• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

To those who don't like Metal:

Mercy

Why?

Sure, I know everyone's got their personal tastes for music and not everything is going to appeal to everyone, but I'm curious as to why at least some subgenres don't appeal to the general population.

I, myself, am an avid listener to music, and yeah, people tend to cringe at what I like (The Faceless, Dimmu Borgir, Symphony X, and Rhapsody, just to name a few).

Same reason some people hate country, rock, rap, hip-hop, oldies, classical, and whatever have you...Some people just hate other types of music.

X

Xero108

Some people define metal as stressful music and I can see why when all they listen to is Celine Dion or Nat King Cole.
Personally, I enjoy black metal a lot. I used to listen to simple metal back in 2004, but when I fell on Darkthrone, I swithced over to an even "raw-er" kind of metal.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
I like metal mostly for the instrument work, honestly. However, I've grown to like screaming and growling over time.

I like some metal. Some of it I don't. The deciding factor for me, in general, is the vocals. I haven't got a problem with screaming or death growls or what have you, but there has to be some good singing in the song as well (i.e. All That Remains, Atreyu, et cetera). No vocals at all is fine, too.

PS: Fuck thrash.

<_<

>_>

Screamo, not metal =P

Magikian

Cecret Blown Susiness.
I like some metal. Some of it I don't. The deciding factor for me, in general, is the vocals. I haven't got a problem with screaming or death growls or what have you, but there has to be some good singing in the song as well (i.e. All That Remains, Atreyu, et cetera). No vocals at all is fine, too.

PS: Fuck thrash.

Basically this.

Also, high pitched screaming, the type that sounds like the vocalist hasn't even hit puberty yet.

ShaneO)))

Ha. I thought this would be a flame war when i got here. Nice to see people being civil, anyway I am a fan of metal . Although i don't like the corny hair metal, thrash and anything that inspired dragonforce. I like alot of psychadelic, Prog, Doom, Sludge, Post and folk/black metal. The genre is too abrasive for the masses. Then again the public doesnt like good music in general.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
You know what. I don't even know what METAL is anymore. It has been broken down into so many fucking sub categories, I really could give a shit less about what is what. I just like good music, typification be damned.

ShaneO)))

You know what. I don't even know what METAL is anymore. It has been broken down into so many fucking sub categories, I really could give a shit less about what is what. I just like good music, typification be damned.

I can see your point, however if you said to someone "i like genghis tron.", and they ask you "cool, What kind of music are they?" and you just say Metal. Their response will most likely be "Oh like avenge sevenfold and trivium." and then you proceed to kill them. We need some sub genres because diffrent forms of music exsist. Thats just the way it is dawg.

Mercy

Ha. I thought this would be a flame war when i got here. Nice to see people being civil, anyway I am a fan of metal . Although i don't like the corny hair metal, thrash and anything that inspired dragonforce. I like alot of psychadelic, Prog, Doom, Sludge, Post and folk/black metal. The genre is too abrasive for the masses. Then again the public doesnt like good music in general.

Yeah, I tried to just make the topic as general as possible so people didn't freak out, but yeah, I tend to agree with you. The music, for the most part tends to be a little too 'hectic' and 'complicated' for just easy listening, but at the same time, I listen to the radio and hear repetitive harmonies that never actually go anywhere and lyrics about "rich girls going shopping" or "thugs doin' bitches" that 2% (Woo, made up stats!) of the world can actually relate to. Not to say anyone that listens to pop or rap has bad musical taste, but I just don't get the appeal of it.

My tastes tend to be all over the place when it comes to metal, and even 'radio' music. If it sounds good, I'll listen to it.

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
Sure why not, like every genre you have to dig through piles of shit though to find something worth listening to.

