• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Over the following month since the Forums have been returned to life, a clear pattern has emerged among a small but vocal portion of users.

Specifically, the Forums have suffered numerous incidents of people referring to Trans individuals as “manchilds” and “Adult Children”, expressing both a desire and intent to avoid using one’s proper pronouns, use and defense of “I identify as an Attack Helicopter” jokes, insults of Trans users’ appearances and identities, and so-on.

Almost without fail, these incidents have been defended with arguments along the lines of “I’m just expressing my opinion”, “You’re overreacting”, and / or “It’s just a joke”. Almost assuredly coincidentally, many of the users presenting such arguments have also lauded the dropping of the Politics section and told users who oppose / push back against such behavior “Site has changed, don’t be so political”.

Several threads have been locked and / deleted as a result of this combined behavior, and it appears that such will resume into the immediate future without Administrative action.

My reason for making this thread, and a suggestion, is for staff (until the situation improves) to create an additional banner post (to go along with the “Main Site ToS and CoC apply” one) reaffirming that such behavior is neither acceptable nor defended by the site rules, that FA and its staff will not accept the belittling / dehumanization / harassment of Trans individuals (or - ideally - all minority demographics, like the LGBTQ+ umbrella as a whole, but one fire at a time), and that basic civility for as much is not Political. Such a banner would remain until the problem ceases.

Nexus Cabler

Strong independent black dragon
Before this thread possibly turns into a fight, which I hope not, I will say I agree.

Yes, trans people are people like the rest of us. They aren't a menace to society or anything like some people say. They deserve compassion, friends, approval from their family, and opportunities just like anyone else in the world. A lot of artists I know are trans, and many trans people I've met online have been very sweet to me.

It should go without saying that it's wrong to treat people like shit, and trans people are not an exception at all. Don't harass them or prejudge them, because I'm sure you wouldn't like that treatment yourself. They are very kind and social like any other group out there, and you'll likely make some trans friends sooner than you think if you give them a chance. I know this from my own experience.

TR273

Back to being Mom Fox
Before this thread possibly turns into a fight, which I hope not, I will say I agree.

Yes, trans people are people like the rest of us. They aren't a menace to society or anything like some people say. They deserve compassion, friends, approval from their family, and opportunities just like anyone else in the world. A lot of artists I know are trans, and many trans people I've met online have been very sweet to me.

It should go without saying that it's wrong to treat people like shit, and trans people are not an exception at all. Don't harass them or prejudge them, because I'm sure you wouldn't like that treatment yourself. They are very kind and social like any other group out there, and you'll likely make some trans friends sooner than you think if you give them a chance. I know this from my own experience.
Well said.
:)

otterpaws

Haven't been very interested in FAF recently
I have some tips that I learned that I really should've used last time to prevent the last thread from getting locked. From now on please don't:
  1. Interact with/respond to the type of comments in the original post. They are usually posts made with the sole purpose of getting people angry which leads to bad things.
  2. If these sorts of posts really really bother you, please just use FAF's ignore feature. You will be happier without all that negativity ^^
  3. Report, report, report! Report these sorts of comments when you see them, and maybe tell a friend or two to do it too. The mods might take action on the trolls and not us if we don't end up causing a massive dumpster fire.
I love you all, and I certainly wouldn't want you to get wrongfully punished while trolls go unlooked. If you report and ignore, you aren't giving any food to the trolls and you will draw the attention of the mod team to them. Have a very wonderful day!

otterpaws

Anyways, I very much support trans people of all creeds! In fact, I recently decided to make my main fursona Non-Binary/Genderfluid because it would actually fit me better, even though I'm a cis-male as far as I know. I haven't actually decided yet because I suck at making lasting decisions, even though my ref says Non-binary it might be any mix of that. (If you have a problem with me doing this, please tell me, I do not mean to offend ^^)

MrSpookyBoots

Batto with a Bad Leg ;'(
I'm not part of the mod team and I'm sure that they probably won't find my suggestion endearing.

However, this pattern has repeated numerous times already to the point that any transphobic remarks or harassment should be treated more harshly. It should be treated the same as if someone mistreated another user based on their race or ethnicity.

If bans are temporary, the same culprits will return and continue baiting users into responding as if nothing ever happened to them. While there may be some responsibility on the part of other users to ignore such tactics, allowing further discord to prosper on these boards fosters a bad atmosphere that will only harm the site and its reputation.

otterpaws

I'm not part of the mod team and I'm sure that they probably won't find my suggestion endearing.

However, this pattern has repeated numerous times already to the point that any transphobic remarks or harassment should be treated more harshly. It should be treated the same as if someone mistreated another user based on their race or ethnicity.

