• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Troll, disgruntled admin, or hacked admin hiding harmless comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alstor

And twice as shiny
It's sad to realize how many bugs FA has.

It's even worse when new features have a security vulnerability that seems obvious..
I was tempted to see if such a coding loophole existed, but I didn't bother.. I .. HAHA.. I HOPED it was done right.
Guess not.
...wait. You're JUST realizing this? After the site crashed many times due to vulnerabilities.
Welcome to FurAffinity, with its one man coding team.

Also, I'm pretty sure it was Eevee.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
OMG WHAT?! Since going into read only mode ANOTHER one of my harmless comments ON MY OWN SUBMISSION has been hidden. I've been refreashing the page to see if the hidden comment would re-appear, hoping they fixed it and put things right, but NOPE! Another one gone!
What is going on here? Even if it is a hacker, the site is in read only mode... so, shouldn't they not be able to do that? o_O Or is it really admins and the locked the site up so they could go comment block happy maybe... >:/
You can still view images and hide comments in read only mode. You just can't submit and view certain things.

If this really were a hacker, you would be locked out of your own account. Are you signed in?

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
It could of been a good feature if done right :/ like having control over your own submissions and journals for one things, or being able to choose if you want to see a hidden comment or not, like on DA and YouTube... but this is just not cool
The DA and Youtube systems are terrible, though. Their solution appears more to be "Let users have absolute reign on profiles, expect them to be civil and intelligent in their power use", when practically anyone who has been in a debate on either of those sites knows is just too much to hope for. When it's a common tactic for people to resolve a debate by responding to your most recent comment, blocking you, then leaving a comment on your page - both comments antagonizing and condescending - before hiding any comments you made, such systems don't work too hot.

Not to say there's many better alternatives. Just that the systems for DA and Youtube are still pretty poor. Youtubes' is different from DA, of course, but there it is often easier to remove unsightly comments and the like through other means (for instance, removing a video response by filing a false DMCA claim so that, when finally resolved, it has likely been weeks and the DMCA'd person doesn't want the effort to countering your false uses).

TheKidiKehT

There's a loophole in the coding for the site's comment removal. Currently, a MEMBER, not even a staffer can actually remove shit. So they pout it in read only mode while they patch the exploit.

While IN READ ONLY mode Angel's comments got removed, though :/

AngelAito

ZackYuki
There's a loophole in the coding for the site's comment removal. Currently, a MEMBER, not even a staffer can actually remove shit. So they pout it in read only mode while they patch the exploit.

Well yeah, but you would think they couldn't do that while the site was in read-only mode, yet more comments are dissapearing :/

redfoxnudetoons

Banned
Banned
xw8p7.jpg

O:

Figures.....

Well yeah, but you would think they couldn't do that while the site was in read-only mode, yet more comments are dissapearing :/

In Read-Only mode, admins can still do stuff. Did Eevee figure out the admin glitch? Most likely.

Ainoko

The Wild And Crazy Hybrid
OMG WHAT?! Since going into read only mode ANOTHER one of my harmless comments ON MY OWN SUBMISSION has been hidden. I've been refreashing the page to see if the hidden comment would re-appear, hoping they fixed it and put things right, but NOPE! Another one gone!
What is going on here? Even if it is a hacker, the site is in read only mode... so, shouldn't they not be able to do that? o_O Or is it really admins and the locked the site up so they could go comment block happy maybe... >:/

Seems that a former admin is exploiting some loopholes and causing problems and reporting them to the active admins.

It also seems that Evee was tweeting about this since the 13th.

AngelAito

ZackYuki
You can still view images and hide comments in read only mode. You just can't submit and view certain things.

If this really were a hacker, you would be locked out of your own account. Are you signed in?

I never said it was someone hacked onto my account :/ when I said hacker, I meant it as a general term for some troll going around and messing with the site codeing so they could hide anything.

TheKidiKehT

Ok, so if you can still hide comments while in READ ONLY mode, then what the feck was the damned point? So people wouldn't note-bomb the admins? I mean seriously. READ ONLY mode should put the entire site into it. Not allow features to still work and thus allow said troll or who the hell ever to keep messing things up

Attaman

Also, ITT: Troll being thrown around more than a life-sized Renamon or Krystal doll at AC.

Ainoko

Attaman

good question
The issue might have been thought resolved? While I imagine coding FA isn't the most difficult task a programmer could be given, it cannot be the easiest either. Considering how much stuff has to be put in, not impossible that fixing some backdoor in the system accidentally unlocked that one window behind the kitchen sink.

Ainoko

The issue might have been thought resolved? While I imagine coding FA isn't the most difficult task a programmer could be given, it cannot be the easiest either. Considering how much stuff has to be put in, not impossible that fixing some backdoor in the system accidentally unlocked that one window behind the kitchen sink.

Sounds like windows

InuAkiko

Waiting for life to get good

My thoughts exactly, I just couldn't think of a clever enough analogy to share. Well said.

Attaman

EDIT: Cutting the top out, since you could have meant something else. Keeping bottom instead.

Since I'm non-familiar with Eevee, odds of this being malicious as opposed to just dickery? Or even being Eevee?

Ship-Wreck

Aspiring Toy Designer!
I don't really know. I'm just kinda curious if it's one of those cases of the admins not thinking Eevee's tweet was credible, and just ignoring it, or maybe they were trying to look into it and just didn't tell us, or maybe it's something completely different. All I know is that I would like an update of what exactly is happening. If the site it in read-only mode, someone should give us an update on what they know, even if the update is "We aren't sure whats happening yet".

Rossyfox

Banned
Banned
The most delicious thing about this exploit is not that anyone can delete a comment, but that it says the ADMINS did it. A+!

Maikeru

No-talent .hack//SIGN
any hacking that breaks something is both malicious and dickery.... so Both.

If Eevee wasn't the one to expose it (and he DID give the staff two days to figure out hey, this might be a bad thing), someone else would have.

Regardless, this brought a problem with the site to the admins' attention, and maybe they'll actually fix it. (wishful thinking?)

It's not a bug, or a hacked account, it's an exploit, and a really, REALLY obvious one, too. I'm appalled that it wasn't caught before release of the new feature, and wasn't fixed until now (it was demonstrated a couple days ago, when the update was first rolled out).

There's also another that allows viewing/replying to hidden comments.

Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed this feature was rolled out in the first place without community input... like basically every other broken "feature" they've dumped on us for the last year or so. Way too much potential for abuse in its current implementation, even disregarding the exploits.

EDIT: Am I the only one annoyed by the fact that the site status forum is NEVER used to inform the users of the site status?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.