• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

things you just dont understand

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Do you really want to die someday? Probably not.

Most of us would like to avoid dying- we invent preposterous mythologies about afterlives to evade the idea that one day we simply stop and that's it: Our fear of death is so profound that plenty of people are literally doing this:
[video=youtube;TMjxeZ9FRDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjxeZ9FRDE[/video]

Since most of us recognise the idea of dying as unpleasant it would be very nice to postpone or evade it entirely if that were possible. If you're talking about a society that can achieve immortality our current overpopulation problems may not be a problem. Such a society may not breed, or may have already been colonising space for hundreds of thousands of years.

If money doesn't grow on trees, where does paper come from?

I don't understand the purpose of this phrase. It just seems a silly figure of speech.

I think it's meant to be humorous. 'Money doesn't grow on trees' is a serious phrase meant to show that cash is difficult to get. It would be funny if a serious phrase's surreal metaphor were categorically wrong. Although the paper that banknotes are made from is cotton and linen, not trees so...yeah.

Last edited:
S

Sar

Do you really want to die someday? Probably not.

Most of us would like to avoid dying- we invent preposterous mythologies about afterlives to evade the idea that one day we simply stop and that's it: Our fear of death is so profound that plenty of people are literally doing this:
[video=youtube;TMjxeZ9FRDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjxeZ9FRDE[/video]

Since most of us recognise the idea of dying as unpleasant it would be very nice to postpone or evade it entirely if that were possible. If you're talking about a society that can achieve immortality our current overpopulation problems may not be a problem. Such a society may not breed, or may have already been colonising space for hundreds of thousands of years.
I think it's meant to be humorous. 'Money doesn't grow on trees' is a serious phrase meant to show that cash is difficult to get. It would be funny if a serious phrase's surreal metaphor were categorically wrong. Although the paper that banknotes are made from is cotton and linen, not trees so...yeah.
You can sell paper to make money. If what you are saying about how money is made is true, then the saying would be false and the world has been lied to. ;)

dialup

wet floop
I saw this commercial today that made me really uncomfortable. It was a car commercial and these people are getting dressed in a car for a wedding. The two guys are in the front, already dressed and two bridesmaids are in the back and completely strip and put on their dresses for the wedding. Then after they get out of the car there's a young boy sitting there with a smile on his face, which implied he saw these two grown women naked.

I don't understand why people think this shit is funny when it's a young boy. It's creepy and weird no matter what the genders are.

Zevan

I don't understand how people can play games with the inverted y vision. It's probably just me that doesn't understand it. The casual look up to look up seems so much easier than inverting it.

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
I think that's for realism if I remember how I always see airplane controls being used.

Pulling, or going down, makes the plane rise, and therefore look up. Pushing in, or going up, makes the plane lower, and therefore look down.

Dunno what game you mean in but that's a good example of why people would do it.

Carnau

Ice cream is the only way
I don't understand how people can play games with the inverted y vision. It's probably just me that doesn't understand it. The casual look up to look up seems so much easier than inverting it.

I play games with inverted Y and X, I'm too used to it. I started doing it that way so my siblings would never fuck with my file and goddam it worked. Only problem is that I can't play default axis any longer.

Fallowfox

Actually yes, yes I do.

To clarify, if one believes there is an afterlife then one doesn't believe in dying.

Although if you actually want to stop existing entirely some day, then good for you I guess? You can surely understand why many of us don't want that, though.

LadyToorima

Nyaa nyaa~
To clarify, if one believes there is an afterlife then one doesn't believe in dying.

Although if you actually want to stop existing entirely some day, then good for you I guess? You can surely understand why many of us don't want that, though.

I understand.

Carnau

Ice cream is the only way
Sometimes I wonder if people in the Fursona personas subforum realize that your anthro doesn't NEED to be an OC, but just an athro version of yourself. Back story or not.

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
Something that I never understood because I never found an answer about: Why is it that many cartoon characters have four fingers rather than the normal five? This especially applies to non-human characters.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
While doing research for my novel, I've stumbled across a movement called transhumanism. Their ultimate goal is to eliminate death from the human condition. I don't understand why they believe this to be beneficial to the individual or the species. If none die, then consumption goes up, overpopulation will cause widespread suffering, and quality of life will evaporate before our very eyes. Why is this a good idea??

I think you imagine that transhumanists want to "switch death off". Rather, transhumanism is a complex suite of ideas, but a running theme through the movement is changing the idea of what it is to be human.

Take, for example, the idea of human intellects in robotic bodies, collective consciousness, or the idea of "abstraction" (think 'the Matrix'; creating a virtual world for human minds). In all of those cases, death is removed from the human condition by virtue of changing the human condition, rather than simply stopping natural death.

T

TheMetalVelocity

pro-abortionists who think it's so wrong to not support abortion or agree with it.

LadyToorima

Nyaa nyaa~
I would be extremely grateful is abortion can be the one topic we leave alone in this forum. We already have enough issues flying around, can we at least leave that one alone? Please. Dead serious.

T

TheMetalVelocity

Why people have to hack and ruin gta 5, and why rockstar are a bunch of assholes.

Fallowfox

I would be extremely grateful is abortion can be the one topic we leave alone in this forum. We already have enough issues flying around, can we at least leave that one alone? Please. Dead serious.

No

pro-abortionists who think it's so wrong to not support abortion or agree with it.

Pro-lifers.

Both of these positions are actually very easy to understand, it just so happens that to empathise with the second one only need use half of their brain.

I'd say 'I don't understand why so many people are posting about things which are very easy to understand,' but I do understand it. Half the posters are reading 'things we don't understand' as 'post groups of people we don't like'- even if we do understand why they behave in that fashion.

Why I needed to be taught the law of cosines.

arf arf arf, because it's useful!

You may never use it in real life, but some people do grow up to be mathematicians, engineers and scientists. The problem is that science teachers don't know which of their students will become scientific professionals, so they teach all of you.

It's the same reason you might be taught how to analyse poetry. You're probably never going to actually write about the meaning of poems for your job, but some children do grow up to do that.

Last edited:

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
arf arf arf, because it's useful!

You may never use it in real life, but some people do grow up to be mathematicians, engineers and scientists. The problem is that science teachers don't know which of their students will become scientific professionals, so they teach all of you.

It's the same reason you might be taught how to analyse poetry. You're probably never going to actually write about the meaning of poems for your job, but some children do grow up to do that.

In addition to Fallow here...

It's not all utilitarian efficiency.
Learning how to manipulate abstract mathematics may never be useful in itself, but training the cognitive functions that you employ to do so is good practice... that is to say, you may never need to know how to analyse poetry as part of a task, but the skill you practice in doing so can help you appreciate poetry more in general. The personal gain is in gaining a deeper understanding of something; meritable in itself for your own purposes even if it's not called upon by others.

Pantheros

you are me, and i am you
Integration. I used to understand it but haven't used it for a year, and now that I return to it I'm rubbish at it.
i read integration as interigation and was like "wtf since when do earth science students interogate people???"