• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Things that must be really hard for anthros

JesterKatz

But, surely you jest.
Ah it'll be fine. While we're waiting on Simo, lets make you fluffly!
o(^∀^*)o

JesterKatz

But, surely you jest.
Well that was quick!

໒( ” ͠° ʖ̫ °͠ ” )७ By golly, when I ask for a fluffed otter, I'm not disappointed!

AustinB

Professional loser
If Anthros ever existed along side Humans, Humans would try to enslave or extinct or fight Anthros till they themselves went extinct. Humans are panicky psychotic primates that are nearly incapable of accepting that kind of difference. The very small numbers of Human Beings would be fine with it Im sure, but sadly, Human Beings are vastly outnumbered by Humans. THAT would be THE problem.
Depends if they just poofed into existence. There would be many different groups/organizations with wildy different moral and ethnic values on the issue. In first world countries like the U.S.A, Australia, Japan etc. I'm pretty sure they'd be given equal rights and would be treated normally. Sure, there would be discrimination at first, and it might never truly go away, but hey. There's always going to be assholes. Humans most likely wouldn't go to war with them in modern times, as long as they pose no threat. In places like Africa and the Middle East, I can definitely see Anthros being publicly executed, assaulted, harassed, and even killed. In some shitholes where slavery is still being practiced today, Anthros would definitely be encaptured. It would take some years for the Anthro/Human relationship to fully get along, but knowing that they have the same level of intelligence as us, can feel the same emotions as us, and basically *are* us (just wearing a fancy fur coat), they wouldn't be immediately killed off or enslaved. We're in 2017. Not 1517. Also, your whole "Humans are panicky psychotic primates" argument is wrong. There have been many great people that have existed and changed the world in many positive ways. Yes, there's also been some evil people, but saying we're all out to kill each other like we still rely on primal instincts is just stupid. We're not all "panicky psychotic primates". If we actually evolved along side Anthros, I'm 99% certain they would be treated like any other normal person. In history, yeah, there'd be some fights between us. Humans killing Anthros for stupid reasons, and Anthros killing Humans for stupid reasons. Oh, and if Anthros became sentient intelligent beings rather than Humans, they would also be racist/cruel/vile to other Anthros themselves. They would kill each other, enslave each other, start wars with each other, discriminate each other etc. just like we've done. It's all in our nature, and Anthros aren't an acception. They'd think the same way as us, thus leading to the same types of discrimination. Anthros may seem all cute and fuzzy, but they're cold killers just like us deep down. >:3

And I assure you, if all of a sudden Humans popped up in a world filled with Anthros, we'd be discriminated/assaulted/enslaved (in third world countries)/harassed as well.

Cloudyhue

Certified Fuzzbutt
I think about how my poor shark fursona can't lay on her back or sit back in a chair or couch comfortably because of her dorsal fin. Must be fun.

Also, how does she get pants on with that giant tail, or put a shirt on over her horns and wings?

E

ellaerna

Clothing is really the biggest bane of furry existence.
Guess we'd all just be nudists.

quoting_mungo

Hey, kiddos, this ain't the roleplaying section. Please don't derail the thread with roleplaying.

I'm not convinced humans would automatically be at the top of the figurative sapient food chain, to be honest. Unless humans were in significant majority, anthros would, on the whole, be vastly better equipped with natural weaponry and armor than we are - we're pretty flimsy compared to most animals. As a random example, ferrets have skin like freaking shoe leather. Maybe not enough to stop a bullet, but may actually help deflect a knife.

E

ellaerna

The whole "how would humans interact with anthros" really depends on how the meeting happened. Are the anthros just popping into current day existence, right out of the blue? Cause, then, yeah, humans might be a bit spooked. And if so, are the anthros just as well equipped as we are? Better? If so, they'd have the upper hand in any kerfuffles that happened due to their sudden appearance. But if they weren't on the same tech level, perhaps with no clothes or weapons other than their natural teeth and claws, yeah, we'd annihilate them. It would take a minute, but we'd do it.

Now, if we evolved together, that's a different story. As mungo pointed out, animal people are a lot better suited for survival than human people. We're just so darn squishy and we became dominant because of our intelligence. If anthros have both our level of intelligence and superior physical attributes, well... we're boned. Or boned depending on how the anthros choose to see us. Will we be their food source? A rival that must be stomped out? A rival that can coexist with just a lot of side eye? Will we form symbiotic or cooperative relationships with these creatures to ensure our safety and survival? Could we use anthro politics (eg natural predators vs prey) to keep anthros as a whole infighting long enough for us to take the upper hand?

Honestly, there's just a lot of variables.

F

FluffyShutterbug

It must be hard to make shoes in the furry world, since not only are there different foot sizes, there's plantigrade and digitigrade foot stances to deal with too.

JesterKatz

But, surely you jest.
Hey, kiddos, this ain't the roleplaying section. Please don't derail the thread with roleplaying.

I take full responsibility for the derailing.

...but I blame James for egging me on.

(´;ω;`) I just wanted a fluffed otter...

I'm not convinced humans would automatically be at the top of the figurative sapient food chain, to be honest. Unless humans were in significant majority, anthros would, on the whole, be vastly better equipped with natural weaponry and armor than we are - we're pretty flimsy compared to most animals. As a random example, ferrets have skin like freaking shoe leather. Maybe not enough to stop a bullet, but may actually help deflect a knife.

