• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

dogryme6

Duality Fluff Dragon
Let's say you have an old character you want to bring back.
In this case it's my Dacutter. He used to be a Werehog, but then, well, I never had him do anything with his stretchy arms, and nobody needs more crappy fan characters that are always under the shadow of the copyright hammer of doom.
Dacutter.JPG
So I changed him. To a wolf.
(Technically) Still A Sonic.JPG
... He's always been a very uninteresting hero. In his world there's this big rat villain (Darg) to stop, because he's mining on the volcano. But instead of going after him he just cools the volcano from the inside with frost magic, and that stops the problem (for now).
So now I want to change him more, see if I can't make him more interesting. But I'm having trouble thinking of anything. And those yellow clothes are very annoying. I want to make them green instead.
So first I got rid of his clothes. (Don't worry, it should be safe.)
Dacutter the Wolf WIP.png
... So anyways... Now what? How do I do... Um... The Thing. Where you make characters more interesting.
... Maybe I dumped everything into my current dragon fursona and now there's nothing left for him... Crap.

Basically, the issue is, I'm completely out of ideas and now I'm stuck with a stupid "hero" wolf that I can't do anything with. Advise?

Last edited:
G

Ginza

Make conflicts, give him some flaws. Work with his character. Simply role playing as, or writing about, a character can help to develop them. Make him a hero, as he is at his core, but explain how he is a hero. Is he your classic superhero with special powers? Is he an average wolf with a good heart, who does the right thing? Is he just a normal wolf who is put into a position in which he must save lives? What makes him a hero? Does he think he's a hero? Do his thoughts match his actions? By that I mean, is he always a do-good kind of dude in his mind? Or is he perhaps more bitter, and resentful?

Developing an antagonist can also really help shape your protagonist. As in the end, character is built from conflict. Who is the villain? What are his intentions? How will the villain I through with his plans? Why does your hero wolf want to stop the villain? What would he get out of it? If you wanted to make it all the more interesting, you could even throw in an ulterior motive! For example, maybe the wolf didn't stop the villain out of the goodness of his heart, but rather, because he knew he would get a bounty. Or perhaps, he is somewhat of a sociopathic hero, and was looking to kill someone, but didn't realize doing so, would save a multitude of others. Perhaps he was an accidental hero, and had no idea that what he'd done, had killed a major villain.

There's truly, so many options out there. Simply writing, and giving your hero a few flaws, can help. This wolf's personality can even overlap a bit with your fursona's. I know some of my characters share personality traits and behavioral discrepancies with my sona. It's okay if that's the case. It's simply your job to make his story different, and his actions defined.

Good luck!

Skakuna

Got tea?
Just making sure I understood.
Dacutter is a wolf who can use frost magic. His opponent is a nameless rat who is mining the volcano and needs to be stopped.
That's what I undrstood.

Well... if you want to keep the story and have him as a character of finished tale, then ask yourself about a few things:
1. His past.
What about his family? Any siblings? What were their relations like? Where are they? How did Dacutter learn the magic? Did he overuse it at some point? Just a brief backstory can do real magic here.
2. What is he like?
Give him more character traits. Is he egoistic? Is his self-esteem high, low, too high? Maybe he's short-tempered? What are his hobbies? Maybe he likes gardening? Or maybe he's all about workout? Try to imagine him in different scenarios. What he would do on a date? How would he ask for a beer in a pub? He just broke something and nobody noticed for now, what does he do?
3. Where is he now?
By 'now' I mean the time the story is happening. Any friends helped him out? Maybe he has a significant other? Why is he the one who has to stop the villian? Was he chosen or was it his decision? Does he own any vehicle? Where did he start his journey?
If you decided not to follow the story, then just think what he has now - where he lives, what his job is, if he does any at all, if he has friends etc. Normal stuff.
4. What is his plan?
How does he plan to get to the volcano? He wants to rambo his way in or is he more of a ninja who just sneaks in?
5. What next?
What does he plan to do after stopping the rat? Coming back home? Starting his own business or family? Journey around the world? Or maybe taking the place of the rat and becoming the villan himself? In all fairytales they just 'live happily ever after' but life is no fairytale. How does he imagine his life after it's over?

And about the story itself. Think about the world, is it big or small, do they have electricity or is it a fantasyland with magic as a factor doing the job instead of machines. The culture, history. Are they regular animals? Do they have season turns? Stuff like that.

