• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Time for a critique for me

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
well, I assume you read the title if you're here. Basically, I want to get some input of what people think of my work. Any and all constructive help is appreciated.

Here's some things to look at, most recent and typical artwork.
Hand sketch in ink
Reclined Nude: possible NSFW
3/4 Rear View sketch

Keep in mind, the shading was not my priority in these drawings, but rather proportion and flow.There are some points I'm going to be working on expressly:
*the Wrist and hand
*the ankle and the foot
*forearm
*neck
*Developing body flow lines
*eventually, coloring.

And here's a link to my FA. Keep in mind the 4 newest drawings are recent, the others are likely 2 months or older.

I appreciate your time and help in advance.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
omgosh is that hand giving me the bird
(jk)

Hey lookin' good :] The third one is really interesting; they have such a strange body-type (which I mean that it's most likely the reference and not your picture, lol)

I'd say the one thing that I'd like to see you work on a bit more is getting the balance between tightening your linework and getting small details in vs. the large sketchy strokes. I love sketchy strokes, but in some places (the face, the hair etc) you might wanna really get some nice tight lines in :]

or maybe you plan on doing this and I'm just wasting my time with this advice lol

Couple other things: the hip twisting on the second piece is bothering me a touch; somewhere around where the hip meets the waist... the line looks a bit too sharp to maybe be expressing the twisting motion. I dunno I'd have to see refs

Third picture: watch that back arm, it doesn't look like it's connected to the body, especially with the way that shoulder blade is placed.

These are just some of the first things I thought of. might come back later!

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
omgosh is that hand giving me the bird
(jk)

Hey lookin' good :] The third one is really interesting; they have such a strange body-type (which I mean that it's most likely the reference and not your picture, lol)

I'd say the one thing that I'd like to see you work on a bit more is getting the balance between tightening your linework and getting small details in vs. the large sketchy strokes. I love sketchy strokes, but in some places (the face, the hair etc) you might wanna really get some nice tight lines in :]

or maybe you plan on doing this and I'm just wasting my time with this advice lol

Couple other things: the hip twisting on the second piece is bothering me a touch; somewhere around where the hip meets the waist... the line looks a bit too sharp to maybe be expressing the twisting motion. I dunno I'd have to see refs

Third picture: watch that back arm, it doesn't look like it's connected to the body, especially with the way that shoulder blade is placed.

These are just some of the first things I thought of. might come back later!

Crap, is it giving the bird? D: ...nope, haha. Sometimes I subconsciously draw stuff like that, haha.

Alright, I'll work on tightening the lines. I hate making excuses, but the second and third pictures are roughly 3" tall in my sketchbook. Ithe hand picture is actually scribbled on the back of a half-sheet of printer paper and was done in the middle of one of my classes at school, haha. I'm looking forward to drawing in my brand-new giant 18"x24" drawing pad, that should help give room to define line variety. Still, I am not sure how to fix that otherwise.

If you have any tips or examples of line variety, I'd be greatly appreciative of them. You can see I don't know enough in that area right now, so I need help.

I see what you mean about the hips, that's a problem area I knew about, but couldn't pick the specific problem there. But now you mention it, it looks pretty clear what I should change there. The third picture would be an easy fix, I just neglected to shade dark enough and make the upper arm thick-- it looks like it curves up even though it's meant to be straight. Except holy crap I forgot her tricep muscle, that's a big boo-boo. Still, that's noted.

Your advice is far from wasted, I really appreciate the leads and time you put into the crit. I was starting to "stagnate" in my work again, but this should help out a bunch.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
well if they're small sketches it's gonna be pretty hard to get that detail in, so it's not really as much an excuse as it is just a fact :p haha. I wish I had some examples to give you for line variation but I can' think of any off the top of my head... I think it just has to do with focus. As humans we like to focus on the faces first. Having underlying bold strokes is fine, but taking the time to get the fine lines into the nose/mouth/hair etc; can pull a picture together nicely. It kind of takes some trial and error to find a good balance.

If anyone else has some good examples of what I'm talking about that'd obviously be pretty helpful too, haha :]

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
Hand Sketch in Ink: Your outside...border...lines whatever you want to call them are very distracting. They don't add to the composition, and in some places they add unnecessary bulk to your form. The lines defining your fingernail edges are very dark and flatten your image, while the shadows underneath the fingers don't conform to the shape you're espressing in the palm. Mostly that one under the ring finger. The fleshy part of your palm (the lower part o' the thumb) is...off. I think the wrist is too high- the junctions of your fingers to palm don't look natural. Don't outline where your shadows start, and don't outline all fingers; finally, the strokes you use to shade are distracting and messy.

Female Reclined Figure: The way this face is obscured is very distracting. The lower part of the face is more in shadow, suggesting she's got some serious under-bite happening, and it's like i can't look away, lol. The elbow to wrist is too short on the forearm, your fingers go way high on the other hand. It doesn't look like she's resting on the ground; mostly because the lines of her hip closest to the ground still show the hip coming out, which if she was touching the ground, would be significantly flattened. Hip to knee is too short, and that whole upper edge from hip to shoulder doesn't look right. I'd have to see the original to determine why.

Female 3Q Rear View Sketch: Hmmm... okay. Arm closest to us doesn't look connected, as Zydala said. The armpit muscles are missing, so that connection just looks tacked on. That same shoulder blade looks a little to high. The farther hand doesn't look connected at all. Your left shoulder indicates that the shoulder to elbow bicep section would be rotated some 10-15 degrees down. you have it right now where it looks like it's connected to the bottom of the jaw. I like the contour lines you've used on the chest area; but everything below the ribcage is...screwy. You're missing a butt muscle, the other butt looks like a boob, the shading on the tail bone area is way too dark, the hip size seems very very small.

Hope this helps.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Thanks, I'll work on these. I really appreciate the critiques, evidently they're few and far between for me. Hard-hitting ones are the most constructive too.

I really see the cast shadows you mentioned on the palm looking off kilter; they are too flat. The messiness is also something I disliked about it. Cleaning up my work will, especially lines, be my focus now.

Reclined figure: Will try and rework the thigh to a natural, flattened pose. I've always struggled with proper thigh length, so I see I need to get that problem solved still. It seems a stray line is screwing up the face's value. Again, I'm going to concentrate on clean lines.

3/4: Okay, I realize the arm is bad. Need to concentrate on angles and limb projection. I've also noticed both shoulderblades are very off, not just the further-- closest is not integrated with the deltoid well, and it's creating a visual pit. Also, I would explain the lower area is from not adding enough guides, but the hip is intended to be turned at an odd angle. Still, your critique applies, I will work on it.

Thanks again, don't want to sound unappreciative, it's just a lot of information to process. That's good though; this is a good critique.