• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

things you just dont understand

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Vegetables don't taste awful.

Some may smell but they don't taste bad.

They empirically do. Many of our vegetables are descended from plants that contained cyanogens and hence were deadly poisonous. Rare mutations which were not poisonous [but still contain some cyanogens] were selected and bred for generations to derive the stock we have today; Brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauli are all descended from one originally poisonous ancestor.

Hence humans have to 'unlearn' the innate genetic programming we have to reject these clearly poisonous foods.

Notice that most acquired tastes are usually a product of preserving processes which make the food intentionally partially toxic so that pathogens are killed- so you can see how they would originally come about.

Aleu

Deuces
I liked brussels sprouts the first time I had them. Same with pretty much every single vegetable. It just depends on how they're cooked. I mean, damn I'm far pickier with fruit than I am with vegetables.

Fallowfox

I liked brussels sprouts the first time I had them. Same with pretty much every single vegetable. It just depends on how they're cooked. I mean, damn I'm far pickier with fruit than I am with vegetables.

You may be a statistical outlier, or were perhaps conditioned before you remember trying your first vegetables- and of course there is still some subjectivity left in personal taste, but for the vast majority of people foods derived from poisonous ancestors are a taste we learn not to associate with toxicity and eventually even learn to like.

Compare this to sweet and or protein rich foods, which children do not grow up despising but usually enjoy automatically.

Aleu

Deuces
This is one thing that boggles me.

People that see movies just because a certain actor is in it. Who CARES if Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Paul Walker, Chris Pine or whatever fucking else is in it. I can understand if the actor is REALLY bad *coughKristenStewartcough* but just because so 'n so is in it doesn't make it good and/or a "must see".

dialup

wet floop

People that see movies just because a certain actor is in it. Who CARES if Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Paul Walker, Chris Pine or whatever fucking else is in it. I can understand if the actor is REALLY bad *coughKristenStewartcough* but just because so 'n so is in it doesn't make it good and/or a "must see".

I do that with Christoph Waltz, admittedly. I love his acting, and every movie he's been in I really enjoyed (even the Green Hornet haha).

And as creepy and weird as Tom Cruise is, he IS a damn good actor. I think that's why he's perfected it over the years.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Grilled brussel sprouts are amazing.

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
Meh vegetables. I don't care for too many. I like corn, potatoes, peas, and carrots. Everything else is repelling. Smell is a big factor in my food, because I'd like to have complete enjoyment with my food than make it a task to get rid of a bad smell. Celery, ranch, pickles, onions, and some others I can't remember, are absolutely repulsive.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Meh vegetables. I don't care for too many. I like corn, potatoes, peas, and carrots. Everything else is repelling. Smell is a big factor in my food, because I'd like to have complete enjoyment with my food than make it a task to get rid of a bad smell. Celery, ranch, pickles, onions, and some others I can't remember, are absolutely repulsive.
Ranch isnt a vegetable you twit XD
And pickles are amazing.

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
I don't understand why some people love their parents even though they have done horrible un-forgivable things to them.

I'd guess it would be the same as if it were the other way around.

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
Ranch doesn't really have a smell unless you stick your face in it.

Don't stick your face in ranch you weirdo.

I'm a dishwasher, the steam makes the strength of the smell do a tenfold. And then some.

Therefore I don't stick my face.in it, it sticks itself in my face. :3

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
No but it is put with a lot of them. And is putrid as all hell.
Thats why you got to make your own. I cant stand store bought ranch, so the rare times I use it I make a healthy ranch with my own choice of herbs and spices.

Karuvatto

I don't understand why some people love their parents even though they have done horrible un-forgivable things to them.
Maximum Yandere's!
You may be a statistical outlier, or were perhaps conditioned before you remember trying your first vegetables- and of course there is still some subjectivity left in personal taste, but for the vast majority of people foods derived from poisonous ancestors are a taste we learn not to associate with toxicity and eventually even learn to like.

Compare this to sweet and or protein rich foods, which children do not grow up despising but usually enjoy automatically.
Well even so, if you're standing around drinking beer on your front lawn like King of the Hill and you find it tastes disgusting; There's surely another beer that exists you wont find awful. If you're so determined to have to drink a beer with your friends, why not get a beer you actually like the taste of?

With vegetables there's plenty of ways to change their taste. Hated vegetables, always, until I went to a friend's place and his father made a stir-fry full of them, but darn he made them taste the best.

Oh definitely seconding this, and the follow up of 'that actor is <your country>!'... so what that actor could suck. Just 'cause they're from your country doesn't mean they're good, heck why does it matter.

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
I might get a little bit of hate for this, but I've never really understood the concept of furry pride. What exactly is there to be proud of?

Fallowfox

Maximum Yandere's!

Well even so, if you're standing around drinking beer on your front lawn like King of the Hill and you find it tastes disgusting; There's surely another beer that exists you wont find awful. If you're so determined to have to drink a beer with your friends, why not get a beer you actually like the taste of?

With vegetables there's plenty of ways to change their taste. Hated vegetables, always, until I went to a friend's place and his father made a stir-fry full of them, but darn he made them taste the best.

Oh definitely seconding this, and the follow up of 'that actor is <your country>!'... so what that actor could suck. Just 'cause they're from your country doesn't mean they're good, heck why does it matter.

I never really had the 'isn't beer disgusting?' issue, but I tasted it intermittently when I was younger and hence was probably accustomed to it already by the time I started drinking it more often.

I might get a little bit of hate for this, but I've never really understood the concept of furry pride. What exactly is there to be proud of?

Great big fluffy tails.

Although seriously I'm wagering 'furry pride' constitutes people who feel that everyone is making fun of them, and trolls who are encouraging those people to believe everyone is making fun of them.