• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Trying to make my first 'sona... Little lost.

Bink

FLOOFY!
So.. um yeah title sums it up. So help me, kaithxbai x3.
Jk I'm not that helpless. I've been recently trying to work on my first ever 'sona and I'm becoming a little frustrated. I have already browsed around and found a few helpful threads to answer some questions I had, but would appreciate whatever additional direct help I can get.

I've already made good use the stickied bio thread (yay :3 ty for that) and started working on the foundation for my 'sona, but I'm becoming frustrated at how unimaginative and creative I am. My fursona so far is a husky/wolf mix *yawn*, has navy blue/white coloring, a name I thought was original until I tried to register with it on the main furaffinity site (my current one, this one really hurt the most :c) *starts to nod off*, and my fursona's bio is turning out to be a slightly different version of what I would have if I were an anthro husky *zzzzzzzzzz*. Yeh total snooze-fest I know.

Thats my #1 issue.. um not sure what advice you can give besides "git gud" as its mostly an issue of me being boring. I want to make a good 'sona but at the same time this is all really new to me and I'm finding it more difficult than I anticipated. That brings me to issue #2. As well as boring, I'm also a lousy artist not artistic at all (yet!), but I've seen some nice "blank" ref sheets but I'm not sure what to do with them. Know of any good ones? What program do you edit them in? Please keep the suggestions of a monetarily devoid nature, If I had money I'd just commission something.
Thanks in advance to anyone patient enough to read through this and offer advice.

P.S. Sorry for the text wall.. um.. it's what I do.

I guess I would ask if you had a particular goal in mind for having a sona. Are you creating your sona for yourself or for others?

I think of my sona as an extension of myself; I can exaggerate characteristics I wish I had and downplay the ones I'd rather not have. It's a bit of escapism by being the bridge between the real world and a cartoony world where there are many fun furries to interact with and amazing art to look at along the way. I suppose it's also my way to deal with social anxiety. If your philosophy is similar, then does it really matter if your sona looks "boring"? You can add clothing or props to differentiate your sona's appearance, but a sona includes personality and backstory, too.

Unless your goal is to get a fursuit right away and become a popular entertainer, I suppose it helps (but isn't required) that you have a distinguished design. Personally, I think you should stay with a design *you* like and not worry so much what others think of it.

Can't help you with the art part. I commissioned all my artwork because I have 0 artistic talent. I know a few artists who will do a full body color image for less than $20.

Bink

FLOOFY!
I guess I would ask if you had a particular goal in mind for having a sona. Are you creating your sona for yourself or for others?

I think of my sona as an extension of myself; I can exaggerate characteristics I wish I had and downplay the ones I'd rather not have. It's a bit of escapism by being the bridge between the real world and a cartoony world where there are many fun furries to interact with and amazing art to look at along the way. I suppose it's also my way to deal with social anxiety. If your philosophy is similar, then does it really matter if your sona looks "boring"? You can add clothing or props to differentiate your sona's appearance, but a sona includes personality and backstory, too.

Unless your goal is to get a fursuit right away and become a popular entertainer, I suppose it helps (but isn't required) that you have a distinguished design. Personally, I think you should stay with a design *you* like and not worry so much what others think of it.

Can't help you with the art part. I commissioned all my artwork because I have 0 artistic talent. I know a few artists who will do a full body color image for less than $20.
Wow, I think you hit the nail on the head... I’m really just overthinking that part I suppose. It’s easy to get discouraged though, seeing all these amazing ‘sonas and artwork, but I’m sure those people have been perfecting it for years. I supposes it’s not fair for me to jump straight in and expect perfection x3.
$20 you say? Hm.. might be something I could consider in the future after I’ve developed my sona a bit.
Thanks.
P.S. love your sona!

Kenna_the_sergal

Little Sergal Hermit
If you still need advice on editing the free for use reference sheets, I would recommend using paint.net. It's not too much of a hassle to work with, updated a lot, and it has TONS of community made plugins if you need to do something with the image that you inherently can't with the program (i.e. mirroring part of it). Plus, the best part is that it's free!

Bink

FLOOFY!
If you still need advice on editing the free for use reference sheets, I would recommend using paint.net. It's not too much of a hassle to work with, updated a lot, and it has TONS of community made plugins if you need to do something with the image that you inherently can't with the program (i.e. mirroring part of it). Plus, the best part is that it's free!
Thanks! much appreciated, I'll definitely be checking it out. Free is perfect, it's just what my budget allows hah!
Thanks for the help both of you.

Bink

FLOOFY!
Wow it's already been 2 weeks since I posted this..? Anywho, thanks for the advice everyone. I've made A LOT of progress towards making my fursona, mainly backstory and general characteristics... but I'm starting to get a little paranoid (again XD) on how to keep this character original. I know it's not going to be 100%-brand-new-material-never-though-of-awmg-gr8-character... but I eventually want to commission art and maybe even a partial fursuit and I don't want any issues.

First on name.. Already chosen this name for the forum but I noticed someone made an acc for the main FA site that is of the same... exactly. It's a shortened version of the name that's been my persona/character for over 14 YEARS... I even have proof as I have an account for an mmorpg that I originally made the name for, and it tells you how old the acc is. So... needless to say, I want to keep it. Any issues with this? I mean I don't plan on copying the persons fursona on FA, I'm going to have a completely different species/design.

