• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Turning Red

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
I'm surprised by the lack of attention shown to this movie in the furry community - it's a perfect animal transformation fantasy.

(I'm not exactly in the loop, so I may have missed discussions about this movie, but I searched and couldn't find any mentions.)

I know it's an analogy for puberty and growing up, and it just occurred to me that fanart could be dodgy as the protagonist is a minor, but goddammit, it's about an anthropomorphic animal. Mei is a natural fursuiter.

Basically I'm asking if this qualifies as furry.

(If this is an inappropriate thread I apologise. I just watched said movie and I loved it.)

y_ncDZBo_400x400.jpg

Edit: sorry, posted in wrong subforum and I don't know how to change it.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I just want cute SFW art of Mei navigating human life as a giant red panda why is this so hard to find!? T_T
Curse you horny furries, make me more cute things.

Side topic: Has anyone noticed that after Zootopia's success more and more anthro-movies are being made? The Bad Guys, Turning Red, etc.
I'm pretty happy to have more anthro movies, we haven't really had any since ye olden disney days with Robin Hood. They're always a treat to watch.

Last edited:

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
Basically I'm asking if this qualifies as furry.
Not sure what counts as a "furry" movie since anything centered on anthro/talking animals is going to have furry appeal. Unless something was deliberately made to cater to furries.

As to fanart, I have seen some stuff that is simply cute, wholesome, or funny, etc. I'd like it to stay that way, but I'm certain there's already stuff that's sketchy at best.

As to posting in the wrong subforum, I think @Flamingo can move it.

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
I haven't seen it yet, I guess I will eventually. Some of the "complaints" from parents online have been amusing - like, they're upset about the themes of a teenager being rebellious, or things relating to girls going through puberty, because "it's a kid's movie." Apparently there is reference to feminine hygiene products. So it would seem a lot of parents just want to completely shelter their kids from ever knowing about anything. I guess they've never seen a Tampax commercial?

Also, the arguments about the main character "rebelling" against her mom. . .like this is the first time Disney has ever done a movie about a rebellious teenage girl. . .:rolleyes:

Of course, it's furry. I mean, she literally changes into an enormous, adorable animal. I predict a bunch of new Red Panda OCs coming soon. I don't love the bean-mouth design of the human characters, and the clips I've seen of the red panda are super cute.

Unfortunately, I don't think the fandom will entirely avoid NSFW art. I haven't personally seen it, but I've heard it's already out there, because there are some gross people who think it's acceptable to make NSFW art about a child/teen character. It's entirely appropriate to tell those artists "dude, gross, she's just a kid" if they're making NSFW art of it.

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
I mean I'm not part of the intended audience.
But I definitely feel like I related to it in other aspects.
Mostly in that when I was 13 my stepmother was also really, really overbearing.

I remember having to hide my yugioh cards like they were weed lmao
Anytime I wanted to do something like that she'd start going on about how I need to start reading textbooks (dry, academic stuff. Horrible Histories was banned) and Classical Literature.

I guess we reached a compromise - I study literature at uni, and I also spend wayyyyy too much on nerd shite.

But yeah, it reminded me of something Lindsey Ellis said in her Guardians of The Galaxy 2 review - "Whilst you probably haven't had a fight with a family member like this, you probably have FELT like you have".

She's got chill since and yes, I do think I was kind of a wannabe adult little shit at times. Which again, is explored by the movie.

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
Recently saw it. I thought it was unique.

It co-insides with some of my personal beliefs with a few differences... I couldn't relate too much to the movie (Probably because I wasn't part of their target audience)… But this still a fun little movie.

This isn't a full blown anthropomorphic universe (Like Zootopia or Beastars) but it does have
some humans transforming into a red pandas.
/ some aspects of the anthropomorphic scenarios.

I (overall) would give this movie a solid 7 out of 10. It is nothing to go out of your way to see, but if you brings some friends or family to watch it with you, it is a nice little thing to do.

^v^'

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
To be honest, I was sceptical with how they would handle the panda, especially after people started raving over it. After doing some research, it looks like they handled it pretty well, so I might watch it sometime if I get the chance.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Turning Red was great!

Important subject matter that clearly resonated with a lot of people; honest acceptance and exploration of puberty and related issues; gorgeous animation; top-notch voice work; HILARIOUS facial expressions.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
Turning Red was great!

Important subject matter that clearly resonated with a lot of people; honest acceptance and exploration of puberty and related issues; gorgeous animation; top-notch voice work; HILARIOUS facial expressions.

I agree with this, and personally I enjoyed the characters a lot and the fact that there wasn't really a villain. I loved Mei, and her friends were awesome/hilarious. I loved the way they stood up for her and supported her.

I even sympathised with Ming (Mei's mom) at the end. Her pain was so real and explained her actions.

Yakamaru

Å nei, cringe
Looks hella overrated. Do Furries flock to ANYTHING anthro like braindead moths to a light?

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
Looks hella overrated. Do Furries flock to ANYTHING anthro like braindead moths to a light?

When it comes to media, what really seals the deal for me is the characters. If the characters pop and are enjoyable to watch, then it improves my experience with a movie or piece of media.