• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Transgendered 6-year-old wins rights to girls bathroom at school.

Seekrit

A lot of children also toy with the idea of becoming an astronaut or going to Hogwarts but their parents don't send them to school wearing space helmets or robes. If the child isn't yet capable of describing in detail why Ben 10 is the greatest show on earth then they're not capable of making life-altering decisions.

These children don't exist. You've finally snapped, man. Before you could at least make sense.

[/COLOR]

A lot of children also toy with the idea of becoming an astronaut or going to Hogwarts but their parents don't send them to school wearing space helmets or robes. If the child isn't yet capable of describing in detail why Ben 10 is the greatest show on earth then they're not capable of making life-altering decisions.

Being transsexual is not a choice you dimwit.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
Has there ever been a young FtM transgender?

It seems parents are much less likely to turn their little girls into boys if they see them playing video-games or other "boyish" activities.

Icky

is the prettiest pony~

It seems parents are much less likely to turn their little girls into boys if they see them playing video-games or other "boyish" activities.

Nah, I think there are just as many tomboys. I mean, no offense to them or anything, but I've seen my share of butch young ladies. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them had as understanding parents as Coy.

There was a 7-8 year old boy on Tyra Banks show. Cute kid c: There was also 8-9 year old on a documentary, cant remember what it was called though.

Last edited:

Aleu

Deuces
Only people who listen to sociologists thing gender doesn't equate to sex. You know, the same people that gave us such wonderful things as political correctness and affirmative action.
Psychologists, dumbass. Gender identity isn't sociology, it's psychology.

Sparklepaws

The Wooflewaffle
Okay then... thread went to hell. Let me put something straight:

1. Gender identity, and sexual orientation, are not choices. This means that if a child is -intelligent and self aware-, they can observe their preferences and make decisions (even if those decisions may change later due to mental development). That being said, this may be pushed by the parents, I don't know. The point I'm trying to make is that it shouldn't be a topic in which we simply say, "Oh, they're not old enough to understand".

2. In the case that this child is indeed simply too young to understand, so what? Let them explore the possibility and learn from it one way or another. If they grow up to be transgendered, at least that won't be fucked up by the people who told them they weren't as a child. Children are curious and need to be allowed to expose themselves to life.

Seriously, there's no need to make such a fuss about this story. It's a good thing because the kid will be allowed to pursue their interests and develop who they want to be, not what the world deems required. They'll probably grow up to be a lot better than most of us.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I'm more surprised there are 6 year olds who have had sex changes. I'm not sure how a 6 year old makes an informed choice like that?

That's a more concerning thing to my mind, although I'm glad about the ruling because forbidding bathroom use is just rather silly.

Okay then... thread went to hell. Let me put something straight:

1. Gender identity, and sexual orientation, are not choices. This means that if a child is -intelligent and self aware-, they can observe their preferences and make decisions (even if those decisions may change later due to mental development). That being said, this may be pushed by the parents, I don't know. The point I'm trying to make is that it shouldn't be a topic in which we simply say, "Oh, they're not old enough to understand".

2. In the case that this child is indeed simply too young to understand, so what? Let them explore the possibility and learn from it one way or another. If they grow up to be transgendered, at least that won't be fucked up by the people who told them they weren't as a child. Children are curious and need to be allowed to expose themselves to life.

Seriously, there's no need to make such a fuss about this story. It's a good thing because the kid will be allowed to pursue their interests and develop who they want to be, not what the world deems required. They'll probably grow up to be a lot better than most of us.

Serious medical concerns.

Having a sex change can be very dangerous or may go wrong, and if a child does decide they've made the wrong decision, sex change operations are not always reversible.

I think a much healthier approach for children is to teach them that there's nothing wrong with them for identifying as another gender and that they shouldn't need to feel pressured to go under the knife to make their physical body reflect this identification, especially when they're far too young to appreciate the long term impacts or medical complications that could ensue.

Edit, for clarification is she transgendered as in, believing she is truly female, or surgically altered? My initial comments assumed the latter, but I'm not so sure now.

Last edited:

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
I'm more surprised there are 6 year olds who have had sex changes. I'm not sure how a 6 year old makes an informed choice like that?

That's a more concerning thing to my mind, although I'm glad about the ruling because forbidding bathroom use is just rather silly.

Having a sex change can be very dangerous or may go wrong, and if a child does decide they've made the wrong decision, sex change operations are not always reversible.

I think a much healthier approach for children is to teach them that there's nothing wrong with them for identifying as another gender and that they shouldn't need to feel pressured to go under the knife to make their physical body reflect this identification, especially when they're far too young to appreciate the long term impacts or medical complications that could ensue.

Edit, for clarification is she transgendered as in, believing she is truly female, or surgically altered? My initial comments assumed the latter, but I'm not so sure now.

Oh god, no. I believe she hasn't had any sort of surgery or hormones, her parents just let her live as a girl. She is fuckin' 6, still.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!

Not even legally possible in the US for her to be surgically altered.
-

I think what confuses me in this thread is that everyone thinks that the family of the girl is just indulging their kid on their whims and somehow they won this fight to let them continue to do so? This went through state courts, you know? Which means that they wouldn't have even have humored the case for a minute if it was some strange eccentric family letting their kid play pretend. Child psychologists and doctors had to go up and make statements for this. They had to say "yes this child clearly shows signs of body dysphoria and Yes that is a thing for six year-olds". I'm just saying, it's not like there isn't a leg for them to stand on here.

