• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Things in Video Games you Hate

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
-Quantity over quality game design (99% of open world games)
-Obsession with super realistic graphics (is it any surprise all those super realistic games have sleep inducing gameplay?) Not to mention, it's bland and unimaginative.
-Watered down/streamlined mass appeal games that try to cater to everyone. The "there is something for everybody" approach of throwing a huge load of different and unrelated gameplay mechanics in your game just means everybody is mildly satisfied at best.
-Any modern shooter game.
-Games that tout a 'hard mode' but only change the amount of damage you take. Does not address the fact that you'll likely already be familiar with enemy ai patterns.

D

Deleted member 134556

Any game made in modern times that has a number of lives the player has. I also dislike save points where you have to progress through parts of the game to save progress instead of just being able to save either right at the moment, or at least when you quit to go to the main menu.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
Micro-transactions, meaningless or non-existent progression, and artificial difficulty.

(Artificial difficulty being number changes rather than circumstance changes. High difficulty just means things cost slightly more, are less abundant, or the player simply needs more of the same resources than before.)

Primal the Lycanroc

Maxwell the Fennec
I generally hate it when certain games tend to follow the same generic standard, like when they make a plot in a shooter, it's always the same kind of generic enemies, with all the elements directing to overused plots that have been used for years.

And all the remakes of WW2, despite this history having embraced far more wars other than WW2. Barely anything on the cold war, and there is a good deal for the Vietnam War, bt I'd like to see them either go back, or at least post-modern. I haven't seen many things with the Afghan wars and such, so more so, more coverage on more historical battles would be nice.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
"Easy" difficulty that isn't easy. I don't care how much you think we need to bring back "Nintendo Hard." If I want the story without the insane challenge, I paid for the game, let me enjoy it.

Games that turn into jobs. If I feel like I should be owed a paycheck after playing your game for a few hours, you have failed completely as a game designer.

Blatantly cheating AI. As a gameplay engineer, this really pisses me off and I see it all the time. AI cheats; that's a necessity in most games to keep the challenge level where it needs to be. But it shouldn't be obvious. Auto aim is a great example. Animations and aim offsets never perfectly line your AI's gun up with the their intended target. A small amount of auto aim is expected or the AI will miss all the time. But if your AI fires magic bullets that can hit the player 100% of the time no matter how far away they are or what direction the AI is pointing, you have failed as a gameplay engineer.

Unbreakable invulnerably. I see this crap in boss fight designs all the time. If you're going to make an enemy invulnerable to a player's primary attack, fine, but give the player some way to break that invulnerably. Forcing them to wait until there's a tiny window of vulnerability and punishing them with a devastating enemy attack if they miss that window is an inexcusably lazy enemy design that makes the player feel frustrated and powerless, not engaged and powerful.

I could go on and on but those are easily my top pet peeves about video games.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
- Loot boxes. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, this cancer is so obnoxious and feeds into people's addiction to gambling they should be either outright illegal or handled somewhat similar to how Australia did. And children using their family's credit card without permission or understanding of the consequences. Children don't understand the concept of finances and there should be clear guidelines on how to deal with this issue

- Hiding BASIC game mechanics, factions, etc, behind a bloody paid DLC

- False advertisement. Making false promises on what a game will offer, how it will play like, etc, and when the game releases actual gamers get their hands on the game for only to find out it may just be a piece of overpriced horse manure

- Game developers not listening to the community/fans. Want to make good games and actually make your customers happy? Listen to your community and fanbase and ignore the idiots over social media, Twatter in particular

- Catering to a screeching minority over social media who not only looks like they will never buy your game to begin with(let alone own a PC and/or a console) but have problems with playing shit like Mario Party

- I want my women to be beautiful, damn it. I am not interested in playing a landwhale that have muscles bigger than a rhino and looks like a man. I want my men to look like men and my women to look like women

- More games like Dark Souls. I absolutely love Dark Souls as it's not only challenging but provide a hella lot of entertainment. Remnant: From the Ashes was a very cool concept, similar to Dark Souls and set in a more modern world(think around 1960's/1970's), but the developers repeated the same boss mechanics/style too often with mob spam every few attacks and too easy-to-read attack patterns. Bit of a shame, really. After like 3 playthroughs I finally found the Tommygun and boy is it a fun gun xD

- I like my games to be a challenge to be overcome. Want it easy? Go play Candy Crush on the phone or something. Everyone's skills, talents and ability to understand and play games are different. Don't go around changing a game just because you don't like the expected skill/experience level for that game

- For the love of fuck, game reviewers need to be competent at games. Polygon, I am staring at you, and your Doom "review" in particular. You wouldn't want an illiterate person reviewing a book, so why would you want someone who is at best inexperienced with games review a game?

-

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Quantity over quality when it comes to DLCs. A particularly large and well-thought-out DLC is basically like the expansion pack discs of the old days - whereas what I USUALLY see with DLCs these days is maybe a couple extra skins or a weapon or level or two.

The "wait to regen health ONLY" mechanic I see in way too many modern shooters. I prefer a much more ACTIVE experience, whether that's resource management (like the shooters of old, or retraux entries like Amid Evil) or more aggressive play (such as the more recent Doom games, or Ultrakill). Hiding while under fire and not being able to do anything about it ALL THE TIME ruins a gameplay experience.

