• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Things That You Hate v3.0

ben909

vaporeon character != mushroom characters

Connor J. Coyote

Hope you can figure out how to get the micro-plastics out of our bloodstreams. I remember when you could get milk in glass bottles at the store, 32oz glass bottles of soda and one gallon glass jugs of apple cider. Glass, not plastic. Never heard of scinetists finding micro-glass in our bloodstream. Plastics will be the downfall of the human race because it's cheaper to make new plastic than to recycle plastic back into clean plastic. Plastic pollution will be the thing that kills this planet.
You're totally right about the overwhelming issue of plastic pollution as well- another immense challenge.
Hmm.... there were some people on here discussing a topic around "microplastics" (last week)..... but - I'm unable to find it anywhere on here now.... o_O. (I did a simple search today and I came up with nothing).

If someone who reads this could point me in the right direction (as to where this topic is located) - I'd appreciate it.... as there were some things on the topic there, that I wanted to add (which I'm unable to do now, as I can't find it).

@Fallowfox @Frank Gulotta I believe you two (correct me if I'm wrong) we're some of the users discussing it..... @Flamingo - or is this a closed discussion now that's off limits?...... any thoughts from you all?
Okay....... now I found it..... (the whole micro-plastics thing).
@Kellan Meig'h @Fallowfox @Baron Tredegar
---------------------------------
Anyways..... here's my spiel on it - if you will..... in (what I think is) a sort of "contrary opinion" to the overall consensus I'm hearing on this thread.

So I'll chime in if I may, and give a few opinions of my own, about the whole micro-plastics thing.

I honestly don't see any correlation.... (at least yet anyway) - as far as plastics being harmful to human health in any serious way. Whilst it's certainly not healthy for us to have too much of it in our world, and indeed, in our bodies (I agree with most people there).... it needs to be said however, that: the science is currently somewhat "flimsy" at best - as to whether it actually causes any detrimental health effects onto the human body..... and so frankly - it remains to be seen if this is really an "a-ha" kinda moment, as far as it being a game-changing medical discovery.

Or, whether it's just another environmental phenomenon that humans on the Earth have to deal with and have grown accustomed to.

And..... since I've read the topic being discussed on this thread (the other day), I've "dug in" and did a little research myself on it; and.... the overwhelming consensus I've encountered (by everything I've read so far) is that it's not really proven or disproven yet - as far as it being a negative factor onto human health.

Frankly, there's plastic items........ just about everywhere, right? * In keyboards, telephones, laptops, coffee cups, eyeglasses, remote controls, toys, flash drives, take out serving containers, and so on.

And we've...... been using plastic items in our society since World War II. And in the past seventy-plus years we've been using these items - there has *yet* to be any massive health-related illnesses that we can directly attribute to the usage of these products..... so far as I can find out.

And so - I don't think people should necessarily "sound the alarm bells" so loudly, like some people (such as those on here are doing)...... without any real adequate evidence in hand that backs up these "sky is falling" types of claims..... in which some scientific and environmental groups insist is a pressing issue for us to address right away.

More research is clearly needed, but...... until such evidence exists that proves that these are indeed as detrimental to our health (as some are claiming it is) I think there's many of us - including myself that'll take some of these claims with a grain of salt.
------------------
Just imagine...... if plastics was completely eliminated from the World (like some of these environmental groups are demanding that we do) and in turn, the sheer cost to produce these items (like the examples above) that we've all grown accustomed to and need in our society - *skyrockets*.

We consumers (both rich and poor alike) will all be paying much more at that point. And thus - such an enormous economic impact better be done very meticulously and very carefully - and not in a knee jerk fashion like some of these special interest groups immediately want.
------------------
So there..... (there's my take on it). Hopefully, it'll give some out there some re-assurances, that using a plastic fork at dinner tonight isn't going to kill you....... (and it won't - even if you did so, every day for the rest of your life). We'll all be fine. ☺

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I am aware that I have been quoted with questions about microplastic pollution a few times.
The user doing this is on my ignore list, but they continue to address me, so I am going to offer a very short response.

I don't believe I have made any specific claims about harm microplastics could cause, so I am a bit surprised to see somebody quoting me to passionately argue that they are innocuous.
I will point out that examples of large-scaled health problems associated with plastic pollution include 'PCB' pollution, within which microplastics plays a major role because of their long residence time and wide dispersal in the environment.
The next family of chemical additives frequently found in plastics that you are going to begin hearing more about in the news are 'PFAS'.

These two families of chemicals are part of the reason for a widespread increase in human infertility.

Baron Tredegar

Master of Forgotten Lore
I have no clue how I got called into this debate. I just think we need to change as much plastic items over to paper or biodegradable materials.

Connor J. Coyote

I am aware that I have been quoted with questions about microplastic pollution a few times.
The user doing this is on my ignore list, but they continue to address me, so I am going to offer a very short response.

I don't believe I have made any specific claims about harm microplastics could cause, so I am a bit surprised to see somebody quoting me to passionately argue that they are innocuous.
I will point out that examples of large-scaled health problems associated with plastic pollution include 'PCB' pollution, within which microplastics plays a major role because of their long residence time and wide dispersal in the environment.
The next family of chemical additives frequently found in plastics that you are going to begin hearing more about in the news are 'PFAS'.

These two families of chemicals are part of the reason for a widespread increase in human infertility.
@Fallowfox Fallow, this is the second time you've said this to me...... (if I recall right) that I'm on your "ignore list".

And - I'm a bit surprised that a long term user (such as yourself) doesn't know how to use the block feature by now. You need to actually *hit* the ignore button..... so that the other user is aware of your block.

Simply saying that someone is "blocked" doesn't make them so, buttercup..... you need to actually go through the process - like I told this other lady over here:
Well, - I'd certinaly be glad to "respect the block" if there actually was one on there (on my profile)..... but - as of today that I checked - I wasn't blocked with you, specifically... and so, your posting was fair game (and within the forum rules on here) at the time.

* As a future tip though: (when you toggle your cursor over my username there's a little button called "ignore" that appears within that little square that pops up, and you can hit though)... and at that point I'll be invisible to you going forward..... (if you wish to utilize this)..... okay?
.... until then - other users (people like myself) won't be aware of your "block" - and we will still inadvertently reply to your postings on here.

► You're certainly free to hit that button though if you wish..... frankly, I don't feel I have any reason to on my end, at this point.

And if you still decide not to do so then your postings can still *technically* be politely replied to (as it's not a rule violation) for me to do so..... and at that point, you've got no right (I think) to complain that you're still getting certain responses on threads that you don't want to see.

And furthermore, as I also said at one point (to another user):
But in any case - if you wanted me to respect the block, then..... why did you choose to interact with me on this thread then, to begin with?
Your response to my posting here:

...... shouldn't have happened in the first place then.... right? ☺ Why didn't you just ignore it and move on at that point then?

But.... as always with me on here:
I welcome interactions though, and thus - my responses to you were based on forum etiquette (of give and take amongst peers on threads, and the interactions that result in that dynamic) and my thoughts were based on my opinions.
And so..... until you go through the actual process (of hitting the button), then - I'm unaware of your ignore or block, and your postings are still not a violation for me to reply to.

☺ Thank you. ☺
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no clue how I got called into this debate. I just think we need to change as much plastic items over to paper or biodegradable materials.
Umm hmm... well.... I wanted to give a sort of "counter-opinion" on the topic because I wasn't hearing it anywhere else on here...... and so - I figured I'd put it out there - as there's many of us that feel this way. ☺

And so, I mentioned you (like those other users) because you sort of addressed the topic.... and I figured you may be interested in reading on it.
--------------------------------
In any case..... plastics isn't going to kill anyone..... and, that's the bottom line of my writings above - for whatever it's worth to people. ☺
---------------------------------

Fallowfox

unknown.png

Please stop repeatedly trying to contact me.

Yakamaru

Woof? Woof
Just report. They don't want to believe the 2019 update was real. I have already explained this to them and they still don't take no for an answer.
One issue with how this new "ignore" function works is that you can't see their posts but they can see yours. If you had some sort of tag indicating you were ignored it'd be useful, or revert to the previous actual block function where neither would see each other's posts.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
One issue with how this new "ignore" function works is that you can't see their posts but they can see yours. If you had some sort of tag indicating you were ignored it'd be useful, or revert to the previous actual block function where neither would see each other's posts.

I totally agree. Some people seem to get a heads up that they're blocked but I don't seem to be one of those lucky few. XD every one ive ignored reaches out to me at some point. Xenforo really took ten steps backwards for thinking this was a good idea.

The difference here though is they've been made aware of it numerous times, and have even had their posts removed in the past. They also participated in the discussion back in 2019 when this change took place so there's really no excuse imo.

Yakamaru

Woof? Woof
I totally agree. Some people seem to get a heads up that they're blocked but I don't seem to be one of those lucky few. XD every one ive ignored reaches out to me at some point. Xenforo really took ten steps backwards for thinking this was a good idea.

The difference here though is they've been made aware of it numerous times, and have even had their posts removed in the past. They also participated in the discussion back in 2019 when this change took place so there's really no excuse imo.
Some people might complain but you at least have a literal "heads up" by the fact that the block is going both ways and both know it. With this ignore thing you don't even get a heads up unless you're explicitly told which is rather weird to me. Kind of comes off as if they want to moderate less IMO.

unknown.png

Please stop repeatedly trying to contact me.
Hmm. Am I on this list? If I am then I am going to stop interacting with you if you don't mind.

