• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

This hurts so bad.

Caffeine

I got my spacers in today and I am getting my braces in next week. The lady today said, "Your teeth are so tight together, I can hardly fit this floss in!" So she just forced the spacers in. My jaw hurts now and I was spitting up large amounts of blood in the parking lot, even after I asked for a cup of water to wash out the bad taste.

Tomorrow will be far worse... but... any suggestions? We've all been through the pain of spacers/braces before- so how should I go about dealing with the pain of them?

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather
Ibuprofen worked for me and try to distract yourself. If you are occupied pain generally becomes less noticeable, unless you do something that makes it worse.

Ilayas

You can guilt your parents into buying ice cream. Eating anything that requires chewing is generally a bad idea. Invest in apple sauce best food for this sort of thing. It's cool with out being cold, it doesn't cake up and coat things and its' better for you then ice cream is. Braces suck like lot. When you get them tightened it probably won't bleed but it will hurt like hell. Make sure that they clip the wires at the back of the braces really good and that they give you lots of wax to take care of any place that the braces rub on your mouth. Honestly that hurts more then the tightening that pain goes away after a few days. If you got a bit of metal rubbing against the inside of your mouth that's not going away. Make sure to brush well it's a pain with braces but it hurts like hell if you have a bunch of tarter build up that the dentist has to scrape off.

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather
You can also buy wax at your local drug store (ie Walgreens CVS)

Caffeine

You can guilt your parents into buying ice cream. Eating anything that requires chewing is generally a bad idea. Invest in apple sauce best food for this sort of thing. It's cool with out being cold, it doesn't cake up and coat things and its' better for you then ice cream is. Braces suck like lot. When you get them tightened it probably won't bleed but it will hurt like hell. Make sure that they clip the wires at the back of the braces really good and that they give you lots of wax to take care of any place that the braces rub on your mouth. Honestly that hurts more then the tightening that pain goes away after a few days. If you got a bit of metal rubbing against the inside of your mouth that's not going away. Make sure to brush well it's a pain with braces but it hurts like hell if you have a bunch of tarter build up that the dentist has to scrape off.

Thanks. I believe we have some ice-cream in the fridge, and even some cherrysauce. For lunch I'll try and guilt my mom into getting me some of Panera's cheesy potato soup. For the braces, we have a waterpik that I can use to clean my teeth real well. I just hope the braces won't hurt as bad as these spacers. These hurt really bad ;_;

ugh x.x hated braces and everything related. so much scheduled pain.

I know. I hate everything to do with braces and orthodontist stuff.

Last edited:

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
I had braces for five years. You eventually just get used to having your mouth in pain for a few days every month. Advil helps, but so does brandy. You can mix them; I've done that. If you can score some hydrocodone, get that. My dentist would never prescribe any for me though :p

Caffeine

I had braces for five years. You eventually just get used to having your mouth in pain for a few days every month. Advil helps, but so does brandy. You can mix them; I've done that. If you can score some hydrocodone, get that. My dentist would never prescribe any for me though :p

Bahaha. My mom has to take hydrocodone for her disease. I can't take it though. I probably don't weigh enough or I'm too young to be taking it.

ramsay_baggins

WINTERFELL!
Fuck, I hated braces! Hurts like hell for a few days everytime you get them tightened, but you just get used to them really. Just think of the awesome smile you'll have in the end!

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
My old orthodontist seemed a bit excited when it came time for tightening my braces. I swear he put his back into it and enjoyed every minute of that shit. I wanted to throttle him.

Ibuuyk

Icon made by Littlerock!
Bah, stop complaining. You bastards are extremely lucky to be rich enough to have braces, these cost an arm, a leg and a nut or two >.>

Sundown

Always remind your Mom right after you get your braces tightened that she cannot make anything chewing related. My Mom kept making steak after I got my braces tightened for some reason. Didn't do it on purpose, but it was still a pain. -_-

Jello is pretty nice too, but if you need something more substantial a baked potato isn't half bad. Mix in a bit of butter and mash finely and it won't hurt too much to eat.

Edit: I do consider myself lucky to have had them, and if I could go back I would do it over again... but getting braces tightened still sucks.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Generally what I did with tightening days is take a few ibuprofen and go to bed. I avoided chewing food for the next couple of days.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
Braces are bad. But headgear and braces? Oh lawdy, just kill me now. I never wore that shit, and my teeth look as good as ever, so I suppose I didn't need it. Nothing like shredding the inside of your mouth with metal brackets 24/7.

ramsay_baggins

WINTERFELL!
Bah, stop complaining. You bastards are extremely lucky to be rich enough to have braces, these cost an arm, a leg and a nut or two >.>

Unless you live in the UK and get them done on the NHS ;3

Conker

It's hard not to complain when you're a fucking metalface.
Your appearance will be the least of your worries before you're completely done with the ordeal.

D

Don

I bloody loathed having braces, and I had the bastards on my teeth for four damn years and I don't miss a moment of it.

Try to comfort yourself with knowing that your teeth will look a lot better in the end.

Ad Hoc

Some old guy
I always sort of liked the pain after tightening. >> Guess I'm an odd one.

But, yes, take some OTC anti-inflammatories/painkillers.

Caffeine

Your appearance will be the least of your worries before you're completely done with the ordeal.

Oh, I don't care about my appearance. I hate the thought of having metal in my mouth.

I had an expander once, and every morning I woke up and huge, deep, bloody gashes were in my tongue, and countless nicks and bumps were all over my gums. My orthodontist said he's never seen a mouth that bloody and swollen from an expander. I refused to talk ever, because it hurt too bad. The only thing I ever ate was pudding.

So you can see why I'm so scared of ever getting any ortho work done. It was a terribly painful experience.

Conker

Oh, I don't care about my appearance. I hate the thought of having metal in my mouth.

I had an expander once, and every morning I woke up and huge, deep, bloody gashes were in my tongue, and countless nicks and bumps were all over my gums. My orthodontist said he's never seen a mouth that bloody and swollen from an expander. I refused to talk ever, because it hurt too bad. The only thing I ever ate was pudding.

So you can see why I'm so scared of ever getting any ortho work done. It was a terribly painful experience.
If you have a good orthodontist, you won't have too much to worry about. Typically, your mouth will hurt for a few days after a checkup, but then everything gets better.