• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Tutorial for Beggining artists

Soupa

The Images used in this thread originated from as well as other sites. I do not take credit for any images not made by myself. http://www.angryraccoon.com/index.htm

Opening
When starting off any drawing it's always best to work from the top down, head to toe. But what you'll need is the tools before you start.
1. Pencil w/eraser
2. Paper
3. Stencil (with multiple circle sizes)
4. Image references such as the animal type you wish to draw real life or cartoon.

The Head
face04.jpg

Starting the head off is relatively easy drawing a simple circle very lightly for future clean-up place curved lines both horizontally and vertically.
Note:The point where the lines cross is where the front of your face will point.
The Next step which will help bring shape to the face is the bridge of the nose, keep in mind the length needs to be similar to that of the animal your attempting to draw. (Example: A dog has an elongated bridge, while a raccoon has a short bridge.)
Start it off just a little bit above the horizontal line, along the vertical line.
example1.jpg
Bridge example

Once you have that you can start next with the eye's. Notice the eye on the right hand side of the first picture head #2. The eye on the right side is a little further away from the bridge than the left side or least shown side of the face. The purpose of this is to provide that 3 dimensional look. At the same time you should start off at the lower section of the eye because the base goes along the curved horizontal line you drew when you started off.
example2.jpg

Now when drawing whether it be a cat or dog (reptiles explained later on), keep in mind there are differences in the characteristics within the head that help define the look of the beast.
example4.jpg

As an adult a cat's ears are much more broad, the nose is pointed and small while a dog's ear floppy or not are more narrow, the nose being wider as well as slightly larger.
An adult cat's cheeks are more curved but short, while a dog's cheek are slightly further away from the nose but less curvy.
And a cat's jaw is slightly pointed and, while a dog's jaw is broad.
The only exception as far as ears go for dogs is if your drawing a pup.

Eyes
Just start by drawing an elongated "U" or a simple curve.
The best way to work on eyes I believe is to take a picture of an eye (say your own) and attempt to copy without tracing, this also helps develop your wrist and fingers for refined detail work in your art. After which you can work towards anime style eyes. The next level in drawing eyes would be to learn to meld the two together for a realistic/anime style set of eyes that would and could be your very own style.
Here are some eye examples.
eyeexample1.jpg

Here's a general breakdown of the entire body
In general there are no real differences in a cat or dog's body, just that dogs are more likely to be slightly wider or overall broader in shape.
male2.jpg

Hands
Just like with the eyes your best off starting with a picture of your hand (left or right, doesn't matter), and to copy without tracing. In the picture below I inked an example of where the pads should go on the hand of a dog or cat based from a human hand.
examplepaws2.jpg

Once you have an idea of where the pads should go your also gonna want to give the remaining part of the hand a more animal like feel, the next pic will help give you some ideas of how this could be done.
examplepaws.jpg

Look around the pad area on the first paw on the left. Notice the fur in place of skin? This is one of the ways a human hand becomes a fur hand.

Next Update I'll be adding  info on legs and feet. Until then practice on these.

foxley

ty for posting the head drawing tutorial i was haveing a tough time with it trying to figure it out on my own.

Soupa

Well it's been my experience, and has been recomended by many professional artist, that the best way to start learning, or training your muscles in your hand is to start off with still life.
For many the head seems to be the toughest part to do, but in reality it's the limbs that are difficult because alot of artists put so much of their attention to detail twards the head and torso, that once they reach the limbs their detail becomes more relaxed.
I myself would take photographs of myself in different poses, studying the muscle structure memorising the direction they not only flow but the changes in curvature.

Grimfang

Wow, this'll be helpful. Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely use this as a reference in the future.

Soupa

They're not my drawing's as I stated in the first few lines of the tut. Credit goes to the guys running www.angryraccoon.com