• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Things in Video Games you Hate

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I really hate inventory restrictions, especially in survival-type games.

The stupid system of a grid with objects occupying a set of dimensions within it as with Resident Evil or Prey (2017). It's cumbersome and pointless and illogical.

This wrench occupies the same volume as dozens bottles of wine? Or 80 shotgun shells? Better yet, one cartridge takes up the space of the full stack even if I have a full stack minus one of a different type of ammo.

Games like Project Zomboid or CDDA are much better for this in my opinion, factoring in the weight and/or volume of an individual object respectively.

TemetNosce88

Prepare for the collapse
"Random probability" that isn't random at all. Games like Fireaxis' XCOM, XCOM 2, and Rimworld are very heavily guilty of this.
In fairness, old-school X-Com was guilty of that, too, except it was actual randomness and save-scumming worked.

That was part of the charm, though, imo. We always called it X-Com Aim.
There's an alien in that doorway!
[Soldier unloads at the alien, hits every inch of the doorframe and never grazes the alien]
[Soldier dies immediately next turn]

Erix

>‿‿◕
I hate when I hear news about something that’s broken in an online RPG I like to play, and there’s no fixes to it for a long time.

There’s this very broken attack in a game I love, and it’s just ruining PvP for one of my favorite YouTubers, and I can see why it’s so broken. Been up for over a year now, and people have complained about it to admins. Still no fix though T_T

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
Banned
characters that are part of some sort of minority because of plot related circumstances because god forbid a game could expose real corruption.

Don't know if it was mentioned already but... Rubberband AI in racing and rally games.

It's the cheapest, most annoying and least satisfying way to have opponents. I understand why it exists and how it's an easy way to give people of various skills and abilities a challenge, but it was annoying over 10 years ago and it's still as annoying now. I know the NFS games for example are as guilty as charged and I just cannot enjoy those games anymore. This is not even a thing like enemies getting harder and better gear and level up with you to keep the difficulty in the game(Oblivion or Skyrim for example). No we are talking about extreme handicaps and unrealistic cheat like benefits just because they are just so much worse than a good player and to compensate they can drive faster and corner faster than what would be realistically possible in the game normally.

I get more satisfaction out of dominating braindead AI due to my own personal abilities rather than seeing well executed racing get made fun of, just because developers designed the AI to drive better and eventually catch up no matter what. Drive like a handicapped sausage throughout majority of the race and take the few last turns ok just to end up winning. Or drive like a beast just to make some small mistakes in the end and have the AI pass you. Doesn't matter if you were 20 Seconds up on your previous run. It's garbage and I hate it. Filthy casual crap.

When the setting is just just reskinned LotR. Also when a new entry axes stuff from previous ones for seemingly no reason.

BassFoxBoog

Nicknamed E by Ssaannttoo
Mental cameras that don't do as they're funking told
And ones that assume I'm a perv
I mean I am but konami shouldn't know me that well

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
Banned
if there's a furry in a game there's like a 70-80% chance it's a canine.

but in japan it's a rabbit instead.

Sappho

Canis Centaurus
Invisible walls...

As in I could easily jump this gap, but can't cuz the developers got lazy with building hitboxes

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
Time limits
Easily passable objects that somehow block you from different areas with invisible wall magic
Unskippable cutscenes
AI rubberbanding in racing games, where they somehow go faster than their max speed to catch up or pass you (mariokart...)
Mobile games where some kind of menu is where the thumbstick is and you keep accidentally opening it
DLC's of anything that is supposed to be in the game to begin with

Sappho

Canis Centaurus
Non armor saving and opponent.

Bad guy: me big, me strong,me have bucket on head

My sniper: *perfect headshot*

*bucket pops off, no damage done and now I don't get a damage multiplier*

ALL BECAUSE OF A LITERAL BUCKET!

Erix

>‿‿◕
Hate to see a toxic playerbase sometimes. Was just thinking earlier today about a memory I had in a game a good few years back. Was playing with a cousin and a friend of his against these other players in a game, they were top leaderboard players too, we weren't, and they decided to cheat. They got a very BIG unfair advantage that should've honestly been an easy win for them, but somehow even though they were leaderboard players, they lost. Honestly was so disappointing to see, like you were on the leaderboard for what? You don't deserve to be on there after that pathetic display of bad sportsmanship. It was nice to have put them in their place after they cheated, but to top it all off, they had the audacity to call us out for doing some cheesy trick near the end of the game and called us bad. Sometimes cheaters double as sore losers which is sad. All in the past now, but sometimes I like to think back on that memory, and how it felt so good to crush people so unworthy of a leaderboard title.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
When a series changes developers and loses its "feel".

Paws the Gryphon

*Technically* an Opinicus
-Practically all Battle Royale genre games.

-Toxic Masculinity in multiplayer games. "*teabags* lol git good scrub u got pwnt here have some *censored*"

-Pay-to-win

-Pay-to-look-good when there's not a (not TOO) grindy alternative.

-Pay-to-look-good in games where you are usually too busy to get a second to stop and look at anyone else anyways.

-Crafting tiers (build pick A to harvest element B, use element B to make pick to harvest element C, use element C to make pick to harvest element D, use element D to make pick to harvest element E, use element E to make pick to harvest element F, use element F to make pick to harvest element G, eat element G to commit seppuku because this is soooo stoooooopid)

-Sequels that remove gameplay that made the originals good. (Dungeon Siege II, I'm looking at you!)

-Developers of older games that still exist that don't ever bother to update their old games for compatibility on newer computers. (I know Infogrames is gone but I'd kill to be able to play Independence War I and II again)

-Inability to explore a game world. (aka small snippets of worlds with a preset path you can't really deviate from)

-Developers that call it quits during an early access period and leave their potentially-paid-money-to-them customers hanging.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

things i hate..

humans in the games are always right even when they're clearly not.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
Repetitive, unskippable dialogue. Can be a cutscene the player sees multiple times or just a small set of overused lines the same character spouts constantly.

When the plot takes away all the player's stuff and never gives it back. Save up and scrounge hundreds of rounds for your favourite gun or whatever? Boom, too bad it's all gone now. Time to start looking for more now!

Sappho

Canis Centaurus
Unfinished stories.

We never got a Maximo 3

Or a splatterhouse 2.

If you're confused, just ask

Debra Clark

the weird compulsion to have every relevant feral character be ridden at some point.