• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

To thos the who have made sonas but no art skills

Tai Gha

Hi all!

So I've recently joined here and have had a lot more time to think on sonas and what not now.

When I started I just picked an OC I like which was made on a whim. However I've been steering to the "it doesn't feel like me, just a character" sort.

I'm not the most artistic, and was wondering.
Where would be a good place to go to make a sona design (templates, ect.)
I have the species thought out, I'm just struggling to bring life to the fella.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 111470

Cheers,
I suppose thinking on it, going the way of paid work may be the better consensus in the way of general character designing route yeah?

It depends - I am very paranoid about how people draw my monkey's snout. When I pay someone, I usually have them remake his nose and mouth a few times. While, if the art is free, I don't do that. That said though, I do love all the free pieces I have of my sona.

Tai Gha

It depends - I am very paranoid about how people draw my monkey's snout. When I pay someone, I usually have them remake his nose and mouth a few times. While, if the art is free, I don't do that. That said though, I do love all the free pieces I have of my sona.
Yeah I totally understand the paranoia with styling and what not, definitely understand to not push on freebies since a lot of love and effort went into it.
Thank you though buddy! I'll have a browse around abit!

Yastreb

My understanding is that there are basically three ways to get art of your character.

Use a free base. Easy and cheap, but the result is not as good-looking.
Commission an artist. Much better results and not much personal effort is needed, but it costs money.
Learn to draw by yourself. As much art as you want for free, but it obivously takes a lot of work.

PC Master Race

I would recommend this https://www.heroforge.com/ if you haven't known about it yet, it's amazing. You basically get to make 3D models of any char you want, looking like action figures. Fully customizable colors, and a lot of models (head, body type, legs, even centaur too) and poses to work with.
Just for examples, here are mine :

Kinare

RAWR
So what I did when I first decided to get a visual of my sona done is I drew out a pretty shitty idea of what I wanted her to look like, then went to an artist who was willing to draw her based on that and an accompanying text description to explain the crap I was showing them. Many artists won't work without visuals or will charge extra to work off of text-only (citing it as they're making up a custom character for you), so if you can do the same as I did you may have better luck. It probably helped that all of my sona's parts relate to real life big cats, so even if I didn't draw her well the artist was still able to Google reference images of the real cat parts to use.

zenmaldita

always hungry
I've made lots of characters based on the customer's text descriptions alone
and while fullbodies are expensive,

you can negotiate a bust/headshot/face design so you have some solid ground to work with later. it's a lot cheaper than a fullbody design
here's what I did for vaush's claude

lemme know if you'd like to do this
I believe this was $50 when I worked with him but that's a non-colored com.
welp, my lineart is clean af so you can color it by yourself if you like xD

I would recommend this https://www.heroforge.com/ if you haven't known about it yet, it's amazing
ON MY WAY TO HAVE SOME FUN

aomagrat

Homer Simpson draws better than me. So I asked the daughter of my best friend to draw a fursona for me. I told her what I wanted and she drew a few quick sketches, and building on those I ended up with a drawing that I really like. All it cost me was a bottle of rum.

Last edited:

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
Oh My!

I never new about hero forge

I will have to update my stock pfp now

There is so much detail and work that went into that site, I was stunned on how much the character creation depth is.

I hope this looks okay, but they didn't allow me to put actual hair or a wig on my character for some reason (This needed to be a thing)... But here is a makeover of my new OC made by Hero Forge

I may create an account and work on it some more as well as other OCs but this is by far the BEST free character creation site I came across yet.

Thanks much for this. =D

I am terrible at drawing, and my sona is still in a long description form so without further adu.

starbeakheroforge.jpg

Last edited:

fernshiine

You can look up fur affinity main site, or deviantart for free to use bases, otherwise labeled as "F2U" as keyword for searching.
Ooo yes!

I used a base to create my recent sona, Raven, for reference for myself and others. Then I commission others or I just draw my own art. Even if one's art skills (like my own) suck, it's good to draw your sona for practice.

PC Master Race

Oh My!

I never new about hero forge

I will have to update my stock pfp now

There is so much detail and work that went into that site, I was stunned on how much the character creation depth is.

I hope this looks okay, but they didn't allow me to put actual hair or a wig on my character for some reason (This needed to be a thing)... But here is a makeover of my new OC made by Hero Forge

I may create an account and work on it some more as well as other OCs but this is by far the BEST free character creation site I came across yet.

Thanks much for this. =D

I am terrible at drawing, and my sona is still in a long description form so without further adu.

It's always fun to explore it for yourself, but I have a few tips for better colors if you'd like.

Tai Gha

I would recommend this https://www.heroforge.com/ if you haven't known about it yet, it's amazing. You basically get to make 3D models of any char you want, looking like action figures. Fully customizable colors, and a lot of models (head, body type, legs, even centaur too) and poses to work with.
Just for examples, here are mine :

Hey mate, I had a browse on the hero forge. Bloody good suggestion! Many thanks haha

PC Master Race

Hey mate, I had a browse on the hero forge. Bloody good suggestion! Many thanks haha
You bet it is. I've been having too much fun with that, that's for sure.
Thanks to it I've been bringing back all the chars I made back when I was 17, and they all look amazing.

Tai Gha

You bet it is. I've been having too much fun with that, that's for sure.
Thanks to it I've been bringing back all the chars I made back when I was 17, and they all look amazing.
I'll have to show off a new char I've made that I'm.. growing attached to very quickly.

Attachments

• Hero-portrait (1).png
    Hero-portrait (1).png
    236.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Hero-portrait (2).png
    Hero-portrait (2).png
    302.9 KB · Views: 15

PC Master Race

Choose a color (unless it's skin, anything goes ; even fur, leather, scales, etc) and put the "roughness" slide at half (5.0), then check the "metal" box. The color would look darker and much better.
If the color IS metal (gold, brass, etc) then put the slide all the way to the left, at zero.
That's how I colored the ones I posted above.