• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Thinking about joining the armed forces.

Tissemand

Random furfag
(This thread is mostly aimed at people who are currently in the US military.)

I'm seriously considering joining the military after high school, considering there's a rather low chance of getting in to any respected college, and thus a low chance of getting a job... I want to have that feeling of "fuck yeah, America, etc.", and I also feel a bit obligated to serve for my country.

I'm wondering if I were to join the military, is there a way to avoid combat? How do they select/assign jobs to new recruits? Can I just be like "oh hai, I would like a job in technology"?

CannotWait

Most likely if you show no relevant skill in military you will end up like Pvt. Pyle from Full Metal Jacket.

CannotWait

Oh, thank you for that encouraging encouragement. :3

I detect sarcasm. If you really want a job not doing combat then show leadership skill and you will just end up training people or working with computers try to VERY VERY subtly show that you are not proficient in weapons or killing people and they will make a place for you. Also, join the army for that because The Marines are trained to kill and you won't be let off the hook there. You might can find something fun in the Air Force or the Navy. The Navy is harder to get into though and the Air Force will probably make you fly.

My Dad was a First Lieutenant in the Army and he never did combat. Of course, he was also in the Army during times of mostly peace.

Octa

Oh good, I only saw the first half of the title on the main page. The second half could have been aything: Thinking about joining the KKK.

Hey man, if it isn't the KKK, then join up.

CannotWait

Oh good, I only saw the first half of the title on the main page. The second half could have been aything: Thinking about joining the KKK.

What's wrong with the Kansas Kangaroo Klub?

Tissemand

Random furfag
I detect sarcasm. If you really want a job not doing combat then show leadership skill and you will just end up training people or working with computers try to VERY VERY subtly show that you are not proficient in weapons or killing people and they will make a place for you. Also, join the army for that because The Marines are trained to kill and you won't be let off the hook there. You might can find something fun in the Air Force or the Navy. The Navy is harder to get into though and the Air Force will probably make you fly.

My Dad was a First Lieutenant in the Army and he never did combat. Of course, he was also in the Army during times of mostly peace.
Thanks. I'll definitely not join the marines ;) I think I'll try joining the navy, then probably fall back on the army.

WILL DO, BROTHER.

Uberpo0dle

I'm wondering if I were to join the military, is there a way to avoid combat? How do they select/assign jobs to new recruits? Can I just be like "oh hai, I would like a job in technology"?

That depends on what you want to go for. Theres plenty of jobs on the military that don't require you to be in combat. I would go on the website of whatever branch you may wan't to join and look at some of the careers choices they have. right down some you think you're interested in and think you could do. Also if and when you choose to join you will take something called the ASVAB(Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) test which measures your strengths, weaknesses, and potential for future success. The ASVAB also provides you with career information for various civilian and military occupations and is an indicator for success in future endeavors whether you choose to go to college, vocational school, or a military career. Also don't forget to talk to your family about it.

Oh, they're not going to like that. You're going to get send directly to the middle east.

You're retarded. He can't get Occupation in the military or even be sworn in without an ASVAB score.

There's an ASVAB REQUIREMENT to make Infantry, some don't and as it stands. Tissemand is unqualified for Combat arms.

Also depending on his height and weight.

Marty_GrayFire

That depends on what you want to go for. Theres plenty of jobs on the military that don't require you to be in combat. I would go on the website of whatever branch you may wan't to join and look at some of the careers choices they have. right down some you think you're interested in and think you could do. Also if and when you choose to join you will take something called the ASVAB(Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) test which measures your strengths, weaknesses, and potential for future success. The ASVAB also provides you with career information for various civilian and military occupations and is an indicator for success in future endeavors whether you choose to go to college, vocational school, or a military career. Also don't forget to talk to your family about it.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Don't discount the Marines, most Marines will never see direct combat. I was a Machine Gunner (0331) and have deployed to Iraq, but I asked for the infantry, despite a high ASVAB score. It all depends on what you find fits you. There are a multitude of jobs in every branch that are technical or otherwise in nature, and have very little possibility of seeing combat in any form. Provided you qualify for it, you pretty much get to pick your job, as well as alternates if you don't get your first choice. Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions, I'll do my best to answer them or at least point you in the right direction.

Also, you say you want to serve your country. But want to avoid combat?

Do you know that by joining the military you will be working in a capacity, engaging or supporting combat.
The Military, Militaries. Army Navy USMC AirForce all center around force and combat?

DO you want to sit behind a desk and feel important?

Last edited:

Uberpo0dle

One thing with joining the military is that you can't always get the job you want. Lets say of you want to be an operator of a drone or maybe a doctor. You may not get to do either one of those things. The military will put you where you best qualify and where your needed most.

Mayfurr

Mostly Harmless
I'm wondering if I were to join the military, is there a way to avoid combat?

Eh? Sounds like an oxymoron to me - I mean, combat is what the military does. Even if you're in a role that doesn't involve being at the right end of a weapon, at some point by virtue of being in a military organisation there's a chance you'll be facing the wrong end of one.

It's like asking how to have a career in a hospital while avoiding sick people, or a career in IT that didn't involve anything to do with computers or electronics.

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Air force. My husband joined and is a jet engine mechanic. He will have a zip chance in hell to. See combat other than fighting over tools