Secondly, HOW THE HECK did you come up with your color scheme or character style? I want something maybe semi-cartoony/realistic. But Im at a loss for body features and color scheme. I've been browsing over different breeds of dogs and think I want to make some sort of hybrid from a combination of one or more features/patterns.

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
Secondly, HOW THE HECK did you come up with your color scheme or character style?
For color scheme, I like to look up color palettes or use coolors.co to generate one. It helps!

Joeyyy

Fresh Prince of FAF
Ive been coming back to FA/FAF for over 10 years and I still find myself changing up my 'sona every so often. I think Ive finally nailed it.

so dont rush it, I guess.

Jackpot Raccuki

Mind your manors
First on name.. Already chosen this name for the forum but I noticed someone made an acc for the main FA site that is of the same... exactly. It's a shortened version of the name that's been my persona/character for over 14 YEARS... I even have proof as I have an account for an mmorpg that I originally made the name for, and it tells you how old the acc is. So... needless to say, I want to keep it. Any issues with this? I mean I don't plan on copying the persons fursona on FA, I'm going to have a completely different species/design.

Secondly, HOW THE HECK did you come up with your color scheme or character style? I want something maybe semi-cartoony/realistic. But Im at a loss for body features and color scheme. I've been browsing over different breeds of dogs and think I want to make some sort of hybrid from a combination of one or more features/patterns.

1. I don't think you should worry about the name, I know I have plenty of OCs who'd most likely conflict with other people's characters, such as mine with generic names like "Fred", "Colin", "Jack", etc. I even have characters with names I doubt anyone would have like "Gridix", "Qwenno", "Valladerix" and more. Worse case scenario is it's basically almost as if it's a direct copy with both the name, colours, but even that's stupidly rare, or at least I mean having the same colours, species, etc.

2. I recommend trying to have your character's colour scheme fit a theme with said character's story or personal life.
For example I have a black furred Labrador character who wears a yellow neck bandanna, yellow pants and yellow boots, yet has green eyes... Which is/was meant to give the impression he works as an engineer which he does.
For species just go with what you think goes with you, don't go all crazy for body features unless it fits.
Like I have a Punk character who I ensured had a spiked hair style, I didn't like the idea of a mohawk, but his hair was spiked up in a way to give a rebellious nature, along with the fact he has a bandage on his right ear and even has a small shaving on his eyebrows, to be honest I can't remember why I put that on other than "REBELLION!" I made it a werefox since I could get away with giving him sharp teeth and fangs more than what a fox would have.

Heck, I've had rare occasions where the story and that came last, I just went with the flow on the colours and that and decided who/what I was shaping in my drawings.

Bink

FLOOFY!
1. I don't think you should worry about the name, I know I have plenty of OCs who'd most likely conflict with other people's characters, such as mine with generic names like "Fred", "Colin", "Jack", etc. I even have characters with names I doubt anyone would have like "Gridix", "Qwenno", "Valladerix" and more. Worse case scenario is it's basically almost as if it's a direct copy with both the name, colours, but even that's stupidly rare, or at least I mean having the same colours, species, etc.

2. I recommend trying to have your character's colour scheme fit a theme with said character's story or personal life.
For example I have a black furred Labrador character who wears a yellow neck bandanna, yellow pants and yellow boots, yet has green eyes... Which is/was meant to give the impression he works as an engineer which he does.
For species just go with what you think goes with you, don't go all crazy for body features unless it fits.
Like I have a Punk character who I ensured had a spiked hair style, I didn't like the idea of a mohawk, but his hair was spiked up in a way to give a rebellious nature, along with the fact he has a bandage on his right ear and even has a small shaving on his eyebrows, to be honest I can't remember why I put that on other than "REBELLION!" I made it a werefox since I could get away with giving him sharp teeth and fangs more than what a fox would have.

Heck, I've had rare occasions where the story and that came last, I just went with the flow on the colours and that and decided who/what I was shaping in my drawings.
Wow, I just want to say thanks for taking the time to type that out. You pretty much confirmed what's I've started to figure myself about the name; the name alone doesn't make the character unique and so I've decided to stop getting anxiety over that part XD lmao. Now I'm devoting my energies into trying to color/set up a generic ref sheet using. I have these amazing images in my head... but I'm a little lost with the actual process of editing them into a blank ref, but I'm finding that there are plenty of guides to help with that (I just need to find the patience).
After the base colored ref is done, I'll then consider tracking down an artist whose style appeals to me so I can commission a nice ref sheet. As for the character I'm not going too crazy (I don't think)... but features I'm considering are big triangular ears (I like fox ears), a booshy slightly curved tail like what a husky would have, and for the pattern I'm not entirely sure. I love a lot of canine patterns like: border collie, Australian shepherd, and husky that I may or may not borrow from. So I'm not even sure what I'm gonna end up with.. some foxdoghusky? A fogusky? X'3. Sorry I couldn't help myself. :p

Tendo64 and Joeyyy; I appreciate your advice too, every bit helps when I have a tendency to over-complicate things. I LOVE how the color palette website works and I think it will be incredibly helpful.

P.S. Also I definitely respect artists a lot more now, I'm struggling at a level which is so basic its funny. All of you who do your own art, I applaud your dedication and skill!