• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Things in video games that annoy the @#%$ out of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that, especially in Pokemon games. You just need one more hit to KO a gym leader or someone...and miss, even on a low-level, high-accuracy move.

Oh yeah that would get very annoying..x.x...then you have to start ALL over again...Or like your on the final boss and your save point is a while back and you can't skip the CG movies...and you need one more hit and you have one more hit till you die..and he gets ya.. x.x...

Range

Round D O G E
-"How about you stay there, mate. I'll check for booby traps.
-"*chuckles* Booby traps? Isn't that a big cliche?
-"No, mate, since you're the boob, and here's the trap! *sticks Slag on a stick into Darkwater's body, also causing 100s of undead pirates to roam free in the Caverns*

I hate games with undead things in them, there's too much of it.

How about undead that's hard to kill? Mabinogi is a perfect example. The zombies, unless you're really good with ONE skill, they take forever to kill. The best part about is, unlike every other monster/player in the game, the can walk while using the Counter skill, and stand still while using Defense instead of walking. All attacks do 1 damage and have no knockback except 2, Smash, which won't work if they're using counter, and Windmill, which is weaker if they are defending and takes away 10% of your max HP. Did I mention that it's nearly impossible to tell whether they are defending or countering? Did I also mention that you HAVE to kill 50 of them for a quest to revive in town, or else when you die, you have to go back to the other world or wait until some random passer by revives you? (The zombies only appear in "Another World", which you can only get to with a special pass and even then, you can only enter on Saturdays)

So I'm adding these to the list:
Enemies that can use the same attack/move as every other monster, but they can do something else with it.

Enemies that have skills that are nearly impossible to tell apart, and the 2 skills make a huge difference in the fight.

Fighting an enemy that is easiest to kill with the one skill you never use/upgrade.

Oh yeah that would get very annoying..x.x...then you have to start ALL over again...Or like your on the final boss and your save point is a while back and you can't skip the CG movies...and you need one more hit and you have one more hit till you die..and he gets ya.. x.x...
How about when you BOTH hit eachother, but it doesn't count for you, because the boss has some dramatic death sequence before he's officially dead. I forgot what game it was, but this has happened to me a few times on a game. I think it might have been Megaman.

Last edited:
How about undead that's hard to kill? Mabinogi is a perfect example. The zombies, unless you're really good with ONE skill, they take forever to kill. The best part about is, unlike every other monster/player in the game, the can walk while using the Counter skill, and stand still while using Defense instead of walking. All attacks do 1 damage and have no knockback except 2, Smash, which won't work if they're using counter, and Windmill, which is weaker if they are defending and takes away 10% of your max HP. Did I mention that it's nearly impossible to tell whether they are defending or countering? Did I also mention that you HAVE to kill 50 of them for a quest to revive in town, or else when you die, you have to go back to the other world or wait until some random passer by revives you? (The zombies only appear in "Another World", which you can only get to with a special pass and even then, you can only enter on Saturdays)

So I'm adding these to the list:
Enemies that can use the same attack/move as every other monster, but they can do something else with it.

Enemies that have skills that are nearly impossible to tell apart, and the 2 skills make a huge difference in the fight.

Fighting an enemy that is easiest to kill with the one skill you never use/upgrade.

How about when you BOTH hit eachother, but it doesn't count for you, because the boss has some dramatic death sequence before he's officially dead. I forgot what game it was, but this has happened to me a few times on a game. I think it might have been Megaman.

Oh gosh..x.x...Yeah that'd be annoying.. o-o...specially if it happens in 2 times or more in a row!

Daniel Kay

Scalie love
Let me guess, it just so happens to also be a Bethesda title?

Nope i've never been a "rain of radioactive dust and particles" player ,my game of grief involves a little purple dragon... i think that says enough

PJHippo

Hungry Hungry Hippo!!
Tomb Raider Legend on the DS. I nearly broke my DS so many times over that game!

psion

- Stupid checkpoint systems: I am so glad consoles finally graduated to the "save anywhere" system PC has been at for years. Working my way to a save point just felt so annoying.
- Bad AI: I cannot count how many times my team mates in Haze kept walking into my shots.
- Immature online pricks: I haven't run into many, PC gaming doesn't have as many of the little worms as console gaming does. But the few that are there are naturally a little tougher...
- JRPGs: Japanese console RPGs have really lost their charm, especially now that I've gotten access to my fair share of Western RPGs. No more formalic stories, characters that are essentially set in stone except for some gradual sense of getting "better."
- Old-school fanboys: Bringing a old game into the latest generation is tough, it's even harder when some traditionalist pricks are willing to condemn the game even before anyone's had a chance to play it. They tend to ignore things like setting, characterization, and themes for things like archaic graphics systems, minor changes in the art style, and mechanics that were more of a necessity at the time then a feature.

