• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Thoughts on this reference design?

Lobie5

Lobie the Cartoonist
I'm hoping to start building my first fursuit once my paycheck comes in, and I wanted to get some feedback on my old reference sheet. I'm planning on redrawing it to make some adjustments, so I'd like to know what looks good, what doesn't look good, potential problems I might run into, etc.

I'll probably start him out as a partial suit with arm sleeves and feet, and just cover my body with a baggy sweatshirt and some padding. That way I could probably upgrade him later once I can afford it. ^^;

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I think it's cute! If you can manage a floofy feathery pompadour on your partial, you will command respect-

Lobie5

Lobie the Cartoonist
I think it's cute! If you can manage a floofy feathery pompadour on your partial, you will command respect-
Thanks!
Idk how gonna make his lil' pompadour look right, but I guess I'll just wing it when the time comes. :p (Using plenty of tutorials, of course.)

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Thanks!
Idk how gonna make his lil' pompadour look right, but I guess I'll just wing it when the time comes. :p (Using plenty of tutorials, of course.)
Maaaaybe look at the cosplayers and see what solutions they have? Then you can cheat with some wig work and perhaps sew the solution on.

(Also, I saw what you did there)

TheCynicalViet

In terms of functioning as a reference for your fursuit, it's pretty great. I'd recommend adding a posterior view just finish everything off.

For the floof, you could always try using a plush addition to the head. That way it can keep it's floofiness by literally being made of floof. For the beak, I'm curious what you might do. I'd suggest using a plastic mold or just 3d printing it albeit modeling is necessary. And for the flippers, you could always try using rubber grips on their undersides so that you can still hold things without compromising the shape of the flipper.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
In terms of functioning as a reference for your fursuit, it's pretty great. I'd recommend adding a posterior view just finish everything off.

For the floof, you could always try using a plush addition to the head. That way it can keep it's floofiness by literally being made of floof. For the beak, I'm curious what you might do. I'd suggest using a plastic mold or just 3d printing it albeit modeling is necessary. And for the flippers, you could always try using rubber grips on their undersides so that you can still hold things without compromising the shape of the flipper.
Or for the flippers, have some floofy covers and wear matching gloves underneath. c:

Lobie5

Lobie the Cartoonist

Thanks for the tips. Plush floof sounds pretty good, and I didn't even consider adding rubber grips 'till now. Great idea! :D
As for the beak, a plastic mold might be the best choice, since it'd be pretty weird to have a fuzzy beak. I hear InstaMorph plastic is pretty good for modeling, although I'd be a lil' worried about it melting. XD

Lobie5

Lobie the Cartoonist
Or for the flippers, have some floofy covers and wear matching gloves underneath. c:
A fair proposition. The underside might look kinda strange, but it'd probably be more practical. I'll have to think about that one. ^^;

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
A fair proposition. The underside might look kinda strange, but it'd probably be more practical. I'll have to think about that one. ^^;
Yea, it depends on how mobile you want to be in this thing~. Some people need handlers to do things for them while they are in the suit.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
Here is my take on this. For the flippers, use a stiff foam for the outside of the arm sleeves, at least towards the bottom by your hands. You could make gloves for this. You could even put a flap fastened with velcro on the gloves so that you can actually use your hands. The hair, I would loop the fur and maybe put a piece of foam or several pieces of fun foam inside the loop to hold it up. The hair piece could be attached to the head separately by sewing it on, or by using velcro.

Lobie5

Lobie the Cartoonist
Here is my take on this. For the flippers, use a stiff foam for the outside of the arm sleeves, at least towards the bottom by your hands. You could make gloves for this. You could even put a flap fastened with velcro on the gloves so that you can actually use your hands. The hair, I would loop the fur and maybe put a piece of foam or several pieces of fun foam inside the loop to hold it up. The hair piece could be attached to the head separately by sewing it on, or by using velcro.
That's an excellent idea for the flippers! I'm not quite sure what you mean by looping the fur, though. Could you show me a picture of what you mean, if you can? ^^;

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
That's an excellent idea for the flippers! I'm not quite sure what you mean by looping the fur, though. Could you show me a picture of what you mean, if you can? ^^;
I don't have a photo of that. Make it like a mini pillow. You can put foam in the middle for body for the "hair piece".

Lobie5

Lobie the Cartoonist
I don't have a photo of that. Make it like a mini pillow. You can put foam in the middle for body for the "hair piece".
Ah, that's okay. Anyhow, I think I understand. Thank you! :D