If you don't plan to keep the story but the character, just think about points 1, 2, 3, and 5. It will help you out a lot. And if you want to see how he would act after all that, you can try and write an rp with someone. But then try not to make your character OP, where he has everything and everything he does ends up great because he's unbeatable and in general too perfect in everything. That kills the fun, you know.

Hope I helped out ^^

dogryme6

Duality Fluff Dragon
Make conflicts, give him some flaws. Work with his character. Simply role playing as, or writing about, a character can help to develop them. Make him a hero, as he is at his core, but explain how he is a hero. Is he your classic superhero with special powers? Is he an average wolf with a good heart, who does the right thing? Is he just a normal wolf who is put into a position in which he must save lives? What makes him a hero? Does he think he's a hero? Do his thoughts match his actions? By that I mean, is he always a do-good kind of dude in his mind? Or is he perhaps more bitter, and resentful?

Developing an antagonist can also really help shape your protagonist. As in the end, character is built from conflict. Who is the villain? What are his intentions? How will the villain I through with his plans? Why does your hero wolf want to stop the villain? What would he get out of it? If you wanted to make it all the more interesting, you could even throw in an ulterior motive! For example, maybe the wolf didn't stop the villain out of the goodness of his heart, but rather, because he knew he would get a bounty. Or perhaps, he is somewhat of a sociopathic hero, and was looking to kill someone, but didn't realize doing so, would save a multitude of others. Perhaps he was an accidental hero, and had no idea that what he'd done, had killed a major villain.

There's truly, so many options out there. Simply writing, and giving your hero a few flaws, can help. This wolf's personality can even overlap a bit with your fursona's. I know some of my characters share personality traits and behavioral discrepancies with my sona. It's okay if that's the case. It's simply your job to make his story different, and his actions defined.

Good luck!
That could work...
I feel like I want to classify Dacutter as a classic superhero with the power to create anything made out of ice. He does want to do the right thing, I'm not sure if he's self aware enough to know he's a hero. Just a guy there to protect the land.
Darg the Rat is the president of a private enterprise. Technically it was a necessity, as the rats became poor after an event involving a meteor had made the crystal currency they used lose all it's value. (by making too many crystals.) They began looking for more valuable minerals and then struck gold at the volcano. Blinded by greed and ignorant to the dangers, Darg vowed he would dig every last penny out of it, and decided he would also use his wealth to fund a military that would protect his endeavor from "heroes" that intend to stop him. So it's a race against time to stop Darg's mining operation before the island's volcano explodes and ruins the island's surface. Due to the dire task at hand, Dacutter has to fight through a lot of enemies to get there.
But in terms of personality, Dacutter's a bit lacking... He's sort of like other happy-go-lucky video game heroes that know that the fate of the world is in their hands, but they're still having fun on the adventure, at least as long as they don't lose anything along the way. He's kinda just there to stop the disaster.
I guess his flaw is that he doesn't plan for the future and goes along on a whim. That's pretty evident for the short term and long term, as he doesn't really Stop Darg as much as he just stops the volcano from erupting. Darg does get thrown in jail, along with his other team members, but they get free again later, and they go back to doing what they were before. So then a different team of heroes goes in to finish the job instead...
Just making sure I understood.
Dacutter is a wolf who can use frost magic. His opponent is a nameless rat who is mining the volcano and needs to be stopped.
That's what I undrstood.

Well... if you want to keep the story and have him as a character of finished tale, then ask yourself about a few things:
1. His past.
What about his family? Any siblings? What were their relations like? Where are they? How did Dacutter learn the magic? Did he overuse it at some point? Just a brief backstory can do real magic here.
2. What is he like?
Give him more character traits. Is he egoistic? Is his self-esteem high, low, too high? Maybe he's short-tempered? What are his hobbies? Maybe he likes gardening? Or maybe he's all about workout? Try to imagine him in different scenarios. What he would do on a date? How would he ask for a beer in a pub? He just broke something and nobody noticed for now, what does he do?
3. Where is he now?
By 'now' I mean the time the story is happening. Any friends helped him out? Maybe he has a significant other? Why is he the one who has to stop the villian? Was he chosen or was it his decision? Does he own any vehicle? Where did he start his journey?
If you decided not to follow the story, then just think what he has now - where he lives, what his job is, if he does any at all, if he has friends etc. Normal stuff.
4. What is his plan?
How does he plan to get to the volcano? He wants to rambo his way in or is he more of a ninja who just sneaks in?
5. What next?
What does he plan to do after stopping the rat? Coming back home? Starting his own business or family? Journey around the world? Or maybe taking the place of the rat and becoming the villan himself? In all fairytales they just 'live happily ever after' but life is no fairytale. How does he imagine his life after it's over?

And about the story itself. Think about the world, is it big or small, do they have electricity or is it a fantasyland with magic as a factor doing the job instead of machines. The culture, history. Are they regular animals? Do they have season turns? Stuff like that.

If you don't plan to keep the story but the character, just think about points 1, 2, 3, and 5. It will help you out a lot. And if you want to see how he would act after all that, you can try and write an rp with someone. But then try not to make your character OP, where he has everything and everything he does ends up great because he's unbeatable and in general too perfect in everything. That kills the fun, you know.

Hope I helped out ^^
Not exactly a nameless villain... But yeah, that's the gist.
1: Dacutter was born in a small family of wolves that lived on the icy mountain. Black wolves are very uncommon in the area, so he may be an anomaly. He was probably happy with what few family members he had, and just grew up afterwards. Dacutter learned magic from fairy wolves that lived in the mountain, so the culture of the area is more magic-oriented. They don't have any elemental preferences, but dazzled by the beauty of ice and crystals, Dacutter had chosen to learn the elemental school of ice. However, it was quite redundant on the ice mountain, so he's told to use it in other biome areas. Thus, not as much training as he could've had.
2: Perhaps a little egotistical. Self esteem's high, temper is not short. For hobbies, he's a lumberjack and carpenter, mostly sticking with woodworking and such. Though, they don't call him Dacutter for nothing, and while he doesn't do it often, he has sculpted ice statues before. He's also a bit buff, so perhaps a bit of strongman stuff is mixed in there too. He usually tries to act cool a lot of the time, he might get called lame for having too much style over substance, and might be a bit of a Johny Bravo when it comes to dating. He might ask for a beer in a smooth way, but would otherwise have a more jolly personality in a bar. And if he Broke something? He'd probably just build or repair the same thing out of ice and leave it there, hoping nobody notices or minds.
3: Dacutter comes before Dogryme's adventure, so in terms of current timeline events he's a retired warrior. However, he was still requested to assist the front lines of Jack City during the war a few years after his heroic act, so he can be considered a veteran. He has had friends that helped him. Lipuppy, his mentor, used forcefields to block devastating attacks. And his Fiance from a reverse dimension named Rettucad also helped blaze the path for him. He's pretty much allied with every other team except Dogryme and Darg, for the obvious reasons that Darg is a villain and the enemy, and Dogryme and his team are crazy radicals on no one's side but their own. He made the choice on his own because he knew the volcano was bad news. Does not own any vehicles, except maybe a snowbike. Started journey in the Forest far to the southwest of his destination.
4: He kinda just rambos his way in, hacking and slashing opponents to get there.
5: He intends to retire and relax for the rest of his days after his adventure. There's absolutely no chance of Dacutter taking Darg's place, since Darg is corporate and nature-destroying by, well, nature. Heh. And Dacutter's a more nature-based hero. Dogryme on the other hand, would have had at least two opportunities to face-heel turn.
The world's... A little small. Darg Mountain and Jack City are primarily technology based areas, Agitha Orchard and the mountain at the island's center are nature based, and Santa Mountain and the Crystal Desert are magic based. So, a mish-mash of elements. A ton of anthro animals with plenty of species being immigrants to the island, a culture based on individualism and doing what works best for you as long as you aren't breaking the law, not a whole lot of seasons changing.
That sounds pretty good so far. And of course, Dacutter should not be overpowered. He doesn't do a whole lot of thinking, thinks he's cool when he's not, and can be outmatched by speedy and flying enemies. Also, does not like using conventional weapons.

Skakuna

Got tea?
See, you have something more :D Keep asking yourself questions in 'what he would do' matter and think of specific moments as detailed as you can (try to create whole conversations word by word, it also helps with expressing character's... well... character xD) and after a while you should be happy with the resoults ;)