• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Transcendental experiences

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
I've been thinking about these a lot here lately. You know when something is going on, there's a moment where it feels like you're moving in slow motion but are completely aware of what is going on. It's almost like you're dreaming while you're awake.

Right, in those moments, there's a kind of weird feeling like you are not yourself, but are kind of having an "out of body" experience. For example, when I went cliff diving for the first time, I had one of them when i jumped. I remember thinking "this isn't me, I wouldn't do something like this." It didn't feel like it was me, maybe more like I was watching this random guy jump into some freakishly cold water for a day in the middle of May. I felt like I was part of a group or something bigger than myself, like being completely connected to the moment (no, I promise this thread will not become a "kumbayah, we're all one spirit kind" of thread on my account).

Anyway, it's kind of like "losing yourself" in a moment. Some of my friends talked about this kind of stuff happening when they were in an automobile accident, or one said when he went into active military duty and was stationed on the front line for the first time. A stoner friend of mine said something like "dude, maybe you died in an alternate universe then". Truth is, i don't know what kicks it off.

So anyway, down to business, anyone else ever have those experiences you want to share? Do you think they only happen in "life-changing" moments or it's just random? Maybe you know some science behind it. Maybe you just want to say "too bad OP didn't hit a rock at the bottom of the cliff". Whatever floats your boat.

Discuss.

Ixtu

Too bad OP didn't hit a rock at the bottom of the cliff!
Couldn't resist.
Can't say i can relate though.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Yes, mostly from shock or injuries.
When I was younger I almost drowned, I was being held underwater forcibly. I remember time slowing down, I had time to think of how my swimming wasn't working and how swimming down to the bottom to push off would help. I remember how it seemed like just when the pain was unbearable, I couldn't feel it anymore, then the next moment like in double time I had pulled myself from the water and was shaking like a leaf.

I also had a really bad concussion when I was younger. I ended up with post concussive disorder. It's hard to explain what it's like, but suddenly at random I would be really dizzy, and tired. I would kind of step out of myself suddenly.

The last time it happened was after a car accident. We were on vacation in Hawaii recently. My father was cut off suddenly and managed to stop, but the car behind us hit hard. My sister had been cut across the neck with the seatbelt strap and had whiplash so we had to wait for the ambulance and all that stuff. While it was happening I was just dead quiet and calm...a bit like when I meditate, but 15 or 30 minutes later (it seemed like hours) as soon as the ambulance had gone and the rest of us were okay, I got out of the car and started shaking and everything went doubletime again.

For moments when I haven't actually been injured. This used to happen when I would spare, not at first, but later when I was used to it, it was like I was outside my body watching, and able to think of what block to use and what punch, kick, if a hit to the nerve would be better or not.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
It's called adrenaline, and I've had it happen far to many times.

Being a martial artist for well all my life I have experienced this alot...its almost like a 6th sense kinda thing for me anymore when it happens. But it used to freak me the hell out.

Other then that when i was like 14 i got into a huge fight helping one of my friends out and go blindsided by some A hole with a base ball bat...Kinda died for a little (no im not over stating that i really did die for a few minutes)) and right before the bat hit me cuz i turned just in time to see it comeing i had one of these

I'm pretty sure I never felt like that. Nothing causes my senses to accelerate(Thus making the world seem slower?), that would be a disaster.
I don't get into bar fights, and I never got any serious injury, shock or accident. I did have times where I just stared at the wall and time accelerated, and 30 minutes pass without feeling five.

I don't have any sorts of neural diseases, there is no reason to cause any slowdown or strange chemicals emitting.

CAThulu

In FAF CAThulu lies dreaming..
I don't either, which is why I'm wtf'ing over the whole thread idea right now.

Nah, don't. I've experienced this with and without drug use. On drugs I was able to see that a relationship I was in was unhealthy, and it was so strong that I broke up with her. It was the best thing I could have done. Of course, if you smoke weed and have one of these transcendental experiences you can't control it so you can end up having a really bad trip, so I don't recommend it. I will say that I did have 2 hits off a joint and meditated for the sole purpose of trying to reach transcendence, but it didn't really work. That's why short cuts suck and I don't recommend drug use to do this (unless you're a trained shaman who knows what the hell you're doing ^_^)

The ways I really hit this point is when I'm deeply engrossed in a drawing or painting. I honestly end up going into a trance like state, and I can observe my body working while my mind is free to float between focusing on the work or thinking about a complex problem. I lose sense of time and 2 hours will feel like 15 minutes. I also had this during martial arts when I was training or during long work outs. Transcendence through natural highs are awesome *G*

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
It's called adrenaline, and I've had it happen far to many times.
Must be, when you get a remarkably huge surge of it compared to the typical smaller spurts of adrenaline you get when playing sports.

