• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Thinking about joining the armed forces.

Marty_GrayFire

you have to be sure its what you want. you will have to put up with a lot of bullshit, and a lot of stupid people
Keep that in mind if you consider the Army or Marines, for sure.

Being a former Marine Machine Gunner, I'll say that the 240 certainly is a bitch to shoulder-fire, but it's damn fun! Tried it a couple times and you absolutely cannot hit anything, but then again it's not designed for that the way the M60 was.

I do have to say, Marines certainly do talk a lot of shit about the Army, but I know it comes back our way from you guys just as much. I refuse to get into an Army/USMC pissing match, I'm just saying. Marines are awesome, the Marine Corps as an institution... not so much. I can only speak for the grunt units, but there's a lot of bullshit and such when you're in garrison.

Oh and marines may have 13 weeks of basic, but US ARMY Infantry basic is 14 weeks! We arent all that different, exept the army is a little less full of ourselves.
Except for the fact that ALL Marines go through 13 weeks of boot camp, then 8 weeks at the School of Infantry for baby grunts, or 6 weeks of combat training there for non-grunts. So USMC grunts get 21 weeks of training before the fleet, POGs get 19 weeks before they head to their actual MOS school (which could be a few weeks long, or nearly a year). Remember, learn something new every day!

BTW, if I could go back and do it all over again (providing I still decided to join up), it would be between the Air Force and the Coast Guard.

Last edited:

Kitsune_Morric

Wearer of Many Masks
umm honestly? i'm in the military and just got back from afghanistan(yay for not dying!)

it's deffinitely an experience and all, and yeah amerkuh 'n stuff, but you really can't ask for advice on whether to or not to join the military on a forum, it's going to be your choice in the end, and do you want it influenced by the internet?

Ricky

it's deffinitely an experience and all, and yeah amerkuh 'n stuff, but you really can't ask for advice on whether to or not to join the military on a forum, it's going to be your choice in the end, and do you want it influenced by the internet?

So what you are saying is they should choose themselves without first asking/listening to anyone who has experience to give them opinions or advice?

Frokusblakah

Drunk Fox
but you really can't ask for advice on whether to or not to join the military on a forum, it's going to be your choice in the end, and do you want it influenced by the internet?

Asking for advice is an outstanding option before joining the armed forces. The only problem is weeding out the BS advice from people who obviously have never served or are extremely biased and the advice that is actually an honest view. I've seen quiet a few posts in this thread alone where I facepalmed because the person had no clue what they were talking about, but there are a few posts where they gave a decent insight that should be thought about. Personal choice, yes, but not one you have to make alone. I talked to a lot of people before I joined. =P

Xegras

Peerat
*Buttscoots across entire thread*

Kitsune_Morric

Wearer of Many Masks
Asking for advice is an outstanding option before joining the armed forces. The only problem is weeding out the BS advice from people who obviously have never served or are extremely biased and the advice that is actually an honest view. I've seen quiet a few posts in this thread alone where I facepalmed because the person had no clue what they were talking about, but there are a few posts where they gave a decent insight that should be thought about. Personal choice, yes, but not one you have to make alone. I talked to a lot of people before I joined. =P

So what you are saying is they should choose themselves without first asking/listening to anyone who has experience to give them opinions or advice?

no no no, it's a wise move to ask PEOPLE with the experience for advice, or maybe family, but asking people on the internet... ESPECIALLY FAF, doesn't seem like a smooth move. can you honestly say that out of all the questions you've asked on FAF, you WEREN'T replied with :V or some random bat-shit craziness? (i love you guys ^_^)

i'm just saying, ask a servicemember, ask your family, ask the retired army guy who works the pizza joint down the road(that's what i did), DO NOT ASK A RECRUITER~!

but in the end man, it's all you, you sign, you control yourself(for now) and you will make the decision

Ricky

no no no, it's a wise move to ask PEOPLE with the experience for advice, or maybe family, but asking people on the internet... ESPECIALLY FAF, doesn't seem like a smooth move. can you honestly say that out of all the questions you've asked on FAF, you WEREN'T replied with :V or some random bat-shit craziness? (i love you guys ^_^)

I think people here just tend to be cynical. I honestly don't see the big deal.

Not everyone has family or friends who were enlisted.

Kitsune_Morric

Wearer of Many Masks
I think people here just tend to be cynical. I honestly don't see the big deal.

Not everyone has family or friends who were enlisted.

you don't JUST need servicemember's suppourt, i'm talking about people who can see you on the outside and say whether they think it's for you, get some suppourt maybe. but no matter WHOSE oppinion they get, or information, it won't be the same, some people spice up the story of the army like it's COD or something, some people make it seem like Full Metal Jacket, and you won't know till you're in

Xegras

Peerat
I think OP ran off and decided to join the BK corps.

Good job men! See you at the next military themed thread.

Kitsune_Morric

Wearer of Many Masks
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

sorry, trying to make sense whilst intoxicated is actually rather difficult(guess how long it took me to think of all those pretty words? ^_^)

okay, basically i'm skeptical of people who take advice of people they've never met over the internet. i mean christ, me and lonelykitsune CLAIM to be in the military, but you don't know if we are. we could be blowing smoke out our asses and making this kid rather fucked up on information and stuff. also as much fun as i get from the internet(especially FAF) i need human verbal and visual contact before i make decisions like joining the military... or sex change