• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Trigger warnings auto-corrected/set into posts?

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
As with what i've been reading on FAF, i've been hoping to change people's thoughts on things. I know, obviously, this is not going to happen. People want to be able to say what they say regardless on how others may feel, and, while i don't agree with that, it's gonna happen anyway.

So, since i know there is an auto-correct that changes slurs to asterisks. I was wondering, would it be possible if certain keywords could auto-post trigger warnings at the top of a post? or at least somewhere before the statement? I feel like this is a fair compromise. No one has to stop saying what they say but people who would be triggered or upset by it have a warning to avoid what they say.

Example being, a post with a certain offensive topic/joke could set a trigger warning at the top of the post
[trigger warning: pedophilia], etc. Is this possible?

If absolutely not, would it be too much to set it as a rule that offensive/hurtful/triggering subjects need a trigger warning written at the beginning of the post? If you're going to make a pedophilia post/joke, a trigger warning could be written in at the top? I don't feel like that would be necessarily excruciating.

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
And what would this accomplish?

helping people who have certain things trigger and upset them be able to read peacefully without mandating others to not say things.

There are better ways of avoiding posts with negative content in them.

This one sounds like a lot of work. D:

Not...really. :V there's no other way people are willing to work with as far as i've seen. Just, a delicate topic? Covering eating disorders, rape, pedophilia, mental illness, transgender, etc, just a little [trigger warning: word] at the beginning of your post is not any work at all.

Valence

Banned
Banned
I command thee, HarleyRoadkill, to contribute to society and profit thereby from the contribution theretofore. *Magic*

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
So yeah, pretty much just BAWWWW THEY SAID SOMETHING THAT HURT MY FEELINGS

No thx

It has nothing to do with "hurting feelings". I realize this concept of thinking about others is drastically above a lot of FAFers, but the concept is to prevent people from being triggered. Saying something that just is mean is different than saying that triggers flashbacks, regrets, panic attacks, etc.

Plus, would it kill you?

ramsay_baggins

WINTERFELL!
Surely having the trigger word could cause those reactions anyway, even if it's just in a warning? Just my two cents.

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
Surely having the trigger word could cause those reactions anyway, even if it's just in a warning? Just my two cents.

Actually, no. the word itself doesn't trigger, but discussion ESPECIALLY humor can. For example, the word "rape" doesn't trigger some people, but talking about it or especially a joke about it can trigger flashbacks, guilt, panic. It just is a very polite and fair gesture to everyone who might be triggered by something to put a little warning before a post like that :3. From someone who is very easily triggered by certain things, i can say it's VERY comforting knowing something is not going to be snuck up on me.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Ehh but I can see it working improperly, if it could be implemented in the first place.
You say that the trigger word would be pedophilia for example.. this wouldn't block out just jokes about it, it would block out serious topics about pedophilia.
Y'know? I can see it being beneficial in some cases but others not.

I don't think the victim would be typing in the trigger word for jokes anyways.

Last edited:

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
Ehh but I can see it working improperly, if it could be implemented in the first place.
You say that the trigger word would be pedophilia for example.. this wouldn't block out just jokes about it, it would block out serious topics about pedophilia.

yea see, that's why i think it should just be trigger warnings. not, like, post cuts that you have to click or anything that hides text, just heads up for people. Some people don't wanna discuss pedophilia AT ALL, even in a peaceful manner, and a little heads up like "hey, this post discusses pedophilia" would just be a nice little warning so people don't get triggered. That way, people can carry on their discussion fine and people who don't want to/can't read it don't have to. Especially since FAF is BAD about derailing a completely innocent topic into offensive and hateful humor, haha.

Volkodav

Dad****er
yea see, that's why i think it should just be trigger warnings. not, like, post cuts that you have to click or anything that hides text, just heads up for people. Some people don't wanna discuss pedophilia AT ALL, even in a peaceful manner, and a little heads up like "hey, this post discusses pedophilia" would just be a nice little warning so people don't get triggered. That way, people can carry on their discussion fine and people who don't want to/can't read it don't have to. Especially since FAF is BAD about derailing a completely innocent topic into offensive and hateful humor, haha.
Well if someone makes a thread with "pedophilia" in the title, they can choose whether or not they want to read it

L

LizardKing

Seems a waste of time for the majority of people. If there was such a thing, presumably it would be turned off by default, and could be enabled on a per-user basis. I know it would be easy enough to make some greasemonkey script to do it, but that's probably not too useful.

Also the filters were disabled. Snigger.

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
Well if someone makes a thread with "pedophilia" in the title, they can choose whether or not they want to read it

Butsee, like i said, some people go into a thread about something totally innocent and people are making rape jokes by page five. or one is just snuck in and that can REALLY upset someone. it's just a nice gesture overall :)

Seems a waste of time for the majority of people. If there was such a thing, presumably it would be turned off by default, and could be enabled on a per-user basis. I know it would be easy enough to make some greasemonkey script to do it, but that's probably not too useful.

Also the filters were disabled. Snigger.

i'd like to see it a mandatory introductory to a post. i don't think it'd be a waste of time at all if people typed it at the top of their post instead of setting an auto-correct, and it would really help people who struggle with triggers. That may not seem like an important thing to some people, but i know to some it means the world to just get that little bit of courtesy.

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts
Or people could take care of their own goddamn problems, instead of relying on censorship not to get mad. "Dealing with the source of the problem, not the symptoms" and all that.

