• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Things in video games that annoy the @#%$ out of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkmasterwolf

The Seeker of the Destiny
TIMED BOSS BATTLES.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

It takes time to work out what to do, y'know!
I agree with you XD...i hate that T_T...

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
RPG sequels that give no reason to loss of stats and equipment. at least DDS2 hinted at a reason, but stuff like FFX2 just expect you to say "yay! i lost all my rare items and all my characters are now unable to cast any of the spells that i spent 1625 hours earning! ........YAY!!!!"

I don't see that as a valid gripe.

You start FFX-2 and go through with only three characters. Two of them you had in FF-X...one loses the ability to Summon meaning she has to re-learn how to fight. The other...I'm sorry but I'm not going to play a game that makes it insanely easy by allowing the one character that can mega heal, or mega blow up your enemies with two standard items to have inventory transferred over from the last game.

Besides you get to play around with the whole Dressphere thing that makes up for it.

Now I can understand the gripe in Xenosaga. You should have had more transfer from one game to another via memory card if you beat the previous games.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
(SPOILER ALERT)
What things annoy me game wise?

One is that when you have a series like Xenosaga, you end up having part of the game left behind and never transferred over. Technically there are 4 Xenosaga games. Four!!!!

But when you pick up the American III you find yourself completely lost because a game that focus's so heavily on it's kick-ass story line has half a game missing because it was released in Japan but not in America.

I don't like finishing II only to get III and find Shion having quit Vector and joined some new group Scientia...and it's like..."I don't remember this happening in II" Oh wait...it happened in III but that was never released in Ameirca.

That still pisses me off. Yeah, yeah, they stuck the info into the written part in the game so you can read up on it but still. They really should have transferred the real III over and if it was not appropriate for American eyes oh well. Let the soccer mom's and self proclaimed hockey mom's baw. A really big part of the story line did not make it to America....;fumes;

Also when you have a series stick to the fucking same battle mechanics okay? I hate it when they think it is funny or cute to change up something that already works. Xenosaga I had a nice battle system. It was neat and fun. Then they fucked it up in II...and in the American III you get something dumbed down. They should have returned I to III...my opinion. (Same issue with that sad excuse of a game FF12, stupid story line, shallow plot, shallow characters, and a messed up battle system to boot).

That and they decide "Hey let's change Momo's voice from something tolerable to "OMG I NEED TO GOUGE MY EARS OUT, HER VOICE IS SO ANNOYING".

That just annoys me. Series need continuity in battle mechanics and character voices.

Other things that annoy me are graphics wars. That's nice...so you have a game that has OMG amazing graphics. Plot sucks. Now let me go and dig through my old games for something more, I don't know, plot friendly? A game with good graphics and shallow plot may as well be Glover brought to the latest gen console....kudos to any poor gamer who knows what sad excuse for a game I am talking about.

The last thing is games that companies keep trying to rehash. Sorry, Sonic? Needs to be buried with a stake through it. Same with Spyro. Mario is going the same way. I don't know how it is possible but Zelda is still going strong. Some games simply need to die. They are dead...and new games only serve to further ruin and destroy the franchise.

Last edited:
I have to second (third? fourth? tenth?) the save point thing. I mean it made sense at one point back in the day when the games couldn't handle it. But now, WHY? just gimme a quicksave option (even if its only one slot), just let me sleep when I want to rather than making me wait another hour to find a save point

Range

Round D O G E
I don't see that as a valid gripe.

You start FFX-2 and go through with only three characters. Two of them you had in FF-X...one loses the ability to Summon meaning she has to re-learn how to fight. The other...I'm sorry but I'm not going to play a game that makes it insanely easy by allowing the one character that can mega heal, or mega blow up your enemies with two standard items to have inventory transferred over from the last game.

Besides you get to play around with the whole Dressphere thing that makes up for it.

Now I can understand the gripe in Xenosaga. You should have had more transfer from one game to another via memory card if you beat the previous games.

In Golden Sun I and II they sorta addressed that. They made it that you could import your characters from Golden Sun I over to II, but you couldn't actually use them until about the point where the characters from the new game and the old game are about even level anyways.

leon101

Rookie Cop
Password saving, in stead of save files... urks me every time.

As for level grinding, I actually like that. It relaxes me for some reason.

DragonRift

Space Invader
Password saving, in stead of save files... urks me every time.

As for level grinding, I actually like that. It relaxes me for some reason.

Oooh! I'll take that one level further! How about those old NES/SNES games with INSANELY LONG-ASS passwords, which consisted of a mix of letters, numbers, and a bunch of other shapes and symbols. Some ranged from little tiny ones that you could memorize, while others were ludicrously HUGE, requiring you to waste paper writing down some 48-character password that will become absolutely worthless if you forget to write down that the "O" is actually a "0".

Thank God the "save file" system caught on nice 'n quick after that.

T

Tycho

Oooh! I'll take that one level further! How about those old NES/SNES games with INSANELY LONG-ASS passwords, which consisted of a mix of letters, numbers, and a bunch of other shapes and symbols. Some ranged from little tiny ones that you could memorize, while others were ludicrously HUGE, requiring you to waste paper writing down some 48-character password that will become absolutely worthless if you forget to write down that the "O" is actually a "0".

