• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

To those who don't like Metal:

Mercy

Now...you wanna know what I think the future of metal is? See...this is just pure guesswork here, but I'm gonna say, alot of the more symphonic black and dark metal. All the european stuff. Sure, maybe this is wishful thinking as this is what I do, myself...but I do think we'll be seeing a bigger rise in it. Why? Because it's highly fertile creative ground. It's one of the most flexible, non-formula based sub-genre's of metal. You can say alot with it, and easily find your own voice. Again, I'm just guessing...but thats my 2 cents

Oh god, I hope so. I've been into the Scandinavian metal scene since 2001 and, although some of the bands I've once liked have taken a direction I'm not too fond of, others have stepped up and made music that completely blows my mind. I really do have high hopes for the future of a lot of the subgenres out there.

Everyone except my step mother who only swears by Celine Dion. :p

It's actually odd for me to know my mom likes metal... No not thrash "KILL EVERYTHING" metal, but I grew up listening to AC/DC, Ozzy, a little Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden... the good stuff. :p She's told me she likes my music, but can't stand the vocals. *shrugs* I've just gotten used to them, I think.

Last edited:
Now...you wanna know what I think the future of metal is? See...this is just pure guesswork here, but I'm gonna say, alot of the more symphonic black and dark metal. All the european stuff. Sure, maybe this is wishful thinking as this is what I do, myself...but I do think we'll be seeing a bigger rise in it. Why? Because it's highly fertile creative ground. It's one of the most flexible, non-formula based sub-genre's of metal. You can say alot with it, and easily find your own voice. Again, I'm just guessing...but thats my 2 cents

That was the big thing around the turn of the century, lately occult black metal, more rock influenced suicide black metal, and industrial post black metal seem to be at the forefront in the underground. I'd rather not see any of them get anywhere near the mainstream though.

Yeah, rock-influenced black metal is pretty boring..

Depends on the band, and whether the influence is in the aesthetics or the structure. If it's got a boring rock structure I generally don't like it unless it's really a lot of fun to listen to. A rock aesthetic incorporated into the riffs can be pretty cool though, works particularly well in suicide black metal IMO. I'm afraid I can't find any examples online other then Shining though, and Niklas' bizzare ass vocals are pretty hard for a lot of people to get past.

Admittedly I get a kick out of this band as well, this is really the only time I enjoy a punk aesthetic in music, the real thing never sounds pissed off enouph. Punk influenced black metal also seems to be getting pretty popular.

http://www.myspace.com/darkmurk

Last edited:

Sedit

Fat-Roll Spelunker
That was the big thing around the turn of the century, lately occult black metal, more rock influenced suicide black metal, and industrial post black metal seem to be at the forefront in the underground. I'd rather not see any of them get anywhere near the mainstream though.

I agree there...when things get to close to the 'surface' things get to watered down, or seems to lose focus.

bearetic

Icon by marcothecat
I'd consider myself a metalhead at heart, but have spent a lot of time NOT accumulating music. Therefore, I'm pretty limited and have only stuff like Linkin Park and Dragonforce and one Metallica album so I guess I'm NOT METAL ENOUGH.

Thank god (goodness?) for Pandora and YouTube and such.

EDIT: Found a better thread to post this in. First foray into "THE BLUE NOTE"

Last edited:

Mercy

Thinking about the future of metal... I started out listening to the mainstream stuff like Slipknot and System of a Down (It was metal enough back then), but started drifting into the scandinavian metal scene: Dimmu Borgir (PEM and Death Cult), Old Man's Child, Meshuggah, Sonata Arctica, etc.. Nowdays, I've been listening to a lot of "The Faceless". It's been a band I can't stop listening to lately. They've only got two CD's out, but I'm addicted to this 'technical' heavy sound they've got going. While I still love the old stuff along with calmer things like Opeth, I really hope to hear more bands going for good sounding, fast, technical music like these guys.

AethWolf

I tend to dislike most metal because I find it uninteresting. Some of the attitudes from the fans/bands put me off it as well. The whole "faster/heavier/darker" thing and the whole thing against commercial music gets annoying after a certain point.

However, there's a smattering of metal I like, but I don't think many of the metalheads like those in this thread would consider the songs truly metal. Metallica's "Black Album" (all but "The Unforgiven"), Black Sabbath (I hold "Iron Man" as one of the heaviest songs ever (I also use a non-speed based definition of "heavy")), Iron Maiden ("Number of the Beast", specifically, I haven't come across much of their stuff in my wanderings), Queen ("Queen II" is considered some form of metal, and "Stone Cold Crazy" was basically early thrash), Dethklok, Led Zeppelin (some of their stuff gets close to metal, anyway), and probably a few other odds 'n' ends.