It would make sense, but it still seems strange that the feeling's not panic or anything, it's kind of serene or blissful. And, it might not fit the bill on instances when adrenaline shouldn't be pumping, like when I had one while I was inside a hospital room after someone died. Otherwise, that would make 100% sense to me rather than 95% or whatever useless number I could come up with.

The ways I really hit this point is when I'm deeply engrossed in a drawing or painting. I honestly end up going into a trance like state, and I can observe my body working while my mind is free to float between focusing on the work or thinking about a complex problem. I lose sense of time and 2 hours will feel like 15 minutes. I also had this during martial arts when I was training or during long work outs. Transcendence through natural highs are awesome *G*

I've spaced out before when working on something, but I don't think that's quite what I was talking about. It's usually a short period of time that gets rapidly stretched out (maybe because of an adrenaline spike), not a long time being compressed into a short period like what you said above. Eh, who knows, maybe it's related in some way. I'll have to take your workd about the ingested chemical experiences though, haha.

Yes, mostly from shock or injuries...

I also had a really bad concussion when I was younger. I ended up with post concussive disorder. It's hard to explain what it's like, but suddenly at random I would be really dizzy, and tired. I would kind of step out of myself suddenly.

For moments when I haven't actually been injured. This used to happen when I would spare, not at first, but later when I was used to it, it was like I was outside my body watching, and able to think of what block to use and what punch, kick, if a hit to the nerve would be better or not.

Huh, it does seem to be linked to a lot of actions. Still, the thing about a concussion giving those experiences afterwards is interesting.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Huh, it does seem to be linked to a lot of actions. Still, the thing about a concussion giving those experiences afterwards is interesting.

It wasn't the same as with adrenaline. actually it's a lot like suddenly feeling like you've been awake 36 hours. that absent not entirely there feeling. Or I suppose like being a bit drunk, you can't really...connect well (though I didn't know the feeling at the time) it felt like my brain was just shutting down piece by piece for a while.

If you really want some fun. look up the ted talks, about the neuroscientist that had a stroke.

Joeyyy

Fresh Prince of FAF
Your brain, in extreme situations, has the ability to "slow down" time.
Scientists think its because your brain increases the amount of nerve impulses over time coming from the eyes and ears.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
It wasn't the same as with adrenaline. actually it's a lot like suddenly feeling like you've been awake 36 hours. that absent not entirely there feeling. Or I suppose like being a bit drunk, you can't really...connect well (though I didn't know the feeling at the time) it felt like my brain was just shutting down piece by piece for a while.

If you really want some fun. look up the ted talks, about the neuroscientist that had a stroke.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html
^there it is i anyone else wants to look at it.

yeah, it's kind of like that experience. And hearing that it might be a right brain takeover makes sense, because this also happens when emotions are at their highest. I feel this a little bit when I'm laughing and when I experience something sad. Left brain is all about thought, structure and order, so losing that contact will make the world lose some of the artificial order constructed into it. I beleive the construct of self is something that's instilled in our brains at a very early age. Newborns don't know they're in the world.

The first words you connect to objects are often other objects and not something as complex as your own name or yourself, but rather a parent or a toy. Other people's self isn't developed in preschooler years either fully enough to understand the difference between inanimate objects and other people, though kids claim things pretty often as their own. Then, as a schoolage kid, we start to build an understanding between of other people as a separate entite from the entire rest of the world. Now the universe is separated into nature, yourself, and other people instead of just you and the universe. So when we break these concepts of self, we get these feelings of a grand scheme, a somewhat "religious" experience for lack of a better word.

Makes sense to me anyway.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
Must be, when you get a remarkably huge surge of it compared to the typical smaller spurts of adrenaline you get when playing sports.

It would make sense, but it still seems strange that the feeling's not panic or anything, it's kind of serene or blissful. And, it might not fit the bill on instances when adrenaline shouldn't be pumping, like when I had one while I was inside a hospital room after someone died. Otherwise, that would make 100% sense to me rather than 95% or whatever useless number I could come up with.
When people are trying to kill you, it pretty much all dumps into your brain. I've never run as fast or far before, and I remember little but brief flashes. Sports adrenaline doesn't compare, though I do enjoy it when it happens. I guess it's because you're able to use a lot more of your body's strength. I know I did.