Thank God the "save file" system caught on nice 'n quick after that.

Faxanadu and Metroid both were guilty of this.

That being said, in Faxanadu once you figured out how the passw- uh, I mean "mantra" worked, you could make small changes in it to give yourself more Golds or experience or items.

dkmasterwolf

I've always hated the fact that shooting an enemy in the groin has no effect at all. Shouldn't he at least slow down a bit, if not fall to the ground and roll around in agony?
they HAVE to improve that X_X....i second that ...=)

DragonRift

Space Invader
Here's one I'm sure got on your nerves way back in the day. You're playing a hero who's able to jump amazing heights, mow-down bad guys while clinging to a wall, they can probably do flips while jumping into the air, shoot fireballs, wield magic, run at amazingly high speeds....

... yet they don't know how to fucking swim. Or at least dog-paddle real quick back to the ledge they fell off of. Somehow, water just makes them INSTANTLY DROWN. D:

Or better yet, they don't know how to swim, but only during certain stages. Yet somehow they can swim underwater in another stage, and not need to take a breath for a good five to ten minutes.

A bit contradictory, dontcha think?

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven

ADF

It's 2009, cross platform development is standard practice and there are entire engines like Unreal Engine 3 that are built from the ground up for easy cross platform development.

And yet Square Enix still cannot port games to PC properly...

Hell even Spark Unlimited is better at PC versions of games than Square.

Last edited:

dkmasterwolf

Here's one I'm sure got on your nerves way back in the day. You're playing a hero who's able to jump amazing heights, mow-down bad guys while clinging to a wall, they can probably do flips while jumping into the air, shoot fireballs, wield magic, run at amazingly high speeds....

... yet they don't know how to fucking swim. Or at least dog-paddle real quick back to the ledge they fell off of. Somehow, water just makes them INSTANTLY DROWN. D:

Or better yet, they don't know how to swim, but only during certain stages. Yet somehow they can swim underwater in another stage, and not need to take a breath for a good five to ten minutes.

A bit contradictory, dontcha think?
THAT HAPPEND TO ME IN SO MANY GAMES T_T....

Daniel Kay

Scalie love
One thing annoying me is the constant development towards "the ONLINE game", not online multiplayer or so i mean fully offline games or game modes REQUIERING internet connection... while i have a craptastic connection that wouldnt allow me to do something like this over day making this one of my annoyance points it also gives the risk of denying the one big advantage of PC gameing, mods

Imagine in TES: Oblivion, you dig through the files, find all the unused content they later used for their pay to play contents and decided to simply mod stuff based on it your own... then you start the game up, it connects to the server, does a scan of your game and then refuses to start because you "violated content"... something like this could actually happen, they could have fully functional content in the game already and simply have it LOCKED requiering a later payment and monitor the activation by requiering a signup

So far while the "do your own game" scene is growing a lot already seems to go the "anti mod" way probably becuase the big developers rather have you buy their stuff in micro payments rater than make your own or download for free

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven
So far while the "do your own game" scene is growing a lot already seems to go the "anti mod" way probably becuase the big developers rather have you buy their stuff in micro payments rater than make your own or download for free
While I agree developers are going overboard with anti-mod stuff, there's at least some legitimate reasoning as to why they don't want people screwing around with their games.

Case in point: The Brawl mod to turn Zero Suit Samus into Nude Samus.

Daniel Kay

Scalie love
While I agree developers are going overboard with anti-mod stuff, there's at least some legitimate reasoning as to why they don't want people screwing around with their games.

Case in point: The Brawl mod to turn Zero Suit Samus into Nude Samus.

While i'm no fan of pixle boobs and so i STILL think you should be able to do whatever you like in your OWN copy as long as you dont MAKE anyone else see it (doing this in your own game doesnt hurt anyone else)... living in germany and only gettng VERY censored games i speak out of experience

H

Hydramon

Heres one that pissed me off in Final Fantasy XII:
Boss battles that DRAIN YOUR HP QUICKLY OVER TIME! And I don't just mean damage, IT FUCKING DRAINS TOO!!! GAH!!! >:[

LordWibble

It's 2009, cross platform development is standard practice and there are entire engines like Unreal Engine 3 that are built from the ground up for easy cross platform development.

And yet Square Enix still cannot port games to PC properly...

Hell even Spark Unlimited is better at PC versions of games than Square.

Yeah but Square can't even make a console game work properly using Unreal 3, so you can't really fault them for platform inconsistency ;).

ADF

Yeah but Square can't even make a console game work properly using Unreal 3, so you can't really fault them for platform inconsistency ;).

Their complaint is the engines notes are all written in English and there is a language barrier, they should have sorted that by now. That and poor engine utilization is no excuse for forced 16:9 aspect ratio, no mouse support in the menus and 'possibly' resolution as the only scalable opinion.

This is 2009 not the 1990s when you would expect this from a console port, Square Enix needs to get with the times or be left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.