I have to concur that fake difficulty (and overly tanky enemies in general) is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Believe it or not, I'm not a huge fan of the stereotypical "damsel in distress" kind of game, or at least games that portray women as too blatantly helpless. If a video game uses female characters in prominent roles I'd rather they TRY to be competent. Other than that I don't tend to have issues with female characters - I played a female Shepard in Mass Effect and my preferred voice set in Neverwinter Nights is meant for a female character.

Loot boxes... if someone made them completely an in-game thing with no outside microtransaction required and no mandate to rely on them (I think Digital Devil Saga had something like what I'm describing), I can put up with them. It's when they involve outside cash, and ESPECIALLY when relevant items that make the game tolerable are locked in them with low chances, that I start throwing fits.

And I REALLY want to see more specialized games. And I don't just mean specialized in regards to gameplay (the Katamari games) or difficulty (such as Dark Souls). Explore ALL aspects of specialization. And if you're going to have a game where a character has a disability or obscure condition, TAKE IT SERIOUSLY (I'm looking at you, "The Quiet Man").

I'll start there, we'll see if I come up with more.

Games that turn into jobs. If I feel like I should be owed a paycheck after playing your game for a few hours, you have failed completely as a game designer.

.....I think I'm going to have to actually ask for an example, as when I heard "game" and "job" together my mind immediately went to the RPG "Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale", and I'm pretty damn sure that's NOT what you were going for.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
.....I think I'm going to have to actually ask for an example, as when I heard "game" and "job" together my mind immediately went to the RPG "Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale", and I'm pretty damn sure that's NOT what you were going for.
Clash of Clans, specifically. I had fun with it at first but every update they added after clan wars just made the game less like something that I want to do and more like something that I have to do. I eventually said fuck this and left and I've been happier since.

That's a trap I see a lot of online team based games get into. If I have to log into a game to play it every day to help my team keep chasing a moving target rather than logging on because I genuinely enjoy the game, that's not a game. That's a job and I want my damned paycheck.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Clash of Clans, specifically. I had fun with it at first but every update they added after clan wars just made the game less like something that I want to do and more like something that I have to do. I eventually said fuck this and left and I've been happier since.

That's a trap I see a lot of online team based games get into. If I have to log into a game to play it every day to help my team keep chasing a moving target rather than logging on because I genuinely enjoy the game, that's not a game. That's a job and I want my damned paycheck.
Ah yes, I've seen quite a few mobile games with this approach. Even at least one idle game did this kind of thing.

.....y'know what, I'm going to add "daily login rewards" to the list in general, and "login streaks" specifically, as things I've grown to hate. ESPECIALLY if you're hiding rare weapons behind a certain number of days logged in (Warframe did this with at least one of their guns, and it wasn't even that good of a weapon). I put up with way too much of it during my MMO days and I DEFINITELY don't have the patience for it now that I have a job - or on many days, the leftover mental will to remember. I'd like to be able to pick up a game, play it a bit, and put it down without pressure.

Primal the Lycanroc

Maxwell the Fennec
Quantity over quality when it comes to DLCs. A particularly large and well-thought-out DLC is basically like the expansion pack discs of the old days - whereas what I USUALLY see with DLCs these days is maybe a couple extra skins or a weapon or level or two.

The "wait to regen health ONLY" mechanic I see in way too many modern shooters. I prefer a much more ACTIVE experience, whether that's resource management (like the shooters of old, or retraux entries like Amid Evil) or more aggressive play (such as the more recent Doom games, or Ultrakill). Hiding while under fire and not being able to do anything about it ALL THE TIME ruins a gameplay experience.

I have to concur that fake difficulty (and overly tanky enemies in general) is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Believe it or not, I'm not a huge fan of the stereotypical "damsel in distress" kind of game, or at least games that portray women as too blatantly helpless. If a video game uses female characters in prominent roles I'd rather they TRY to be competent. Other than that I don't tend to have issues with female characters - I played a female Shepard in Mass Effect and my preferred voice set in Neverwinter Nights is meant for a female character.

Loot boxes... if someone made them completely an in-game thing with no outside microtransaction required and no mandate to rely on them (I think Digital Devil Saga had something like what I'm describing), I can put up with them. It's when they involve outside cash, and ESPECIALLY when relevant items that make the game tolerable are locked in them with low chances, that I start throwing fits.

And I REALLY want to see more specialized games. And I don't just mean specialized in regards to gameplay (the Katamari games) or difficulty (such as Dark Souls). Explore ALL aspects of specialization. And if you're going to have a game where a character has a disability or obscure condition, TAKE IT SERIOUSLY (I'm looking at you, "The Quiet Man").

I'll start there, we'll see if I come up with more.

Agreed 100% with that one!

D

Deleted member 134556

Having a small inventory size available when you need perhaps double the amount of spaces to actually enjoy playing the game because you want to carry all the items you love without having to let go of any.

Лорик

ddb7285590a5f2d72f2e20469e6f8f41_i-13.jpg

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
The AI gets cheats because it's basically stupid without them. Oh sure, those three mammoth tanks are just completely unable to see my stealth tank, but they're just creeping right towards them in hold fire position on the top of the map away from the battlefield.