Schwimmwagen

Once I was sitting alone in my living room waiting for my best-bud to arrive to spend the night together with me and the phone rang. I had the described feeling when I picked it up and was answered by a woman who told me that my friend had just suffered a fatal bike crash on his way to mine. It's all a feeling of total disbelief if you ask me.

Zaedrin

I've definetly felt those feelings. Can't remember a specific event, but when I'm at a sushi bar and enjoying some Hojicha Green Tea...I feel connected with everything, almost.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
I've been in two near-death situations and I can't say I've had that experience.

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.
I thought for sure this was a Randy Darkshade thread. (no hard feelings, RDS)

Well, when I was about 11, I flew down my driveway on a bicycle; it's a very steep, long incline. When I hit the curb into the street, the bike wobbled off, and I slammed into the ground at a high speed. I was tossed around across the road (didn't break or sprain anything, somehow), and probably had a concussion. I got up the instant I stopped tumbling, and while walking away, I felt as though I had a hard time controlling myself because I was doing it from another place. I managed to make it off the road before I fell, at least.

I'm fine, though.

~secret~

Banned
Banned
Once, when I fell from a great height, I felt as if I suddenly understood it all. Beyond all reason and logic, I just knew.

I also survived the fall.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
I thought for sure this was a Randy Darkshade thread. (no hard feelings, RDS)

Well, when I was about 11, I flew down my driveway on a bicycle; it's a very steep, long incline. When I hit the curb into the street, the bike wobbled off, and I slammed into the ground at a high speed. I was tossed around across the road (didn't break or sprain anything, somehow), and probably had a concussion. I got up the instant I stopped tumbling, and while walking away, I felt as though I had a hard time controlling myself because I was doing it from another place. I managed to make it off the road before I fell, at least.

I'm fine, though.

It now has all the ingredients :p
Again, no hard feelings Randy.
Luckily you didn't do any harm to yourself by getting up and moving though.

I love this TED talk, the things the brain can create. This is why I support the use of psychoactives recreationally, it fucks with your brain's connections and produces experiences that are impossible through normal stimuli.

My story of this sort of experience includes my bike aswell (the first toy given that can get a really nice speed dependant on your geography, a thrill which did not help in this next situation). Fucking around with my friends, I was going about 15mph on a bike after going down huge hills. I come to an intersection. A red van appears, and I break and turn. That feeling of decrease in time's progression begins. I only began breaking maybe about 4 yards from the car. I hit the car, having shredded any exposed skin. I get up like nothing happened. It felt like literally nothing had happened. It felt like the entire experience was a dream. I walked home with blood running all down my legs and arms and I felt nothing. I was smiling and laughing at how close it all was. I even had waved and smiled to the drivers while I picked up my bike and walked home. I had no idea what my friends were on about as they helped me to my house which was just around the corner.

Afterwards, huge rushes of pain came from each wound. Luckily, I hadn't broken anything, I just had at worst some shredded skin and some gravel embedded in my wounds. But thinking about this experience now, it kind of frightens me how I just really didn't anything.

Yep, that sounds like adrenaline.

When I did that jump, evidently I stayed underwater for around a minute or two because I literally forgot where I was. When I snapped out of it, I swam up and got a breath of air, which I really didn't feel like I needed that badly.

I forgot to talk about some other experiences where this happened. One happened with the accident I was in when I was rear ended by a car while its driver was talking to texting on a cell phone and driving 45mph+. I was hit and there was a while where I didn't know what was going on. There was also the time that I saw the person lose control on the interstate (while going 70+ mph) and spun out in front of me, which I thankfully avoided. Another episode I mentioned was when I was providing some postmortem care. Also, when I was sick and couldn't walk as a kid, I would have those moments where I'd see myself in my wheelchair and think "I'm supposed to be able to run around and not have to sit here". Whenever I'm in an intense enough pain I tend to have these spells as if my body is trained to retreat from experiencing it.

It's not all negative things. It hit me when I was graduating from high school, when I went for some award ceremonies, when I received scholarships, or when I was at parties or celebrations. That's why I was interested in talking about this stuff, cause I don't honestly understand it well.

Monster.

The future Mrs. Schmuck
I had this happen the other day; I was just sitting up in bed, staring off into space (I was half-asleep), when I heard a sound and just turned my head slowly and saw the world moving slowly. It's like all my animals were moving at a snail's crawl and my roommate (who was cleaning at the time) was being anal about one little spot on the floor. It was so weird. But as quickly as it happened, it stopped when I heard another sound. I don't know if I even heard a sound, but something triggered it.