• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Too old for furry fandom?

Caedman

I've been a fur at heart for many years, but just recently really got interested in fursuiting. I've designed my own costume, ordered the fur, and am looking for my first actual furcon. Here's the issue:

Im 44. Not a spring chicken (and not my chosen animal anyway) but certainly not over the hill either. From what I've seen, fur con attendee's appear to be in their early to mid 20s. The big question: how out of place am I? I'm all set to dive in head first, but don't want to be completely on the other side of the age gap. People have told me that I'm immature, but I don't think that counts.

Anyhow, I'm new here, finally figured out the answer to the random question (the server question was easy...) so here's a little bit about me.

I'm an Emergency department nurse, was a medic for many years prior to that, and am going to UofM for my Bachelors in nursing. I love the fur world, used to prance around on the furrymuck years ago when that was up and running. I have a lot of interests which include brewing beer and mead, riding motorcycles, painting, drawing, writing, taking care of my Labradane, building stuff (usually out of scrap wood) prepping for Halloween (in August!) reading, martial arts (specifically Shidokan karate), traveling, working in the garden, landscaping and just recently, like I said, started building my fursuit. The head is done, sans fur, and I'm already starting my next one! I'll be posting photos soon.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions about the age issue. I promise, I'm not a dick. :)

arctobear

It's not all young people in the fandom. I talk to people on another board who are about your age. I think you'd probably fit in very well. You should go for it and see how you like it.

Caedman

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your comment. Plus, I'll be in a fursuit, so who's going to know? :)

Hunter

Sorry about my earlier post , i lost track of the lines i already read . (dang dyslexia)
anyway so far some very sound advice has been posted and worth lessening to.

note . your not much older than i

Last edited:

sunshyne

Oh you're gonna be in a suit? Pfft, go for it. Like you said, nobody's gonna know anyways. Besides, age is really relative. As long as you are friendly and slightly interesting, you'll find friends here with common interests. One of my best friends in the fandom just turned 43. And there's at least one other guy I know from furmeets who is in his 40's. It's about how you carry yourself; just don't be a creeper and you're set (which I think is good advice for any age)

Onnes

It would be a shame if the fandom was limited solely to the young. After all, none of us are free from the passage of time.

RitsukaAo

*side-eyes*
I don't think it's really possible to be too old for the furry fandom. It would be disappointing to reach 40 and have to pack up the suits, old badges, and whatnot. As long as you are friendly and your personality isn't too abrasive, you can go as long as you like.

Caedman

Awesome! I suppose the immaturity may work to my advantage. I've been working out how to act while in the suit. I don't want to do what everyone else has done, though I love Ari and Flux, and even skrat. It takes a certain personality to pull off fur suiting. The biggest part of course is having fun. An equally important large part is to make sure others have fun as well.

Ive been doing research into how my chosen animal acts in the wild. I plan to over exaggerate it, really ham it up without being too obnoxious, and make it as toonalistic as possible.

Pictures to come! I wish I could upload from my iPhone.

RitsukaAo

*side-eyes*
I think I recall a few fursuiters that are actually in their 30s but their fursonas are like child age. You don't have to compensate for your actual age and make your fursona younger, you can do whatever you like in that regard. You just gotta make sure you know your limits and act the part. This applies for anyone of any age.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I'm a suiter and I'm 29. I see people of all ages suiting and or attending cons, not just younger people. Like they said above you'll be fine.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I know people who are older and I say there is no such thing in the fandom. However, be prepared for younger members thinking you are creepy because of your age.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Well those younger members can go fuck right off. We're not creepers, we're experienced.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I know people who are older and I say there is no such thing in the fandom. However, be prepared for younger members thinking you are creepy because of your age.

That begs the question of why though...(and it's true sadly). I think maybe its because society expects the older generations to be reserved and stotic. On the age thread 18 yr olds are the highest number i believe. Prehaps the fandom has peaked in recent years or it loses its charm for most. This intrigues me.

Welcome to FAF, Caedman, tell us youngsters(who feel old) what the fandom was like in the good ole days!! Also, you seem to have many interests, I look forward to your future posts.

