• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

things you just dont understand

PastryOfApathy

>responding to a comment on page 2 from september while we're on page 75 in Jan 2014 to a poster who has left FAF

why do people do this sort of thing

Because better late than never :^)

Personally I don't understand the types of people who think anyone who doesn't share their opinion on something is out to get them or something.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Why many of the people I knew from school still can't spell 'definitely'. It's not a difficult word. Many of them spell it 'defiantly'...which has a different meaning. They probably don't notice because their spell checker doesn't alert them to the error.

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
Why many of the people I knew from school still can't spell 'definitely'. It's not a difficult word. Many of them spell it 'defiantly'...which has a different meaning. They probably don't notice because their spell checker doesn't alert them to the error.
I catch myself spelling it "definately" a lot. Maybe because I say it like that irl.

Why my brother thinks its mandatory to take a 45-60 minute showers.

Because of "mandatory business".

Coyote Club

El Gordito Burrito Bandito
Why my brother thinks its mandatory to take a 45-60 minute showers.

I take 30 minute showers because it makes my muscles feel good after a day of work.

What I don't understand is why the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes in Houston aren't two actual lanes. When there's an accident, it clogs miles of road at a time.

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR

Fallowfox

This:
h(t)=h(o)=exp(-RRPgt/2Dn)

This equation has cropped up to describe the rebound of land after an Ice sheet has been removed.

h(t) is the height after a time, t, has elapsed.
h(o) is the initial height

R is the radius of the depression/icesheet.
P is the density of the asthenosphere/rock.
g is the acceleration of gravity at earth's surface.
n is viscosity.

I don't know what D is though, and when I am rearranging to solve for viscosity this means I have a term of D left over in my answer.

I tried rearranging for its units and I get Metres Seconds; what does this represent?
edit: I think my previous assertion was spurious and that the units should be metres, so it must represent a depth. If anyone could explain this to me, that'd be good though.

Last edited:

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
This:
h(t)=h(o)=exp(-RRPgt/2Dn)

This equation has cropped up to describe the rebound of land after an Ice sheet has been removed.

h(t) is the height after a time, t, has elapsed.
h(o) is the initial height

R is the radius of the depression/icesheet.
P is the density of the asthenosphere/rock.
g is the acceleration of gravity at earth's surface.
n is viscosity.

I don't know what D is though, and when I am rearranging to solve for viscosity this means I have a term of D left over in my answer.

I tried rearranging for its units and I get Metres Seconds; what does this represent?
edit: I think my previous assertion was spurious and that the units should be metres, so it must represent a depth. If anyone could explain this to me, that'd be good though.

Is "Dn" possibly the change in n?

Fallowfox

Is "Dn" possibly the change in n?

No [I am assuming the fluid mantle has a homogenous viscosity]. I asked some other people and they told me it was the depth of the mantle.

I've looked through my notes on the subject and the same variable appears in Archimedes, as Pressure=g[density]D, where D is a level at which pressure is equal.

Which is why I thought it was the depth of depression under the ice sheet, but if it's the depth of the mantle that is a much greater value. The notes define it as 'some level' in the mantle, which isn't very helpful.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
How a sequence in Assassin's Creed IV is just a cutscene and some boat steering.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Why beach police are such snobby assholes.
You drive kickass atvs up and down the beach all day, why are you so butthurt all the time?

Fucking sand pigs.

Karuvatto

Why hugging is seen as not-acceptable for male's (and moreso towards other males)
Watching football...
People who say 'it's an acquired taste', isn't that just drinking something you dislike the taste of until you get used to it?

Kitsune Cross

**** that **** now! Bitch
Why hugging is seen as not-acceptable for male's (and moreso towards other males)
Watching football...
People who say 'it's an acquired taste', isn't that just drinking something you dislike the taste of until you get used to it?

Well, I didn't like wine or beer at 15 y/o, now I think it's the best thing ever

Fallowfox

Watching football...

Yes...your point is? x3