• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tips/critique on my art? (New to furry art)

squeakshka

I've recently sort of gotten into drawing furry art, and prior only really drew like...animals if my OC's had one or if it was a dragon or something, but never furries? I always admired the style and really wanted to give a try at but honestly I don't know where to go or if there's certain uh... 'guide lines' as it were or if I'm doing ok with what I'm already doing.

1508451748.vishka_bat-gorllowres.png
1491375248.vishka_furry-testlwores.png

please ignore the whole uh...price thing on them. It's from awhile ago now and these are the only two polished images I have of my attempt at the general furry-style.
I guess I'm mostly curious about how to draw the faces/if they look ok as they are and maybe if any one had any other critiques?
Any sort of help or suggestion is appreciated ^^'

Mosie

Werewolf Hugging Pro
think you are doing fine coloring and shading wise (unlike me :,D) I would practice proportions with the muzzle, and if you want add small scratches of fur to the skin to add texture. Everyone has their own method of drawing them so it's good to use reference pictures of the actual animal or people's art. I use references all the time, even for small things.

squeakshka

think you are doing fine coloring and shading wise (unlike me :,D) I would practice proportions with the muzzle, and if you want add small scratches of fur to the skin to add texture. Everyone has their own method of drawing them so it's good to use reference pictures of the actual animal or people's art. I use references all the time, even for small things.
aah, thank you very much! yeah the muzzles do seem a bit small, so i'll keep trying to work on that.
and when you say scratches of fur, you mean like tuffs of definition of the fluff, yeah?

Mosie

Werewolf Hugging Pro
@squeakshka

yeah, sorta like what you did with the bat's head/upper chest fur, but you can experiment with different patterns of lines to depict how the hair feels/texture

Krikri

I think you're doing just great as it is. People draw fur in different ways - some just small tufts like you have, some go into more volume - also depends on the species. I'd recommend browsing around FA to find artists who's style you like and see how they handle it, pick up some inspiration with what works for you. Also, as far as I've seen muzzles go, I think the second picture looks good as it is - it's more style than an issue here I'd say.

squeakshka

I think you're doing just great as it is. People draw fur in different ways - some just small tufts like you have, some go into more volume - also depends on the species. I'd recommend browsing around FA to find artists who's style you like and see how they handle it, pick up some inspiration with what works for you. Also, as far as I've seen muzzles go, I think the second picture looks good as it is - it's more style than an issue here I'd say.

Mhm, okay. I've been looking around a lot more and finding some that suit my interest and others that I could learn from.
I also agree with you on the muzzle-thing to some degree with the second, given she's a fox. I drew her from a IRL photo, and they have small muzzles though I think I should also keep in mind some people for their own characters may not like that as much which is where the others were coming from.

ResolutionBlaze

Angry Local
Banned
Looks very good and the prices seem very reasonable for the product quality. In fact I'd say you could probably increase the buyout total.

TheArchiver

Ace Documenter
You draw exceptionally and your flaws are quite minor for the samples you have provided here. As far as I can notice, you just need to tighten the anatomy on the cat woman. In particular her arms.
1491375248.vishka_furry-testlwores.png

Try to relax the muscle groups when a less muscular character is not so tense like she is here and understand where the groups overlap at varying angles. Do mind the length of your limbs as well. It can be difficult when they are performing asymmetrical actions, but take your time. As I told another user (and at your level, I'm sure you have heard this) be sure to horizontally flip your canvas at regular intervals particularly during your rough/sketch phase to note any inconsistencies you may have inadvertently neglected at your original working angle. You will catch those nagging oddities like a falcon.

I think you are at a skill level where an additional few moments of scrutiny with a brief reference to the side would help you tighten up these minor inaccuracies. Please continue. You do splendid work.