Conn1496

Professional Weirdo
If furry was a fandom where we discriminated, we wouldn't get anywhere. As a group, we're horribly diverse. If someone tells you you're too old to be a furry, they're obviously not in the right state of mind to be in the fandom. I once spoke to a furry who was going on 60 (Nicest guy, actually. He was a real laugh to talk to. Not in the slightest bit creepy.), so I doubt that your age will be a problem.
My advice? Do what you want, age is just a state of mind. :D

Caedman

What is with that creepy thing? I've read that on several different forums. Can you imagine a creepy Ari? If someone is creeping around kids, what a horrible slap in the face of furries everywhere because then every furry become suspect ( that wears a mask, that is). I'll do my best to avoid acting creepy. :). Apparently those same younger members apparently think they will never get older. Time waits for no fur...

Arlo

Charmingly Eccentric
You're never too old as far as I'm concerned! I only 'discovered' the fandom about 2 years ago and I turned 44 this year. I also am a fursuiter and although I've only been to 2 fur cons, I've been amazed at how open and friendly most folks have been. It's true the majority of the fandom is comprised of younger people but there are quite a few 'graymuzzles' like us out there.

As far as fur cons go, you get out of them what you put in....meaning be friendly, don't be afraid to say hello to folks and by all means suit if you want to! I love performing in my fursuit and it is a great ice-breaker. For myself, I chose to attend a smaller con at first, to get used to things. I came back to the same con again this year and had a blast once again. I'll get to Anthrocon at some point but smaller cons area great way to test the waters and depending upon who the guests of honor are, see some well-known fandom personalities in a more intimate setting (meaning a few rows from the stage vs. on a vid screen with 5,000 of your closest friends, lol). Whichever con you decide to attend, check out any progamming tracks geared towards older fans: graymuzzle panels, meet n' greets, etc.

Welcome to the fandom and enjoy!

Ramses

Well, I'm 45.

I usually don't feel like I'm in the minority, and I certainly don't feel like I don't belong (perhaps because the fandom is so diverse).
It's a little strange talking to youngsters about movies, games, and music, etc that they grew up with - that had a strong influence on them - 'cause it's 1980s/90s stuff that they experienced as kids, and I experienced as an adult, but that's really not a big deal. It's actually pretty cool to get their takes on something like Nirvana, or 80s sitcoms.

Side note - When I was 18, I just assumed that every guy over 40 was going to hit on me, and sure some did (often they did it as creepily as possible - is "creepily" a word? or just "in a creepy way"). I guess I used the actions of a few to judge everyone, but thank goodness not every youngster does this.
At 18, I just ignored or ran away from everyone above a certain age. Now, when youngsters run away from me, or ignore me, I understand why.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Hi. You've only got four years on me, and I don't think I'm too old, not by a long shot. There's a forumgoing regular who IIRC has us both beat, and there are regulars on the main site who have been in the furry fandom since its earliest days and are still active: Chris Suitor (Cobalt), Bernard Doove (Goldfur, though I don't know how long shi's been around), Taral Wayne (saara), and Steve Gallacci (sagallacci, famous for Albedo Anthropomorphics and Erma Felna, EDF), as just the first tiny few off the top of my head.

If they're not too old, then neither are you.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
That begs the question of why though...(and it's true sadly). I think maybe its because society expects the older generations to be reserved and stotic. On the age thread 18 yr olds are the highest number i believe. Prehaps the fandom has peaked in recent years or it loses its charm for most. This intrigues me.

Welcome to FAF, Caedman, tell us youngsters(who feel old) what the fandom was like in the good ole days!! Also, you seem to have many interests, I look forward to your future posts.

The whole train of thought is that anything considered "Fun" for youth should be for the young'uns and I know a few furries IRL that have this mentality. I believe if you enjoy something and have for a long time (like the fandom or anime), you shouldn't be excluded because of your age.

Caedman

Well,I plan to attend these cons, and try to avoid the creepy factor. Now, who do I have to scratch and yiff to get some respect around here? :D

Kalithe

Amateur Artist Extraordinaire
Well, you've already earned my respect. The way that you've constructed your replies as thoughtful, complete responses with nothing but the highest grammatical accuracy is fairly commendable, especially considering the stunning lack of that level-type posting. In addition, the fandom is basically for those who are (party) animals at heart! As long as you feel and act furry, you'll fit right in!

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Well,I plan to attend these cons, and try to avoid the creepy factor. Now, who do I have to scratch and yiff to get some respect around here? :D
Might wanna refrain from using terms like that here lol, they dun like it

I know a few furs here that are great and are mid 40s and I hang out with one of them from time to time and I'm 25 XD