• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Too old to enter the fandom?

scuzball

Dear Y'all,
I'm sure this topic exists somewhere deep in this forum, but I couldn't find it so here we are: How old does someone need to be before they are too old to join the fandom? I know there are people of all ages here, but we all know that the average furry is in their early twenties. Many of the greymuzzles/older furry folk have been in the community for a long time. I'm not asking about them as much as I am newcomers to the fandom. Does it feel normal/acceptable for someone who's 30 to join as a new member? Obviously the fandom is welcoming to anyone, but I want some honest answers. Does it feel weird if someone who's 30+ to become a furry? What range of age do find most appropriate? Any thoughts are appreciated.
-Scuzball

MrSpookyBoots

Disgusted...
I don't think there is such a thing as "too old." I know a guy who turned 50 in March and only recently became part of the Star Wars fandom. He was just a kid when Star Wars was brand new and joined the club after more than 40 years.

I'd like to think that the furry fandom isn't "off limits" to someone just because of their age.

Rayd

profound asshole
the fandom is still very young, which is why you don't see many older furries, and why the average age is around the early 20's. i'm sure many that are furries now will still be furries as they grow old. therefore i don't think there's a point where you're "too old" for it.

quoting_mungo

Admittedly these days you might have to live under a rock to be ignorant of the very existence of furry fandom, but I know for myself, that while I entered furry fandom in early-mid teens (more like as a late preteen if you count gryphon/mythological creature fandom), I’d been drawing animal people before that. Being a fan of something doesn’t have to automatically mean being aware that there’s a fandom.

You can also discover new hobbies late in life.

Gatekeeping is stupid and avoiding things because you’re “too old” is borrowing unhappiness, so you definitely can jump into fandom whenever the fuck you want.

TheCynicalViet

The furry fandom is NOT young by any means. It has existed in the West since the 80's and perhaps earlier. Many greyfurs are worm food as we speak, unfortunately.

There is no age limit in which potential members are barred from entering. Everyone is welcome regardless of age, sex, race, species, etc. But, personally for me, I always give one piece of advice: as you get older, it would behoove you to make sure that any and all accounts associated with furry stuff is separated from your working or professional accounts. Because the fandoms bad reputation is not entirely unearned and it is good to not have the stigma of being a furry follow your professional life.

Vesper The Coyusky

The fandom is mixed with variety. Furries being 18-29 the majority of the fandom, there are greymuzzles here and there, and there are definitely young furs 10-14 in this fandom. Like others said theres no age limit. I have seen 14 year old young furries come in and even I've seen greymuzzles in their 60s who either joined or been in the fandom for a decade. No matter, name, age, sexuality, social or not social, everyone is treated equally here and not judgemental towards one another.

Rayd

profound asshole
The furry fandom is NOT young by any means. It has existed in the West since the 80's and perhaps earlier. Many greyfurs are worm food as we speak, unfortunately.

There is no age limit in which potential members are barred from entering. Everyone is welcome regardless of age, sex, race, species, etc. But, personally for me, I always give one piece of advice: as you get older, it would behoove you to make sure that any and all accounts associated with furry stuff is separated from your working or professional accounts. Because the fandoms bad reputation is not entirely unearned and it is good to not have the stigma of being a furry follow your professional life.

that is absolutely young. especially when you consider the fact that the fandom wasn't as popular until it built a presence on the internet, hence why the vast majority of furries are in their 20's. there's almost no furries i know of that have lived out their lives in the fandom yet, and eventually the first wave will. i'm just saying that eventually it's inevitable that we'll have a lot more older furries than we do now, so there's literally no problem in joining at any age.

Dinocanid

When it comes to conventions, I've seen members more on the older side than on the younger side. It might just be my area though

Chomby

It's Spooky Month!
You are never too old! Ones who think you can be are turds.
In fact, I've tried to get my mom to join the fandom to no avail.
It would be nice if we had more things in common. Lol

D

Deleted member 82554

LMAO, what bullshit is being too old to be a part of the fandom all about? What nut job came up with that discriminative crap?

Also I'm a little drunk, judge me harshly. :oops:

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
I don't think that there's something like "too old" in this regard. I'm nearly 40 myself and know some furs that are up to 54 years old.

scuzball

Y'all this is helpful! It makes sense that the fandom is relatively young, at least in terms of its explosion online. I'm 29, and even though I've been sort of furry-adjacent for several years, I'm just now starting to actually dig a little deeper and make a fursona. I was just imagining going to a convention and feeling like an outsider, but the response from everyone I've talked to has been like "that's dumb, come on in", which is encouraging!

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
To the OP, you can be at least as old as me. No one's kicked me out, yet, and I keep getting older.

Admittedly, I'm old enough to feel out of touch with some of what goes on here but that doesn't bother me. At age 30, I'm guessing that you'll be fine.

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
There's no upper age limit to being a furry. I met a furry at a convention last summer who was a freaking Baby Boomer!
I actually think it's awesome to have people of all age groups in our little family!

Trevorbluesquirrel

Their are older furries, just gotta watch for them!

One interesting thing is that the fandom through the 1990's was actually mostly older adults 30 and above, and it used to have much more adult activities, like pet auctions, and strip shows!

A few decades from now, I'm sure their will be many more greymuzzles, as we'll all have aged and reached that point!

WolfSpark

now yes it doesnt matter how older you are to be a furry there is no limit just have to watch out those who act a little more stranger then your normal furry fan other then that we accept all ages heck we even have a 18+ rating for a reason lol.

DariusTheLoony

Darius Nack
As long as the individual is 18 and up then I definitely would recommend that they continue doing what makes them happy.