SKC

Runs with guitars
Metal, for me, has become part of my life as a musician. I tend to like the old school Power & Thrash metal like Iron Maiden, Dio, and early Metallica, as well as the some of the 'new wave of American metal' like Shadows Fall.

I can't count how many times I've compared the fandom to metal. Metal is as broad as the fandom, if not more so. There's something for everyone.

One of the main problems is that someone who doesn't know much about metal is going to stereotype it as all screaming devil worship or some crap like that, much the same as the fandom's stereotyping we all know about. It's a real thorn in the side of the genera.

virus

TROLLUS MAXIMUS
I don't like because to me it sounds lik banging the instruments on the stage and yelling

Well that may be so, me be another person who generally doesn't like metal. At least metal is a bar above emo and that shitty sorry for your self alt rock crap.

shobonimaster

Nika the Chameleon
Well that may be so, me be another person who generally doesn't like metal. At least metal is a bar above emo and that shitty sorry for your self alt rock crap.

eh I'm a country person myself so generaly I don't have to put up with that anything emotional is real,...well emotion :) alot of happy stuff in there

ShaneO)))

eh I'm a country person myself so generaly I don't have to put up with that anything emotional is real,...well emotion :) alot of happy stuff in there

Well EMO is emotional, The common misconception for metal is that it is all about anger. WRONG. Alot of progressive, death and doom metal bands have concept albums that tell stories and don't deal with the vocalists personal emotions at all. I hate country, older country like Chris Kristopherson and the obvious johnny cash was good. The shit now is a joke, Its just pop lyrics and ideals put to country music. Very predictable music IMO. Which is what alot of people say about metal. Yes alot of metal especially these days is very, VERY predictable. You gotta dig deep to find those banger metal bands. Not hating on your music shoboni because there is alot good country(old country). I have an extremly open mind about music. I didnt used to either, I was metal all the way. I don't really find myself lisening to it that much anymore.

Defender

the obvious identity
As much as I tend to argue with metalheads on this forum here, I actually like a good chunk of it that goes to more bizarre places, like Gwar and the Melvins and Mastodon and such, but I love little wedges from plenty of the subgenres as well.

I tend to not really like metal because it all too often takes itself WAY too seriously and never seems to really go anywhere new in any significant, impressive way. I understand that there are prog metal bands doing all kinds of wild stuff with music theory and bizarre rhythms, but it still sounds pretty distinctively metal with a little twist of some interesting choppiness, or like someone is playing a sped up King Crimson or Gentle Giant album through a distortion box.

shobonimaster

Nika the Chameleon
that tell stories and don't deal with the vocalists personal emotions

then what's the point music is to express yourself if none of it's personal than whats the point I'm not flaming I'm just saying to me music's about telling stories sometimes, but also from the heart at times there needs to be a good blend some songs of one some of the other and other songs just about having fun(country's got alot of that)

Sedit

Fat-Roll Spelunker
As much as I tend to argue with metalheads on this forum here, I actually like a good chunk of it that goes to more bizarre places, like Gwar and the Melvins and Mastodon and such, but I love little wedges from plenty of the subgenres as well.

if you like original and bizzarre, and whatnot, boy do I ever have abnd for you....Crotchduster:

Big Top Williams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7rItcfJPs
(Wait til the end for the most awesome Slayer parody ever)

Let Me Into Starfish Land
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQIMauXki54

Mr. Indignant Erection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nzWZgGdlw

Stars Ingenious Cooter (live...but not really)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKQ048-O4vs

Jogging In Hell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntcH2RYWVZU&feature=related

SKC

Runs with guitars
The thing that really draws me to metal is that its powerful. Just this raw energy. It's impossible to be sad while listening to metal. It could be the saddest song ever and you'll still be like "YEAH! KICK ASS!:-D". A sad song in any other genra leads you to "I'm gonna cry :(".

ShaneO)))

I tend to not really like metal because it all too often takes itself WAY too seriously and never seems to really go anywhere new in any significant, impressive way. I understand that there are prog metal bands doing all kinds of wild stuff with music theory and bizarre rhythms, but it still sounds pretty distinctively metal with a little twist of some interesting choppiness, or like someone is playing a sped up King Crimson or Gentle Giant album through a distortion box.

Melvins!? Good man. I agree with you for the most part, however your last statment conflicts with the fact that you like mastodon. Many people believe that mastodon are the rush of modern metal. What about bands like Opeth, Isis, pelican and stuff of that nature? You into any of that?