• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Toony suits VS. Realistic suits

ShayneBear

For children, go toony. if it were for something like, say, a sports team, realistic is more easily accepted.

Plus, a toony character makes parents feel better about letting their kids come get hugs =) and kids seem to love getting hugs from big floofy cartoony critters <3

ZiggyTheWolf

Waking up to a dream
That whole deal with the skittles thing happened quite some time ago and seeing the flack that she recieved over it i wouldnt think she'd repeat the episode, I still think she makes some pretty awesome toony suits just pretty darn expensive now.

Last edited:

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Toony...the realistic looking ones have this thing wrong...it's like the time I looked at a photomorph on FurAffinity and was grossed out because it looked like a corpse.

oh wait. That's what's called the Uncanny Valley.

Shico

I think realistic suits get "more respect" so to speak, I mean when it comes to a snarky person who is on the fence about furries they are more likley to pick on a toony suit but at the same time may be impressed with a realistic suit, I mean a Clockwork Creatures suit is like freaken artwork and more likley to inspire an "oooo awwww" reaction than a troll reaction.

But realistic stuff would more likley scare kids, and if you are a hyper person who wants to be spunky while in character then a realistic suit is kinda limiting.

Miryhis

I don't trust AzureCoyote after that whole Skittles fiasco. Ya know, where she sold a used sex-suit without telling the buyer. And then posted videos. Yeah. Stay classy Azure, very classy.

Wow, just wow. You always manage to inform me of something that just disappoints me to no end. I was considering her awhile back, I'm glad I changed my mind. Though I'm sure she would not try and pull something like that again... I mean if the backlash sounds as bad as everyone is making it sound, I hope she wouldn't.

On topic: I agree, it depends on the animal/character being made. I'd say most could pass with toony, but only a few could pass as realistic. I'm sure there's a happy medium when it comes to the two if you want realistic but want to be around kids though.

I think realistic suits get "more respect" so to speak, I mean when it comes to a snarky person who is on the fence about furries they are more likley to pick on a toony suit but at the same time may be impressed with a realistic suit, I mean a Clockwork Creatures suit is like freaken artwork and more likley to inspire an "oooo awwww" reaction than a troll reaction.

But realistic stuff would more likley scare kids, and if you are a hyper person who wants to be spunky while in character then a realistic suit is kinda limiting.

If you're in an animal costume and you run into someone who is on the fence about the fandom, style doesn't matter.
They still think you're weird.

Dread Husky

Just another nobody...
I do prefer realistic suits, even ones with the moving jaws, taxidermy eyes, electronics, and jaws/teeth/tongue sets. To me the more realistic the better.

But yeah, they might scare the little kids so go with toony.

And I remember that Skittles suit and the journal/videos. :c *shudders*

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I do prefer realistic suits, even ones with the moving jaws, taxidermy eyes, electronics, and jaws/teeth/tongue sets.
Moving jaws and electronics are cool period. Even if I had a toony suit, I'd try to put in a movable jaw

Fiesta_Jack

Calix Meus Inebrians
I'm much more a fan of realistic suits, and I do believe people tend to view them with more awe and respect than toon suits. Realistic suits aren't really right for most purposes though. If you're planning to do fun, innocent, bouncy stuff, go for the toon suit.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
Realistic costumes tend to be the ones you don't have as much fun being silly with. It's not that kind of character or that's the impression it gives off. Now the toony ones tend to be more playful or have more potential for that. I prefer to try to find a nice middle ground although I favor the highly realistic well over the highly toony. For some reason it's the highly toon-y ones that creep me out more with the giant eyes and messed up proportions...although if someone does uncanny valley wrong that can creep me out too.

There are two makers out there who tend to make costumes that make me want to be far away from them due to the creepyness that they have about them that they induce by being either wrong realistic, or wrong toony.

Middle ftw

Last edited:

mrs.ferdo

I prefer toony over realistic. Realistic ones freak me out more than anything. Plus, it's hard to find a maker who knows how to do it right (so they don't look demented).
Plus, like everyone keeps saying, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! :D

Trance

Likes blueberries?
I like the toony suits. They're nice, and cheerful, and fluffy.

The realistic ones are good if the maker was skilled enough to make the suit non-creepy.
Otherwise, yeah, they're usually a little scary lookin'.

Stargazer Bleu

2b forgot is worse than death
Both have there place. Depending on what and were you will use one at.
I like toony better. Get to be silly at cons with one like that.