Ravagraid

Forty people ready to kill, and one idiot forgetting to do a single move wiping a raid group.
Drunk people attending raids.

Grenade hacks.[wolfteam....ergrgrg]

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
Locked doors and waist-height barriers.

You have a rocket launcher, BLOW THE FUCKING DOOR DOWN!
This is why I loved Red Faction. Malleable terrain=WIN!!. As for my gripe, it has to be omniscient AI. Prime example are RTS games. The computer seems to know exactly where you are, everytime. I've even tested this theory in an editor, and they make a beeline for your ass. They don't even explore other parts of the map, just a single line right to your base. Also, in game cutscenes, specifically on some older games. They were done so poorly.

Kajet

FINALLY killing an enemy boss but dying just before you completely win.
The "hay letz copy HALO!111!" mentality in pretty much every FPS in the last decade.
Games that look like there was gonna be something awesome in it but they ditched it for time or something else.
Things in a game that are only used ONCE or twice the whole game, like 1ups

Drecano

CoD4 online. I shot a guy in his head with a LMG and he didnt die. So I unloaded a full clip of said LMG into him......didnt die. He shot me in the leg with a pistol.....died. That is annoying as hell.

Notorious

Rock Bhunneh!
Stupidly accurate AI in Rainbow Six Vegas 2. A couple of friends and I started playing it again last night and the amount of times we looked around a corner and got a shotgun to the face from half way across the map was just stupid.

Ty Vulpine

Stupidly accurate AI in Rainbow Six Vegas 2. A couple of friends and I started playing it again last night and the amount of times we looked around a corner and got a shotgun to the face from half way across the map was just stupid.

I hated that sniper ON THE FIRST LEVEL. I lost count how many times he sniped me.

ADF

It emphasised graphics, and expected the player to make their own fun. That thar is not good game design.
Graphics are just part of the experience, not the experience. What is it about a good looking game that people automatically assume it is catering to graphics over game play? Seems to me Crysis is just not your style of game, sounds like you wouldn't like Spore either; since that game is about making your own fun with what you have been given as well.

If you want to be hand led through the experience play a corridor shooter.

LordWibble

Graphics are just part of the experience, not the experience. What is it about a good looking game that people automatically assume it is catering to graphics over game play? Seems to me Crysis is just not your style of game, sounds like you wouldn't like Spore either; since that game is about making your own fun with what you have been given as well.

If you want to be hand led through the experience play a corridor shooter.

I will then. I like linear gameplay, at least as far as shooters are concerned. Spore is a different beast. Spore is a game that encourages imagination, whereas Crysis just offers multifarious ways to blow things up. I actually detest open-world design as a general rule, linear gameplay can be pulled off effectively and still offer multiple gameplay routes, see Alone in the Dark for a recent example, or Fallout for a brilliant older one.

ADF

I will then. I like linear gameplay, at least as far as shooters are concerned. Spore is a different beast. Spore is a game that encourages imagination, whereas Crysis just offers multifarious ways to blow things up. I actually detest open-world design as a general rule, linear gameplay can be pulled off effectively and still offer multiple gameplay routes, see Alone in the Dark for a recent example, or Fallout for a brilliant older one.

We just have differen't tastes then.

But don't downplay Crysis as being an unimaginative graphics whore game; just because it's encouragement for creativity in your approach is not to your personal taste.

darkdy50

JD the shapeshifter mage
racing areas in a non racing game, repeating bosses, enemys 10 levels above you on the first area.

LordWibble

We just have differen't tastes then.

But don't downplay Crysis as being an unimaginative graphics whore game; just because it's encouragement for creativity in your approach is not to your personal taste.

Actually, I'm being a bit overly negative here. I actually really enjoyed the time I had with the demo, it's just that because the AI is keyed towards FPS, and therefore has unnaturally good eyesight, making stealth gameplay impossible unless you use the cloak (which feels cheap). Being semi-obsessive-compulsive as I am, it pisses me off not being able to flawlessly pull off a stealthy entrance. It's fun ramboing shit up for half-hour intervals. But there's so much freedom, I don't feel compelled to ever buy the full game. That's poor marketing right there.

EDIT:
Kyra said:
on rail shooters i hate em with a vengence

Then play thyself some Panzer Dragoon Orta, quicksmart, sirrah!

Last edited:
B

beetleguy

The Grim Reaper in Kid Icarus. Why does the grim reaper have to throw his midget children at you instead of trying to kill you himself?

The Eggplant Wizard, also in Kid Icarus. A purple man with one eye and red Shoop-Da-Woop lips carrying an eggplant staff throws eggplants at you and tries to turn you into one. What does this have to do with Greek mythology?

And the third boss in Kid Icarus. It's name is Pandora. Pandora was a human whos curiousity brought bad things into the world. In this game, however, it's a frickin annoying blob thing that blows deadly bubbles, that go all around the screen.

I still like the game, but those three things are just downright confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.