• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

This is not a valid PNG. - Downloaded pictures

Nova25

Not sure, if someone you can solve this strange mystery... Every pictures that I 'download' from *some* artists, that are specifically in the *.png format, if I try to open them on my computer it always tells me ''This is not a valid PNG file.''

If I rename the extension to *.jpg , everything works fine.

It's a rather minor thing, but still... It's a bit annoying (and strange), honestly.

Attachments

• invalid png.jpg
    invalid png.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

darien

Coffee Tiger
This is not really a site & forum problem as it is a your computer problem. The cause is likely in the way you go about downloading the pictures through your browser. There are a couple ways to go about fixing this issue but perhaps the easiest solution given the information you've provided is to associate pictures with a program that will display the image in either format. Paint Shop Pro 7 is by all means ancient software (side note: I still have jasc paint shop pro 6) and is very strict about file-types. If you'd like to just be able to view the pictures consider associating the mime type with a different program. It looks like you're using windows 7, so in order to do that go to control panel> click 'programs'> click 'default programs'> click 'associate a file type or protocol with a specific program' scroll down to .png highlight it and then click 'change program' I recommend switching to windows photo viewer as it's not going to care if it's extension says it's a png jpg gif or bitmap and will display it regardless as long as the file's header's are true to it's content encoding. This will- by default- open png's in windows photo viewer instead of paint shop pro 7, but this doesn't prevent you from opening and editing png files with paint shop pro.

That all said this is a work-around and not the source of the problem which likely lies with your web browser's download settings. As I don't know which web browser you are using, i cannot offer suggestions to fix the source of the problem and only a means to mitigate the issue you are encountering with Paint Shop Pro 7's strict file-type recognition. (techincal point: PSP7 reads the file extension and not the headers when determining a file type, windows photo viewer relies on the headers within the file and doesn't care about the file's name and extension)

Nova25

That all said this is a work-around and not the source of the problem which likely lies with your web browser's download settings. As I don't know which web browser you are using, i cannot offer suggestions to fix the source of the problem and only a means to mitigate the issue you are encountering with Paint Shop Pro 7's strict file-type recognition. (techincal point: PSP7 reads the file extension and not the headers when determining a file type, windows photo viewer relies on the headers within the file and doesn't care about the file's name and extension)

I'm using Palemoon (and yes, on Windows 7).

darien

Coffee Tiger
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with palemoon, though I do understand that it is a derivative of firefox, which did at one point have a similar issue with saving images with the wrong extension, something that users were able to remedy by deleting mimeTypes.rdf in the firefox profile directory thereby forcing it to restore the file with default settings.

Again I am not familiar with palemoon but as it is derrived from the firefox code base some of the structure is probably the same. if you're able to, you may wish to locate one of the images you've had this problem with for testing purposes, then follow palemoon's guidance on how to reset your browser profile, then restart your browser, and finally try downloading the image again to see if that solves the issue you're having with images saving with the wrong extension.

Nova25

Seems like Palemoon does also have a 'mimeTypes.rdf' file, which reset stuff, but it didn't solve this odd issue.

Oh well. As I said, it's minor and not really important. Just one of the many strange mysteries of working with mismatched computers and mismatched programs, everything customized in one way or another... Sometimes, it's impossible to figure out where that darn ''clickety sound'' comes from.

I can still 'view' them using Windows' viewer-thingy, just not ''view'' them using PSP7(unless I edit the extension).

darien

Coffee Tiger
As I said, resetting mimeTypes.rdf worked for firefox, though I did suggest resetting your entire browser profile for palemoon, which if you haven't tried, you should. I know it's the nuclear option but i guarentee the source of the issue lies with your browser and resetting the entire profile to defaults is most likely to fix this issue. again, i'm not familiar with palemoon or how it differs from firefox. for all i know it might not even use mimetypes.rdf the same way firefox does. If resetting your entire browser profile fails contact palemoon's support/forums regarding the issue.

as a note, i'd be sure to backup your bookmarks and such before resetting your browser profile, that way you can reimport them and nothing imprtant is lost.