• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Trump administration launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakamaru

Summertime woofer
www.nbcnews.com: Trump administration launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality

"BERLIN — The Trump administration is launching a global campaign to end the criminalization of homosexuality in dozens of nations where it's still illegal to be gay, U.S. officials tell NBC News, a bid aimed in part at denouncing Iran over its human rights record.

U.S. Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell, the highest-profile openly gay person in the Trump administration, is leading the effort, which kicks off Tuesday evening in Berlin. The U.S. embassy is flying in LGBT activists from across Europe for a strategy dinner to plan to push for decriminalization in places that still outlaw homosexuality — mostly concentrated in the Middle East, Africa and the Caribbean.

“It is concerning that, in the 21st century, some 70 countries continue to have laws that criminalize LGBTI status or conduct,” said a U.S. official involved in organizing the event."

From Tim Pool on the topic, if you don't fancy reading and prefer a voice to listen to, and his own take on the subject:

You know.. I expected this to happen at some point, but not during Trump's first term. This is a step in the right direction, and I look forward to hearing and/or seeing more of this or similar news in the next 5 years.

D

Dat Wolf

*tries to make LGBT legal in countries that hate us*
*proceeds to get nuked by Iran or some country led by a nutcase with nuclear weapons*
>:/

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I would applaud this if it wasn't merely a distraction.

D

Deleted member 111470

If this is true and they actually make an effort to help countries such as where I live, then that is commendable. Being openly gay or supporting gay people here can be suicidal, and I have personally witnessed a case where people bragged their brains out for sending a gay boy to the hospital after beating him to a pulp. That happened when I was in high school and it was highschoolers who did it.

Things have somewhat calmed down since then, and aren't as unspeakable in the capital city. But people's minds are still ridden with extreme homophobia and hatred. Unless we get external help I can't see a scenario where people stop being so disgusting. At least not in the foreseeable future.

Tendo64

Siamese Weeb
If this is true and they actually make an effort to help countries such as where I live, then that is commendable. Being openly gay or supporting gay people here can be suicidal, and I have personally witnessed a case where people bragged their brains out for sending a gay boy to the hospital after beating him to a pulp. That happened when I was in high school and it was highschoolers who did it.

Things have somewhat calmed down since then, and aren't as unspeakable in the capital city. But people's minds are still ridden with extreme homophobia and hatred. Unless we get external help I can't see a scenario where people stop being so disgusting. At least not in the foreseeable future.
Man, stories like that piss me off. I hope that guy recovered.

I don't know how to feel about the Trump administration considering I am not informed whatsoever, but I think that if they're serious about this, I'll at least respect this action in particular.

D

Deleted member 111470

Man, stories like that piss me off. I hope that guy recovered.

I don't know how to feel about the Trump administration considering I am not informed whatsoever, but I think that if they're serious about this, I'll at least respect this action in particular.

From what I was able to gather - he did recover, and he moved out of this town. Whether he went away in a foreign country or not, I can never know.

C

CrookedCroc

Hope something good comes out of this.
I know some artists and online friends that have to hide their sexuality because they fear for their lives.

I've even seen mobs of people that turn their LGTB "friends" to the police over political disagreements online.

EmmyCatto

I don’t use this site anymore
It’s interesting, but given how anti-LGBT the administration is, I have to agree with many others in his thread who say that this is nothing but a distraction. I do hope something good can come out of this, though I also wouldn’t be surprised if something from this backfired horribly.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I'm not going to say no to the idea, but at the same time he hasn't fulfilled the other grand projects he proposed completing in the first year, so I have no reason to suspect he will do anything he says he will.

Also, this is quite the opposite of the "America first" decision-making this administration was built on. This inconsistency does not look good for them. It generates uncertainty that concerns even the majority of his voters at this point.

As much as I support the idea, it just isn't realistic for this administration already in their 3rd year. It looks like bullshit.

Yakamaru

Summertime woofer

Indeed. Countries such as your own could definitely use the same level of rights and basic human respect and treatment as the US or other western nations.

Whether this is all talk and no action is yet to be seen. But if they put their money where their mouth is, boy will countries such as Saudi Arabia, The Congo, Afghanistan and other primarily Asian and African countries get a lot of flak on the world stage. Some European, especially East European countries will get flak too.

Hope something good comes out of this.
I know some artists and online friends that have to hide their sexuality because they fear for their lives.

I've even seen mobs of people that turn their LGTB "friends" to the police over political disagreements online.
Indeed.

We've come to a point in our lives where we may actually see more of the same streamlined rights for people across the board, at least as far as basic human rights and decency is concerned.

If Saudi Arabia end up with the same LGBT rights as America or somewhere to that in my lifetime I will no doubt celebrate.

