• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tired of being treated as an idiot or as a jerk when I disagree with people...

Faexie

Rara for short :)
I love debating and discussing potitical and philosophical topics.

It allows me to give to others some pieces of the puzzle they might be missing, and to be corrected when I'm wrong. It helps me get closer to the truth IMO.

When done right it's very healthy. But most of the time it gets toxic, with people becoming agressive and treating me either like an idiot or a bigot, or both. I don't even have to disagree sometimes, I just have to question what they say and I get hell for it.

I don't want to live in a thought bubble where everyone agrees with me, I want my beliefs to evolve by being confronted by different ideas, but it's hard to keep doing this when everyone gets angry at me.

I get this from both sides of the political spectrum, but I find the left to be worse, and that's coming from a left leaning person... But then again maybe it's because I interact with more left leaning people than right leaning ones.

The "Shy" Dragon

nervous dragon or smth
I'm not sure (or want to know) why this happened but hopefully it stops.... so many confusions...!

It allows me to give to others some pieces of the puzzle they might be missing, and to be corrected when I'm wrong. It helps me get closer to the truth IMO.

When done right it's very healthy. But most of the time it gets toxic, with people becoming agressive and treating me either like an idiot or a bigot, or both. I don't even have to disagree sometimes, I just have to question what they say and I get hell for it.

I don't want to live in a thought bubble where everyone agrees with me, I want my beliefs to evolve by being confronted by different ideas, but it's hard to keep doing this when everyone gets angry at me.

I get this from both sides of the political spectrum, but I find the left to be worse, and that's coming from a left leaning person... But then again maybe it's because I interact with more left leaning people than right leaning ones.
Is this an online only experience? Or is this an issue where you live too?

krawgr

Quebrantahuesos
Agreed.

I've stopped talking about anything remotely controversial online or irl, the people I've met from both sides ended every conversation with ''we have freedom of speech so I can say you are wrong'' and/ or insults.

Why would you get yourself into a debate when you are not open to hear someone else, I don't understand.

Same here, I’ve generally limited political and philosophical discussion to close family, super close friends, and some school professors. I enjoy philosophical talk too, if you ever want to talk, feel free to pm me :)

Stadt

Eeriee the Wendigo
100% the same. I used to love to debate, but people are really hostile and not very open and take debating against them very personally.

Yakamaru

Yee to the haw
It's not just you, Ramona.

Hearing other ideas and other points of view is one of the best ways for personal growth. Some however aren't interested in hearing and would rather preach as if you are ignorant.

Tho it also depends on what kind of information/arguments you are given. Some of it is just outright bullshit(and especially now with the overload of useless and/or incorrect information), so you need to question to some degree the validity of everything you see, hear and read. I just call it "having a bullshit filter".

Furryfox777

Gentle as snow
Why would you get yourself into a debate when you are not open to hear someone else, I don't understand.
Because it's delightfully simple to impose that you are right.

I enjoy discussing and debating things, both sharing my opinions on topics and hearing others. While I of course hold my own beliefs to be true, I'm always willing to consider that I might be wrong about something. Opening myself to outside ideas and conflicting opinions is a means for me to strengthen my own conviction. I learn more about why I feel or believe something when it is challenged. But being open to other ideas and opinions also means I expand my world view and don't end up living in a bubble.

It'd be nice if some people could be less entrenched and aggressive when met with conflicting opinions, but it's just part of the package, I think ^^
I attribute it to people putting great stock in their opinions, political or otherwise. So much so, that their opinion becomes critical to who they are - and thus, disagreeing with them is a personal affront.
I don't hold any political identity, I just adhere to the principles I believe to be right. And what I believe to be right can change and evolve along with me, so it's not an issue to me when someone disagrees, it's an opportunity to learn :D

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I feel like discussions on the internet often just end up being opportunities for malign parties to spread propaganda.
I don't really initiate political discussions at all online; I only end up trying to 'quarantine' the spread of propaganda. :\

Pogo

I pounce i bounce.
If someones not up for a proper discussion let em be. Words alone rarely sway someone who's totally convinced of their own beliefs. You'll find folk informed enough and open enough to engage in discussions on occasion. Hope you get to sharpen your smarts with some intelligent folk.

As for me, i ain't opinionated enough to engage in topics like that. Oh well. :]

I

Infrarednexus

I stopped engaging in political debates primarily for this reason. I've gotten tired of the name calling and angry mobs online.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

I hope I did not offend you! I try to be polite when talking politics and when I get too emotional I try to back off to pull myself back together to give a polite response.

Juju-z

50% metal, 45% Feathers, 5% Owl
Assuming everyone sticks to some ground rules, a 2 or 4 or even 10 person debate can be quite civil, however I have never seen a forum topic where it works out like that. Everyone is hunting for the slightest miss phrase, or something they can misinterpret, to push their own idea rather then try to understand the other sides of a topic and have others understand their own.

Leading to a lot of people who are more arguing at themselves then debating with each other.

