• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Thumbnails not working properly?

Kattling

I don't quite understand what's going wrong here. I know that animations don't just work in the thumbnails on FA, so I made a still and tried to upload it, but it compressed it back to the original size of the icon (poorly, may I add), completely defeating the purpose of having a thumbnail in the first place.

Here's what it looks like on my page:
Untitled-4.png

The thumbnails next to it are 150x150, so I made this image:
pikachu-ico.png

This is the image I am using as a thumbnail. I can't understand why it's resized it so small, when all the others are able to be 150x150. Is there any point in me even uploading a thumbnail if it's going to do this? Or is there some kind of workaround?

Here's the link to the actual thing, if anyone needs it: www.furaffinity.net: Bouncy Pikachu Icon by Kattling

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Are you use a .gif file format? Perhaps try a .jpg or .png

My experience with thumbnails on FA is that they are always blurry, but that might be more down to Windows 10 being terrible.

Kattling

Are you use a .gif file format? Perhaps try a .jpg or .png

My experience with thumbnails on FA is that they are always blurry, but that might be more down to Windows 10 being terrible.

The original file is a .gif, but the thumbnail is a .png. ;u; I might try making an alternate file type though, good call.

Kattling

Ahh it didn't work. ;n; I don't understand why it'd resize it so small, when 150x150 is an acceptable size. I've tried .png, .gif, .jpg, transparent and non-transparent, it just doesn't wanna exist properly. ^^;

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
I asked Yak about this. He stated the following:
custom thumbnails are... pretty limited, to the point of being dysfunctional for art submissions. you can upload the custom thumbnail to any submission, and it is going to be stored on our servers. however, its limited to 120px in size and the thumbnail server is not necessarily going to make use of it.

when the page wants to display a thumbnail of any specific size (dictated by the user's thumbnail size preference) the thumbnail server has to generate the thumbnail of that size. and for that it has to fist figure out the source material to work with. for story/poetry/music type submissions there isn't a choice as you can't make an image out of a text file directly so it uses either the custom thumbnail uploaded for that submission, or the default 'story/poetry/music' thumbnail as the source.

for art submissions however there is a choice: it can use either the custom thumbnail or the image itself as the source. since the default thumbnail size on the site is 200px, using a 'custom thumbnail' (120px) as source would mean blowing it up in size which isn't going to look good. so the thumbnail server uses the original submission file as the source instead, and the custom thumbnail only when requested thumbnail size is equal to or below 120px (so there would be no image enlarging going on).

there aren't many pages that use custom thumbnail sizes that do not obey the user's thumbnail size setting. one of them is the "next/prev" minigallery under the main submission image which uses 120px thumbnails regardless and that's where custom thumbnail are going to display properly on.

I bolded the part pertinent to your situation, but the rest is also nice to know, so I'm posting that, too.

Basically you are going to want a 120x120 or smaller thumbnail for art submissions. Your thumbnail being 150x150 is out of its limitations, so it's choosing your source submission file instead. Give the 120x120 a shot and let me know how it turns out.

willowwisp89

Basically you are going to want a 120x120 or smaller thumbnail for art submissions. Your thumbnail being 150x150 is out of its limitations, so it's choosing your source submission file instead. Give the 120x120 a shot and let me know how it turns out.

I've been having an issue where my custom thumbnail doesn't seem to show up at all, only ever using the source gif in the preview. This is the closest thing to advice on this topic I've been able to dig up, so I tried 120x120 and even 100x100 but it still doesn't seem to work. Not as a png, jpg, or gif.

The source gif is 320x240, I don't know if that could have anything to do with it. But I have no idea what I could be doing wrong at this point.

EDIT: Oh wait this thread was from 2019... I should learn to read dates

Last edited: