• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

To flip or not to flip- pattern making question

Hello all- I'm working on my second head now. One of the improvements I'd like to make this time is have the fur fit the resin blank more tightly, so that the mask has a better shape overall. I used DVC's tutorial online to make the pattern for the first mask, in which only one side of the head is duct taped and patterned, then mirrored/flipped to make the pattern for the other side.

Question: Is there a point to just patterning the entire head? Will this come up with a better fitting pattern? My blank is not perfectly symmetrical by any means. I also worry that I might run into trouble with the hood if I *don't* flip the pattern, as I do want the hood to be perfectly symmetrical!

(Here's a post on my first build if that helps matters at all: www.sanssoucistudios.com: Assembling my first fursuit wolf head with dreamvision creations parts
http://www.sanssoucistudios.com/blog/adventures-in-fursuit-head-building
TIA!

I **did** wind up patterning the whole head. I made the left side pattern by flipping the right side pattern and tracing it onto masking tape covered aluminum foil. It fit the other side pretty well. One thing I did learn, however, was pieces I had been planning on making by flipping worked better by making them as two pieces, specifically the piece for the lower jaw and the front of the neck.

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
I think it depends more from a standpoint of fur patterning than actual construction. if you need it to fit tighter, that's a matter of getting your seam allowances neater and working with a less stretchy fabric. I prefer the duct tape method with a full-head pattern, BUT I could see the upside to the flipping method- It will help smooth out variations between the left and right sides of your head base. If you create a pattern that encompasses the whole thing, you're also going to be patterning based on the asymmetrical qualities of it. If you pattern half, then mirror it, your fur will be more symmetrical. And, since fur is forviging and good at hiding flaws, the end product would be a bit cleaner looking.

Pros and cons to each, I think in the end it's whatever fits your style the best. :3

I think it depends more from a standpoint of fur patterning than actual construction. if you need it to fit tighter, that's a matter of getting your seam allowances neater and working with a less stretchy fabric. I prefer the duct tape method with a full-head pattern, BUT I could see the upside to the flipping method- It will help smooth out variations between the left and right sides of your head base. If you create a pattern that encompasses the whole thing, you're also going to be patterning based on the asymmetrical qualities of it. If you pattern half, then mirror it, your fur will be more symmetrical. And, since fur is forviging and good at hiding flaws, the end product would be a bit cleaner looking.

Pros and cons to each, I think in the end it's whatever fits your style the best. :3

Thank you for the info!