The thing is we're all probably projecting what we knew about ourselves at 6 to make our conclusions on what she can or cannot understand about herself and that's not necessarily correct. We're all individuals that figure out our identities at different times in our life. My uncle knew he was gay when he was five; I knew I liked girls when I was about 12. Is my experience more 'legitimate' because I was older for some reason? Because we both ended up gay.

Yes it's definitely okay to be a little weary of young children going through phases; we're all aware of how impressionable they can be. But for this age I promise that no kid under proper doctor supervision is going under a knife and getting surgery; it's actually illegal until you're an adult, so the most that is happening is gender roleplay and possibly hormonal supplements during puberty. Improperly trained psychologists are not allowed to assess a child as transgender unless they are specifically trained for gender roles. It's shown that children who are allowed to explore their identity safely are much less regretful about their choices, feel much more confident, and are much less likely to attempt suicide (almost half of transgender individuals will try some time in their life). Basically the medical community has come to the conclusion that the earlier you can help them, the better.

TL;DR: No one in this thread even bothered to read the Wikipedia article and started spewing unsupported, reactive B.S. everywhere on a legitimate condition and I am disappointed.

Sparklepaws

The Wooflewaffle

Yeah if she was going through surgery I wouldn't agree. Like I said, I believe that children should be allowed to explore the world in ways that will help them discover who they are. There's nothing wrong with letting her decide she's transgender, but allowing her to have an operation this early would be too extreme.

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
Not even legally possible in the US for her to be surgically altered.
-

I think what confuses me in this thread is that everyone thinks that the family of the girl is just indulging their kid on their whims and somehow they won this fight to let them continue to do so? This went through state courts, you know? Which means that they wouldn't have even have humored the case for a minute if it was some strange eccentric family letting their kid play pretend. Child psychologists and doctors had to go up and make statements for this. They had to say "yes this child clearly shows signs of body dysphoria and Yes that is a thing for six year-olds". I'm just saying, it's not like there isn't a leg for them to stand on here.

The thing is we're all probably projecting what we knew about ourselves at 6 to make our conclusions on what she can or cannot understand about herself and that's not necessarily correct. We're all individuals that figure out our identities at different times in our life. My uncle knew he was gay when he was five; I knew I liked girls when I was about 12. Is my experience more 'legitimate' because I was older for some reason? Because we both ended up gay.

Yes it's definitely okay to be a little weary of young children going through phases; we're all aware of how impressionable they can be. But for this age I promise that no kid under proper doctor supervision is going under a knife and getting surgery; it's actually illegal until you're an adult, so the most that is happening is gender roleplay and possibly hormonal supplements during puberty. Improperly trained psychologists are not allowed to assess a child as transgender unless they are specifically trained for gender roles. It's shown that children who are allowed to explore their identity safely are much less regretful about their choices, feel much more confident, and are much less likely to attempt suicide (almost half of transgender individuals will try some time in their life). Basically the medical community has come to the conclusion that the earlier you can help them, the better.

TL;DR: No one in this thread even bothered to read the Wikipedia article and started spewing unsupported, reactive B.S. everywhere on a legitimate condition and I am disappointed.

Exactly. This isn't some phase, no respectable judge would rule in their favor if it was.
(Not all of us were saying that though :v)

Fallowfox

Yeah if she was going through surgery I wouldn't agree. Like I said, I believe that children should be allowed to explore the world in ways that will help them discover who they are. There's nothing wrong with letting her decide she's transgender, but allowing her to have an operation this early would be too extreme.

I misinterpreted the story, my fault.

Aleu

Deuces
Pretty sure any type of surgery like that is allowed on a child unless she was born with both genitals. Even then I think it's up to the discretion of the parents. I'm not sure though. But still wouldn't involve any hormone therapy.

Fallowfox

Pretty sure any type of surgery like that is allowed on a child unless she was born with both genitals. Even then I think it's up to the discretion of the parents. I'm not sure though. But still wouldn't involve any hormone therapy.

My assumption becomes more and more stupid the more I think about it.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
Exactly. This isn't some phase, no respectable judge would rule in their favor if it was.
(Not all of us were saying that though :v)

Haha I know not everyone in here was being dumb, I was just very passionate at the time of writing :V

Foxweard

It has to be diagnosed by a professional for them to be considered legitimately transgender, from my awareness, to try and ensure against it being a whim or childhood fancy. Only once such has been diagnosed and remains, will they consider her for hormones and other therapy later on into transitioning. The same would apply to a young FtM.

Foxdoge

Shapeshifting Trickster

Identifying as a girl when you're biologically a boy at the age of six isn't really a life-altering decision. It can be undone. If the child were to, however, get a transectomy, or start taking estrogen supplements, then yes, it would be life-changing. But seeing as you need to be a consenting individual to make such decisions, and others cannot make them for you... Do you see where I'm going with this?

Also Ben 10 sucks. GET MAD.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I don't know what's going on here and I am still re-reading a few posts.
I am 12 and what is this?

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I don't know what's going on here and I am still re-reading a few posts.
I am 12 and what is this?
From what I've gathered, FAF knows fuck all about how gender identity works. Or they can't read. I'm not sure.