I hardly see why it would be needed just because some people fly off the hook easily. I'm not against common courtesy and can be mindful of other people's feelings, but there a line behind which those feelings are ridiculous and shouldn't be paid any mind.

Last edited:

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
Or people could take care of their own goddamn problems, instead of relying on censorship not to get mad. "Dealing with the source of the problem, not the symptoms" and all that.

I hardly see why it would be needed just because some people fly off the hook easily. I'm not against common courtesy and can be mindful of other people's feelings, but there a line behind which those feelings are ridiculous and shouldn't be paid any mind.

Nosee, the problem with that is not about "dealing with your own goddamn problems" but stemming from people NOT being able to help it. You can't HELP being triggered and NO amount of therapy will ever fix that for some people. Some can move on easily, some never move on; and it's not a difficult thing to put a trigger warning at the top of your post. You make it seem like it's so imposing on you, it seems. ALSO, we're not talking about "fly off the hook" reactions. This isn't for people who have tantrums over certain subjects, this is about people are legitimately shaken up and triggered into things like panic, dysphoria, even nausea and disorientation. They can't HELP it. it's not about hissyfits, and it's not "ridiculous". It can't be helped, and some people really just cannot handle certain things.

Rather than telling them what websites to go on and what not to go on, i don't see why FAF, as big a community as it is, can't have a compromise. You can still have your discussions and jokes, and people who are trying to avoid them can safely avoid them.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
Riiiiiiggghhht...

Because deciding what topics are "offensive" and thus get censored won't offend anyone.

Religion is a hot topic, right? People get upset about it. No way anyone might get upset that their religious beliefs are blooped out right alongside pedophilia and bestiality.

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts
Ok, so I'll bite. Let's say those people have a condition and there's nothing to do about it.

Rather than telling them what websites to go on and what not to go on, i don't see why FAF, as big a community as it is, can't have a compromise. You can still have your discussions and jokes, and people who are trying to avoid them can safely avoid them.

And how may I know what can be a trigger? EVERYTHING can be, in that case. You're concentrating on some specificissues, but there may be thousands of them. Best course of action is to put a big warning sign next to the banner saying "CONTROVERSIAL MATERIAL ON THIS FORUM, YOU MIGHT GET UPSET".

Honestly, if people have a problem of this kind, I'm pretty sure they know how to deal with it, because life doesn't have warning tags and they'll experience it daily. If they don't, because they're special snowflakes and expect everyone will magically read their mind to know they have a problem... well, they have a problem. What you're proposing is too vague and redundant to be practical.

Not to mention I honestly never heard about any other site/forum ever discussing this issue.

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
Problems so serious therapy can't help it and the slightest discussion will trigger an outburst = stay off the internet.

The internet will not censor itself to prevent someone from getting butthurt by their personal issues.

It's not BUTTHURT, jeez. Prime example being: a discussion about something completely unrelated, and SOMEHOW the discussion derails to discussion of bestiality or rape. People aren't expecting that. Some people, a rape victim being an example, can get very triggered into flashbacks by reading jokes or topics about then when they aren't related to the OP which would be a fair warning in itself. A simple [trigger warning: rape] would not hurt you at all. it wouldn't be any difficulty at all, people just seem to refuse to want to do things to be nice because they don't like more emotional people.

Honestly, it boils down to the internet NOT WANTING to be nice. it doesn't affect anyone in a negative way to put trigger warnings at the top of their posts if they feel it mandatory to make a rape joke. You want to impose on someone who is very upset by rape jokes, be polite and put a warning. It's EQUALITY. you're no more deserving of your right to be on here and say what you want than they are to be on here and not want to read some things.

Because deciding what topics are "offensive" and thus get censored won't offend anyone.

Religion is a hot topic, right? People get upset about it. No way anyone might get upset that their religious beliefs are blooped out right alongside pedophilia and bestiality.

It's not about "offending" anyone! Goodness, i've said that like four times, you people are obviously not reading anything other than the OP.
Some people are very triggered by things like rape, pedophilia, abuse, weight jokes, etc. It triggers panic, dysphoria, guilt, nausea, mood swings. They can't HELP it. it's not getting "offended", it's getting triggered into a negative emotion AGAINST THEIR WILL. i'm not at all speaking about people who have hissyfits over a topic they just don't LIKE.

it's not about getting OFFENDED. and honestly, if someone gets OFFENDED that they have to put a little [trigger warning: religion] at the top of their post then they're ten times more difficult than someone who just would really rather not read it.

Ok, so I'll bite. Let's say those people have a condition and there's nothing to do about it.

And how may I know what can be a trigger? EVERYTHING can be, in that case. You're concentrating on some specificissues, but there may be thousands of them. Best course of action is to put a big warning sign next to the banner saying "CONTROVERSIAL MATERIAL ON THIS FORUM, YOU MIGHT GET UPSET".

Not to mention I honestly never heard about any other site/forum ever discussing this issue.

i'd say a good start would be the obvious, most triggering things. Weight jokes (eating disorders), rape jokes (obviously), pedophilia or bestiality (heavy topics can trigger some into a sense of panic). I don't think it's necessary in a topic that states in the title what the matter is, but in a board where threads are derailed so often, i think it's a nice gesture. I just feel like people want to make their offensive jokes without having to be nice to people who would be legitimately hurt by them and not just "offended".

Last edited: