• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

things you just dont understand

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
We saw the first christmas cookies in shops be the first of september. (Not sure if hilarious or sad.)
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up there. See, this is ok, because it's cookies.

Wait. Are we talking about the sugar cookies that you just part out and put on a sheet and bake, but in Christmas shapes and shit?
Because those are delicious no matter what time of year and they don't typically have giant obnoxious advertisement displays with flashing lights and Christmas tunes blaring from speakers directly above them.
I can excuse these being around all year. Man, I love those sugar cookies.

Godtier

Truant
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up there. See, this is ok, because it's cookies.

Wait. Are we talking about the sugar cookies that you just part out and put on a sheet and bake, but in Christmas shapes and shit?
Because those are delicious no matter what time of year and they don't typically have giant obnoxious advertisement displays with flashing lights and Christmas tunes blaring from speakers directly above them.
I can excuse these being around all year. Man, I love those sugar cookies.

What, do you mean like the Pillsbury ones? With the fun holiday pictures in food coloring??

Those are the best and anyone who says it's too early/late to eat them is out of their god damn mind

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
What, do you mean like the Pillsbury ones? With the fun holiday pictures in food coloring??

Those are the best and anyone who says it's too early/late to eat them is out of their god damn mind
YEAHYEAHYEAHTHOSE!

SEE?! No such thing as too early for these babies! Christmas trees and decorations and shit, that can wait, but the cookies, those can show up any time and it's still all good.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
When you forget your parents dont understand text slang like 'nvm' or they cant understand emotes except for the generic ':)'

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
Why there are no true technocratic governments yet.
This is especially clear when you look at certain parts of the Congress' Committee of Science, Space, and Technology, and they demonstrate clear biases towards political motives, or demonstrate a clear lack of understanding on topics...

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
You don't know what a technocracy is.

Perhaps you should clarify in what sense you're using the word, because to me it immediately invokes all the Silicon Valley types who petitioned to make Eric Schmidt the "CEO of America".

Arcana

career lurker
This is especially clear when you look at certain parts of the Congress' Committee of Science, Space, and Technology, and they demonstrate clear biases towards political motives, or demonstrate a clear lack of understanding on topics...

this is especially clear when you see that the chairman of the FCC is essentially the former head lobbyist

like, what the hell

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
That's a very poor sophistry. I expected more.

To your knowledge: in present society you don't need anything else but a phone to function normally.
Internet is not a must as well as a computer or a smartphone. If you can afford paying for a phone (that allows you to browse the Internet) three to n times more than you need (ie. WASTE MONEY) then ask yourself if you deserve the right to be called poor.

I have a plasma TV
I have a computer and a console
In my family, we all have smatphones
Oh no, I'm poor! :(

Also, it's another of your english language impairments that you don't distinguish poverty from paucity/indigence. Just like with the "friend" thing. It drives me mad.

Hardly living day by day despite cutting all possible expenses, often being malnourished = poverty
Impossibility of affording expendable (i.e. not indispensable needs) things = paucity/indigence

End of story.

Not even slightly.

I don't particularly care about a set standard of living when it comes to saying whether someone is in poverty or not. What matters to me is whether their standard of living is similar to their neighbour's.

You might as well talk about the people starving in Africa. How can any of us rich westerners complain about our economic lives when there are people in developing nations living in financially traumatic situations daily?

The reason we can still complain is because there are still people living in terrible situations despite having a smartphone. Even the homeless and unemployed should have a smartphone if it allows them to stay in touch with jobsearch websites and social support.

In fact, you might argue that a smartphone could be the cheapest convenient way of doing just that.

It doesn't matter what someone owns or how much money they have. Poverty is about a standard of living. That's obvious to everybody, so what's with the semantic vitriol, critter? Why's common sense your enemy on these forums?

Ieono

Uberaffe
Unskilled Idiots shouldn't be put in positions of power, it is as simple as that. Rational intelligent leaders make for rational intelligent groups. A thousand years, and what has really changed? The world is still being run by people whose only qualification is being able to speak loudly and own a bunch of shit. Politics does nothing to advance human civilization. It is a social contest, nothing more. Why wouldn't a person want people in control who they know will make intelligent decisions about the future? Why not have the people who are actually advancing the human race through scientific achievement have the greatest say in how society is governed?

It has occurred to me that the reason why the world is in such disarray is because the people making the most impactful decisions aren't even capable of understanding the full effect of their actions. A leader can be advised, but if he is unintelligent, he will usually make irrational and myopic decisions. The same can be said about groups of leaders, such as congress or parliament. Democracy is a farce that has continually given power to people whose main skill is social grandstanding. The whole modern system of democracy seems fucked. Poor education crates unintelligent and uninformed voters who elect fools who are controlled by the wealthy, guaranteeing their continued supremacy over society.

Urgh why are people so easily manipulated and misdirected...

Abjorn

Viking-Bear: see D-bag
People willingly wearing shorts in freezing weather and then complaining that they're cold. Common sense is an ironic term.

FenrirDarkWolf

Trapped in a Lucid Eclipse
People willingly wearing shorts in freezing weather and then complaining that they're cold. Common sense is an ironic term.

It doesn't help when your brother takes your sweats and all your jeans are for school and all you have left are the shorts you accumulated for band camp =w=

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
Unskilled Idiots shouldn't be put in positions of power, it is as simple as that. Rational intelligent leaders make for rational intelligent groups. A thousand years, and what has really changed? The world is still being run by people whose only qualification is being able to speak loudly and own a bunch of shit. Politics does nothing to advance human civilization. It is a social contest, nothing more. Why wouldn't a person want people in control who they know will make intelligent decisions about the future? Why not have the people who are actually advancing the human race through scientific achievement have the greatest say in how society is governed?

It has occurred to me that the reason why the world is in such disarray is because the people making the most impactful decisions aren't even capable of understanding the full effect of their actions. A leader can be advised, but if he is unintelligent, he will usually make irrational and myopic decisions. The same can be said about groups of leaders, such as congress or parliament. Democracy is a farce that has continually given power to people whose main skill is social grandstanding. The whole modern system of democracy seems fucked. Poor education crates unintelligent and uninformed voters who elect fools who are controlled by the wealthy, guaranteeing their continued supremacy over society.

"The trouble with politics started with Plato, who thought that our leaders should be selected from the best and brightest of the human race. Were he a bit more of a thinker and less of a literary man, he'd have realized that the best and brightest don't want the job. They pursue insight, not power. Power is an empty piece of nonsense no intelligent person would waste time on. But that leads to power going to fools who want it, and they can make our lives a misery. So every so often, the intelligent must take control, however little they like the idea."

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
somehow its snowed so much before thanksgiving that we had a school closure

if i am not mistaken it is still currently going...

i am happy for no school but if this is a sign then i am scared

Phyllostachys

Feigning intelligence

I don’t know if that could work, as while rationality might help one curb one’s needs and greed to make better decision, it does not free one from it entirely. Even the most intelligent may succumb to personal flaws. Scientists are human after all, and they make mistakes and wrong choices as well, especially on subjects outside of one’s expertise. Sometimes, they make mistakes even in their own or related fields like the case of Dr. Linus Pauling; he was one of the most influential scientists in the 20th century, contributing greatly to foundation of molecular biology, but he was also the proponent of pseudoscientific orthomolecular medicine. Also, see China where the leading party is consisted largely of scientists and engineers; even though they are competent enough for their degrees, they still are subject to corruption and nepotism.

I don’t mean that current system of democracy is perfect; it is full of flaws, and a nation would certainly benefit from more rational and competent policy makers. But I am not convinced that simply ensuring that policy makers are intelligent would solve all problems. I still think that current system is the least evil option compared to any other political systems we have, or hypothetical, ideal ones that are most likely unachievable.

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?

Two problems: One is that people who are highly specialized in one field often aren't any better at things outside that field, so there's no reason to expect that a government of scientists would improve much beyond a few tech-related policies. Two is that it's a fantastic way to perpetuate classism and underprivileged groups, as those on the bottom of society never get represented in government, and so they remain on the bottom as government ignores them.

Ieono

Uberaffe
There would be no people on the bottom if resources were managed more efficiently, and distributed more evenly. And in my imaginings, scientists of specialized fields wouldn't run things outside of their expertise. Policy makers and regulators would be "Societal engineers" whose education would cover numerous topics relating to sociological and economic systems, as well as any other fields of studies that would compliment their role in government, whether it be environmental protection or Urban development.

But they are just imaginings, after all. Nothing is going to change any time soon because of how fiercely the powers that be protect the status quo, and how convinced the public is that the current archetypal democratic system is necessary. Such a mad, mad world.

Last edited:

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned

Because they are unwilling to take responsibility for their actions... or lack of action.

ADF

Why digital copies of films are just as expensive, if not more, than their physical counterparts?

I mean WTF? You don't have to burn it on a disk in a big factory, you don't have to stick it in a fancy plastic box, you don't have to ship it somewhere that has to pay property and employee fees. Where is all this cost coming from?

The original nightmare on elm street, just to give an old example, costs £8 on Google Play to buy. The same film in physical form costs £3 off Amazon, they're charging £2.50 on GPlay just to rent it. How to train your dragon 2 costs the same to buy on GPlay as the actual blu-ray.

It's bullshit. People would be more likely to consider digital versions if they had a cost advantage over physical purchases, which they should have given distribution costs are substantially lower.

Punnchy

Feed Me Pizza
Why digital copies of films are just as expensive, if not more, than their physical counterparts?

I mean WTF? You don't have to burn it on a disk in a big factory, you don't have to stick it in a fancy plastic box, you don't have to ship it somewhere that has to pay property and employee fees. Where is all this cost coming from?

The original nightmare on elm street, just to give an old example, costs £8 on Google Play to buy. The same film in physical form costs £3 off Amazon, they're charging £2.50 on GPlay just to rent it. How to train your dragon 2 costs the same to buy on GPlay as the actual blu-ray.

It's bullshit. People would be more likely to consider digital versions if they had a cost advantage over physical purchases, which they should have given distribution costs are substantially lower.

If people stop buying the things at the prices the online retailers/digital distrubtors are selling them at, the prices may go down. We're consuming enough of their greed to keep the prices high.

Feste

I haven't found an answer yet
If people stop buying the things at the prices the online retailers/digital distrubtors are selling them at, the prices may go down. We're consuming enough of their greed to keep the prices high.

Scarcity scarcity scarcity! That's the name of the game. Gotta keep that even in digital systems otherwise economics all goes to shit.

I feel like I'm never going to understand sex. I understand drinking better.

Arcana

career lurker

yarr

Baz

I don't understand psychosis. I don't understand why it happens and how exactly it happens. Its such a strange state of mind.

Arcana

career lurker
I don't get camgirls/bots that add people on skype

like I got added by one earlier today and usually I just block 'em but I was bored. I was pretty sure that they were a bot until the very end, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm wondering if they were an above average bot, or a really dense person now.

also, a camgirl chastising me for my language? Really?