• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Trouble Ticket Policy for Site Admins?

Xenke

Oh. Maybe he was just removed from the visible list when you click on the "staff" button but not yet had his powers removed? Maybe it's just a mistake or coincidence or whatever. As the old saying goes, never assume malice when good ol' ineffectiveness suffices.

It's still annoying. I'm assuming to takes something like one or two clicks to change a user from an admin to a regular user, pretty much as easy as it is to remove someone from the admin page, and it still hasn't been addressed?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
No he was removed, and then just as easily gave the admin access back. So ...yeah...

welcome to the house of waffles.

Fiz

shut up bitch
So is the admin that just now got their account broken into gonna be reinstated too?????

Might as well just give everyone their admin back despite the repeated mistakes! GOSH

Summercat

Former Motterator
So is the admin that just now got their account broken into gonna be reinstated too?????

Might as well just give everyone their admin back despite the repeated mistakes! GOSH

Actually, no. Rhainor requested that we not re-admin him at this time, as he was already considering leaving temporarily due to being moved to full time at his job, and wouldn't have as much free time to help FA out.

Fiz

shut up bitch
Actually, no. Rhainor requested that we not re-admin him at this time, as he was already considering leaving temporarily due to being moved to full time at his job, and wouldn't have as much free time to help FA out.

Well hey, that works.

Diocletian

Banned
Banned
Glaide was de-admin'ed in 2007 for not doing anything for months on end. He promptly demanded to be re-admin'ed (it was unfair and feelings were hurt), and he was immediately allowed back and he gave his word that he would be active. He promptly went back to doing nothing for a few more years.

When Silverrwolfe immediately gets his tarnished and dusty-from-disuse @ back, why, it is just the same old thing all over again.

Ben

Banned
Banned
Glaide was de-admin'ed in 2007 for not doing anything for months on end. He promptly demanded to be re-admin'ed (it was unfair and feelings were hurt), and he was immediately allowed back and he gave his word that he would be active. He promptly went back to doing nothing for a few more years.

When Silverrwolfe immediately gets his tarnished and dusty-from-disuse @ back, why, it is just the same old thing all over again.

What makes that story even more mystifying is that some admins were clearly disallowed from having mod powers on the forum after the December '10 hack occurred, likely due to not caring about it-- and yet Glaide was reinstated as a supermod when the forum came back up. What I don't get is though, how is communication supposed to be improved if not all the admins have access to the admin forums? They clearly did it out of concerns for security, and yet it means keeping certain admins out of the loop, like Bijoux, Rhainor, FoxAmoore and SilverWolfe. In the end, it seems it was a hamfisted way to solve one problem, and only furthered the problem with another.

Last edited:

Diocletian

Banned
Banned
It's always been the case that not all admins have been in the loop. As I think I've mentioned, Wicht, Glaide or Silverrwolfe went for months at a time without reading the forums or going on the staff IRC channel, and that was 3 years ago.

For a portion of the staff to have no idea what is going on is business as usual.

Summercat

Former Motterator
What makes that story even more mystifying is that some admins were clearly disallowed from having mod powers on the forum after the December '10 hack occurred, likely due to not caring about it-- and yet Glaide was reinstated as a supermod when the forum came back up. What I don't get is though, how is communication supposed to be improved if not all the admins have access to the admin forums? They clearly did it out of concerns for security, and yet it means keeping certain admins out of the loop, like Bijoux, Rhainor, FoxAmoore and SilverWolfe. In the end, it seems it was a hamfisted way to solve one problem, and only furthered the problem with another.

In that sense, we now have an additional method of communication for the admins for issues, one that is internal to FA mainsite. So hopefully we can start smoothing out some of these wrinkles.

Diocletian

Banned
Banned
we now have an additional method of communication for the admins for issues, one that is internal to FA mainsite. So hopefully we can start smoothing out some of these wrinkles.

What guarantee is there that lazy admins won't ignore it as they've ignored all the other methods of communication?

Especially given that as Silverrwolfe so recently shows, you can simply demand your @ back and Sean will cave right in.

Summercat

Former Motterator
What guarantee is there that lazy admins won't ignore it as they've ignored all the other methods of communication?

Especially given that as Silverrwolfe so recently shows, you can simply demand your @ back and Sean will cave right in.

Ignore is another issue entirely. Some issues are just not getting around to admins due to poor communication channels.

