• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tips and questions about FFXIV

Zorrena

Hello so I've been hearing about this game for years and only in the last few months has it been catching my interest as I've been wanting to play another mmo type game. I was wondering since my day job requires most of the morning hours and usually bleeds into the evening I don't have too much time during the week to play is there a time limit as doing a Google search gives conflicting answers of somewhere between unlimited and 14 days from when you first login to when you first create your character.
I also was curious if there were any tips for stuff I should look into doing before anything else as I know basically nothing about the game itself.
Oh and a few other things is it possible to swap servers incase a friend wants to play with me or someone from here?
Can I rename my character later?
Lastly after character creation am I locked to a class as in wow if you picked warlock for instance but wanted to try out a different class you needed to create a whole new character and start over.

Thank you for reading my wall of text and for replying if you do.

Hound-of-chulainn

Hello so I've been hearing about this game for years and only in the last few months has it been catching my interest as I've been wanting to play another mmo type game. I was wondering since my day job requires most of the morning hours and usually bleeds into the evening I don't have too much time during the week to play is there a time limit as doing a Google search gives conflicting answers of somewhere between unlimited and 14 days from when you first login to when you first create your character.
I also was curious if there were any tips for stuff I should look into doing before anything else as I know basically nothing about the game itself.
Oh and a few other things is it possible to swap servers incase a friend wants to play with me or someone from here?
Can I rename my character later?
Lastly after character creation am I locked to a class as in wow if you picked warlock for instance but wanted to try out a different class you needed to create a whole new character and start over.

Thank you for reading my wall of text and for replying if you do.
So if you have an old account it's 14 days, if you have a new account it's free until level 60, then you have to convert your account to monthly to buy/play the expansions. Changing names is a premium feature, it's $10 and you can do it on mogstation, which is the website you access your account features.

You can temporarily visit servers, but you need to pay to change data centers, Data center visitation should be coming this winter though.
Basically there are 3 regions for the data centers they use, and each data center has a handful of servers. right now I can only visit players on other servers in the Primal data center,

but after the new expansion comes out I should be able to visit the other North American servers on Aether and Crystal .

You're not locked to a class though. After level 15 you can change your class, but some of the expansion classes start at higher levels, like red mage at 50, astrologan at 30, and machinist at 50/ I'm level 80 in Machinist, Miner and Botanist, mid 70's with Monk, Gunbreaker and all the crafting classes except for one, and mid 60's with Astro, I could go back and level up more classes, but I have almost all of the roles covered of I need to be in a party. :)

If you happen to be on Primal when you make your account, I'll be happy to show you the ropes once you unlock dungeons. :)

Zorrena

So if you have an old account it's 14 days, if you have a new account it's free until level 60, then you have to convert your account to monthly to buy/play the expansions. Changing names is a premium feature, it's $10 and you can do it on mogstation, which is the website you access your account features.

You can temporarily visit servers, but you need to pay to change data centers, Data center visitation should be coming this winter though.
Basically there are 3 regions for the data centers they use, and each data center has a handful of servers. right now I can only visit players on other servers in the Primal data center,

but after the new expansion comes out I should be able to visit the other North American servers on Aether and Crystal .

You're not locked to a class though. After level 15 you can change your class, but some of the expansion classes start at higher levels, like red mage at 50, astrologan at 30, and machinist at 50/ I'm level 80 in Machinist, Miner and Botanist, mid 70's with Monk, Gunbreaker and all the crafting classes except for one, and mid 60's with Astro, I could go back and level up more classes, but I have almost all of the roles covered of I need to be in a party. :)

If you happen to be on Primal when you make your account, I'll be happy to show you the ropes once you unlock dungeons. :)
Hello and thanks for answering all my questions. So I tried the game yesterday and joined the Aether - gilgamesh area as it was the only one there I could select. However I only played for about 30 mins I don't mind jumping onto the primal servers as you may possibly be able to help me out a bit and as the server I joined nobody was talking at all and seemed to know what to do already. It sounds neat all those classes you mentioned though. So I'll try the game some more when I get out of work later and see what I can do as I just tried to make create a character in 3 different primal ones and it says I cant make a character there right now for some reason.

Does it matter which one under primal I pick? As I know in wow at least different servers got used for different people like RP, raiders, and beginners.

Hound-of-chulainn

Hello and thanks for answering all my questions. So I tried the game yesterday and joined the Aether - gilgamesh area as it was the only one there I could select. However I only played for about 30 mins I don't mind jumping onto the primal servers as you may possibly be able to help me out a bit and as the server I joined nobody was talking at all and seemed to know what to do already. It sounds neat all those classes you mentioned though. So I'll try the game some more when I get out of work later and see what I can do as I just tried to make create a character in 3 different primal ones and it says I cant make a character there right now for some reason.

Does it matter which one under primal I pick? As I know in wow at least different servers got used for different people like RP, raiders, and beginners.
That one I'm actually not sure of, I know that one server in particular is known for ERP in Limsa Lominsa like the infamous down in WoW, but all I can tell you is that it's not Leviathan. You don't need a specific server since you can visit them, but there are certain things you can't do on visited worlds, they talk about it on this page, so I'd recommend Leviathan since you wont need to jump back and forth.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/contentsguide/worldvisit/
Once you've gotten set up, PM me and I'll send you a friend request. ^_^