Sedit

Fat-Roll Spelunker
Seems to me in the last 2-3 years, metal has crawled out of the underground some for a bit. This won't last though, it never does. But it IS good to be seeing larger show attendance, more magazine coverage, and what not. The DOWNSIDE is though this is due in very large part to the metal-core boom, which has spawned so many cookie-cutter copy bands it's not even funny. Thus, it kills some of the substance when that happens. But again, the upside is though it's working as a gateway for many to more underground subgenre's. Now, when the smoke of the current trend finally dissipates, there will be many who jump off the wagon to the next 'hip' thing but there also be some who stick around and have finally found there niche. This is when the next big innovative leap will happen for metal, I believe. So, don't get me wrong...I'm not bitching.

However... than THAT will become huge 5 years later, and spawn many copy bands, and the cycle will begin anew.

I'm sure this happens in many other genres though. Not just metal.

But we metalheads have it fairly decent right now. I remember when I was first getting into metal, and starting to really take playing music seriously...say about 1997-98. I couldn't find ANYONE to play with! I was listening to Pantera, slayer, and alot of original thrash (as there was no new wave of copy-thrash as we have now), like Overkill, Merciful Fate/King Diamond, Testament, Forbidden, Celtic Frost, and so on....plus I was also discovering death and black metal, and was really into Morbid Angel, Carcass, Emperor, Hypocrisy, and Mayhem to name a few (these ultimately are the bands that wound up shaping my current musical style). However....nobody, and I mean NOBODY was doing any of that here in the USA at that time, really. I told people I was doing metal, they we're either like "Dude...like Korn, or Godsmack or (and no, I'm not kidding on this one!), Creed? I like that heavy stuff too, we should jam!!!" or Even moreso I got "Fuck that...metal is dead. Fuck that satanic shit. Go place something with a beat, like rap, people wanna dance not kill themselves". Seriously...these were the mentalities I had to deal with during my formative musical years. Though I admit, part of me loved being the underdog, but it's tough when you wanna really make something out of it for yourself. Still though, I never gave in, not even an inch, to this day. People told me I'd grow out of it, but here I am, almost 30 (....fuck....me......), and I'm into heavier, faster, darker music than ever, and show no signs of stopping barring an early death by heart disease or something.

Now...you wanna know what I think the future of metal is? See...this is just pure guesswork here, but I'm gonna say, alot of the more symphonic black and dark metal. All the european stuff. Sure, maybe this is wishful thinking as this is what I do, myself...but I do think we'll be seeing a bigger rise in it. Why? Because it's highly fertile creative ground. It's one of the most flexible, non-formula based sub-genre's of metal. You can say alot with it, and easily find your own voice. Again, I'm just guessing...but thats my 2 cents

virus

TROLLUS MAXIMUS
metal makes me LOL . Seriously.. I can't take it seriously! Your almost parodying yourself. I mean its trying to be all dark and satanic but it sounds more like dying cats singing, really floppy untuned instruments and a schizophrenic drummer. It all sounds the same too and it gets more LOL the more "heavy" they try to get.. can't even f'ing understand the singer.

Not saying that there isn't such thing as good metal there probably is its just so far to everything I've had to listen too it sounds like vomited forth into a puke bath which everyone is drinking because everyone tries to be darker and heavier and MORE METAL... lol I'm cackling even writing this.

ShaneO)))

metal makes me LOL . Seriously.. I can't take it seriously! Your almost parodying yourself. I mean its trying to be all dark and satanic but it sounds more like dying cats singing, really floppy untuned instruments and a schizophrenic drummer. It all sounds the same too and it gets more LOL the more "heavy" they try to get.. can't even f'ing understand the singer.

Not saying that there isn't such thing as good metal there probably is its just so far to everything I've had to listen too it sounds like vomited forth into a puke bath which everyone is drinking because everyone tries to be darker and heavier and MORE METAL... lol I'm cackling even writing this.

Sounds pretty br004tl

X

Xero108

Play her some Abruptum, or some Burzum. I'm certain she will appreciate them very much!

Don't forget to video her reaction when you do...I predict much hilarity!

I'd try that for the lolz, but I was kicked out of that house...-_-