Diocletian

Banned
Banned
Ignore is another issue entirely. Some issues are just not getting around to admins due to poor communication channels.

There is already a staff IRC channel and admin forum/s, on top of notes/PMs/etc. It's not an issue of poor communication channels: it's an issue of lazy admins and Sean not communicating in the appropriate places and ignoring some people.

Summercat

Former Motterator
There is already a staff IRC channel and admin forum/s, on top of notes/PMs/etc. It's not an issue of poor communication channels: it's an issue of lazy admins and Sean not communicating in the appropriate places and ignoring some people.

No, on several separate issues, and while you are awfully quick to blame Dragoneer over this, he is by no means the worst offender when it comes to this. I can't really blame 'lazy admins' unless you wish to include me in that company, as I keep not getting certain information as well - and I'm on IRC almost constantly, and the only time I don't check FA at least once a half hour is when I'm asleep. There's not any reason why I should be out of the loop on anything, aside from poor communication channels.

Until we can get a look on where those are failing, I can't really pin any blame on 'idle' or 'lazy' admins, since if they haven't received any notice on something, then they honestly wouldn't know.

EDIT:

This is in regards to communication only. Doing admin work is another issue entirely.

Diocletian

Banned
Banned
Sean took FA into his hands; he runs the site, there is no lead admin. He does not effectively/consistently delegate on certain matters, and therefore responsibility lies with him.

So, there is an admin forum. There is a staff IRC channel. There are notes and PMs. Instead Sean is using twitter, engaging in chats on deviant-art and giving interviews to Brazilian furry sites to convey information about downtime et al. I believe he also goes out of contact at the weekends. Lazy parasite admins do not communicate with the rest of the staff and only add to this morass with their barnacle like clinging to their @'s. All that is where the communication problem is.

If he would have FA run a little better, I think Sean needs to effectively delegate more and use the proper communication channels with the active staff (and not ignore them!), he also needs to let the lazy admins go once and for all.

It's farcical that Silver is allowed his @ back and it makes a completely mockery of this trouble ticket policy and Sean's promises. I hope that Sean wakes/faces up to what is happening ASAP. Ignoring it won't make it go away and nor will threatening do anything except drive away/burn out active staff.

Last edited:

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
Maybe using Twitter to get to him might help a bit but may have varied results.

Silver is a whiny bitch who does not deserve that @ as it shows he does not use it and waves it like an e-penis badge to friends and Wicht as seen above is an arrogant lazy bastard who doesn't do nothing at all either. This is unacceptable and I don't even know why Sean is allowing all this bullshit to persist for years on end. A real site owner would deal with 'corrosive' lazy staff promptly and would be more open with communication with the community and the rest of the staff as well, without being sidetracked by stupid shit on Twitter.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Glaice, we have had over 500 posts trying to keep it civil. I ask you do the same or I will have you banned.

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
Sorry about that if it's too abrasive, I guess it was some frustration after reading the last few posts.

WarMocK

I like to nuke ^^
*sigh*
Okay, i think it's time to show up in here as well and donate my 2 cents of wisdom.
First of all, I want to thank you people wo say that the ones who answer the tickets (more less) do a good job, and I want to apologize to those who have to wait for an answer. BUT - and it's a really big BUT - I must ask you not to point your fingers at just one of the many issues you have - you#ll inevitably point three fingers at yourself at the same time, and for a good reason.
Allow me to explain this a bit with a simple example, namely the content of a trouble ticket I tried to answer 4 days ago, with NO reply from the user who wrote it. I am NOT gonna add anything to the ticket's content, and I do NOT leave anything out, and before anyone starts complaining about me giving out 2private information written in a trouble ticket": eat my shorts and read what I posted before complaining: :v

The content of the ticket was:
"He's harrassing one of my friends and unfairly reporting him when he's doing nothing. This is based on personal beef trying to get back at him"

Now, anybody with at least som common sense would call for a time-out at this point and start asking:"HUH?! Who? What did he do? Why isn't HE reporting the issue?!". It might seem amusing to you if you see this once, but guess what: it happens damn often! We get a lot of tickets that fall under the following category:
- Technical problems: Stuff concerning issues that we (the admins who just deal with the tickets and otherwise keep the site running) cannot answer because they are too technical, or are common probs like avatars not showing up after an avatar change (for those who have this prob and are reading this: press Ctrl + F5 to clear the browser cache, that does the trick in 99.9 percent of the time ,-)).
- ABC-Tickets: User A reports user B for attacking user C. Now we all know that there's a lot of bickering on the site, welcome to the internet. And guess what: we got the "hide comment" function on the site for some time now, and if users are trolled they can simply hide the comment and move along as if nothing had happened. But instead of following the old wisdom "don't feed the troll" and ignoring the harassing comment (and simply hiding it), either the ones being trolled or their friends start debating with those people and report them immediately. The result: we get tickets from BOTH the people who were harassed AND their buddies, among with a lot of comments to delete. In my opinion, approximately 80 percent of these comments do not even require a report, just ignore and remove them - saves both you and us a lot of headaches. ;-)
- improperly written tickets: see the example above, and copy this pattern to art theft, flooding, prohibited screenshots etc. Do I really need to say more?
-Off-site issues: I know it's extremely disappointing and annoying if you get conned from someone, or if you have a struggle with someone, but please, The site rules say it: what happens outside of FA stays off FA! We simply cannot do anything about an artists that has gotten money from you without delivering the artwork, that's a job for the police. Same goes for off-site harassment: we cannot ban anyone who hasn't done anything wrong on FA yet. If they start going after you on FA, we can kick them out. as for the fraud issue: there's a board where you can report stuff like that, but I'm not gonna name it at this point as I do not want to encourage some idiots to abuse it. I#m certain most of you people know what solution I mean. ;-)

To sum it up: we need the userbase to help us a bit as well, it isn't that hard really:
1) Write proper tickets. Witchiebunny once wrote a very good journal about it, maybe she can post a link later
2) Do not report people who didn't attack you personally. The ONLY exception is if it is someone who trolled other people as well. If you WERE attacked, ignore the post and hide it. If hidin desn't work for some reason, you can send a ticket asking an admin to do it for you (and add the link to the comment! I got a lot of tickets about this topic with no link in it, and had to ask for it and wait for a looooooooooong time until I got an answer - if i got one at all)
3) Do not send us tickets about someone who conned you or harassed you outside of FA. We are NOT able to do anything about it from a legal standpoint, as the commission is a deal done only between you and the artist. On a sidenote, please do not start accusing the artist in a journal or something. Use the board I "mentioned" above. You may, however, write a journal about the fact that you have been had and tell people to have a look at "you know where", nobody can sue you for that (especially not us).
If you follow all these suggestions you will already help us admins a lot, and digging through the tickets will be a lot easier. There are other probs that keep us busy, but those are technical issues I do not want to talk about at this point. Sorry.
Thank you for your time and for reading this.

Regards,
WarMocK
[Fur Affinity Administation]

PS: There will be an update in the AUP soon, and it will contain a new subsection I have been working on for months (shouldn't have taken so long, but I have a lot of work in RL you know). It will deal with questions about stock models, retexturing, and animations. Many thanks to Deskai, 3DiNoZ and Rencat at this point for helping me out with writing them. I wouldn't have been able to finalize them up to the point they are now. Thank you very much, guys, you were a great help!

MandertehPander

That backstabbing betch.
I'm sorry... but how does writing proper tickets help the fact that we have lazy admins to begin with...? You can post all you want about people not writing tickets right and asking them to follow a certain policy when doing so, but fact is people are still going to do it.
Now, if there were.. say, admins that did their job, and didn't wave the "@" around like badge and a life accomplishment, those tickets could be closed sooner and not a problem.

:/

Pi

Did you not read the second line?

Audit your goddamn security and wipe out the inactive admins. And stop trying to silence critical voices.

And while I'm at it:

Simplify your internal communications. Make ONE official source. At current count, you have IRC, Forums, IM, Steam, Twitter, main-site notes, your helpdesk nast, your wiki, and the TT system. That doesn't even begin to count where admins chatter and leak out information at a slow, inconsistent rate (FD_2, lulz, dA chat). Is it any wonder none of you people have any clue what's going on?

Last edited:

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
Did you not read the second line?

Audit your goddamn security and wipe out the inactive admins. And stop trying to silence critical voices.
I'm not trying to silence critical voices, but I didn't think it would matter a lot to have that second line gone, since you said that a billion times already. We all know what your view is on this case.
The post as a whole was just useless enough to warrant a delete, as specified in the deletion reason.