If bans are temporary, the same culprits will return and continue baiting users into responding as if nothing ever happened to them. While there may be some responsibility on the part of other users to ignore such tactics, allowing further discord to prosper on these boards fosters a bad atmosphere that will only harm the site and its reputation.
Trans rights are human rights and that's the end of the story. Don't like it? Lump it.

As for the pattern, I've seen that, too. Trolling or otherwise, it's starting to cause actual harm to people and bringing the whole site down.
Well spoken, well spoken.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
However, I do have more to say than just that.

It is important for moderators and onlookers to realise that, even if it's trolling, shitposting or actual bullying, it still does cause the same amount of harm. And right now, it's creating a knock-on effect that's spreading across multiple threads of the site. That's bad for the site's image and bad for the user experience, even if you're not being bothered directly by it.

In my opinion, you cross the line of trolling the moment you decide to demean or devalue somebody and enter into bullying territory. Not only does it affect those users, it also ruins things for others. Nice threads getting derailed and turning into hate trains from an army of trolls/bullies/whoever is a crying shame for all of us.

This needs to stop. Now. I'm very sick and tired of seeing blatant hatred disguised as trolling on here and I'm sure many others are, too. This isn't fair on anybody.

In summary
To the staff of this site: We would like you to act on this matter, please.
To onlookers: Trolling or no, this shouldn't be tolerated and it's ruining the place you call home

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
I personally think 'normal' harassment should be treated more harshly. A lot of the simmering resentment and outright conflict comes from the fact that 'regular old harassment' was normalized for way too long
I'll tell you the same thing I tell people who flip shit over blm. Just because black lives matter does not mean other lives don't matter. We just want to be in a good environment. Currently your everyone else gets treated way better than trans folk. We should at least be brought to an even playing field.

contemplationistwolf

The Restless Maverick
I'll tell you the same thing I tell people who flip shit over blm. Just because black lives matter does not mean other lives don't matter. We just want to be in a good environment. Currently your everyone else gets treated way better than trans folk. We should at least be brought to an even playing field.
I agree with that. Don't support discrimination/harassment against black, trans or any other such groups in any way. I want a good environment here too.
However, the excessive paranoia and viciousness I've seen here bothers me. I've seen plenty of people with good intentions get piled on over pretty much nothing, and old grudges forced into threads and taken out of context. I hope the environment changes so that this stuff won't be happening anymore.

Lucyfur

Free Ovidia
for onlookers and concerned parties~ Also for those who may be guilty of such...

To say something is just a "joke" does not suddenly cleanse it of the issue with it like the bs with i identify as helicopter crap it is still transphobic
To jump into a thread about a group and directing positivity towards and for that group only to "all lives matter" it is not the good look that you may think it is quite the opposite as that is a form of downplaying what it is meant for.
To be an apologist of transphobes transphobic actions sentiments and shit isnt a good look and makes you nearly just as culpable of it yourself.
To try and tell those within a group that something isnt phobic towards them isnt your place because you have no authority on that manner.

this is all to say that, because it is beyond this scope of "don't be so upset just because of a "joke" or "because theye were mean to you" " like it is because this crap is everywhere and people will excuse it join in on it be apologists trying to reduce it and say it isnt what it is. Hell the fucking gaslighting others do trying to say that no one isnt accepting you or theyll start denying the lack of equal rights the trans community faces.

So yeah fuck the transphobes, their apologists, defenders, and reductionists.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights and if you disagree with that you can eat a bag of hammered dog shit.

otterpaws

for onlookers and concerned parties~ Also for those who may be guilty of such...

To say something is just a "joke" does not suddenly cleanse it of the issue with it like the bs with i identify as helicopter crap it is still transphobic
To jump into a thread about a group and directing positivity towards and for that group only to "all lives matter" it is not the good look that you may think it is quite the opposite as that is a form of downplaying what it is meant for.
To be an apologist of transphobes transphobic actions sentiments and shit isnt a good look and makes you nearly just as culpable of it yourself.
To try and tell those within a group that something isnt phobic towards them isnt your place because you have no authority on that manner.

this is all to say that, because it is beyond this scope of "don't be so upset just because of a "joke" or "because theye were mean to you" " like it is because this crap is everywhere and people will excuse it join in on it be apologists trying to reduce it and say it isnt what it is. Hell the fucking gaslighting others do trying to say that no one isnt accepting you or theyll start denying the lack of equal rights the trans community faces.

So yeah fuck the transphobes, their apologists, defenders, and reductionists.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights and if you disagree with that you can eat a bag of hammered dog shit.
Exactly this.

Status
Not open for further replies.