Fallowfox

Hmm. Am I on this list? If I am then I am going to stop interacting with you if you don't mind.

No; I think there's only 2 or 3 users on there who post regularly. (About 80% of my ignore list is actually banned spam bots. I blacked out names for users who are not banned but most of those are accounts with only a single post linking to a company website).
The active users on my list all regularly talk about me so I am wondering whether it's an effective feature anyway! ;}

Anyway, I posted this screenshot just because I realise that, since the forum doesn't tell you, the user in question might not realise and I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yakamaru

Woof? Woof
No; I think there's only 2 or 3 users on there who post regularly. (About 80% of my ignore list is actually banned spam bots. I blacked out names for users who are not banned but most of those are accounts with only a single post linking to a company website).
The active users on my list all regularly talk about me so I am wondering whether it's an effective feature anyway! ;}
Appreciate it at the very least. If I ever ended up on that list I would appreciate if you told me directly.

Drake - Generic Hug.png

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Some people might complain but you at least have a literal "heads up" by the fact that the block is going both ways and both know it. With this ignore thing you don't even get a heads up unless you're explicitly told which is rather weird to me. Kind of comes off as if they want to moderate less IMO.

No you're not on the list! You are fine! Most of the people that are, are kinda related to my pet peeves to be honest. XD or the creepy spammer dude with 20+alts.

From what I understand it was a software thing that is out of their control. It was a part of the update after we had that long outage if I remember right. I can definitely understand the awkwardness of informing someone you've blocked them. XD but if I also remember THAT part right you can just report and they'll be the bearer of bad news on your behalf.

Yakamaru

Woof? Woof
No you're not on the list! You are fine! Most of the people that are, are kinda related to my pet peeves to be honest. XD or the creepy spammer dude with 20+alts.

From what I understand it was a software thing that is out of their control. It was a part of the update after we had that long outage if I remember right. I can definitely understand the awkwardness of informing someone you've blocked them. XD but if I also remember THAT part right you can just report and they'll be the bearer of bad news on your behalf.
Oh god no, the question weren't directed at you, love. Glad to hear I am not on your naughty list though. :3

Fallowfox

The one thing that buys an instant ignore-ticket from me is people who make creepy comments about the age of consent.

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
One big problem I have with the old system is that it allows for users to trash talk each other and spread abuse and rumours without the other person being able to see or refute any of the bogus claims or insults.

I'm sure many people have seen this kind of behaviour here, elsewhere, and in real life often enough for it to be a real concern. There are already users here who spread rumours they can't substantiate. We don't need to give them even greater protection while they do so.

Yakamaru

Woof? Woof
One big problem I have with the old system is that it allows for users to trash talk each other and spread abuse and rumours without the other person being able to see or refute any of the bogus claims or insults.

I'm sure many people have seen this kind of behaviour here, elsewhere, and in real life often enough for it to be a real concern. There are already users here who spread rumours they can't substantiate. We don't need to give them even greater protection while they do so.
If it's public it can be addressed. If it's private you can't really address it unless another person reports it that is part of the conversation. If push comes to shove I have no issues making my ignore/block list public or the very least show that this person is on said list.

If I block or ignore someone it's for a damn good reason.

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
If it's public it can be addressed. If it's private you can't really address it unless another person reports it that is part of the conversation. If push comes to shove I have no issues making my ignore/block list public or the very least show that this person is on said list.

If I block or ignore someone it's for a damn good reason.
It would be public but the target of the slander wouldn't be able to see it directly, unless logged out.

I feel this would be deliberately done for the relative safety of attacking someone. The current system may not be perfect but it does allow people to still see and respond to content.

Yakamaru

Woof? Woof
It would be public but the target of the slander wouldn't be able to see it directly, unless logged out.

I feel this would be deliberately done for the relative safety of attacking someone. The current system may not be perfect but it does allow people to still see and respond to content.
The previous system prevented direct mention let alone replies if you had been blocked and it were considered harassment according to the CoC, 2.4 specifically.

The current system feels lackluster and way more one-sided. You can't see their posts but they can see yours.

J

JacobFloofWoof

What about me? I never had an issue with you, or at least that I can remember, but I had removed some replies in recent months, because I didn't think they were getting read tbh, and have not seen any direct interaction within any conversation for almost two years, except for the thumbing up posts with people who I have opposing opinions with (I do as well), not to mention, you randomly came off my follow list, RamJet did too :( a while back, as well as a few others, so I unfollowed in return, but I re-followed Ram after I saw him talk more recently because I know him longer. I figured I probably said something well over a year ago, idk. I kind of suspected you had me on the ignore list because it felt like you weren't seeing anything I posted, and you would only like posts of the people who were saying something opposed to my views, but when I said some stuff regarding health and anxiety with relatable stuff, I just deleted my reply.

I just ask because several people ghosted me a lot in the past.