• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Things in Video Games you Hate

Adrian Gordon

when they have a mechanic where you can kill the local wildlife for absolutely no reason.
i must state that i do not mean like in farcry where you get upgrades from them.
there's just a bunch of random games where they are just there in the environment for you to kill for fun and i hate that.

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
Banned
when they have a mechanic where you can kill the local wildlife for absolutely no reason.
i must state that i do not mean like in farcry where you get upgrades from them.
there's just a bunch of random games where they are just there in the environment for you to kill for fun and i hate that.
oh boy you are certainly not alone in that regard.

i know a few games that have had severe backlashes because of it.

robots either being the villains or tools for some other race rather than just being a free people.
games where you liberate the robots or convert them to good also don't count.
can't we just say that robots will probably do a better job running this planet than us.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Silent Hill's camera angles and shitty controls.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
Waist-high objects preventing the player from moving, short ledges they player can't climb in game where the player's character can climb, platforming sections in a game that is not a platformer.

Give the player a world they can move around in. If he's not supposed to jump on boxes and hop short fences, don't put them in the environment.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
oh boy you are certainly not alone in that regard.

i know a few games that have had severe backlashes because of it.

Really? Then why do games like that still keep getting made?

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
In shadows of war your only option is to essentially mind rape to recruit orcs into your army. Characters around you react appropriately, because no matter how serious a threat the concept is still terrible, but the game doesn't let you choose, which kills a lot of potential it had.

Maybe there are other ways, but it hasn't presented itself yet.

I was hoping that there would be more options, like having someone show up and save me during a last chance sequence, after rescuing them from execution. Nope. The only one that rescued me was that random human in the first intro chapter.

Even if I could earn their respect by fighting the honest fight would have been cool (context, they can be ressurected later in the story).

Recruit = You WILL serve the bright Lord (me)
Shame = humiliate them with the same mind magic, reduce their levels, making it easier to recruit them. The consequence is they can lose their mind and be reduced to a fighter that communicates through screams.
Kill= you kill them, but they'll either cheat death/ be resurrected and come back to haunt you at any inconvenient time.

The game still has a pleasant amount of depth despite this, but I don't like that it's essentially the only route.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Thermian arguments. You designed the game from the ground up. You don't get to scrap any ownership of the themes and choices put in the game just because your learned afterwards "Wait, some people disagree with this?" I make an exception for things like Spec Ops as apparently there was a plan to have the game branch out from the infamous WP scene, but it had to be cut some ways into development because of obvious time constraints (at which point it fully would have, 110%, been "This is your fault").

Also I'd have to say an inability to stick to themes can be frustrating at times. Either overarching / moralistic ones, or even just mechanical ones. As much as I've gushed about Warframe here and elsewhere before, the game is pretty bad at consistently portraying... practically everything. On one hand you're a space ninja of an old ruined Empire who was - in a small team of four - capable of taking down entire military detachments and gunship support in an open confrontation (open confrontations that, implicitly, are your worst field of combat). You can't use one of your game mode's weapons in ships or on the ground (until you finish a quest) because the weapons are simply too destructive to use in such environs, and it's easy to believe because you're later on using them to take down gunships and fighter craft. To say nothing of your supernatural powers that let you do stuff like send bullets back to sender, punch people's souls out hard enough to use them as projectiles, etcetera.

On the other, most of the bosses have invulnerability cycles a mile long. And even more are outright immune to all your supernatural Warframe abilities. Oh, and said invulnerability cycles include against your anti-gunship weaponry. Also you're supposed to be an example of how horrible the ruined Empire treated its inhabitants, but you literally behave just the same the second you pop out of cryo and nobody really does anything about it but infer that you're choosing to be the walking war crime by choice now instead of force (as though that somehow makes it better).

oappo

I'd say microtransactions, but I guess that's sort of a given in this day and age.

Deconstructions and any other things which try to make a series "gritty" and """"realistic."""" I especially hate when developers talk about how they want to explore the """real"""
issues. First, you can talk about those things without changing the tone of the story or the visuals. Second, you don't need to talk about those things at all in games to begin with (It's not something fans run around asking for). Third, make a new damn series if it's so important to you.
Don't get me wrong, these types of games can be good, they're not inherently bad. But it's unacceptable when they throw out the old stuff to do so.

The push for ultrarealistic graphics.I get it, its basically inspired by the idea of "it'd be cool if this was real." But stylistic graphics are also good and more unique. Ultrarealism just looks bland most of the time. Especially when the game is dominated by brown, green and grey or the colour is dulled down on top of the realism(i.e., most modern shooters).

Not games itself, but I hate how people tag things on steam. It's extremely loose. You won't ever see a multiplayer shooter with the sports tag, but you can bet you'll see some with stuff like story-rich or atmospheric. Even if the story is weaker than a used tissue paper.

Vertical progression in MMOs. Vertical progression is a staple of the genre, but people fixate on it too much. People say an activity has no meaning if you can't be rewarded from it. And they deserve any advantage afforded to them from it, even if it directly clashes against the design of something else (like PvP...ya know, where the most skilled player is supposed to win). The gear treadmill can get tiresome. Especially when devs start replacing cool things with something else (hello, modern WoW)

Mobile games that try to double dip into the PC market. Chances are your game is shallow as hell compared to stuff specifically designed (and not adapted) for PC. Don't want to see that filler on the steam page.

Roguelikes. I don't see the fun in losing all your progress then doing the same things over and over and over again for like 20 hours until you finally beat it. Roguelites are better, but still. They also don't seem to have a ton of content either.

Last edited:

ben909

vaporeon with Axolotl gill array as neck fin
ultra graphics sort of just increase file size

i have actually had a few games on steam that were mobile games at first but i ended up likeing, but one seemed like it was ment for a computer in the first part

its worse for me when computer full system games and/or serries get striped down to nothing before being filled with microtransactions and put released for mobile, some games just cannot be the same

ben909

"Hey we just released this new game! Now wait two more months for it to be patched!"
that to...

at least call it eraly access if you know there are that many bugs

ben909

I would push the date back until everyone knows it's fully ready.
they should, but the programers are not who make the choices, and unless they really lose money they are not going to change their practices

oappo

i have actually had a few games on steam that were mobile games at first but i ended up likeing, but one seemed like it was ment for a computer in the first part
Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong genres then. My experience has been pretty bad though I have no problem with games where mobile is secondary.

LynxSoldier

-Hardcore games (especially Souls-likes games): When games are too hard, i get frustrated and dont have fun.

-False Bad/Good guy choice: i really dislike when a games give you the choice to play good guy or bad guy, but the good guy gameplay is extremely hard or poorly designed

sushy

Gundam Meister
-Hardcore games (especially Souls-likes games): When games are too hard, i get frustrated and dont have fun.

-False Bad/Good guy choice: i really dislike when a games give you the choice to play good guy or bad guy, but the good guy gameplay is extremely hard or poorly designed
Same, I dislike it too when it is too hard. I would prefer if I can skip things if I really cannot complete a level. I quitted playing Okami Den for now because there is this end boss that I just can't defeat! (not even with a walkthrough.... I am not good at certain games haha)

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
Weapons and abilities being stronger in cutscenes than in gameplay. I love the Metroid Prime games, but one thing that annoys me is that Samus can apparently jump much higher in cutscenes than in actual gameplay. If you could pull off some of those jumps in the actual game you could bypass a number of obstacles without getting Space Jump or Spider Ball.

Actions in side quests the should affect the main story line, but don't. Wouldn't killing the emperor of Tamriel have a pretty big effect on the civil war?