True, but if you want to consider one advantage humans would have over anthros - if there must be one - it's that humans have high ingenuity, and are very good at adapting quickly. A knife might not affect a ferret morph very much, but eventually someone will have a light bulb, and will wield hammers instead. Of course that's assuming that'll be more effective. If not, we'll try another weapon then.

But it's not just about weapons and armor, it's tactics as well. Most anthros would probably have more sensitive sensese, like the sense of smell, so humans could cover themselves with a strong, offensive odor that gives little to no effect towards humans (at least the ones who're using the odor), but most anthros would probably be sick to their stomachs of, literally. Humans may have some disadvantages against anthros, but anthros have their own weaknesses as well.

But I don't believe there will be just one species at the top of the food chain, unless humans and anthros caused genocide against each other until there was one. But hopefully they'll figure out that there doesn't need to be just one, and will achieve, reluctantly, some semblance of peace.

Xaroin

THE ONE THE ONLY
I believe what Xaorin meant was "interspecies relationships". It's definitely something that can be a good plot point in stories featuring anthro characters.
yah that's what I meant, because hybrids technically wouldn't exist that would be a reproductive issue, and even if hybrids did exist there would be such a fucked up gene pool for them

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
us anthro Skunks would rule the world!

This would be good for us but perhaps trying for others : )

AustinB

Professional loser
I take full responsibility for the derailing.

...but I blame James for egging me on.

(´;ω;`) I just wanted a fluffed otter...

True, but if you want to consider one advantage humans would have over anthros - if there must be one - it's that humans have high ingenuity, and are very good at adapting quickly. A knife might not affect a ferret morph very much, but eventually someone will have a light bulb, and will wield hammers instead. Of course that's assuming that'll be more effective. If not, we'll try another weapon then.

But it's not just about weapons and armor, it's tactics as well. Most anthros would probably have more sensitive sensese, like the sense of smell, so humans could cover themselves with a strong, offensive odor that gives little to no effect towards humans (at least the ones who're using the odor), but most anthros would probably be sick to their stomachs of, literally. Humans may have some disadvantages against anthros, but anthros have their own weaknesses as well.

But I don't believe there will be just one species at the top of the food chain, unless humans and anthros caused genocide against each other until there was one. But hopefully they'll figure out that there doesn't need to be just one, and will achieve, reluctantly, some semblance of peace.
To add on to this, in a realistic scenario (or at least, as realistic as this weird/almost completely impossible scenario would be), wouldn't let's say; Rabbits only stand like 2 feet tall? We could easily kill off all the smaller animals no biggie. Like Foxes, Birds, Rabbits, Raccoons etc. The only true animals that would pose a threat are the predators that solely thrive based on strength. Like Lions, Tigers, Leopards (any big cat for that matter) Bears etc. We'd definitely have a good fight with them. If the small animals and large animals teamed up, it would definitely slim our chances. Yeah, it would be easy to kill the small animals, but they would be able to get into very small/hard to reach areas we wouldn't be able too, and they'd be able to stealthy kill people like that. They could also give away our positions or what we were doing if they were small enough. Like mice. They'd be able to camoflauge themselves and hide in very small and hard to spot areas, giving them the advantage of scoping us out. If all anthros were about the same size as us, then yeah, we'd be pretty fucked. Especially if they started using our tactics and our weapons against us. We would probably end up being either:
A. Killed off
B. Enslaved
C. Set up in human meat factories (like how we do for our meat)

Or all of those minus A. It's almost like revenge for what we did to them. Sweet, sticky, sweaty, furry revenge.

yah that's what I meant, because hybrids technically wouldn't exist that would be a reproductive issue, and even if hybrids did exist there would be such a fucked up gene pool for them
There are some possible hybrids (ligers and mules are the first that come to mind) but its likely they would be sterile. It has to do with the difference in their number of chromosomes. So while similar species could have hybrid offspring, the hybrid probably wouldn't be able to have kids.

But anthros might be able to achieve some variation within their own species. The same way all dogs are the same species but can vary in shape/size/color.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Here's one that's yet to be addressed here: human-like speech. Unless you can somehow parrot your way through mimicking the vocalizations made by the human majority, you're not going to have an easy time getting your point across verbally.

JamesOtters

A small, cute, but helpless otter.
I've always wondered how anthros kiss.
Ummmmmmmmm.....

I imagine it would either involve licking, a combination of a nose-boop/lip-plant, or one of the individuals turning their head sidways so that the nose doesnt get in the way. Hmmmm
:rolleyes:
Heh! Mah nose is flat!
Not that it would matter to me, I has no lover....

Seriously though, if they were the same species it would be a bit easier, IDK, though...
Food for thought.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
I've always wondered how anthros kiss.
I imagine it's a lot more like licking.
I imagine it would either involve licking, a combination of a nose-boop/lip-plant, or one of the individuals turning their head sidways so that the nose doesnt get in the way. Hmmmm
:rolleyes:
How is nuzzling not mentioned here?

itc___a_human_moment_by_chapteraquila92.jpg

[Artwork courtesy of yours truly]