But I understand people's skepticism on the matter, and so am I. Only time will tell if this is going to actually be a reality, or if it's just talk.

Though for being called anti-LGBT they are doing a pisspoor fucking job of being it, considering you are seeing more gays and women in the administration than ever before.

Last edited:

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
As others have said: If this is the start of a serious push or endeavor, then going through the motions of being concerned as to the treatment of LGBTQ+ persons in places like Russia or Saudi Arabia or so-on is a step in the right direction.

Also as said by others, there's a lot of reasons to believe that there will not be a serious push or endeavor by the administration on the matter and that this is a distraction considering its... shall we say, bumpy history on the matter. For that matter, I'm not entirely sure if Trump's ever spoken out publicly or admonished his Vice Presidential pick - Mike Pence - for his... shall we say, absolutely horrifying stance on "Conversion Camps".

Also before anyone brings up the LGBTQ+ wave of the 2018 Mid-Terms, I'll note that it's a bit disingenuous to give any credit there to Trump considering that of the 399-ish LGBTQ+ candidates on ballots in that election, only eighteen were Republican.

I

Infrarednexus

Here's my opinion,

Any proposed effort to help reduce the cruelty towards gays, trans, and lesbians in countries where they are jailed, tortured, and executed is a step in the right direction, unless the motivation behind it is malicious and not in good intentions. I will choose to be optimistic on this one, not for Trump or his administration, but for gays and other minorities that live in places where they are abused and terrified.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
I'd find this to be a positive revelation, I'm not too upset over what administration or camp that it comes from. That is of course, considering he follows through. Call be naively optimistic, but I think he will.

Faexie

Rara for short :)
From what I've seen of Trump he can be really childish at times, does things that are useless or goes against his own goals (the wall for example: most illegal immigrants come by plane or boat anyway, and also he's sending tons of soldiers even though soldiers can't shoot them or arrest them, all they can do (and are obligated to) is to help the injured and the endangered.)

But I believe that everyone can find the motivation to do something good. A broken clock is right twice a day after all. Also you may call me naive, but I believe that wrongdoers tend to have good intentions, or at least could have been good under different circumstances.

Connor J. Coyote

www.nbcnews.com: Trump administration launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality

"BERLIN — The Trump administration is launching a global campaign to end the criminalization of homosexuality in dozens of nations where it's still illegal to be gay, U.S. officials tell NBC News, a bid aimed in part at denouncing Iran over its human rights record.

U.S. Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell, the highest-profile openly gay person in the Trump administration, is leading the effort, which kicks off Tuesday evening in Berlin. The U.S. embassy is flying in LGBT activists from across Europe for a strategy dinner to plan to push for decriminalization in places that still outlaw homosexuality — mostly concentrated in the Middle East, Africa and the Caribbean.

“It is concerning that, in the 21st century, some 70 countries continue to have laws that criminalize LGBTI status or conduct,” said a U.S. official involved in organizing the event."

From Tim Pool on the topic, if you don't fancy reading and prefer a voice to listen to, and his own take on the subject:

You know.. I expected this to happen at some point, but not during Trump's first term. This is a step in the right direction, and I look forward to hearing and/or seeing more of this or similar news in the next 5 years.
According to my read of it - it could be more of just an "ends to justify the means" (on the part of the Administration)... whereas the gay rights (and human rights) issues are simply being "used" to go after Iran, right now - (by denouncing them over their human rights records).. but (in fact) the *real* issues (behind all these maneuvers) is the 2015 "nuclear deal", the sanctions (that Trump wants) and the passive approach that the EU has been taking on these issues with them.

I dunno.. (call me cynical), but by banning transgender people from the US military (which is supported by the Administration and is currently being hashed out in the Courts), which was actcually in the news also, only just only a few weeks ago - it seems odd to me that the "gay rights" issue would now be at the forefront of their minds, (globally).

Now, don't get me wrong - I completely agree that the recent anti-gay hangings (in Iran) are horrible - but, (frankly) that's nothing really new over there, (in those parts of the World).. as it's been going on for many years now.

So... why all of a sudden, is there a dire need to address this issue now? If the so-called "nuclear deal" wasn't currently on the table - would they be discussing this right now?

Hmmmm... (I wonder). :confused:

Yakamaru

Summertime woofer
Here's my opinion,

Any proposed effort to help reduce the cruelty towards gays, trans, and lesbians in countries where they are jailed, tortured, and executed is a step in the right direction, unless the motivation behind it is malicious and not in good intentions. I will choose to be optimistic on this one, not for Trump or his administration, but for gays and other minorities that live in places where they are abused and terrified.
We'll see how this goes. This is an administration that do what they say they will do, including the President.