It's really not worth the stress, unless its a pre-planned thing.

Alv

Banned
Banned

Conversations in the internet, unfortunately, are extremely prone to explosions. That has a lot to do with the average person who is on the internet to begin with... and then the fact that it's very easy for mob-rule to take over, with people rapidly forming factions, cliques, and so forth.

I too enjoy stimulating conversations, but I pick my battles very carefully now. I only discuss matters with people that I think will do it in a relatively calm, rational, and logical manner. I don't enjoy discussing things with people who manipulate me or others or attempt to use tribalism to get their way. A level playing field, with me and another person freely exchanging ideas and opinions and facts, can be most enjoyable.

I used to try to see arguments through to the end, but that was very unhealthy for my sense of self. So, I tend to avoid such argument and distance myself from people who can't behave or are clearly trolling.

Faexie

Rara for short :)
I hope I did not offend you! I try to be polite when talking politics and when I get too emotional I try to back off to pull myself back together to give a polite response.
Oh, no, I never had any problems with you :) Or at least none that I remember.

Assuming everyone sticks to some ground rules, a 2 or 4 or even 10 person debate can be quite civil, however I have never seen a forum topic where it works out like that. Everyone is hunting for the slightest miss phrase, or something they can misinterpret, to push their own idea rather then try to understand the other sides of a topic and have others understand their own.

Leading to a lot of people who are more arguing at themselves then debating with each other.

It's really not worth the stress, unless its a pre-planned thing.
Actually I saw more civil debates in forums like this one that in any other kind of social media. Aside from a few bad apples poking in, whose names I won't tell, most debates I have had here went surprisingly well.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer

"Hot topics" can occasionally bring hot tempers with them.. (it's a given). As there's more "heat in the kitchen" when people are baking a cake, as opposed to heating up a can of soup, right?

Cakey topics: politics, gun control, social issues, religious issues, and the like.
Soupy topics: the weather, fursuit techniques, artwork, video games, technology, and writing.

Just have some soup; and avoid the dessert cake afterwards; if the attitudes of the kitchen chef's bother you. ;)

C

CrookedCroc

Yeah, sadly online debating (and sometimes conversations) can be get pretty nasty since there's no human contact while talking.
Sometimes it feels like some people think that it's just about trying to villainize others and refusing to try and see their point of view while acting smug.
For some it's hard to empathize with different viewpoints while being behind a computer screen.

Kumali

Lupine-American
Hearing other ideas and other points of view is one of the best ways for personal growth. Some however aren't interested in hearing and would rather preach as if you are ignorant.

Indeed. Some even feel threatened so easily that they immediately start throwing around childish insults like "moron" if someone posts links to relevant news articles that they don't want to know about.

Last edited:
A

Autumn the Squirrel

I have very left-leaning political views myself, but I don't call myself a Liberal unless I just feel like simplifying my beliefs.

The problem is that anyone who allies themselves with a specific side of a political argument (and, as such, refuses to look at potentially good ideas from the other side) is that they tend to parrot those arguments out of perceived obligation. You'll rarely find an anti-gun Conservative or an anti-abortion Liberal because that isn't how they're supposed to feel.

Because people tend to view politics as an "us vs them" thing where everyone needs to side with a team, they'll defend their arguments so passionately that they'll refuse to listen to that which is against them.

If you want a civil conversation about politics then the internet is the absolute worst place to go.

Lexiand

Werewolf a Tophat
Thats why its best to not discuss things like this with people online. Because who knows if they are total babies or not

Shadow of Bucephalus

Banned
Banned

I've pondered, written, then deleted, more replies to your OP, than I think I ever have for any other similar topic.

Lots of folks already said most of the things I was going to, so I won't repeat.

'Debate'. This is not a bad word, or one that should be shunned.
Many important things I've learned in this life came-about due to good debate: presenting a different viewpoint in a logical and intelligent way, then giving others the CHOICE to believe or not.

I'd suggest this for you and anyone else that's feeling ostracized for trying to debate-

Maintain your integrity and poise. Expect shit to be flung at/towards you by the ignorant monkeys, oh, wait, 'People', who feel threatened by your ideas.

Expect people to challenge your presentation. If they don't, you're probably not debating a worthy topic in the first place!

When you begin feeling burnt-out from all the uphill challenges, and the joy of debating is superseded by the negativity directed at you, personally?

Take as many steps *BACK* as you need, remove yourself from the angst and stress. Enjoy life, pursue your interests, and don't take another dip in the 'Debate Pool' until you're damned good and ready.

:)

KingBananaWart

Many of my experiences talking about subjects outside of small talk have ended in tragedy. Sometimes even small talk isn't safe, depending on the topic. I'd like the freedom to have an open conversation about anything, without having to judge or be judged, since we're all flawed human beings stumbling for enough answers to make it through another day, every day. I am open to having my mind changed, and most enjoy the company of those who are equally open minded.

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
h66BB73F4