an excuse to not do anything. However, I don't see Glitch going "WELL I CAN NEVER BE THIS GOOD SO MY FURSONA IS", so that doesn't appear to be a problem in this case. In some others I've seen? Not so much.

Glitch

SLUDGE FACE
To be fair, it is something to be ashamed about if it's used as an excuse to not do anything. However, I don't see Glitch going "WELL I CAN NEVER BE THIS GOOD SO MY FURSONA IS", so that doesn't appear to be a problem in this case. In some others I've seen? Not so much.

To the dismay of many, I'm sure, I'm not going to stop living my life because I hate my outer shell. :V