• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tips for trimming fur with scissors?

lilypawpads

I'm currently trying to make myself some puffy handpaws. I have all my pieces cut out (from Curlworks' pattern, might I add) and now I need to shave the fingers. I've tried using my dad's old buzz shaver but since it was old, it didn't work very well. Like at all. I don't want to spend a lot of money on another shaver or a pet clipper so I've read that it's possible to do it with scissors. How should I go about this? Should I look up tips on shaving dogs and apply what I can to fursuits? Do I need to dedicate one pair of scissors solely for trimming fur? And and all tips and guidance is appreciated, thank you for reading!

Faexie

Rara for short :)
You could use thining shears (as shown here https://www.holleewoodhair.com/2013/08/01/hair-cutting-tools/) or use a razor comb if you can find one (I never used of saw a razor comb, so I don't know how hard it is to use and what results it gives though).

It's best that you don't use your average scisors though, Because the fur will end up with a really weird texture, uless you are extremely patient and cut it in very small bits at a time (and even then it's easy to mess up).

Be sure to watch a lot of tutorials too!