• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Traveling to cons via plane

Alopecoid

Hey y’all. I’m hoping to travel to a con by plane next year. I’m trying to figure out how I’m gonna get all my stuff there.

I have a disability that causes chronic pain/fatigue and limits how much I can lift, carry, walk, etc.

I’m trying to figure out how I’m gonna get all my luggage from car to airport check-in, and then from baggage claim to car when I arrive.

I’ll probably be flying solo and will have multiple bags / bins / suitcases, so I’ll definitely need some help.

Haven’t flown in many years so I’m trying to figure out the whole process. I know airports can be crazy and labyrinthine, so wanna try to plan things out in advance.

Airlines are required by law to help passengers with disabilities, but I don’t know how that plays out in real life.

Just thought maybe some of yall have pro tips from flying to cons yourselves…If anyone has advice, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
You should contact the airport and airline well before your travel to inform them of your disability, so that they can plan ahead to better accommodate your needs.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
If you're traveling through major terminals, a Skycap can be helpful. Descended from the Redcap train porter, they will help you with your bags from cubside to the ticket counter. A Skycap can also help get them from baggage pickup to the curb, too. You'll probably be checking your things through with only a single carry-on to deal with. You tip the Skycap $3 USD per bag. Don't be cheap.
If you're bringing a fursuit, put it in a 24 gallon size Rubbermaid Action Packer. This is the largest size you can use without incurring oversize fees. However, do put together a method of securing the lid (straps, reusable velcro ties, TSA padlocks) besides the two clasps on it. Also, put a packing diagram on top of everything in your action packer so the TSA d00ds will put it back the way they found it, hopefully. If you're taking a wheelchair, do talk to the airlines to see how they handle them.

Connor J. Coyote

Hey y’all. I’m hoping to travel to a con by plane next year. I’m trying to figure out how I’m gonna get all my stuff there.

I have a disability that causes chronic pain/fatigue and limits how much I can lift, carry, walk, etc.

I’m trying to figure out how I’m gonna get all my luggage from car to airport check-in, and then from baggage claim to car when I arrive.

I’ll probably be flying solo and will have multiple bags / bins / suitcases, so I’ll definitely need some help.

Haven’t flown in many years so I’m trying to figure out the whole process. I know airports can be crazy and labyrinthine, so wanna try to plan things out in advance.

Airlines are required by law to help passengers with disabilities, but I don’t know how that plays out in real life.

Just thought maybe some of yall have pro tips from flying to cons yourselves…If anyone has advice, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!
@Alopecoid Maybe pack lighter? Honestly, if you plan on taking a lot of stuff as a carry-on you might have some issues.... (not just with your disability but with the airline itself)...... seeing that: if you're flying "basic economy" or regular "standard economy" in coach - then there's limits as far as how much people can bring on board the plane with them....... assistive devices (like wheelchair's, oxygen tanks, etc,) - don't count in that limit though.

If you're flying on Jet Blue, Frontier, Spirit, or United (with basic economy) then only a personal item like a backpack can be taken on board (in addition to your assistive devices)...... Delta, American, and Southwest have more liberal policies with carry-ons.

For checked baggage though, as long as you pay for it at check-in - then they'll most likely take it all, so long as it's not too heavy (over 50 pounds)..... but with checked bags - airlines are sometimes notorious for losing, mis-directing, and damaging them........ and so, to make it easier on yourself (personally and financially due to all the bag fees you might get) - then pack lighter if you can, apart from what you need for your disability.

(What that other user said above though): about calling the airline *in advance* and letting them know about your disability is a good idea....... and there are "sky caps" at almost all airports to help get you to the counter, and the gates or whatever....... the gate agents and flight attendants can help you get seated when you check in; *but* as a disabled passenger needing assistance - keep in mind you'll probably be the last one off the plane, after everyone else leaves.

Which may be a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it.

If I was you, leaving the plane last is actually a good thing, honestly....... because you'll avoid (what I call) "the stampede" out the door with everyone else the minute the doors open...... and, you can take your time leaving and then get your luggage at the carousel which may be waiting for you when you get there.

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
Regarding your stuff, another option is to ship most of your stuff to the hotel/motel in advance, and ship it home again as you prepare to leave. Should you decide this as an option, know that you must coordinate with the hotel manager, to let them know to expect X number of boxes/luggage. Some managers may not be willing to do this. Photograph every box/luggage prior to delivery to the shipper.