Social change can easily take decades, and legal changes usually only occur after social change. Social change come by changing the hearts and minds of people, and in order to do that we need conversation to happen, and a lot of it.

According to my read of it - it could be more of just an "ends to justify the means" (on the part of the Administration)... whereas the gay rights (and human rights) issues are simply being "used" to go after Iran, right now - (by denouncing them over their human rights records).. but (in fact) the *real* issues (behind all these maneuvers) is the 2015 "nuclear deal", the sanctions (that Trump wants) and the passive approach that the EU has been taking on these issues with them.

I dunno.. (call me cynical), but by banning transgender people from the US military (which is supported by the Administration and is currently being hashed out in the Courts), which was actcually in the news also, only just only a few weeks ago - it seems odd to me that the "gay rights" issue would now be at the forefront of their minds, (globally).

Now, don't get me wrong - I completely agree that the recent anti-gay hangings (in Iran) are horrible - but, (frankly) that's nothing really new over there, (in those parts of the World).. as it's been going on for many years now.

So... why all of a sudden, is there a dire need to address this issue now? If the so-called "nuclear deal" wasn't currently on the table - would they be discussing this right now?

Hmmmm... (I wonder). :confused:
Personally I will take this at face value until we have anything else to go on. Correlation is not causation, and I am not interested in pulling an Alex Jones.

quoting_mungo

To me it largely appears to be an attempt to curry favor with a lukewarm-at-best voter base and/or an excuse to fuck with Iran. If this has the side effect of improving the situation for gay people worldwide, great, but I am sceptical that doing so is a very high priority for the Trump administration. It's also kind of sketchy that the countries specifically named don't include countries Trump wants to buddy up with, which are known for strong anti-gay sentiments.

Particularly as the administration ostensibly intends to work with the UN on this, yet the US is sitting on a whole pile of UN requests to investigate issues in the USA, and in general the current administration has been acting like petulant children in their prior dealings with the UN.

Launching this so (relatively) close to the next presidential election is a good way of building support without actually needing to take much action. And, yanno, improving domestic discrimination protections for queer folks while they're at it would be nice, and hell of a lot easier than convincing other countries to change their laws.

EDIT: This just floated across my Twitter feed. Doesn’t look good on Trump admin.

Last edited:

Connor J. Coyote

Personally I will take this at face value until we have anything else to go on. Correlation is not causation, and I am not interested in pulling an Alex Jones.
Well, thats cool, taking things at face value can work, also. I kind of do myself also on this issue, (personally).

But.. that said, one has to be honest (and admit it though) - that it is kinda odd, to be banning transgendered service members on the one hand, and then pushing for decriminalization of their existence and activities, on the other.

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
Oh that's great news. May be he should start by fireing homophobes like Mike Pence then, and overthink his initiative to ban transsexuals from serving in the Army. Doing so would also dispel the impression that, this bold civil rights approach is more than just another Iran bashing attempt with LGBTs being instrumentalized for that.

insertgenericnamehere1

1. Smart of the Trump administration to send an openly gay man as ambassador to Germany hahahaha XD. Seriously to anyone that follows politics that's fucking hilarious XD
2. Of course it's PR at this time for Trump. And yes most likely this was politically calculated. So what though, this is what most politicians do, and this is upholding basic human rights, which most countries are obligated to do. Don't think of this as a surprise even from a conservative country or gov't especially developed and Western ones. This is mostly standard procedure and rhetoric from most Western countries regardless of administration, (yes, even the Trump administration) as they will always stand strongly against the violation of basic human rights. This includes sex which is protected under article 2 of the UNDHR (Universal Declaration for Human Rights), and has been modified to include sexual orientation. So in many ways this isn't that important, but still a good thing to be upheld.
3. Most countries that still uphold LGBT discrimination in laws are reinforced by Islamic law in non-secular states which runs in a direct contrast to the Trump administration's agenda, Well, it is hard to predict his agenda, but it is worth mentioning there are exceptions on both sides of this issue such as non Islamic countries with anti-LGBT laws, and sharia law countries with strong Trump ties.

In all reality I think it's Trump trying to appease Americans and potential voters. Nothing more, or less. Yet I believe he would actually like to see more progress on the acceptance of the LGBT community internationally which is not yet accomplished. And this is good.

Last edited:

Dancy

floofy.
i'll be brief here.

if the trump administration hadn't argued in court that anti-discrimination laws don't protect gay people, scaled back workplace protections for gay employees, imposed a transgender military ban, and rescinded protections for transgender students, maybe this would be believable. But the administration even admits they have no concrete plan. so i'm not optimistic at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.